Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone else not auto-killing Walderp? My stats seems to be in the right place and I've killed his final form 3 times.

edit: wait it just started working right after I posted this... but nothing really changed.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What's the command to give me money in Monies? It moves entirely too slow for my taste but I'm bad at reading script and the reddit post appears to just have people talking about how cheats ruin the fun instead of giving me cheats.

Len fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 10, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Len posted:

What's the java command to give me money in Monies. It moves entirely too slow for my taste but I'm bad at javascript and the reddit post appears to just have people talking about how cheats ruin the fun instead of giving me cheats.

I couldn't figure out how to give money directly but buildings[0].basecost=0 works well, same with smilecost and upgcost.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dis astranagant posted:

I couldn't figure out how to give money directly but buildings[0].basecost=0 works well, same with smilecost and upgcost.

I'm missing something. Do you just open the console and type that? because nothing seems to be changing

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Your money and other currencies are stored under player.money and player.money_# from 2 to 6. So if you want to give yourself a large portion of cash, you would type into the console player.money = 1000000000 and hit enter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Len posted:

I'm missing something. Do you just open the console and type that? because nothing seems to be changing

I probably forgot some capital letters. that should set the base cost of shoes to nothing but won't affect the next shoe purchase, you need to change .cost for that

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

There's a hidden div with the id="aaaa" that you can reveal to show the percentage of production of each of the building types. In my case, garbage at 120 is providing about 6.5% of my total gains, whereas my bats and spaceships are each providing over a third. You really should be increasing Garbage if you want to increase the amount of bonus spades they provide (one extra per 10 buildings) and then try to maintain the multipliers for 4 (every one gains 15% increased production), 3 (33% increase in tick rate), and 2 (Time Warp, also tick rate increase).

So try to keep 2 3 and 4 and 5 is a nice bonus then? Thank you. Just got to enough for 120 anyway but good to know for later.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

How long have you played so far, roughly? I stopped playing while waiting to get 122 smiley faces cause it was so sloooooooow.

It took me a bit of babysitting to get to 122 and maintaining an Ice Cube count of ~1-3.

Edit: I've been playing for about 8-9 days

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 10, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Garfu posted:

Anyone else not auto-killing Walderp? My stats seems to be in the right place and I've killed his final form 3 times.

edit: wait it just started working right after I posted this... but nothing really changed.

Did you have the 3 required kills along with the stats? The first 4 "find me 20 minutes from now" don't count towards the 3 "full power" kills. Basically you should have 3 canes before you can AK him.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

pixaal posted:

Did you have the 3 required kills along with the stats? The first 4 "find me 20 minutes from now" don't count towards the 3 "full power" kills. Basically you should have 3 canes before you can AK him.

Yes. As stated.

I had 5. It's working fine now though so we good

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Welp, staff economy is not much fun in MONIES^2. There's a long climb that I cheated through filling up a couple bars requiring spades that increases spade/money production that I suspect operated on s-curves; you made early progress slowly, middle progress quickly and then filling it up from the last percentage point took ridiculous amounts. This gets you within spitting distance of the money total of the last bar. That only gives you access once, after you finish with your first taste of staffs (which is random) it closes out and the last bar now requests 22.5 quadrillion cash.

Also fun fact if you have more than it's requesting it will take everything and refuse to carry over the remainder to the next bar fill.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 12, 2018

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

shs posted:

I posted this about 100 years ago and then was sucked into a black hole of work, but I managed to escape and now you can play the game for reals. This is the an actual release, not a test version like last time.

Kongregate Version
My website

Both versions are identical, but if you play the Kongregate version and have an account with them, your save data will automatically be backed up online. If you play it on my website, it'll save locally unless you create a cloud save account.

Stat wise, luck and riposte are very good, you'll wants lots of them.

Some things that will make the menus much more bearable:

You can confirm by pressing Enter
You can cancel or close menus with Right Click or Escape

Also, the game won't work in Internet Explorer, Edge, or mobile browsers.

I really enjoyed this and it was working great at first, but for the last few days it's been super lagged and running at like 1/5 speed and basically not playable.

(I'm running your website version, not Kong)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sage Grimm posted:

Welp, staff economy is not much fun in MONIES^2. There's a long climb that I cheated through filling up a couple bars requiring spades that increases spade/money production that I suspect operated on s-curves; you made early progress slowly, middle progress quickly and then filling it up from the last percentage point took ridiculous amounts. This gets you within spitting distance of the money total of the last bar. That only gives you access once, after you finish with your first taste of staffs (which is random) it closes out and the last bar now requests 22.5 quadrillion cash.

Also fun fact if you have more than it's requesting it will take everything and refuse to carry over the remainder to the next bar fill.
really making me sad I quit way earlier

no wait

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

That's the endgame. Eventually when you fill the last bar it'll spit out a you're winner screen instead of another upgrade to buy.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I really enjoyed this and it was working great at first, but for the last few days it's been super lagged and running at like 1/5 speed and basically not playable.

(I'm running your website version, not Kong)

I've been shotgunning out updates at least once per day. It's possible all the tubes are clogged. You might try clearing your cache.

It's also one of those games that won't run at full speed unless its tab is focused or it's in its own window.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

That's the endgame. Eventually when you fill the last bar it'll spit out a you're winner screen instead of another upgrade to buy.

Yeah, it actually lets up once you've got a couple new buildings unlocked that poo poo out cash. It's just extremely awful in the beginning of that stage and could really have used a couple smoothing passes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Moana pool thing in MONIES2 is really annoying even when its not a bottleneck though. It's, what, 20-odd random upgrades that are minor benefits for stuff, actually useful and worthwhile or straight up useless and being gated so late is pointless and irrelevant. Like the one that increases Spade production or the one that gives you a 2x boost to Smiles. Why even make them a thing at that point? For converting to the dreamscape currency? No need. Once you get the pool filled once you'll have more than enough to buy every upgrade

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does Manna cap out somewhere or will it asymptotically approach 100 no matter how much spades I throw into it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

Does Manna cap out somewhere or will it asymptotically approach 100 no matter how much spades I throw into it?

It caps but it does so at some 400m

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Is there a way to make the first spades phase not take literal days? I'm maxed in upgrades and 2 days in I'm at like 6% into the Spade buff

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Give yourself spades via console. player.money_4 += <some large number> and just slam through the first two bars.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

It caps but it does so at some 400m
I'm at 500m but it's still accepting spades even though it's so close that the % gets rounded up to 100.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
New-ish idle that's kind of clever:

http://stopsign.github.io/idleLoops/

It's sort of a groundhog's day sim.

quote:

A bit of a primer for anyone who doesn't know what in the hell is going on. The story actually helps you understand the mechanics. You are an RPG character who has spilled a liquid on themselves and has "Groundhog Day'ed" yourself. Your mana now constantly drains and when it runs out, you reset to the moment you spilled the liquid. Thus you are in a rather quickly resetting loop of time.

The idea initially is to [Wander] from the spot in town where you spilled the substance on yourself, using the few seconds of mana you have to find the locations of scattered pots around town. When you reset, you remember where the pots are. The number of pots you've found but have never broken before in any time loop is represented by the far-right number of the three just under the Exploration progress bar. When your character starts to break pots, you will sometimes find nothing, and sometimes find mana crystals. When you reset, your character remembers which pots had the mana. Once you've investigated all the pots, your character will start to prioritize only going to the pots that they know have mana in them. This allows you to start extending the length of each loop, because the mana drained in the time it takes your character to reach a pot is 50, and the crystals inside each one give you 100.

Your skills on the left also reset their progress down to scrub Lvl-1 character values each reset, so you will have to "re-level" each loop. The exception to this is talent level, which represents the knowledge of that particular skill that your character retains from the time loop.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Some starter tips for efficiency:

The game only tracks completed actions. You don't get any exploration credit for getting partway through a wander action; only on finishing the action do you get any closer to finding more things to do. Every five pots with mana will buy you time for another wander action, but because you can't get partial credit for things you didn't finish doing before a reset, breaking any is pointless until you have at least 50 unsearched (far right number) or 5 with loot (middle number); afterwards you'll always want to break pots first to build stats. Once you get to 20% explored, you can pick locks, but that's only a net gain once you can afford to pick at least two with loot from your pots, and you can't afford more wandering from lock-picking vs. pots alone until you can afford to pick four of them (which takes 34-35 loot pots to pull off).

e: Thinking about it, if your only goal is to wander you're best off just doing that rather than having a buildup, especially since you can't get your max stats high enough to make a big difference early game anyway.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 14, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The last bit is not strictly true, as you will find situations where the pots broken and locks picked will get you an extra wander earlier than if you were just breaking pots alone. Your calculation guarantees the point in which locks picked will always provide an extra wander action.

And semi-finished actions still apply to your stat training so it isn't completely wasted although I'm not certain how they are applied.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Stat training isn't a complete waste, sure, but going by speed stats it takes quite a few levels to really start noticing an effective difference in performance so unless you're gaining a lot of levels in the fractional action it's probably better overall to just work something else or end the day early.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I'm still not 100% sure what the skills/talents explicitly *do*. Do they make certain actions go faster, or increase the percentages you get from completing them?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Buzkashi posted:

I'm still not 100% sure what the skills/talents explicitly *do*. Do they make certain actions go faster, or increase the percentages you get from completing them?

I think they result in mana discounts for tasks.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Speed stat definitely seems to make things go faster, though it's on a percentage basis so the most you'll notice at like level 4 is picking locks and wandering now cost 1 mana less and such. I assume once I've met enough people to train speed I'll be able to see whether that's the only one that affects action cost more easily.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The tooltip when hovering over "stats" explains things pretty well, each stat reduces the mana cost (which is equivalent to how long an action takes) of a given action, depending on how important to that action it is. So 'Pick Locks' is 50% dex, which means each point of dexterity takes off 1% of the 200 mana governed by the stat etc.

e: And now that I wrote that, it occurs to me that you might get significantly different mana costs just by rearranging the order of your action queue, like using the training actions to boost your stats first so later actions are cheaper. Probably more relevant the higher your stats are, though.

Mygna fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 14, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ah, that's the tooltip I was missing. I was trying to see the individual stats and they're not particularly useful in expanding on what you already know.

As an aside, all these hover tooltips are fantastic.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What do circles mean/do on the task list?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

peepsalot posted:

What do circles mean/do on the task list?

Increase count until it matches the number of remaining pots/locks/etc that are known to have loot.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sage Grimm posted:

The last bit is not strictly true, as you will find situations where the pots broken and locks picked will get you an extra wander earlier than if you were just breaking pots alone. Your calculation guarantees the point in which locks picked will always provide an extra wander action.

And semi-finished actions still apply to your stat training so it isn't completely wasted although I'm not certain how they are applied.

Early on, I agree that stat training seems pretty pointless for the returns. I'm sure it'll add up later

For each run, think of it as having 250 'free' mana that you get for restarting. Now what do you want to use that free mana towards? Wandering takes 250 mana, conveniently. So if you're looking to explore town, then 1 Wander is efficient.

If you want to Break Jars to find more 'earnable' mana, then you can just break 1 jar or 5 jars (doesn't matter, you're only depending on free mana) until you've exhausted all the jars you need to test.

If you want to Pick Locks to find more 'earnable' mana via selling the gold you find, you need 400 mana to Pick Locks. So it's efficient to Break 3 Jars, then 1 Pick Lock. Breaking 8 more Jars, then Picking another lock is not as efficient as just restarting to use your free mana. (3*50 + 250) = 400.

If you want to Meet People, you need 800 mana, so break 11 Jars, then 1 Meet People. (11*50 + 250) = 800.

If you want to look at earning mana by Picking Locks - each 400 mana you spend on Picking a 'good' house you've discovered, gets you 500 mana worth of gold. But you have to spend 100 mana to earn the gold. The first lock you pick is a net wash on mana (plus you have to have 500 minimum). Each additional lock you pick before you sell gives you +100. But you have to spend 400 time units to earn +100 time units - 4 times less efficient than breaking jars, which give you +50 time units, by spending 50 time units. So it looks like picking locks will be a way of slowly pushing up your maximum mana, once you have something you want to do with it.

For now, though, you always want to take advantage of your free mana by restarting as soon as you've done the action you're focusing on. Meet People Once, Pick Lock Once, etc. I assume later on we'll start seeing a point to deeper runs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My current build is:

Spoiled for people who want to figure it all out on their own.

Smash every single good pot

Pick enough locks until I have between 100-499 mana in reserve
Sell loot
Repeat until no more locks left

Do quest until I have between 100-899 mana in reserve
Sell loot
Repeat until no more quests left

And then after I've gone through all my mana boosting steps, I finish off with a few of the exploration skills with "repeat last action on list" enabled.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I dunno if its the most efficient way to maximise Mana, but this is what I'm running so far;

I've reconfigured it a few times and this is the best method I've found at the point I'm at (52% Explored / 23% Met). Currently trying to grind out Meets so I can get Investigate open which I'm pretty sure at this point is the gate to the next series of options. Just a shame that seems to be a bit slow, but overall it works fine for a thing in the background while I do other stuff anyway.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My current build is:

Spoiled for people who want to figure it all out on their own.

Smash every single good pot

Pick enough locks until I have between 100-499 mana in reserve
Sell loot
Repeat until no more locks left

Do quest until I have between 100-899 mana in reserve
Sell loot
Repeat until no more quests left

And then after I've gone through all my mana boosting steps, I finish off with a few of the exploration skills with "repeat last action on list" enabled.

Have you run the math on how many 'explores' you get per real second, compared to if you did a run with just 1 'explore' thing, using just enough Jars? My instinct is still that unless you're at serious Exp/Training levels, that you'd be better off using free mana as much as you can, with jar mana only as needed. The 1/4 return rate on quests/locks makes it hard to see how those are worth it unless you absolutely need the mana to meet a minimum requirement.

Edit:

Dragonatrix posted:

I dunno if its the most efficient way to maximise Mana, but this is what I'm running so far;

I've reconfigured it a few times and this is the best method I've found at the point I'm at (52% Explored / 23% Met). Currently trying to grind out Meets so I can get Investigate open which I'm pretty sure at this point is the gate to the next series of options. Just a shame that seems to be a bit slow, but overall it works fine for a thing in the background while I do other stuff anyway.

You get 3 Meets, using 9300 Mana, for 3100 time/ Meet.

If you instead run 11 Jar + 1 Meet, you spend 1350 Mana, for 1350 time/ Meet. Much faster that way.

Edit 2: Anything that isn't Jars is a trap for spending your time on. It's Mana positive, but it doesn't cost you anything to restart so why grind out Slow mana, when you can get Fast mana by restarting. When we unlock something that you can't pay for using Restart+Jars, then start looking at the slow options, but only enough to earn what you need to do it once.

Devor fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 14, 2018

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Devor posted:

Have you run the math on how many 'explores' you get per real second, compared to if you did a run with just 1 'explore' thing, using just enough Jars? My instinct is still that unless you're at serious Exp/Training levels, that you'd be better off using free mana as much as you can, with jar mana only as needed. The 1/4 return rate on quests/locks makes it hard to see how those are worth it unless you absolutely need the mana to meet a minimum requirement.

I'm curious too about how much this is true vs how important it is to get started on talent points which you don't get a good a spread of.

Are wander and meet both completely static re: returns? Meet makes it sound like it might make wander give more pots or something

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I doubt that you will gain more pots via meet, just more mana intensive ways of gaining more gold/mana, easier methods of gaining stats, and plot progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sage Grimm posted:

I doubt that you will gain more pots via meet, just more mana intensive ways of gaining more gold/mana, easier methods of gaining stats, and plot progression.

Yeah. The tooltip says "You can find more stuff" with more Meet, but I think that really just means you're unlocking new things, not a passive buff to old things.