Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Woa, he's got one of those guitars that's like, double guitars.

What's that blue-light thing he's using on the bass part?

Makes me think... with those repeater pedals and some electronic drums, you could feasibly do something like this by yourself. :aaa:

I mean, play some drums for a minute, repeat them. Get on the bass, repeat it. Repeat a guitar riff. Put another bass layer in. Then another guitar layer. Then some extra cymbals, then more guitar etc. etc. Eventually you'd have this insane cacophony similar to what most post-rock sounds like at full-tilt.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Makes me think... with those repeater pedals and some electronic drums, you could feasibly do something like this by yourself. :aaa:

I mean, play some drums for a minute, repeat them. Get on the bass, repeat it. Repeat a guitar riff. Put another bass layer in. Then another guitar layer. Then some extra cymbals, then more guitar etc. etc. Eventually you'd have this insane cacophony similar to what most post-rock sounds like at full-tilt.

The blue thing is an electric bow type thing.

El Ten Eleven is a must see live show, last one I was at the drummer was playing the bass while Kristian plays the guitar on one track.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've seen El Ten twice and can confirm that they're excellent live and absolutely worth seeing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ofecks posted:

Theo used to (not sure if he's still around) get all the guitar parts up and running then sit down and have a bash on the drums, that was pretty cool.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just wanted to complain about the Rachel's album The Sea and the Bells and how it's a generally really lovely album but fuuuck that part in The Sirens.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

GrandpaPants posted:

I just wanted to complain about the Rachel's album The Sea and the Bells and how it's a generally really lovely album but fuuuck that part in The Sirens.

Check out this pleb. Can't get down to ear piercing tone clusters. Go back to listening to baroque corals, chump. :smuggo:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1006623624252583936

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
gently caress it's in Los Angeles

I need to figure out how to go to this.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Fuuuuuuuuu

Maybe they'll do a DVD or something, that band list is insane but there's no way I can get to LA, gently caress.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
THAT LINEUP OMG

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUi0GNVIaw

No Tether just came out a few days ago.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

No Tether is really good, thanks for posting it.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
It's great. I think I prefer their more melodic songs (Alarmist, Binary Collapse) but I dig the free jazz/drone stuff too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know they're like post-rock/black metal, but Deafheaven's new album is real fuckin' good. I was remembering when I saw them tour with This Will Destroy You last year. That was such an amazing show, goddamn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU8g0XNyHRw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eQuhBfDE0

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 13, 2018

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Caspian are supporting Minus the Bear all throughout October, on MtB's farewell tour, so if you like both those bands...GO NUTS

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Caspian are supporting Minus the Bear all throughout October, on MtB's farewell tour, so if you like both those bands...GO NUTS

I'd also posit that Caspian is a better live band, nothing against Minus the Bear.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I need to go to the Minus the Bear farewell show here because they're one of my all-time favorite bands and I've seen them like 6 or 7 times, but it's at the end of November and Caspian won't be touring with them anymore by then :negative:

We get Tera Melos instead, which cool, but I would've preferred Caspian for sure. I haven't seen Tera Melos live in like 10 years and I can't even remember whether I liked that show or not. I like all their studio stuff I've heard, but I definitely like Caspian more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

angrygodofjebus posted:

I'd also posit that Caspian is a better live band, nothing against Minus the Bear.

Yeah Caspian absolutely rip live

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's about goddamn time :cheers:

https://twitter.com/_TWDY_/status/1025096503226855424

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

:hmmyes:

love the artwork

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'm at the God's pee concert in Baltimore getting deafened by a drone. Pretty excited to hear them, even though concerts are way out of my comfort zone. I've heard they're great live, so here's hoping!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm at the God's pee concert in Baltimore getting deafened by a drone. Pretty excited to hear them, even though concerts are way out of my comfort zone. I've heard they're great live, so here's hoping!

It's about to get real loud in there

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pomp posted:

It's about to get real loud in there

Yes.

Yes it did.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Hi there, it's your resident toe fan. They released an EP titled Our Latest Number just ahead of their third US tour (I'm totally seeing them in Chicago on September 13th) and it's available digitally, as well as on hipster offerings such as CD, cassette, and vinyl. The track listing is as follows:

1. Dual Harmonics
2. The Latest Number
3. Etude Of Solitude
4. F_A_R

At first listen I'm really ambivalent about it.

Starting with Dual Harmonics, it feels like it was a leftover from their last album, Hear You. Aptly named, it starts with dual harmonics on guitar, and feels like a rock band meets Steve Reich minimalism. After the guitar into, the drums have a staggered entrance: hi hats alone, followed by bass and snare. The second guitar enters after one of their characteristic dramatic stops, and bass doesn't come in until significantly later. All the parts become gradually more complex until the last fifteen seconds, at which there is a sudden nosedive into simplicity, with everyone quickly dropping out as we approach the end.

The Latest Number. Yeah. The first half of this is just You Go from their album For Long Tomorrow. It's the exact same drum groove, and lead guitar is playing a skeleton of the riff from it as well. Because it starts with solo drums, you can really hear the changes in drum sound: Takashi tuned his snare lower, cut out almost all the overtones with moongel, and is using more gated reverb than a Phil Collins meme. It departs musically from You Go in it's focus on lyrics, which explains the simplicity of the parts. Being a dumb, monolingual American though, I can't understand more than the word "number". Everyone drops out two thirds of the way through, and the entrance is setup by the drum groove--another theft from You Go--and the the complexity is increased only marginally before ending in the same manner as You Go.

Etude of Solitude is the closest to the "toe sound" while breaking new ground, but I still can't shake the feeling it's highly reminiscent of one of their older songs. This song is in 3/4 throughout, which is remarkable because the majority of their songs are in 4/4 throughout, or only have brief sections of other time signatures. They use a lot of layering to create extremely dense textures, especially towards the end. I'm curious about whether they'll use loop pedals, additional performers, or just not perform it live due to this.

F_A_R is the biggest departure yet from the sound they've established. It starts as a piano and voice piece with subtly overdubbed vocal harmonies, and when the band comes in it's just guitar quickly followed by a string section chopping chords with Satoshi's bass playing barely audible underneath. The middle section returns to the simplified piano voice of the intro, this time with unobtrusive tight hi hats and side stick on snare. While the whole song is heavily influenced by Ravel's Bolero--it's a long dynamic build of relatively simple parts--the final section is where it's really noticable: we get classical percussion, and the snare part is incredibly similar to the one from Bolero. In the final seconds Hirokazu and Takaaki add dramatically high harmonics and pick scrapes, creating a sense of chaos that abruptly dissipates.

Having listened to this EP extensively while writing this...I'm still ambivalent. Yeah, I'm kinda annoyed they reused a noticable about of material, but they took it in a cool, new direction. Their new sound is interesting, but doesn't jive well with the live performances they're known for. While none of the tracks are as outstanding as previous ones they've written, I do think it's worth a listen to discover the direction they're going.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For a hot second I thought toe was the new way of spelling and I got all excited

edit: holy poo poo, finding Té on Spotify is literally impossible without searching for one of their song names. I love their song names though. "A dream is a common name for "lie" that resembles the beauty that is attached to the ordinary thing of reality."

precision fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 26, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New This Will Destroy You track!

Well this is a surprise! It's faster and heavier and more energetic than I've heard them sound in a long time.

Their new album is coming out on the 28th, so just a few weeks away.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 7, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

New This Will Destroy You track!

Well this is a surprise! It's faster and heavier and more energetic than I've heard them sound in a long time.

Their new album is coming out on the 28th, so just a few weeks away.

gently caress, this reminds me I need to buy tickets to their show! I've put it off cause I've wanted to buy them in person and save on ticket fees, I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by waiting too long :ohdear:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Johnny Truant posted:

gently caress, this reminds me I need to buy tickets to their show! I've put it off cause I've wanted to buy them in person and save on ticket fees, I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by waiting too long :ohdear:
They're soooooooooo good live. I saw them last year with Deafheaven and they were fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why haven't they thought of printing tour shirts that say "THIS DESTROYED ME"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is such a strange collab that I never expected to happen, but Caspian made a track with one of my favorite EDM artists, San Holo. Apparently it's their first collab ever too, which is even crazier. But man, it's pretty and I really dig it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0bCCHTCvJY

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Here is a good album

https://holyfawn.bandcamp.com/album/death-spells

Also, there's a new Leech album coming out at some point after like 10 years

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

why haven't they thought of printing tour shirts that say "THIS DESTROYED ME"

Being funny is EXTREMELY uncool

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
New Mono song is out and album is due for January next year.

Spotify link

The song slays.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SmokinDan posted:

Spotify link

The song slays.
Hell yeah. Song's dope, and I'm sure the album will be too.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

You can stream the new This Will Destroy You already here. Digging this, I would love to see them but I doubt they’ll be coming to Finland.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

SmokinDan posted:

Spotify link

The song slays.

Awesome. Shame it's so long till the album comes out, but whatever, sure it'll be great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

You can stream the new This Will Destroy You already here. Digging this, I would love to see them but I doubt they’ll be coming to Finland.
I'm not even exaggerating when I say this is the most impressed I've been by them in 10 years (since the S/T came out) :swoon:

I don't want to say they should only have one sound and never try to experiment, but this feels like a continuation of the sound I originally fell in love with them for way back in the day.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

SmokinDan posted:

Spotify link

The song slays.

This is good, pretty tight compared to what they usually do

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The new TWDY album is "New Others Part One" and it loving owns. Which means that there's a Part Two and it'll own too. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Sigur Rós drummer quits band following rape allegations

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/01/sigur-ros-drummer-orri-pall-dyrason-quits-rape-allegations

also I am not huge on new TWDY. it's a bit of a departure from tunnel blanket and another language which are my favourites. the second half is definitely better than the first imo