Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's kind of hard to see what happened -- did that white truck hit one of the poles? Did you report that to PG&E? If you want to PM me where you where, I can send it into PG&E as well. I work with them a lot, so they may actually look into it. Given what just happened, I don't think they'd want to take any chances...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The white truck drove off the road, clipped one pole (the sparking one) and then hit a fence post.

PG&E are likely aware since it knocked power out to a couple of homes and traffic lights and started a grass fire, and the last time power lines caused a fire up here we had wildfires for a week and a half and hundreds of people lost their homes and PG&E are in quite a bit of trouble for it.

(But in case they aren't, it's in Sonoma County and near, but not related to, the three-alarm fire at the pallet factory later that day.)

It'll be hard to miss. Half a field was charred black when I went by this morning.

it's true what they say about CA - our seasons are "drought" and "on fire."

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
What road was that on? I live in Sonoma and thought it looked familiar, but couldn't place it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

38.243389, -122.465167

I sent it in to my contact at PG&E. Hopefully they already looked into it, but you never know...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toe Rag posted:

38.243389, -122.465167

I sent it in to my contact at PG&E. Hopefully they already looked into it, but you never know...

5 km from Bliss.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Isn't it an office or apartment complex now?

e: vineyard.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 7, 2018

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

It's all vineyards now, but still a pretty hill.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dashcam sort of came in handy today.

I-635 has tolled "express" lanes. Some of them are just the old HOV lane, with collapsible barriers than people will frequently drive over at lower speeds when traffic stalls. Main lanes came to a stop, express lane was still flying.

Dashcam caught one car slam into another in the express lane, sorta. Didn't catch the actual accident, but it caught the brake lights come on and the F-150 jump to the side and stop after hitting something (I saw the accident myself, but the cam sits dead center behind the mirror; I heard the screeching tires to my left and looked over). It also caught the last few cars to go by in the express lane.

Driving past the accident, the car that got rearended hadn't passed in the express lane (but they'd passed me a few miles earlier in the regular, non-tolled lanes), and several of the collapsable barriers were broken right where the accident happened. I pulled over, gave my info to the people involved, made sure nobody was hurt, went on to work. Dallas PD called later and got my version of events. Told him I saw the CR-V cross the barriers and take it up the rear end from the F-150. It was an offset rear collision (front right corner of the F-150 hit the left rear corner of the CR-V), and it's a single lane with no shoulder and nowhere to go on that part of the road - so if someone moving at a low speed jumps the barrier into the 75 MPH express lane, some poo poo is gonna go down, and nobody is gonna win. Cop that called me said my version matched the F-150 driver's version, and that the point of impact also backed up what we both claimed happened, but the CR-V driver was claiming something completely different that, in his words, "didn't make much sense". Thanked me for actually stopping and leaving contact info.

Video coming soon, trying to trim it down to just the relevant parts, but the tl;dr of the video is you see several cars go by in the express lane, then there's a wreck, and one of the cars involved wasn't one of the ones that previously passed in the express lane (and there's some broken collapsible dividers right where the accident happened, people always dart across the broken sections - you can drive over the intact areas too, just at a slow speed unless you don't care about your bumper).

Dude was going a bit fast given the stopped traffic in the main lanes (though that lane does have a 75 mph limit.. I'd say he was doing 60), but I'm sure he wasn't expecting someone to play frogger across a collapsible divider in front of him.

Nice thing is this dashcam has a built in wifi hotspot, of sorts, so I can download videos from it to my phone. I was able to toss the unedited video onto an unlisted Youtube link and send it to the driver of the truck before the tow truck showed up (his truck still moved under its own power, but the RF suspension definitely took some damage).

Shortened version. You can juuuuuuust see the CRV move into his lane, but you can only see it in a couple of frames. Otherwise it's just the aftermath. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm58fBY1SVw

Think I'm gonna move the dashcam to the driver's side, that way it has the same field of view that I have.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 8, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, you can clearly see the the three downed dividers just before the freeway signage column, where the CR-V slipped through; the collision looks like it happered right at the column.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since I put the cam in the car I haven't seen poo poo and when people almost clip each other I lose my poo poo so I'm sure the videos are at least a little amusing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I keep the mic turned off on mine.

PainterofCrap posted:

Yeah, you can clearly see the the three downed dividers just before the freeway signage column, where the CR-V slipped through; the collision looks like it happered right at the column.

Bingo. Though you can run over them at low speed without doing any damage (as you saw me do to pull over), they normally bounce right back up. Unless you nail them at a decent clip.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hermaphrodite posted:

What road was that on? I live in Sonoma and thought it looked familiar, but couldn't place it.

I used to work across from the Skypark. I was guessing Arnold Dr.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

I'm hilarious so turning the mic off would be a disservice to anyone who watches these vids.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Only Australians should leave their mics on. I get so made when I watch an aussie dash cam without sound, they do the best cursing.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I swear so bad. Just watching ausie dash cams makes me even feel worse - they have nothing on me. I need to make up new words because sometimes I'm driving my kid - I don't swear much around him, just need to think of something to use in case he's in the car and something happens that ends up on dashcam australia youtube.
You'll know a kids there because he never stops talking about ordering his driver around. That will make any audio unusable if something happens because there will be his voice then *crash* then my likely torrent of curses. I'm trying to keep it to muppet, drongo, tosser instead of the usual dickhead, fuckwit and dumbcunt.

STR posted:

I think a mic can be useful if not at fault. Video may show you plowing into someone at 80, silently, like nothing done to try prevent it. Audio can show your reaction through expletives, that you were paying attention, and your braking etc to prove you were trying to avoid?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 11, 2018

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I have my audio on so I can read license plate numbers out loud.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

I think a mic can be useful if not at fault. Video may show you plowing into someone at 80, silently, like nothing done to try prevent it. Audio can show your reaction through expletives, that you were paying attention, and your braking etc to prove you were trying to avoid?

the inverse can also be true.

we had a guy submit his dashcam footage to prove that he wasn't at fault for rear-ending one of our fleet vehicles - he claimed that our driver braked unexpectedly and that the car's brake lights weren't working.

our driver stated that he braked suddenly because an iguana ran across the road in front of him.

upon reviewing the supplied footage the following things were evident:

- a big iguana did indeed decide that it needed to be on the other side of the street *right then*. Tahoe? What Tahoe?
- none of the brake lights on the Tahoe were working (WTF, GM)

BUT

did I mention that the guy's dashcam was configured to auto-generate and save a clip consisting of the 5 minutes before and after detecting an impact? Including the audio?

because for the four minutes and 58 seconds leading up to the crash he could clearly be heard dialing his cellphone (manually), talking to his wife, hanging up, dialing his phone again (manually), arguing with a contractor, hanging up, then <click-click-click-click-click> as he texted someone <three carlengths ahead the Tahoe drops anchor, locking the right rear> then 2 seconds of silence then gasp! CRUNCH

Claim denied.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Some more content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaHGTHikNvY

Thought this lady was shitfaced. If someone's weaving a little, I just assume they're texting and give them a wide berth. Not this one, she was clipping curbs, nearly sideswiping people, was missing a mirror off her car, etc. I cut it down to 2 clips from the cam (back to back, hence the fade in/out) showing the worst of it (I was pretty far back for the rest of the clips, I didn't want to get caught up in any aftermath if she hit someone).

PD had a chat with her and did a sobriety test. Stone cold sober. :stare: They talked to me after, said there was a "severe cultural and age difference". Yeah uh... if your age is a contributing factor to driving like that, your family needs to take the keys away.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It's like watching someone play Desert Bus irl. :stare:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

STR posted:

PD had a chat with her and did a sobriety test. Stone cold sober. :stare: They talked to me after, said there was a "severe cultural and age difference". Yeah uh... if your age is a contributing factor to driving like that, the police/courts needs to take the keys away.
Fixed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Since it was suburb cops that chatted with her, that may very well happen. I hope.

Had it been Dallas, they wouldn't have bothered to show up until a few hours, maybe the day after, if she'd hit someone (and even then only if they were injured). Nothing against Dallas PD, but they're woefully understaffed (they also pay significantly less compared to most cities here; most cops that sign on with them jump ship for the suburbs after a few years - https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dallas-Police-Department-Recruitment-Falling-Short-471708174.html has a little blurb).

The suburb PD still stopped her, even though we wound up in Dallas by the time they caught up. I know TX cops have statewide jurisdiction, but I've rarely see them cross into other cities for anything like this unless they can observe the behavior and light them up before they leave the city.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 12, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

Fixed.

You're going to have to talk to lawmakers who are terrified of the retiree demographic about that.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've looked back a few pages and can't find an obvious "buy this" for a camera. What are some good options right now?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've looked back a few pages and can't find an obvious "buy this" for a camera. What are some good options right now?

I wrote this a couple months ago, AFAIK know nothing major has changed except that there's probably more reviews of Yi dashcams available.

Scruff McGruff posted:

G1W - The G1W is still a solid entry-level camera, just make sure it comes from a good seller like Blueskysea or Black Box and has a supercap instead of a battery. Also, don't expect it to last for more than a year, many do but it's not that uncommon for them to start to die, the one in my wife's car has been going for about 3 years now and just started on its way out but I went through two others that lasted about 11 months.

A118/A119 - These are pretty universally recommended and have some two-camera options now too. Just be aware that there are a whole lot of dashcams that have the same shell but use garbage internals. They're usually called something else but some are still advertised as A118/A119 so it can be hard to tell if it's legit or not. I think there's also a fair amount of variety within the A118 series as far as what processor/camera it has depending on when it was manufactured. So do some research before buying to make sure it's a legit A118 and, if you're paying full price, that it has the most up-to-date internals.

Mobius - The Mobius is a little dated at this point but is still a good choice if you're not looking to spend too much and it has the added benefit of being able to double as an action camera if that's something you want.

MINI 0806/0906 - The Mini dashcams are getting solid reviews at a great price point, the 0806 has been around a while, it initially had some QA and firmware issues so it's reviews look a little low on sites like Amazon, but AFAIK those have all been resolved so now it's a solid single cam and they more recently released the 0906 dual cam which I just put in my car and has been great, especially if you're looking for a front and rear camera system for less than $200 which is almost impossible to find.

On the upper end, Blackvue is king but is priced accordingly, you really can't go wrong with anything they make. Garmin also makes some solid but pricey cameras, as does Panasonic.

I've also heard that Yi is making dashcams now? They were the first Chinese manufacturer to build a action cam that could compete with GoPro but at a faction of the price, so I wouldn't be surprised if their dashcam is pretty good for the money. I don't know anything else about them though so :shrug:

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 12, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The Yi looks good from what I have seen (techmoan, dashcam sites).
the 806 and a118 look bad as the vids I see from them seem worse quality than my really old still working g1w.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Fo3 posted:

The Yi looks good from what I have seen (techmoan, dashcam sites).
the 806 and a118 look bad as the vids I see from them seem worse quality than my really old still working g1w.

Yeah, with both the A118 and the 0806 you really need to make sure you get the newest version because both models had some major QA and firmware issues in their earlier releases, they're also both heavily copied/counterfeited so that adds another layer of stuff to sift through to find the good ones.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been thinking of upgrading from my Genius setup. It's been OK, I replaced the battery (it's soldered in, and I had to order it on aliexpress) but the quality just isn't great, the mount is kind of crapped up, and it can't cope with the dirty power my car produces so the audio has always been garbage.

So I'm thinking of spending as much as $300 or so for a good quality front and rear. I'm assuming based on that list I should look at Blackvue/Garmin/Panasonic, but are there any model recommendations for those?

Another option I have is to replace my car stereo and put in a reverse cam as well. We were in Ireland a couple weeks ago and our rental car had a reverse cam and I loved it. My car has a double-DIN space with just a lovely CD player in it that I could tear out and replace. Has anyone gone with a combination of forward/rear dashcam + reverse cam + in-dash electronics setup that they're happy with?

e. Should I be asking in the car stereo thread instead?

Also whatever happened to that goon who was designing a new dashcam?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading from my Genius setup. It's been OK, I replaced the battery (it's soldered in, and I had to order it on aliexpress) but the quality just isn't great, the mount is kind of crapped up, and it can't cope with the dirty power my car produces so the audio has always been garbage.

So I'm thinking of spending as much as $300 or so for a good quality front and rear. I'm assuming based on that list I should look at Blackvue/Garmin/Panasonic, but are there any model recommendations for those?

Another option I have is to replace my car stereo and put in a reverse cam as well. We were in Ireland a couple weeks ago and our rental car had a reverse cam and I loved it. My car has a double-DIN space with just a lovely CD player in it that I could tear out and replace. Has anyone gone with a combination of forward/rear dashcam + reverse cam + in-dash electronics setup that they're happy with?

e. Should I be asking in the car stereo thread instead?

Also whatever happened to that goon who was designing a new dashcam?

I paired a Koonlung K1S with a Jensen VX7022 in my last car and it worked pretty well. The only thing to keep in mind with using a rear dashcam vs. a dedicated rear cam is that a dashcam's field of view is going to be different, it's designed to see a lot of road behind you and to the sides while a backup cam is generally at a much steeper angle looking down to give you a good idea of the distance between your bumper and whatever's behind you. A lot of head units support external rear cams now and almost all dashcams output video (usually mini-HDMI). My only concern would be if you use a two channel system, whether the dash cam's firmware supports sending only the rear camera out. A lot of them have a set way of doing video out whether it's a 50/50 split or picture-in-picture. The K1S was nice in that it lets you select either of those or just front/just rear, so that's something you might have to ask about on the dashcamtalk or techmoan forums about for whatever model you decide to get.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

nm posted:

Only Australians should leave their mics on. I get so made when I watch an aussie dash cam without sound, they do the best cursing.

Fookin' wanker!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FuturePastNow posted:

Fookin' wanker!

Dickhaead!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Checks out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

I paired a Koonlung K1S with a Jensen VX7022 in my last car and it worked pretty well. The only thing to keep in mind with using a rear dashcam vs. a dedicated rear cam is that a dashcam's field of view is going to be different, it's designed to see a lot of road behind you and to the sides while a backup cam is generally at a much steeper angle looking down to give you a good idea of the distance between your bumper and whatever's behind you. A lot of head units support external rear cams now and almost all dashcams output video (usually mini-HDMI). My only concern would be if you use a two channel system, whether the dash cam's firmware supports sending only the rear camera out. A lot of them have a set way of doing video out whether it's a 50/50 split or picture-in-picture. The K1S was nice in that it lets you select either of those or just front/just rear, so that's something you might have to ask about on the dashcamtalk or techmoan forums about for whatever model you decide to get.

Hmm. Yeah I'll need to do my research. I might be OK with separate systems - dashcam recording front and rear, and head unit hooked up to a reverse cam. Since I likely don't need to record the reverse cam and probably don't need the dashcam output on the head unit. I just wondered if there was an all-in-one setup available out there I could just buy as a package. Thanks for the info though.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Anyone have any suggestions for mounting a camera to plastic trim? I don't want to marr it too badly or punch holes through it unless I have to. I have a 2016 GTI and the 3M VHB seemed to be holding the rear camera to the trim piece but then it started falling off every couple of days. This is in Houston heat but I'm thinking this is mainly the material being oily/"gassing" out as the same tape is holding an arlo camera up on a cast zinc light at the office, outdoors, in full sun. It has a little cross-hatched pattern in the surface of the trim which seems like it may be effectively lowering the contact patch across the whole tape, too. I tried velcro when I'd re-stuck the old tape a dozen times or more and that didn't even last out the day.

Fake edit: Now that I think about it I have scads of hard drive magnets, I bet I can make it stay with one of those! Now if only I can make it stay straight...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why are you mounting it to the plastic trim vs the windshield?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Has anyone seen/experienced anything RE: Pioneer's dashcam?

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Driver+Assistance+Cameras/ND-DVR100

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

finally joined the cool kids club, got to witness an accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMIiXQFunQA

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lone Goat posted:

That was such a stupid accident. "That guy ran the red light.. gonna ram him!"

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
hard to say who's at fault here

the Corolla for running the red, or the Audi for ramming the Corolla after coming to a complete stop in the intersection ...

also : did you miss your turn?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

What's the point of a dashcam with an integral screen? Pretty much everybody has a smartphone now. Just put wifi on the camera, connect your phone to the camera over wifi and watch the video on your phone. The camera will be lower profile and easier to mount, the screen will be easier to view, and I'm guessing a wifi chip and antenna is less expensive than an LCD screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMIiXQFunQA

What idiots! I think they should both have to pay for the damages to their own cars, personally. Both people involved were pretty stupid. Did you give your details to either of them, by the way?
I kinda hope so really, since without the video I think the person who ran the red light will end up in a much worse legal position than they deserve to be in, since they won't be able to prove (very easily anyway, I suppose) that the other driver is an equal-tier moron.