Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Alan Smithee posted:

Hey for real have any of the e3 presentations had a female dev other than revolver who was an actress

Ubisoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

My guess, it'll be surreal and also quite tight in the gameplay department. It sounds like your worry is that it'll be overly surreal and not concerned with entertaining the player? I feel like with Hideo's influences including stuff like Terminator and John Carpenter movies, this game will have both David Lynch and Michael Bay's The Rock in it's DNA. At least, he hasn't bored me yet.

I worry it'll be more concerned with being insane than being a playable video game. Basically the perfect game to watch someone else suffer through but no fun to actually play yourself.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Orv posted:

I worry it'll be more concerned with being insane than being a playable video game. Basically the perfect game to watch someone else suffer through but no fun to actually play yourself.

Other than the setting being surreal and some reasonably insane things like the baby stuff, is it really that insane? You're Norman Reedus trying to survive in some weird place, and I guess you'll be trying to do or uncover some sort of thingy along the way. You have gear and guns, you are in an environment that seems to make sense to traverse, it's sure less weird than a lot of NES classics. (Legendary Wings is great, but it sure was weird)

The vibe I get from Hideo giddily sharing stuff about this game, recently tweeting a pic of him trying on all the gear and clothing from the trailer, he's just telling a story he really wants to tell. It seems to be a symbolic surreal one, but it doesn't seem like it'll be impenetrable. And the gameplay in particular might be the most sane aspect of it. What makes you think Hideo is more concerned with being insane? Plus, call me crazy, I propose the idea that he's not even being insane overall. Just a bit out there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Other than the setting being surreal and some reasonably insane things like the baby stuff, is it really that insane? You're Norman Reedus trying to survive in some weird place, and I guess you'll be trying to do or uncover some sort of thingy along the way. You have gear and guns, you are in an environment that seems to make sense to traverse, it's sure less weird than a lot of NES classics. (Legendary Wings is great, but it sure was weird)

The vibe I get from Hideo giddily sharing stuff about this game, recently tweeting a pic of him trying on all the gear and clothing from the trailer, he's just telling a story he really wants to tell. It seems to be a symbolic surreal one, but it doesn't seem like it'll be impenetrable. And the gameplay in particular might be the most sane aspect of it. What makes you think Hideo is more concerned with being insane? Plus, call me crazy, I propose the idea that he's not even being insane overall. Just a bit out there.

I mean I could blithely link any fifteen seconds (or significantly longer in some places) from basically any of the Death Stranding trailers except this weeks and say that that looks like it won't make any sense in the least. Norman Reedus walking around a bunch isn't exactly prime gameplay either, though I get the sense that'll be more of a LotR style montage than something you spend a significant amount of time doing.

I, similarly, don't think it's unreasonable to think that after three years of batshit trailers that make little to no sense and effectively no gameplay (the tiny snippet at the end of this years E3 trailer could easily be in-engine cutscene, it's hard to say) the game might be kind of a mess, mechanically. It's equally possible that Kojima being Kojima is simply unwilling to really give anything away until the game is ready. However I feel pretty confident in saying that between a large amount of the MGS story and backstory being incomprehensible without some level of brain damage and the utter absurdity of some of the Death Stranding stuff, that I am not wholly off-base in wondering if Kojima is actually a decent game designer, or merely an insane but compelling writer.

Though frankly most of it is just my hyperbolic, mostly joking pushback against "A KOJIMA STUDIOS PRODUCTION" auteur worship bullshit.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I dunno what Death Stranding will end up being, but conceptually it has a lot of weird Kojima poo poo in it so I'm willing to chill for a bit more.

PSX was very light on content other than The Holy poo poo Ellie That Was Unnecessary, I feel. Weirdly paced too. The titles are solid tho.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Orv posted:

Though frankly most of it is just my hyperbolic, mostly joking pushback against "A KOJIMA STUDIOS PRODUCTION" auteur worship bullshit.

I'm a fan of the guy because I like his games, I'll see what I think of this one when I play it. Looks promising to me though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm a fan of the guy because I like his games, I'll see what I think of this one when I play it. Looks promising to me though.

That's totally fair, and if nothing else I am intrigued by the tiny snippets of world building we've seen in those trailers. Even if "I've got Extinction Factor" is maybe the dumbest thing to ever come out of someones mouth in a video game. Roll on 20??.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’ve mostly enjoyed Kojima from afar, enjoying the way he has pushed the edges of what big budget video games can be as he dances between interactive and cinematic, while not particularly wanting to play the games. I quite liked MGSV’s gameplay though I get the impression that it was some of the most tame and conventional of the series.

Watching the Death Stranding trailers, knowing Kojima and having read his stick and rope essay, I feel like I have a pretty clear idea of a good chunk of the gameplay.

It looks like a stealth game with lots of transversal elements. You have mysterious and powerful entities you are hiding from, there’s a detector thing attached to a baby that can warn you about them. Your character will get missions to bring stuff from place to place in a hostile environment. A lot of the walking animations we saw in this latest trailer looked a lot like what I spent a lot of time doing in the field in MGSV.

There’s probably lots more gameplay elements to come but the basics seem pretty clear. More stealth, more travel, less shooting but basically a Kojima game.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
you know what would blow my mind like vince mcmahon?? just imagine if david lynch got onboard with hideo kojima

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Booty Pageant posted:

you know what would blow my mind like vince mcmahon?? just imagine if david lynch got onboard with hideo kojima

I like it! Probably more possible than we might think too. David did do some Playstation commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMehuZo3x8

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

So will Nintendo ever fix this assbackward online system? Even more so since they are gonna charge for it now.
which part of it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gravy Jones posted:

But yeah, I really want to see some more non-relentless-murder-machine stuff from Tomb Raider, I loved the last game, but this one isn't doing anything for me from what they've shown so far.

Nvidia has some traversal and tomb raiding gameplay clips in 4k on their channel for us :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You learn this going to any film festival with schlocky revenge films.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

homeless snail posted:

which part of it

The part where I need a phone app to voice chat?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

exquisite tea posted:

Nvidia has some traversal and tomb raiding gameplay clips in 4k on their channel for us :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

Cheers, will check 'em out.

e: That flood sequence looks pretty cool

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 12, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

The part where I need a phone app to voice chat?
probably not

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Disney XD cut off the Sony stream when the kiss occured

https://youtu.be/_bjNSMRU1zI

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lol, sony had a big dreams presentation with multiple live musical acts performing in dreams that wasn't streamed during their after party. are they just not confident in this game or what

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

MGSV involved giving kojima a stupidly huge budget and letting him go and had extremely tight and excellent gameplay to the point where you could play the loving prequel demo to the thing for like twenty hours if you wanted to

all of that game's problems did come from him not being able to finish a game on a budget but that came in the form of the last act being entirely missing, not bad gameplay

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

doingitwrong posted:

I’ve mostly enjoyed Kojima from afar, enjoying the way he has pushed the edges of what big budget video games can be as he dances between interactive and cinematic, while not particularly wanting to play the games. I quite liked MGSV’s gameplay though I get the impression that it was some of the most tame and conventional of the series.

Watching the Death Stranding trailers, knowing Kojima and having read his stick and rope essay, I feel like I have a pretty clear idea of a good chunk of the gameplay.

It looks like a stealth game with lots of transversal elements. You have mysterious and powerful entities you are hiding from, there’s a detector thing attached to a baby that can warn you about them. Your character will get missions to bring stuff from place to place in a hostile environment. A lot of the walking animations we saw in this latest trailer looked a lot like what I spent a lot of time doing in the field in MGSV.

There’s probably lots more gameplay elements to come but the basics seem pretty clear. More stealth, more travel, less shooting but basically a Kojima game.

That's the same read I got from it. I don't think it'll be a hostile environment though, just that every now and then you'll stumble into patches of whatever the big invisible things are. It also sounds like dying is very very bad (for the protagonist at least), because there's a snippet of dialogue about him coming back at the expense of where he is being essentially nuked.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

UberJew posted:

MGSV involved giving kojima a stupidly huge budget and letting him go and had extremely tight and excellent gameplay to the point where you could play the loving prequel demo to the thing for like twenty hours if you wanted to

all of that game's problems did come from him not being able to finish a game on a budget but that came in the form of the last act being entirely missing, not bad gameplay

Probably would have saved some money on voice acting and licensing some music

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

homeless snail posted:

lol, sony had a big dreams presentation with multiple live musical acts performing in dreams that wasn't streamed during their after party. are they just not confident in this game or what

They only had time for third person action games apparently (not Days Gone though.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

I was announced 4 years ago and the studio has been making it for even longer. They coulda disappeared it in all that time if they wanted.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Disney XD cut off the Sony stream when the kiss occured

https://youtu.be/_bjNSMRU1zI

That looks like they cut it off during the kiss (and by extention before the violent gameplay) though? I mean they show two young people holding each other tenderly, looking longingly in each others eyes and kissing and it didn't give me the impression that they were cutting it before more kissing and violence, because those two young people were both women.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

That looks like they cut it off during the kiss (and by extention before the violent gameplay) though? I mean they show two young people holding each other tenderly, looking longingly in each others eyes and kissing and it didn't give me the impression that they were cutting it before more kissing and violence, because those two young people were both women.

That's what he's saying, they cut it because OH NO THE GAYS. It just happened to be proceeded by hours (days) of 4K slaughter of human beings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gravy Jones posted:

It looks an awful lot like someone went "poo poo, cut the feed! CUT THE GODDAMN FEED!"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I was announced 4 years ago and the studio has been making it for even longer. They coulda disappeared it in all that time if they wanted.
yeah and this is the year it comes out so you'd think they'd at least mention it. media molecule is pretty much marketing the game on their own at this point, they had to stream the presentation from their phone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They said beta this year. Its not coming out

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

doingitwrong posted:

I hope it has some boss battles, because even though it may be odd for the narrative, Kojima did some really good boss scenarios. Also the leaks we got earlier about the whole ocean thing after you die seems like it may be legit based on the ending shown in the trailer.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Orv posted:

That's what he's saying, they cut it because OH NO THE GAYS. It just happened to be proceeded by hours (days) of 4K slaughter of human beings.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It looks an awful lot like someone went "poo poo, cut the feed! CUT THE GODDAMN FEED!"

Eh, maybe I was giving them the benefit of the doubt because a lot of the cartoons my kid watches seem pretty fine with this sort of stuff, but I don't really know which networks they're on and we're not in the US. First watch it felt more like you can show the kiss, but make sure you cut it before the violence that follows... but if they've been showing other violent trailers (I assumed those would have been cut as well) I guess not. Probably my bad for giving the benefit of the doubt in the first place.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 12, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gravy Jones posted:

Eh, maybe I was giving them the benefit of the doubt because most of the cartoons my kid watches seem pretty fine with this sort of stuff, but I don't really know which networks they're on and we're not in the US. First watch it felt more like you can show the kiss, but make sure you cut it before the violence that follows... but if they've been showing other violent trailers I guess not. Probably my bad for giving the benefit of the doubt in the first place.

It's very likely one of those things where they'll arbitrarily censor at an absolute certain point. Hugging isn't quite across the line because they could be close friends and harmless ambiguity :pseudo:.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Diabetic posted:

I hope it has some boss battles, because even though it may be odd for the narrative, Kojima did some really good boss scenarios. Also the leaks we got earlier about the whole ocean thing after you die seems like it may be legit based on the ending shown in the trailer.

you play as a courier dude traveling what looks kinda like the russian steppes dodging time-shifting invisible spooks there's going to be boss battles against the spooks as well as the weird Everyone Else You Met

That trailer said quite a bit, it's nice.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's very likely one of those things where they'll arbitrarily censor at an absolute certain point. Hugging isn't quite across the line because they could be close friends and harmless ambiguity :pseudo:.

Makes me wonder how much quicker they would have cut it if it was Joel harmlessly ambiguisly hugging another dude and tucking a bit of stray hair back. We're probably a few console generations away from that though.

I have to admit I felt uncomfortable watching the kiss, but that's because I'm still not over Riley and ready to move on :smith:

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 12, 2018

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Gamerofthegame posted:

you play as a courier dude traveling what looks kinda like the russian steppes dodging time-shifting invisible spooks there's going to be boss battles against the spooks as well as the weird Everyone Else You Met

That trailer said quite a bit, it's nice.

I maybe hyping it up too much but it feels like Silent Hill 2 all over again.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, also: how much of the Last of Bis demo do you guys figure was bullshots?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dias posted:

Oh, also: how much of the Last of Bis demo do you guys figure was bullshots?

None really. The foliage might be a little thicker than the final release will be and maybe less post processing but video games look that good now.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Gravy Jones posted:

I have to admit I felt uncomfortable watching the kiss, but that's because I'm still not over Riley and ready to move on :smith:

Someone corner Naughty Dog and when they say that this game is meant to subvert expectations and won't fall into any tropes ask them if that means they definitely aren't going to play the "Bury Your Gays" card during Part 2.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

They didnt give a date on god of war until february and spiderman only got its date a few month sago i think. One of those 3 games is probably april and one is probably sept but i wont get my hopes up

Ya I am guessing we will get a release date by PSX or Paris Game week for atleast The last of us 2.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Orv posted:

None really. The foliage might be a little thicker than the final release will be and maybe less post processing but video games look that good now.

I could see it being "bullshots" less in terms of look and more in terms of how the AI behaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Orv posted:

The most damning thing you might be able to say is they potentially used a PS4 Pro build instead of the regular PS4 version.

• Locked thread