Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

me, to chuds after extended gay kissing in tlou2 trailer: sorry, are you offended, snowflake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zedd posted:

Chuds will complain what they want. Corporate pandering during pride month is certainly a thing, but it's not a bad thing.

https://twitter.com/leighformayor/status/1006344096443535364

the problem most LGBT people have with corporate pride bandwagoning is when we ask 'so you give full benefits to your employees and support your LGBT workers with their accommodations and all right?' is usually met with 'uuuuuh'.

Like yea no poo poo giving money to gay causes is objectively good but too many places use it as what amounts to an indulgence tax, they get to have health plans that don't cover PrEP or poo poo like that and no actual anti-discrimination rules and all because they pay the Pride Toll.

Also yea I at least kinda hate the big "BUDWEISER PRESENTS PRIDE FLOAT" poo poo when those guys were running from any LGBT trapping before it was popular in the majority but that's a different issue.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

the problem most LGBT people have with corporate pride bandwagoning is when we ask 'so you give full benefits to your employees and support your LGBT workers with their accommodations and all right?' is usually met with 'uuuuuh'.

Like yea no poo poo giving money to gay causes is objectively good but too many places use it as what amounts to an indulgence tax, they get to have health plans that don't cover PrEP or poo poo like that and no actual anti-discrimination rules and all because they pay the Pride Toll.

Also yea I at least kinda hate the big "BUDWEISER PRESENTS PRIDE FLOAT" poo poo when those guys were running from any LGBT trapping before it was popular in the majority but that's a different issue.

this, the EA one felt artificial because it was "we divided a million bucks between three charities as tax rightoff and to look progressive now". i mean its fine but its kinda eh.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this, the EA one felt artificial because it was "we divided a million bucks between three charities as tax rightoff and to look progressive now". i mean its fine but its kinda eh.

$1 million is the equivalent of pennies for them, as well, but it's a big number that impresses people in the abstract.

Corporate charity is bullshit. It's not going to lead to actually solving any problems.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WampaLord posted:

$1 million is the equivalent of pennies for them, as well, but it's a big number that impresses people in the abstract.

Corporate charity is bullshit. It's not going to lead to actually solving any problems.

pretty much. at least the gender representation in protags is getting better now. least judging from e3.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

me, to chuds after extended gay kissing in tlou2 trailer: sorry, are you offended, snowflake?

Someone in the E3 thread had a meltdown over that. I cried from laughing so hard.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Someone in the E3 thread had a meltdown over that. I cried from laughing so hard.

yeah, i saw that, it was pathetic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedd posted:

Chuds will complain what they want. Corporate pandering during pride month is certainly a thing, but it's not a bad thing.

https://twitter.com/leighformayor/status/1006344096443535364

How is "kill all the Nazis" pandering? That's the norm, not limited to Pride month.

Then again, Twitter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, we have the NYT writing puff pieces on nazis constantly so yea 'actually it's cool to bash a nazi's skull into a wall' is sadly 'taking a stance'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

How is "kill all the Nazis" pandering? That's the norm, not limited to Pride month.

Then again, Twitter.

do you know how many videos and tweets i have seen saying "actualy wolfenstein is an attack on the white history/pride/some horse poo poo". it should be the norm but you know.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jimbot posted:

please link lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

please link lmao

i forget what page but it was the e3 countdown thread. the guy got probated i think.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

please link lmao

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3843708&perpage=40&pagenumber=40#pti10

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lol jesus fuckin christ

GreatGreen posted:

yes it's definitely this and not the guy just acknowledging that it's some corporation shouting WE'RE TOTALLY DOWN WITH LGBTQ EVERYBODY WE'RE SO PROGRESSIVE to convince a reactionary demographic to part ways with their money.

Let's also show footage of newly-operated trans-women scissoring on Sesame Street. We have to or else we're fascist normies, right?

It just completes it that his last probe was for being a homophobe too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

do you know how many videos and tweets i have seen saying "actualy wolfenstein is an attack on the white history/pride/some horse poo poo". it should be the norm but you know.

It is funny though how, despite WW2 shooters being so dominant for so long, that so few of them actually engage with Nazism, instead opting for simple balkenkreuz wearing Germans, or Krauts, if they want to throw a slur in there.

Wolfenstein is the only series I know if that has consistently been specifically targeting Nazis, not WW2 Germans. I guess The Saboteur also got into this somewhat but it's definitely an outlier.

And now you've got COD WW2 and Battlefield V pretty much excising Nazism and racism from World War 2 altogether to focus on the aesthetics without pissing people off. They want the WW2 sandbox of toys without engaging with history in a meaningful manner

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yardbomb posted:

lol jesus fuckin christ

It just completes it that his last probe was for being a homophobe too.

Oh its GreatGreen, it's been a while since I saw his totally-not-agressive posting style.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Then again, Twitter.

@jack loves Nazis. Tweet it at him every day until he bans you.

@jack loves Nazis.

@jack loves Nazis.

@jack loves Nazis.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is funny though how, despite WW2 shooters being so dominant for so long, that so few of them actually engage with Nazism, instead opting for simple balkenkreuz wearing Germans, or Krauts, if they want to throw a slur in there.

Wolfenstein is the only series I know if that has consistently been specifically targeting Nazis, not WW2 Germans. I guess The Saboteur also got into this somewhat but it's definitely an outlier.

And now you've got COD WW2 and Battlefield V pretty much excising Nazism and racism from World War 2 altogether to focus on the aesthetics without pissing people off. They want the WW2 sandbox of toys without engaging with history in a meaningful manner

WW2 tries at times but it fuckes up by basically self censoring uniforms and flags(in the single player, multiplayer i can understand) i just find it funny that you can probably play as POC female nazi in the new battlefield and the new cod. i kinda hate some of the costumes in the BFV. it kinda ruins the silhouettes of of the other team and every one kinda just blends together. i mean its cool and good that they are going for representation gender and race wise and that shouldn't change but some of the costumes are weird as gently caress. other issues i have is they talked about "uknown fronts and battles" and its just africa and europe. lol

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 12, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Norway would be cool. Didn't the early cod games have a level in the Baltic during the SAS missions?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

WW2 tries at times but it fuckes up by basically self censoring uniforms and flags(in the single player, multiplayer i can understand) i just find it funny that you can probably play as POC female nazi in the new battlefield and the new cod. i kinda hate some of the costumes in the BFV. it kinda ruins the silhouettes of of the other team and every one kinda just blends together. i mean its cool and good that they are going for representation gender and race wise and that shouldn't change but some of the costumes are weird as gently caress. other issues i have is they talked about "uknown fronts and battles" and its just africa and europe. lol

I might be wrong here but isn't a big problem with it that it would be illegal to sell/own the game in germany if it had swastikas all over it? I remember hearing that as one of the reasons why you don't see swastikas in say, Company of Heroes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is illegal but Wolfenstein got away with having nazis in their game by doing a simple name change from Nazis to The Regime, Hitler to The Dictator, and replacing the swastika with the Wolfenstein Logo. And that was it. Still have WW2, still have the concentration camp level, still have a Germany based fascist regime conquering the world. Literally the only thing changed are the names.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's kind of flabbergasting that germany's still never gotten enough people to go "This is pretty dumb, can we stop", like isn't the reason they can't do swastikas in games because vidyagames aren't covered under artistic expression or something like that and you need that classification to be allowed to portray the straight up nazis?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Norway would be cool. Didn't the early cod games have a level in the Baltic during the SAS missions?

norway is cool. the game looks great anyway.

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I might be wrong here but isn't a big problem with it that it would be illegal to sell/own the game in germany if it had swastikas all over it? I remember hearing that as one of the reasons why you don't see swastikas in say, Company of Heroes.

i think so.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

It's kind of flabbergasting that germany's still never gotten enough people to go "This is pretty dumb, can we stop", like isn't the reason they can't do swastikas in games because vidyagames aren't covered under artistic expression or something like that and you need that classification to be allowed to portray the straight up nazis?

I believe German rating agencies got less strict about this and also started considering artistic expression more in games, or at least professed to last time I cared to check, but also getting games rated so they can be sold on store shelves costs money on the developer's part so they'd rather play it safe than pay the rating fee, come back with a verdict of "nah this isn't cool", modify their game, then pay a rating fee again.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 12, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i absolutely love how many people look at wolfenstein and say 'this game is an attack on white people :qq:'

scared white boys claiming that a game about shooting nazis is an attack on them is one hell of a self-own

Yardbomb posted:

tbf there's prolly still a lot of residual cultural trauma in germany over the events of ww2. like i agree it's dumb, but it's at least understandable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i absolutely love how many people look at wolfenstein and say 'this game is an attack on white people :qq:'

scared white boys claiming that a game about shooting nazis is an attack on them is one hell of a self-own

tbf there's prolly still a lot of residual cultural trauma in germany over the events of ww2. like i agree it's dumb, but it's at least understandable.

/pol/ and irony poisoning/echo chamber. like 8 or more years ago i used to hang out on edgy irc stuff and i saw that poo poo turn from "lol edgy joke" to "lol its all true". those communities are toxic as poo poo, not just because of the content, but mostly because there is no loyalty or friendship. they will throw you to the wolves and feast on you if you show weakness. I am glad i got out when i did.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Cultural trauma has fairly little do with it when we had The Office parodies based on Hitler

It was/is really more of a "video games are for children so they wouldn't get it" situation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Cultural trauma has fairly little do with it when we had The Office parodies based on Hitler

It was/is really more of a "video games are for children so they wouldn't get it" situation.

Nazi fuckery and infighting sounds like it would make amazing death of stalin type dark comedy. like i watched Heil honey im home and with better writing and a more evolved concept. it could make a interesting adult swim show.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Truly, if there is a group to help fight bigotry and build a utopia for people of all races and orientations, it's the multi-million dollar corporations.

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1006521700849192960
https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1006173209442553857

...or not.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sekiro was what e3 was for. everything else was filler.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Considering the rise of the far right in Europe (everywhere :smith: ) it's 1: political suicide to un-taboo the Nazi iconography, and 2: would give them both what they want and the means to use those old symbols for their own gains.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm mad they didn't just make a new Tenchu, it's right there you fuckers!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Truly, if there is a group to help fight bigotry and build a utopia for people of all races and orientations, it's the multi-million dollar corporations.

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1006521700849192960
https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1006546989276778498

...or not.

i am always amused that polygon keeps waiting for Ubisoft to make some deeply political game and then they get mad when they don't. if it were another dev, then id expect more but its MMO lite with airport fiction plot. you arnt gonna scalp trump at the end and talk about how it was really the systemic economic/social issues that caused things to go wrong. the villains are gonna be dickhead rightist generic Not-blackwater types probably. anyway it sounds like they are trying make the game more about helping civilians this time around which is nice.

also as someone who minored in Homeland security. its alot less interesting irl. the division probably exists in the sense that they have bunch of FEMA type people(yeah they are super loving critical to DHS) with tons of ORG charts to make sure continuation of government continues.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I'm mad they didn't just make a new Tenchu, it's right there you fuckers!

i'm glad they're making nioh but good [also the guy has guts's arm].

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Metal Wolf Chaos XD.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I liked a ton of stuff. preordered the new assassins creed as well as fallout helmet edition. also western release of fist of the north star by yakuza devs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

preordered...fallout helmet edition.

has anyone told you you're a monster??

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zedd posted:

Considering the rise of the far right in Europe (everywhere :smith: ) it's 1: political suicide to un-taboo the Nazi iconography, and 2: would give them both what they want and the means to use those old symbols for their own gains.

It actually seems to do something to keep the nazis there discouraged and humiliated, or at least--as you say--allowing them to start using the nazi symbols they want to use would give them great encouragement. They currently use confederate flags a lot of the time, which should tell us something in America, but doesn't.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm glad they're making nioh but good [also the guy has guts's arm].

I'm glad they're making Nioh 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

has anyone told you you're a monster??

yeah alot, even on this thread. lol, i rarely buy collectors editions. last one i got was the witcher 3. and the helmet might look decent somewhere. my gf got my a 1:1 replica of the hounds helmet from GOT so idk.