Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

drat, really? That’s kind of like how Germany has a raccoon problem because a baron or Kaiser imported them because he wanted to hunt different stuff. Or the multitude of snakes and Capybaras on the loose in Florida.

Are the camels mostly in the outback?

Japan got a raccoon problem because a anime featured the animal which led to predictable results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!

LadyPictureShow posted:

drat, really? That’s kind of like how Germany has a raccoon problem because a baron or Kaiser imported them because he wanted to hunt different stuff. Or the multitude of snakes and Capybaras on the loose in Florida.

Are the camels mostly in the outback?

From Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_feral_camel

Some people are using them for milk now so animal control doesn’t have to cull them from helicopters.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Goddamn, Frozen in Time was really good. It's a fairly quick read if you're at all interested in the Franklin stuff.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Reading about the USS Jeannette. Stuck in the arctic ice with canned food. Doctor figured out they had lead poisoning and found the source (can soldering). Cured the crew. U S A U S A :911:

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
And it was the distribution of the wreckage from the Jeanette that inspired Nansen's Fram expedition. :hist101:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don’t know how lead poisoning, scurvy and all the various deprivations suffered by the crew affect long term health but: what's the last point at which most of the men could've been rescued and gone on to live normal-ish lives. Were the lead and other types of damage reversable, could they have been rescued at say, the night of the gallows, or were they dead men walking the whole time?

One of the things that got to me was how Crozier tried to keep up hope no matter how bleak the circumstance or far-gone the man, and if they were doomed from the start even if they did find help would make it even sadder.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

I don’t know how lead poisoning, scurvy and all the various deprivations suffered by the crew affect long term health but: what's the last point at which most of the men could've been rescued and gone on to live normal-ish lives. Were the lead and other types of damage reversable, could they have been rescued at say, the night of the gallows, or were they dead men walking the whole time?

One of the things that got to me was how Crozier tried to keep up hope no matter how bleak the circumstance or far-gone the man, and if they were doomed from the start even if they did find help would make it even sadder.

Lead poisoning can be permanently debilitating, but scurvy goes away in a day or two with vitimins.

So, they probably wouldn't ever have been right in the head again, but everyone could have recovered. Interestingly, if they had been on the opposite side of the island, they never would have been packed in. Apparently the side of the island the ships ended up on is almost always frozen over, while the opposing channel remains clear...

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also had they decided to cross the Boothia Peninsula of going south they would have met Ross's rescue party that arrived 5 months after they abandoned ship.]

grobbo
May 29, 2014
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-terror-renewed-amc-1202854102/

It’s coming back!

The S2 concept sounds great to me - I’m very excited about this as the Globetrotting Horror Folklore + Man’s Long History Of Inhumanity To Man Show, as opposed to them tackling another expedition, or another disappearance.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Despera posted:

Also had they decided to cross the Boothia Peninsula of going south they would have met Ross's rescue party that arrived 5 months after they abandoned ship.]

It's also the strategy Ross/Parrry used on one of their ill fated expeditions to survive.

They gambled that the chance of rescue was higher since they part of the Arctic was better mapped and also occasionally attracted whaling ships.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess knowing it's supposed to be a horror show won't make it as bad. I had no idea this show was supposed to be a fantasy horror show and came in assuming it was a historical telling of trying to find the northwest passage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I guess knowing it's supposed to be a horror show won't make it as bad. I had no idea this show was supposed to be a fantasy horror show and came in assuming it was a historical telling of trying to find the northwest passage.

Maybe that is what happened irl, how do YOU know

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

The show was awesome, but it seems possible the real story (as well as we know it) could have been more interesting. Fascinating update from Woodman after the Erebus was found: http://www.ric.edu/faculty/rpotter/woodman/inuittales_terror.pdf

Anyone know if he's written anything since?

Edit: also in 2007 some of my friends and family (don't dox me) did a canoe trip up the Back River and ended up in Gjoa Haven on King William Island. Looks like the photo page is gone but you can see the route here: http://www.transarcticexpedition.com/route.html
Some photos here: http://www.transarcticexpedition.com/tripJournal.html

They encountered much more ice than expected, and started their trip dragging the canoes 80 miles over ice, in June. Trip updates seem to have been left out of the main site index: http://www.transarcticexpedition.com/tripUpdates.html

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 22, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SurgicalOntologist posted:

The show was awesome, but it seems possible the real story (as well as we know it) could have been more interesting. Fascinating update from Woodman after the Erebus were found: http://www.ric.edu/faculty/rpotter/woodman/inuittales_terror.pdf

Anyone know if he's written anything since?

Oooh cool, I'm gonna read this.

When I read the book like 10 years ago, I recall reading about his process and Simmons really did put in a lot of research and considered the various theories surrounding what happened to the Expedition. It was written before either ship was found, so we have the benefit of new knowledge to critique the book/show's plot. He thought it likely that the tins were the culprit, but he's a horror writer by trade so he put in the supernatural twist. It is a fascinating story that captivated even contemporary English people and a purely historical fiction account of it would probably be great as well. But they were adapting a specific work, giant scary monsters work great on the TV and create action beats, and otherwise the action is just a bunch of dudes sitting around slowly dying of scurvy and lead poisoning.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I would have really enjoyed a purely historical telling of this story, but given that he killed the bear at the end you could just chalk everything up to lead poisoning making them crazy if you really wanted.

I mean, once he got away from the tins, Crozier never saw Tunbaaq again... :smugbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

grobbo posted:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-terror-renewed-amc-1202854102/

It’s coming back!

The S2 concept sounds great to me - I’m very excited about this as the Globetrotting Horror Folklore + Man’s Long History Of Inhumanity To Man Show, as opposed to them tackling another expedition, or another disappearance.

I was very impressed with the first season so I'll watch it through but I don't know if it'll be quite the same.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Still on episode 7 please dont spoil me, but is there a map of the real world regions/trail that this took place?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Still on episode 7 please dont spoil me, but is there a map of the real world regions/trail that this took place?

The actual routes are unknown, but the region is heavily mapped: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_William_Island

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Dammit I really don't want anything bad to happen to Francis and Fitzjames after that brotherhood scene. gently caress is his show good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Dammit I really don't want anything bad to happen to Francis and Fitzjames after that brotherhood scene. gently caress is his show good.

Good grief that was such a good scene and I now want Jared and Tobias on every show.

Also, bluray is up for pre-order! :woop:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-te...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

:(

The last scene passed from sweet bromance to a little romantic. Still quite beautiful.

Noo friends don't leave Francis alone

I love this show beyond what I ever thought going into it. All the characters are nuanced and have substance. A lesser show would have made the commander who died a complete Michael from the office tit, but he was quite a good leader in his own way. Same with the typical theme of these sorts of shows showing the savagery of civilization, but a lot of the crews strength draws on rituals and traditions of the Navy in quite a wonderful way. One that contrasts the usual depiction of staunch traditionalism as a weakness.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 24, 2018

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_Bay

They found the actually Terror in Terror Bay in 2016. It was named that in 1910. :psyduck: :tinfoil:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_Bay

They found the actually Terror in Terror Bay in 2016. It was named that in 1910. :psyduck: :tinfoil:

It was a coincidence but not as big as it sounds. Many things were named after the expedition in that area.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What was the point of dressing up in forks for the bear?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Like a blowfish or porcupine. So when Tuunbaq ate Blanky, it’d cut up his insides something fierce.

He decided ‘Welp, I’m gonna die, but I’m gonna gently caress up that Bear when I do.’

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It was a final gently caress you move to make the meal unpleasant as possible.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
He was also crazy with lead poisoning! :downsrim:

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

LadyPictureShow posted:

Like a blowfish or porcupine. So when Tuunbaq ate Blanky, it’d cut up his insides something fierce.

He decided ‘Welp, I’m gonna die, but I’m gonna gently caress up that Bear when I do.’

If you can go back and watch, look for the moment that Blanky turns around, sees the tuunbaq, and then tugs on the rope to make all the forks stand up on end like porcupine quills

the chad Blanky

Caufman
May 7, 2007
British men hoard metals in their bodies towards the end of their lives. Blankly liked silverware, Lt. Little liked gold.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jikes posted:

If you can go back and watch, look for the moment that Blanky turns around, sees the tuunbaq, and then tugs on the rope to make all the forks stand up on end like porcupine quills

the chad Blanky

He also had a massive smile what he did this.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Caufman posted:

British men hoard metals in their bodies towards the end of their lives. Blankly liked silverware, Lt. Little liked gold.

They all too stocked up on the lead.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
:hmmyes: So true, so true.

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.

etalian posted:

He also had a massive smile what he did this.

He may have had a different outlook on the situation, if he'd known it was going to devour his soul.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
No actors from The Terror got an Emmy nomination. Disappointing.

(I hope Darren Criss gets it. He was so creepy in Versace)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also the Terror didn't get a best limited series nod, that went to uh The Alienist and Genius: Picasso

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

zoux posted:

Also the Terror didn't get a best limited series nod, that went to uh The Alienist and Genius: Picasso

That's disappointing. Haven't seen the Alienist, but Genius: Picasso was boring as hell and a big step down from last season.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

bitchymcjones posted:

HOT loving GARBAGE CAT! :mad:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bitchymcjones posted:

I’m not exactly up on when Emmy nominations end for a given year. Would The Terror be nominated for next year’s Emmys? Though even if it was, people will probably have forgotten it by then. :sigh:

Jarred Harris deserves Emmys for categories he’s not even eligible for.

People have no goddamn taste.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The emmys are loving trash anyways, gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m not exactly up on when Emmy nominations end for a given year. Would The Terror be nominated for next year’s Emmys? Though even if it was, people will probably have forgotten it by then. :sigh:

Jarred Harris deserves Emmys for categories he’s not even eligible for.

People have no goddamn taste.

To be eligible for this year's Emmy, a show must premiere before April 27. The Terror premiered at the end of March