Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

Full UHD discs. I doubt they will redo the standard blu-ray, but I’m guessing they will use the same master that’s currently available on iTunes. And it looks like you can buy them individually. Details are a little scarce right now.

Boooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I'm trying to use mymovies from bluray.com to keep a log of my collection. Does anyone know a way to log more than one disc at a time? Doing this one at a time has not been fun.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
THE WHOLE PROCESS OF CATALOGING IS FUN. SCAN.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is it worth it to get a 4K player if you don’t have HDR?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Is it worth it to get a 4K player if you don’t have HDR?

No.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Update on Universal Monsters:

Alongside the Invisible Man and Creature sets, Universal is also releasing a 30-film box set with all six Legacy collections, plus the 1943 Phantom of the Opera and all three Abbott & Costello monster movies. They released a DVD edition of this back in 2014.

Homeybeef posted:

I'm trying to use mymovies from bluray.com to keep a log of my collection. Does anyone know a way to log more than one disc at a time? Doing this one at a time has not been fun.

Nope, though the aforementioned barcode feature of the iPhone app helps speed things up.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Homeybeef posted:

I have the pro app for the Android, so I don't know if every version has it, but when I go to scan a barcode there's a toggle between single and multi scan at the bottom right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Im def being cheap but does anyone have a Monster Squad download code? I could trade you something. Not sure what though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MVD is releasing Frank Zappa's 200 Motels on August 14 as on DVD only, but will be widescreen with stereo sound.

My guess is that another studio has the Blu-ray rights since MGM has an HD transfer, even with shortcomings of it being shot on video.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Heh, Shout! Factory confirmed they approached Paul Rudd to contribute to the Mac & Me Blu-Ray, but he declined.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

Heh, Shout! Factory confirmed they approached Paul Rudd to contribute to the Mac & Me Blu-Ray, but he declined.

I guess he realized the joke was getting old.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Today I found out my wife, with whom I saw Jurassic World, was completely unaware of the existence of The Lost World and Jurassic Park III.

So now I have to sit through JP3 again.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

TheScott2K posted:

Today I found out my wife, with whom I saw Jurassic World, was completely unaware of the existence of The Lost World and Jurassic Park III.

That’s movie’s barely feature length. You’ll check your phone and the movie will be over before you can look back.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TheScott2K posted:

Ah, Jurassic Park 3, a movie composed of scenes from the first two books deemed not worthy of making it into the first two movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like JP3 more than Lost World, but I fully admit that it’s a trash movie

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

I guess he realized the joke was getting old.

You shut your mouth!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I envy your wife's former ignorance. Even the trailer scene from TLW doesn't make it worth it.

Jurassic Park could have remained a singular, perfect movie for one soul without your meddling :smith:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I don't think LW is very good but it's interesting enough as a product of its time and the meta-narrative of getting the series off the ground that I still like watching it. JP3 is just like "well the last one made money and Sam Neill is game."

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I can’t hate The Lost World because the ending is the closest we’ll ever get to a live-action Calvin & Hobbes film.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

david_a posted:

I can’t hate The Lost World because the ending is the closest we’ll ever get to a live-action Calvin & Hobbes film.

I was certain they we're about to smash to "To Be Continued" when the trex roared into the horizon and the movie kept going.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

feedmyleg posted:

I envy your wife's former ignorance. Even the trailer scene from TLW doesn't make it worth it.

Jurassic Park could have remained a singular, perfect movie for one soul without your meddling :smith:

For some reason I had it in my head that the studio refused to give Spielberg the cash to make Amistad unless he directed TLW same as the original and Schindler's List, but turns out he did it of his own volition.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

feedmyleg posted:

He said Jurassic World

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

I was certain they we're about to smash to "To Be Continued" when the trex roared into the horizon and the movie kept going.

Oh, hell, maybe even just end with the ship getting away with unknown dinosaurs on board, that's an even better sequel hook. But it yeah, TLW is case study of why less is more.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I fully expect Jurassic World: Revenge of the Fallen to continue the series' trend of getting worse with each installment. The Lost World should have killed everyone off straight away and focused on a Goldblum & Postlethwaite dino adventure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think I would definitely watch Transformers vs. Jurassic Park

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think I would definitely watch Transformers vs. Jurassic Park

Didn't they already make that? And it turns out the main robot was at Camelot or something? I'm basing this off a trailer I may have seen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout! Factory is releasing collector's editions of Exorcist II: The Heretic (with two cuts), City Slickers, and Valley Girl.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lizard Combatant posted:

Didn't they already make that? And it turns out the main robot was at Camelot or something? I'm basing this off a trailer I may have seen.

gently caress if I know, I stopped watching after the second transformers. I really just wanna see an allosaurs and giant robot punching each other in the face.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I don't think LW is very good but it's interesting enough as a product of its time and the meta-narrative of getting the series off the ground that I still like watching it. JP3 is just like "well the last one made money and Sam Neill is game."

Nah. JP3 is just like "We threw our script out 3 weeks before production and have to improvise a blockbuster film around Sam Neill."

Sir Lemming posted:

He said Jurassic World

Right, he watched that with her. But then said she was unaware of Lost World. Though if someone was blissfully ignorant of Jurassic World's existence and someone else told them, that should be considered a serious crime.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 12, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JP3 is a lovely little amuse-bouche, an inoffensive nothing of a movie. It is a cinematic breath mint.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As far as blockbusters improvised with no script, it's right there below Iron Man. But there's not a whole lot of success stories in that particular camp.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber is having another sale, this time on their main site:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/holiday2017

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I never saw The Lost World, but I've watched this clip at least four hundred times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGs4dcUg-MY

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

feedmyleg posted:

As far as blockbusters improvised with no script, it's right there below Iron Man. But there's not a whole lot of success stories in that particular camp.

It also has no ending because the studio wouldn't pay for the big Dinosaur/Army battle at the end, so the movie just sort of finishes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Johnston has refuted that—at no point was there a planned military vs. dinosaurs battle. That was all just fanboy speculation based on the seemingly obvious setup.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It's the middle of 2018 and there has never been a bluray of Hud. So very disappointing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's the middle of 2018 and there has never been a bluray of Hud. So very disappointing.

It's a Paramount film, so it'll be Criterion, Kino Lorber, or Olive Films.

However, it was briefly released on DVD about a decade ago, so it's not part of Kino's licensing. They only have Paramount titles that were not released on DVD/Blu-ray yet. But that could change... they initially licensed all unreleased titles from Disney's non-mainline library (Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures), but it was revised to include titles previously released on at least DVD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kull the Conqueror posted:

This but my complaint is Cleopatra Jones.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

This but my complaint is Cleopatra Jones.

Probably will come from Warner Archive soon. They just released Superfly, even if that was more to do with the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Probably will come from Warner Archive soon. They just released Superfly, even if that was more to do with the remake.

Aside from the general awesomeness of the movie, Shelly Winters hamming it up as a kinda sorta Nazi leader of a drug cartel is not to be missed.