Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's see how big that river is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Let's see how big that river is.

This sounds good. We need more info to make our next decision.

Goonpa's adventure sounds pretty nice so far. The wilderness has been kind to him, he's having warm meals, each day winds down with a fire and a tent, and he doesn't have to worry about thirst.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What I'm learning from this game is 'move to canada and live off the generous bounty of mother nature'.

Either that or 'always carry your Ancestral Rock for luck'

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

WRT the Edible Greens a couple posts back: http://northernbushcraft.com/guide.php?ctgy=edible_plants&region=bc

There are a lot of options probably.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I looked up edible plants in my native Florida, and apparently it's actually really hard to accurately find edible plants because of how weird the state is. The climate goes through some big swings from blisteringly hot and humid to freezing cold for short periods and we have plants transplanted from other areas. A lot of plants don't exactly look like the guide books say they're supposed to.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
If we cannot raft this river then ditch the raft. If we weigh more than the raft can support, why did we bring it?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

habituallyred posted:

If we cannot raft this river then ditch the raft. If we weigh more than the raft can support, why did we bring it?

For the same reason that we chose to be an elderly obese dwarf in the first place and for the same reason we're also carrying a rock.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Not sure if the game models it, but a viable river-crossing method would be to load our gear on the raft, then hang on to it while in the river (river might be too cold for us to actually swim, but it's conceivable that we could be able to ford it if not fully loaded down).

It's also an alternative shelter, or potentially a place to melt snow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

habituallyred posted:

FORD the river

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
lol in this weather getting wet in anything short of a full loving drysuit is a one way ticket to frostbite, hypothermia, and death

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kangra posted:

Not sure if the game models it, but a viable river-crossing method would be to load our gear on the raft, then hang on to it while in the river (river might be too cold for us to actually swim, but it's conceivable that we could be able to ford it if not fully loaded down).

It's also an alternative shelter, or potentially a place to melt snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLQB0WpTvJk

Jumping into the river when it's cold enough to be snowing is basically the #1 thing to do to die.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Twenty ounces of potatoes and seven hours of walking, with only short breaks for eating, drinking and resting, finally brings us to the long awaited Intheway River. Going is *incredibly* slow, what with the snow, the sloping terrain, and Goonpa being a obese octogenarian dwarf with a very heavy load on his back. Last speed estimate I saw (these show up semi-randomly as far as I can tell, and are impossible to screenshot) placed us at 0.2 mph which is, uh, ridiculously slow. Assuming this is indeed our average speed, it would take us 19 days to walk the width of the map, if we we never took breaks or slept. Aiming for a more realistic ten hours walking time per day, that's roughly 45 days of walking. Let's, uh, hope that's not actually our average walking speed. :ohdear: Aaaaanyway letsnotthinkaboutthisnowokay.

We basically have two choices as this point. Three if we consider death by hypothermia by way of swimming an option (at least it would be extremely quick at this temperature). Either we risk it all on the raft being able to carry Goonpa's bloated body, or we hike upriver until we can round it. Judging from seeing the river up there in the distance, it could be adding quite a few miles to our journey. At least the game helpfully lets us automatically follow the river shore, making it a good way to navigate.

I'll admit it: In my heart of hearts, I was really hoping for the river to be frozen, rendering all the in depth discussion of river fording and raft carrying moot. No such luck, however.

The mandatory view of steep mountain.

A rare glimpse of Goonpa actually being full - somehow the last few ounces of potatoes took him all the way from very hungry to filled. He's quiet, already having walked as much today as he did in total the two previous days.

The moment of truth, folks:

Do we ford raft the river, or take the long way around?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to say raft it. If it's going to take us 45 days to cross the map, I simply can't see us having enough food through foraging and rationing to survive that long even if we don't encounter a single mishap.

Either the raft makes it and potentially gives us a shot at survival, or it sinks and we die of hypothermia before we die of starvation.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Raft
If we can't raft, at least hypothermia is quicker than walking around the river and starving.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Since we don't have any wolves, sheep and/or bushels of grains to carry 2-at-a-time, Rafting should be pretty easy.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think we've gone roughly 7 miles in what, three days? Raft time

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Goonpa would take one look at that hill and decide he'd rather risk death than climb. Raft

e: Would resting for an hour or two help our tiredness? Being well-rested for the ordeal seems smart. Also, make sure we've got our wool gear on, no synthetics.

lofi fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 12, 2018

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Raft

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Raft. But... maybe we should consider ditching our ancestral rock... and have a serious look at everything else too.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Iunnrais posted:

Raft. But... maybe we should consider ditching our ancestral rock... and have a serious look at everything else too.

You fool! That rock is how we managed to survive these past couple days! How do you think we got that premonition about the wolf, which as a result we managed to avoid? How would we manage to travel all this way in our condition, if not for this blessed rock?

No rock, no life!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Caulk the wagon and attempt to cross

(raft)

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

An artist's depiction of Goonpa rafting across the frozen river.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Raft, but seconding the double-check of our clothes.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
If this works we definitely need to also raft the dogleg river all the way to the very end, and maybe that other river further west afterwards. Walking is not suited for a goon of our caliber.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Ynxoqo8gw

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...I think I'm moving faster than 0.2mph right now, and I'm still in bed. Sheesh.

Can we find out anything more about the river via commands? How deep it is, how fast the water's moving, if there are handy rocks/branches etc? If we do decide to raft it we want the narrowest point and preferably want to aim for slow moving areas and/or obstacles to stop us getting pushed downstream. If it's shallow enough we might consider wading - admittedly the chances of it being shallow enough for our dwarf here to get away with it are basically zero, but in reality wet feet is less of a risk than wet everything provided we deal with it immediately on the other side and absolutely do not get our clothing wet. It might be cold enough that the edges are frozen in slower spots, too.

Heck, given that Goonpa's about as wide as he is tall he probably has enough literal blubber to trivialise the hypothermia risk anyway. Losing a couple of fingers or toes is better than dying.

And no, absolutely do not drop the lucky rock. (It doesn't weigh enough to make a difference anyway.)

Another argument in favour of rationing - if we cut Goonpa's intake down enough he might have lost enough weight by the time we reach the other river to make the raft a better idea.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well dang.

Coolguye posted:

lol in this weather getting wet in anything short of a full loving drysuit is a one way ticket to frostbite, hypothermia, and death

This isn't wrong. If we go in, we're probably gonna die. In this environment, exposure is the #2 threat right after rivers of icy death. Falling into one, if it doesn't immediately kill you (freezing water has a bunch of really neat effects on your body if you fall into it) will have you uncontrollably shivering within a minute. Good luck making a fire.

The proper way to do it in freezing water is shown off on one of my favourite shows of all time, Lars Monsen crossing Canada (8252 kilometers) on foot. He takes off all his clothes and swims across with his pack, then has to go back over the river to get his stupid loving dogs who refuse to swim over, then when he makes it across he dries himself as best he can, puts his dry clothes back on and makes a fire. He still almost loving kills himself (because he actually had to go several times to set up his camera and whatnot).

I doubt Goonpa is going to be able to do the same.

If that raft sinks, we are dead. I'm just asking, is the reason we're so slow that there's snow on the ground and we need to improvise some snowshoes or something? Because right now going around this river is looking mighty attractive. I suggest we go around.

Better to starve having made it halfway. After all, we don't instantly die if we run out of food, so there's some leeway. Looking at that river now it feels to me like a stupid risk, and stupid risks in survival situations is how you die.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Nah. I’m more fit then goonpa but I’ve done the whole hypothermia test. Hole in the ice, jump in with clothes, get out, change clothes to warmer ones and then started a fire.

Sure controlled environment and dry change of clothes. But it’s not even that difficult. Getting up from the hole without ice picks and making a fire while shaking was difficult.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Interestingly, we probably aren't that far from the end of the river! Steep mountain is directly inline with big mountain, giving us a semi-decent fix on our position.

It appears to me that we're about 2 miles to the 'end' of the river, and from the look of the map the game doesn't devote resources to the fact that the top of a river on a mountain is likely to be at the head of a very steep valley. The river will just end.

If we were to raft over, what would be the best to do post crossing? Presumably you'd light a fire immediately, dry yourself as best you can and spend the rest of the day in your sleeping bag. Or would it be better to stay active?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Jaguars! posted:

Interestingly, we probably aren't that far from the end of the river! Steep mountain is directly inline with big mountain, giving us a semi-decent fix on our position.

It appears to me that we're about 2 miles to the 'end' of the river, and from the look of the map the game doesn't devote resources to the fact that the top of a river on a mountain is likely to be at the head of a very steep valley. The river will just end.

If we were to raft over, what would be the best to do post crossing? Presumably you'd light a fire immediately, dry yourself as best you can and spend the rest of the day in your sleeping bag. Or would it be better to stay active?

I don't know how the game simulates it, but that what you've posted right there is a solid argument for just going around, we're really not losing much. If we're gonna risk a crossing, might as well do it at dogleg river if we need to.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm just asking, is the reason we're so slow that there's snow on the ground and we need to improvise some snowshoes or something?

Very good question. Covski?

Also, voting raft.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We could go back in time and pack up snowshoes instead of tennis shoes.

Time travel is a mechanic, right?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If we're that close to the source then hell yes go round.

Jaguars is right, that sighting method is really smart and accurate (map updated!), it's only like 2m extra on our journey, we'd lose just as much time trying to dry off as going round, changing my vote. We're gonna have to cross a river eventually, but if we've given ourselves this much handicap we should tryhard to match it.

:haw:

lofi fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 12, 2018

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Snowshoes is an *excellent* idea! Unfortunately the materials are not available here, but any spot where we have trees close to us in our line of vision should be good enough.

Since we're not allowed to row upriver, I'm pointing us in the direction closest to our intended course that the game will allow.

Finger crossed.........

Goonpa did it! :woop: This was far from guaranteed: On my test attempt we almost drowned, as well as lost a fair bit of our supplies.

The crossing took a fair bit of time, and we seem to have been carried a ways downstream in the process. Still, this is a first major obstacle dealt with!

Time to reorient ourselves and chart the next part of our journey. This is the view of our previous 325 degree course. (It's not readily apparent, but we're totally across the river)

Here's the view of Steep Mountain from where we're standing now.

Here's the topo map for reference.

We're currently quite tired after a long day of walking and a dangerous river crossing, so a bit of rest and possibly making a fire might be prudent.

What's our next move? What compass directions do you need views on for planning?

Covski fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 12, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:woop: Goonpa is unstoppable!

I say we rest, then head due west till we hook up with Dogleg River, then follow it for a couple of days. IMO the big question is: do we want to dump the raft? It's heavy, bulky, and we won't be using it for a long time. On the other hand, it probably just saved our life, and walking around Endboss River isn't an option. I think we should keep it, because our horrible walking speed means Cheetos are probably a good day's walk after Endboss River, so powering through is less of an option.

e: Looking at it, if we go round the outside of Dogleg River's possible-swamp, we can raft downstream along Endboss for about 15 miles, so yeah, definitely keep it.

lofi fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 12, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, that was hilariously anti-climactic :v:

I give full credit to our lucky rock.

It's only 2pm, the weather's clear and Goonpa's still full, so I'd be inclined to push on for another hour to 90 minutes before we stop for the night - that should still leave us with enough daylight to get our tent pitched, backpack stowed, fire lit, snow melted, etc etc. If we stop within sight of trees, make snowshoes.

He's tired, but it's not like he can move much slower than he already does.

As for direction, I am very challenged as far as figuring that poo poo out goes and shall defer to my fellow goons.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

Snowshoes is an *excellent* idea! Unfortunately the materials are not available here, but any spot where we have trees close to us in our line of vision should be good enough.

Since we're not allowed to row upriver, I'm pointing us in the direction closest to our intended course that the game will allow.

Finger crossed.........

Goonpa did it! :woop: This was far from guaranteed: On my test attempt we almost drowned, as well as lost a fair bit of our supplies.

The crossing took a fair bit of time, and we seem to have been carried a ways downstream in the process. Still, this is a first major obstacle dealt with!

Time to reorient ourselves and chart the next part of our journey. This is the view of our previous 325 degree course. (It's not readily apparent, but we're totally across the river)

Here's the view of Steep Mountain from where we're standing now.

Here's the topo map for reference.

We're currently quite tired after a long day of walking and a dangerous river crossing, so a bit of rest and possibly making a fire might be prudent.

What's our next move? What compass directions do you need views on for planning?

Holy hell, I would never have believed that.

We ought to go in this direction;

We can skirt close enough to dogleg that if we get in trouble with regards to water, we don't have far to walk. We do not, however, want to follow the river along since that means trudging through what looks like frigid tundra wetlands. You don't want to walk in that soup.

lofi posted:

:woop: Goonpa is unstoppable!

I say we rest, then head due west till we hook up with Dogleg River, then follow it for a couple of days. IMO the big question is: do we want to dump the raft? It's heavy, bulky, and we won't be using it for a long time. On the other hand, it probably just saved our life, and walking around Endboss River isn't an option. I think we should keep it, because our horrible walking speed means Cheetos are probably a good day's walk after Endboss River, so powering through is less of an option.

e: Looking at it, if we go round the outside of Dogleg River's possible-swamp, we can raft downstream along Endboss for about 15 miles, so yeah, definitely keep it.

I think Goonpa is further up than that, doesn't look like we floated far looking at steep mountain.

We want to keep the raft for either crossing dogleg and making a straight shot once we're clear of steep mountain, or for rafting down endboss river (although I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that). Now that we know the raft is functional.

I say rest here for an hour or so, boil up some water if we can, start heading towards the dogleg mountain pass (that cleft there) and make snowshoes at the earliest convenience.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How about we go to dogleg river and raft downstream to the swamp that should be frozen solid anyway and going from there?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It'd be upstream along Dogleg I think.

Steep Mountain River Valley is the lowest point we've seen, and that's where one end of the river is. The other end is in the swampy basin between two mountains - it's not steep, but I'm pretty sure it's the high end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah, we're following dogleg upstream. No way are we rafting up that.

Gotta say, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this LP.