Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

business hammocks posted:

It actually seems to do something to keep the nazis there discouraged and humiliated, or at least--as you say--allowing them to start using the nazi symbols they want to use would give them great encouragement. They currently use confederate flags a lot of the time, which should tell us something in America, but doesn't.

well that was because as you probably know, the south won the peace in the end and then rewrote history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think a lot of video games at E3 this year looked neat :unsmith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zedd posted:

Considering the rise of the far right in Europe (everywhere :smith: ) it's 1: political suicide to un-taboo the Nazi iconography, and 2: would give them both what they want and the means to use those old symbols for their own gains.

Pretty much. From what I understand (not a German, may be wrong) they ARE looser than you'd think with this stuff and fairly open to artistic licence (a lot of (x) was censored in Germany because of nazis stories has either ended with 'it was resolved and it's fine' or 'they actually didn't HAVE to but they just wanted to avoid the hassle') but the thing keeping them from really officially loosening it up has been not wanting to get latched on to by the actual neo-nazi revival in europe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Roth posted:

yeah. :) its nice. I like e3 even at worst, you can still laugh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no tingle in smash bros is a war crime.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

To come back an earlier point: The companies playing nice for Pride month is indeed mostly empty gesturing, especially in countries where you don't get equal spousal rights from employers (which is bizarre to me, we just scrapped the 1 man 1 woman part from the laws and changed it to 2 people). SOME companies actually donate 100% of the pride merch proceeds to charity, which is nice.
But the fact that current culture made it "hip" or a must for companies to (pretend to) be LGBT+ friendly is still a nice sign.
I rather have 3 companies do empty gestures, that don't change anything but do help normalize non cis/straight things by bringing out of the limelight, then I see nothing at all.

Groovelord Neato posted:

no Waluigi in smash bros is a war crime.
This

Zedd fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 12, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Roth posted:

You mean E3 isn't just a time for me to work on my videogame styled stand up comedy routine at the expense of multi-million dollar companies? I thought they were just here to show me new things to snark at and occasionally buy for myself for 64.94 at my local Gamestop?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The villains are gonna be dickhead rightist generic Not-blackwater types probably.

I mean Division 1 at least came around to trying to say something with the ultimate plot, one of the most critical guys in how everything got so bad was another SHD agent who broke off after gross incompetence got a bunch of people around him killed, who also was one of the reasons the Last Man Battalion dudes (A lot of them being military deserters too) were so well hooked up, giving up a ton of the Division's intelligence and gear. It leads on pretty hard with a 'Maybe having a bunch of special agents and armed to the teeth authority types running around isn't great' sentiment by the end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

buying a game at a store...what is this 2008?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It takes up the same amount of space on my console's harddrive regardless and i'd like have to a nice picture on a box to look at instead of 0's and 1's :shrug:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well that was because as you probably know, the south won the peace in the end and then rewrote history.

I can't believe that the lost cause narrative had so much juice for so long. When I was in high school (in the north), it was considered the sophisticated take on the civil war and the belief that it was about slavery was ridiculed as simplistic moralizing. It even ended up as a joke in that episode of The Simpsons where Apu applies for citizenship.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You mean E3 isn't just a time for me to work on my videogame styled stand up comedy routine at the expense of multi-million dollar companies?

lmao are you mad that people make jokes towards corporations?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It takes up the same amount of space on my console's harddrive regardless and i'd like have to a nice picture on a box to look at instead of 0's and 1's :shrug:

having poo poo take up space is the reason not to buy at stores lmao

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

All presentations should be like Devolver Digital's.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Zedd posted:

If only.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I mean Division 1 at least came around to trying to say something with the ultimate plot, one of the most critical guys in how everything got so bad was another SHD agent who broke off after gross incompetence got a bunch of people around him killed, who also was one of the reasons the Last Man Battalion dudes (A lot of them being military deserters too) were so well hooked up, giving up a ton of the Division's intelligence and gear. It leads on pretty hard with a 'Maybe having a bunch of special agents and armed to the teeth authority types running around isn't great' sentiment by the end.

yeah pretty much. also, most of the baddies in the game were dickhead opportunist and or neagan types(the convicts and LMB) or just incredibly loving broken as with the cleaners.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I can't believe that the lost cause narrative had so much juice for so long. When I was in high school (in the north), it was considered the sophisticated take on the civil war and the belief that it was about slavery was ridiculed as simplistic moralizing. It even ended up as a joke in that episode of The Simpsons where Apu applies for citizenship.

i mean it is more complex then just slavery but it is about slavery. the whole adage of "if you know nothing about civil war its about slavery, if you know some its states rights if you know a ton its about slavery" slavery is the key reason and it infects/causes/exacerbates all the other causes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

:yikes:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

I still buy physical a lot because digital games on consoles never seem to actually go down in price outside of a sale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zedd posted:

:yeah:

More game companies need to call out gamers for being unimpressable fragile pieces of garbage consumerists who will literally buy any pile of crap despite all their endless bitching, so just poo poo on them from great heights with hot liquidy diarrhea because they'll either take it and keep buying games or they won't and the video game industry will collapse. In which case, good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Is it me or is TLOUII falling under the trap a lot of anti-war films fall into where they try to present a story about how awful and destructive violence is, but because its so visceral and exciting it kind of defeats the purpose of the message?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Is it me or is TLOUII falling under the trap a lot of anti-war films fall into where they try to present a story about how awful and destructive violence is, but because its so visceral and exciting it kind of defeats the purpose of the message?

That's capitalism human nature! :buddy:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

More game companies need to call out gamers for being unimpressable fragile pieces of garbage consumerists who will literally buy any pile of crap despite all their endless bitching, so just poo poo on them from great heights with hot liquidy diarrhea because they'll either take it and keep buying games or they won't and the video game industry will collapse. In which case, good.

Nah.

Soulless fake hype is lovely and horrible, but if anything is worse than it, it's smugly self-satisfied ironic contempt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Roth posted:

I still buy physical a lot because digital games on consoles never seem to actually go down in price outside of a sale.

i haven't bought a console game since the day bloodborne was released.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah alot, even on this thread. lol, i rarely buy collectors editions. last one i got was the witcher 3. and the helmet might look decent somewhere. my gf got my a 1:1 replica of the hounds helmet from GOT so idk.

I don't really buy limited editions anymore; partly because of price, and partly on the basis of waiting to see how a game fares before picking it up. That being said, I like them, but I sort of wish it wasn't something you had to pay more for. Having little physical goodies or reading material makes the package a bit more interesting. It feels like a throwback to the days of Infocom, where they'd have 'feelies' packed in with the game.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nah.

Soulless fake hype is lovely and horrible, but if anything is worse than it, it's smugly self-satisfied ironic contempt.

I didn't find the Devolver conference all that funny.

Especially considering that Bethesda was making fun of itself just hours beforehand, with Todd Howard leading the charge.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Todd Howard ones were way worse because they're not actually going to change anything about what they do.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I don't even mean the humor of it tbh, but more embracing the sillyness tbh. Everybody doing a devolver one would be grating af.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zedd posted:

I don't even mean the humor of it tbh, but more embracing the sillyness tbh. Everybody doing a devolver one would be grating af.

As we learned from Tiny Build's embarrassing attempt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I don't really buy limited editions anymore; partly because of price, and partly on the basis of waiting to see how a game fares before picking it up. That being said, I like them, but I sort of wish it wasn't something you had to pay more for. Having little physical goodies or reading material makes the package a bit more interesting. It feels like a throwback to the days of Infocom, where they'd have 'feelies' packed in with the game.

i miss when games came with big rear end manuals fool of pointless lore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roth posted:

The Todd Howard ones were way worse because they're not actually going to change anything about what they do.

The fact that they literally released Skyrim Very Special Edition for Amazon Echo about 2 hours after the presentation ended should tell you everything you need to know. I will give Todd Howard this, the man is an amazing salesman, but Bethesda deserves every joke thrown at it from now till the end of time.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The Last of Us 2 looked so violent and miserable that I couldn't help wondering if it was originally designed as a videogame remake of Hostel.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Thompsons posted:

The Last of Us 2 looked so violent and miserable that I couldn't help wondering if it was originally designed as a videogame remake of Hostel.

The first game has a boss fight against a pedophile cannibal that ends with Ellie hacking his face off

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Thompsons posted:

last of Us was always a dark/violent/miserable. apparently this is supposed to be the darkest chapter its theme according to druckman is hatred(the first ones was love) weirdly enough i am ok with the hosed up realistic violence. I prefer that over teflon poo poo that they show of in pg 13 movies where a person gets hit with chaingun and just falls over intact.

also the game has toads so thats good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah unless I looked away at some critical point, I'm not getting people being so crazy squeamish about this new game suddenly. You mostly get a startup before it cuts but a number of deaths in the first game were gruesome too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah unless I looked away at some critical point, I'm not getting people being so crazy squeamish about this new game suddenly. You mostly get a startup before it cuts but a number of deaths in the first game were gruesome too.

the only thing i saw about the violence was chris plante being uncomfortable about it. but he is always like that, he wrote some article about how he felt bad for enjoying shadow of mordor. personaly, i always found people being torn apart by zombies kinda hosed up. everyone has their limit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If anyone followed the Cracked youtube channel, Maggie Mae Fish from those quasi-critical media chat shows has struck out on her own as a genuine critic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0nAkXOkMs

It’s pretty good, although it swings pretty broad near the end—there’s at least one more part coming to this video about fathers in film.

Also it contains some massively hosed up info about the marketing of Man of Steel I had somehow never heard about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe this TLOU game will actually be fun to play. Get rid of the stupid zombie angle and just have rear end in a top hat humans to deal with.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 13, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The main interesting thing about E3 was the channels that got blasted with strikes, especially during the Ubi conf for streaming their reactions

Other than that I find it hard to care about any of it

Next week will be blissfully free of streams, reaction and thoughts videos. Channels that are currently pretending to care will go back to reviewing Teddy Boy on the SMS, and all will be well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe this TLOU game will actually be fun to play. Get rid of the stupid zombie angle and just have rear end in a top hat humans to deal with.

THe combat has been redone apparently. More based on counters and movement. More like uncharted gameplay.