Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I have nothing but love for Rodney, I think he's the dorkiest cool dude ever to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Between the lifetime of genius trickery, the Bones doc, his TED talk and pretty much everytime he's ever opened his mouth I'm thoroughly convinced Rodney is some sort of supernatural being of good cursed to live among us terrible humans for some unknowable reason.

If he ever gets milkshake ducked I'm just gonna go in for the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind treatment and send cards to everyone I know to never let me know it ever again.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

https://www.amazon.com/Mutt-How-Skateboard-Kill-Yourself/dp/0060556196

His autobiography is a very good read for anyone who wants to know more about how skateboarding shaped his mind / vice versa. He has been a hero before, during, and after I ever even skated myself.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
man I really thought Marc Johnson was doing better

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bam Margera on the Nine Club is hugely entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEO_U166pxc

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Gimme a time stamp where something interesting happens this poo poo is two hours long mang

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Gimme a time stamp where something interesting happens this poo poo is two hours long mang

He's done a couple interviews with those guys and they've all been ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtwDd389xqo

Here's a taste though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk if anybody here gets into the deluxe fingerboarding experience known as the videogame Skate but there was a rip-off version announced for Xbox called "Session" (like literally a bunch of dudes started a kickstarter saying "we miss skate and want to make it again") and some rumors that an actual Skate 4 might get announced as a PS4 exclusive at the Sony E3 conference tonight (there were low rumblings and then the Sony France account posted a very Skate looking image with the bottom of a deck adorned with Playstation logos, but it looked like it was hastily 'shopped on top of another image on the bottom of the deck which may be a 4).

I like those games a lot.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

idk if anybody here gets into the deluxe fingerboarding experience known as the videogame Skate but there was a rip-off version announced for Xbox called "Session" (like literally a bunch of dudes started a kickstarter saying "we miss skate and want to make it again") and some rumors that an actual Skate 4 might get announced as a PS4 exclusive at the Sony E3 conference tonight (there were low rumblings and then the Sony France account posted a very Skate looking image with the bottom of a deck adorned with Playstation logos, but it looked like it was hastily 'shopped on top of another image on the bottom of the deck which may be a 4).

I like those games a lot.

I’ve been following session since they officially announced I guess.
I downloaded the demo but you’ve got to have a steam controller.
The game play footage I see doesn’t necessarily get me stoked but it would be a bummer for those guys if Skate 4 got announced.

I still play skate 3 every now and then. I wish I still had 1 and 2. I play 2 at my bros house and it still super fun.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
No skate 4

life is pain

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No skate 4

life is pain

Boo I say. Boo!

Hell, I'd pay full price for a smooth port of 2 or 3 with a decent framerate.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

My son who is about to turn 6 wants nothing more in this world for his birthday than a skateboard. I have no background in skateboarding (other than of the video game sort) and don't really know where to start with him - other than copious use of body pads and helmet. What sort of board should I buy for a complete beginner 6 year old?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How tall is he?

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

How tall is he?

I am not exactly sure but he's tall for his age and probably pushing close to four foot.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
FYI EA has turned the community servers back on for Skate 3 so you can go and download all your custom parks and replays from the good old days right now. Nobody knows how long it's gonna last so I loaded up my console with all my favorites in anticipation for getting shut down again

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

schwein11 posted:

I am not exactly sure but he's tall for his age and probably pushing close to four foot.

most kids ride normal boards that everyone else uses. decks are generally just sized by width in inches with 7.5 being "small", 7.75 being a sort of average medium and 8 or wider being on the large size. length varies but nobody actually talks about it irl.

if you want something smaller have the shop setup a cruiser board. these are smaller and come in different shapes. but it really just boils down to personal preference so you can't really go wrong. take them to a skater owned shop and let them pick one they like.

when you're starting out it really doesn't matter what you ride unless the wheels/bearings are REALLY hosed up.

one thing i recommend to everyone getting into skating is that you should NOT ride tight trucks. it is a crutch and doesn't help in the long. loose trucks let you turn better and are way more forgiving when landing tricks that involve spins.

pretty much everyone i know that rides tight trucks only does so because at some point they went too fast, got speed wobbles and busted their rear end.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
other things to avoid are water and sand

you could skate in the rain or even down a grass hill but these things can gently caress up the board in ways that aren't immediately noticeable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Also encourage him to just get used to pushing and cruising around a flat empty lot at first and if he's trying to Ollie or whatever buy him a 2x4 to jump over or have him jump up small curbs. Unless you've got one of those nice shallow ramp kiddy parks around having him eat butt falling down a quarterpipe or whatever too early is just gonna ruin it for him.

Watch a lot of various skate basics videos on youtube, don't trust any as gospel, but pay attention when they talk about bad habits for pushing and whatnot.

And yeah don't tighten the trucks too much but also don't leave them too loose. It's all about matching the riders feel for "if I put x weight down to turn, am I actually going to carve/turn as much as I want?" without biting your wheels (board lowers so much when you turn that it touches the wheel and usually stops it, causing a crash, if it happens then tighten up).

enjoy! and watch some classic old skate vids together to keep the interest and inspiration up.

Edit: If you can, buy decent bearings. Getting used to fast bearings early is pretty key. Slow boards might feel safer but they make everything more difficult.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
unless he wants to longboard then just buy him a bike and take him snowboarding sometime and then tell him someone on the internet called him a nerd

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

unless he wants to longboard then just buy him a bike and take him snowboarding sometime and then tell him someone on the internet called him a nerd

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Intel&Sebastian posted:

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Thanks for the help guys. Bought him a board and plenty of safety gear, and we'll see how things go after he gets it this weekend for his birthday.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
did he crash or thrash?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

did he crash or thrash?

My guess: thrashed, then crashed.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

did he crash or thrash?

Hah sorry for not updating. He is super excited and happy about it, and had been so far pretty patient with trying to learn (I’m teaching him based off what I see on YouTube videos for beginners). It’s only been two days, so too early to tell how it’s going to go, but it definitely was a hit birthday present.

What are some good go-to videos to show him cool pro stuff? Ideally other than half pipe tricks, which I know enough to find myself I think.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Look up 90s classics, they'll probably be on YouTube and wont have anything too insane like the modern day thrasher feed where everyone is throwing down constant technical miracles on 20 foot crooked handrails that drop directly into ditch runs or whatever.

As for stuff other than that I really like Girls YEAH RIGHT for just fun rear end stuff to watch and good vibes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Also this asap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8dy4NIzBU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Show him Video Days and Fulfill The Dream.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Thanks for the recommendations - just watched that Gou Miyagi thing that was linked and that was goofy and cool as hell. Will definitely show him this stuff - thanks again.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Also, if the Gou Miyagi stuff appeals, it's worth taking a look at the Atlantic Drift series. While the skating isn't as out-there as Miyagi's, it still features lots of creative, quick-footed tricks on unusual spots. Great filming / editing / music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgCqD8vo2Qg

Polar's "I like it here inside my mind. Don't wake me this time." is one of the better full-length skate videos of recent times. A good balance of silly / artsy / legit skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTTtyAPeN4

EDIT: also, also, pretty much anything Jaakko Ojanen does on Instagram is pretty mind-blowing. I mean: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTHSIqSBcMv/

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 26, 2018

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

schwein11 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations - just watched that Gou Miyagi thing that was linked and that was goofy and cool as hell. Will definitely show him this stuff - thanks again.

Rodney Mullen and Daewon Song video parts fall under the same category of cool footage while not including (relatively) giant gaps and handrails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2xpZ1GUsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YMzLSWrNpk&t=25s

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I dunno man Daewon's Round 3 part included some you can die doing this poo poo for sure

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
skate and/or die

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI5WtdZdt30

This is what got me back into skateboarding. They made it look fun, instead of the usual GGGggrrrrr Angry SKating.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI5WtdZdt30

This is what got me back into skateboarding. They made it look fun, instead of the usual GGGggrrrrr Angry SKating.

this vid rules
I was just thinking about it too
I watched the whole thing just now

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mini ramps for me are just a quad workout

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
miniramps are so good

build one for your kids

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
This is amazing

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkyN-LbjPxZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

First ep of new KotR is floating around the internet and the new series premieres 7/10. Element, Real, and Foundation this year, so no Jamie Foy (🙁) but Kyle Walker is back. I've gotten old and lame so the puke/piss/poo poo stuff kinda annoys me but there's always some real badass skating on display so I'm pretty hype for the new season.