Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pureauthor posted:

Isn't MHXA the Starbucks (or 'Spacebucks')
A guy in BL quipped that her full name sounds like a Starbucks coffee order. It stuck.

This was before MHXA was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I say this every month, but the latest Emiya Gohan was so good, especially young Taiga.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The latest episode was really good and a good showing of both young Taiga and baby Shirou.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I completely forgot how dark the parts of Carnival Phantasm with Shinji and Sakura were, jfc. :psyduck:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Apparently they're parodies of japanese soap opera-equivalents.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

apparnetly the director hated sakura

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kyte posted:

Apparently they're parodies of japanese soap opera-equivalents.

I get that, but compared to everything else in Carnival Phantasm, Shinji beating Sakura and nearly raping her is preeeettty grim.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cuntellectual posted:

I get that, but compared to everything else in Carnival Phantasm, Shinji beating Sakura and nearly raping her is preeeettty grim.

i mean, i'm gonna be completely honest, Shinji and Sakura are not exactly easy to mine jokes from and i'm a little amazed they even tried

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I thought the whole thing was suppose to be a meta-commentary on how disjointed and off-mark both Shinji and Sakura were in what Type-Moon thought people would think of the characters vs. how people actually thought of the characters. Neither had much popularity and not enough of Sakura's good side was shown to establish any empathy for when she goes full EVIL in HF. All of Sakura's lamentations on being a tragic helpless heroine and cold-blooded stabbing fools while Rider looks on in exacerbation seems petty accurate to the source material. It's taken many years and the rise in popularity of yandere and crazy bitches for Sakura to gain any popularity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

uhhhhhhhhh

crazy bitches, huh.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Is that an offensive term? Like would it be offensive to call Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club a "crazy bitch?"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the appropriate term is slore

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sakura's great actually and the fact that you missed that makes me pity you.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cuntellectual posted:

Did you also watch the OVA where Sakura makes a special salad for shirou

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Cuntellectual posted:

I mean, parody of overblown drama is not uncommon in comedy shows, even when the subject matter is dark. I assume it works on the target audience that actually knows what's being parodied.

And it was deliberately framed as overblown drama, you can tell even without having the cultural context.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Trihugger posted:

I thought the whole thing was suppose to be a meta-commentary on how disjointed and off-mark both Shinji and Sakura were in what Type-Moon thought people would think of the characters vs. how people actually thought of the characters. Neither had much popularity and not enough of Sakura's good side was shown to establish any empathy for when she goes full EVIL in HF. All of Sakura's lamentations on being a tragic helpless heroine and cold-blooded stabbing fools while Rider looks on in exacerbation seems petty accurate to the source material. It's taken many years and the rise in popularity of yandere and crazy bitches for Sakura to gain any popularity.

There is an rule where if someone uses "meta-commentary" seriously, with no irony, they are about say something bad and not good.
Once more, this universal constant has been proven to be true.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I just liked how Medusa did her best to protect Sakura in a comedic fashion even if it meant flashing

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Snooze Cruise posted:

There is an rule where if someone uses "meta-commentary" seriously, with no irony, they are about say something bad and not good.
Once more, this universal constant has been proven to be true.

Replace meta-commentary with parody. I dunno. I didn't find the skit funny the first time I watched it, so I had to watch it a few times to try and figure out what they were trying to do or say. Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there and all it is is them making fun of Japanese dramas and HF at the same time.

I was mostly thinking about the Let's Play of Heaven's Feel which had a lot of people either reacting for the first time or echoing the sentiment that they didn't really like Sakura and the reasons why. It's just my assumption that that was the problem most people who didn't like Sakura had with her.

And I was thinking about the comment on the 10th anniversary popularity poll which had Sakura ranked fairly high and (at least according to the wiki translation) that "the times are finally catching up with Sakura" which I took to mean that the type of character and behavior that Sakura displays is gaining more popularity therefore Sakura is gaining more popularity.

But none of that stuff is on display in the actual skit, so I'm probably adding things to it that aren't really there.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's really more like some of the extended media started giving her some focus so she naturally got more popular

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Trihugger posted:

The Most Heinous Misogyny is coming from inside the thread!

I've actually come to sour on Sakura's characterization somewhat when I realized that Heaven's Feel revolves around two pieces of ethical sleight of hand: the supernatural things affecting her mind are just vague enough that she's exactly as responsible or not responsible for the actions of the Shadow or Dark Sakura as the reader wants her to be, and the people killed by the Shadow aren't individually characterized. Interestingly, these criticisms also apply to half the Tsukihime characters (though not to Sakura's Tsukihime semi-counterpart Kohaku).

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Poor Gil :saddowns:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fun fact, did you know that in the standalone PSP port of the Hollow Ataraxia hanafuda minigame, Gilles meets Nero and confirms that while Nero and Jeanne are both Saberfaces, Nero is not a Jeanneface, unlike Saber, who is.

(no translated version, sadly)

https://twitter.com/kenny_FGO/status/1005686021625794560/video/1

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

IIRC it's because she doesn't have the same "feel"/aura/whatever of purity/holiness about her, yeah?

Nero is far too uninhibited basically. :v: compared to these other two who sacrificed so much.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

But Nero has a Jeanne level bust???

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bakanogami posted:

Fun fact, did you know that in the standalone PSP port of the Hollow Ataraxia hanafuda minigame, Gilles meets Nero and confirms that while Nero and Jeanne are both Saberfaces, Nero is not a Jeanneface, unlike Saber, who is.

(no translated version, sadly)

https://twitter.com/kenny_FGO/status/1005686021625794560/video/1

It's reiterated in FGO.

quote:

Hmmm, something is off. Just being a blond swordswoman won't work. Your cleanliness, cuteness, modesty, and purity aren't enough...if fact I would say you don't have any of these things.

The personality aspects are more important to Gilles than the physical resemblance.

He says it to both Nero and Mordred.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's funny how much random prescient poo poo is packed into that hanafuda game that gets brought up whenever it's relevant to fgo. can't wait for nero-manaka to deliver

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Whoa there Gilles. Nero Claudius is certainly immodest, impure, and, depending on definition, unclean, but we gonna have problems if you're saying Umu is not cute! :colbert:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Space Flower posted:

it's funny how much random prescient poo poo is packed into that hanafuda game that gets brought up whenever it's relevant to fgo. can't wait for nero-manaka to deliver

explain

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love that one of the most disturbing villains in the entire franchise is basically built around a sameface joke

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whoa there Gilles. Nero Claudius is certainly immodest, impure, and, depending on definition, unclean, but we gonna have problems if you're saying Umu is not cute! :colbert:

He's simply not cultured enough to appreciate her charm points.

Umu.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I love that one of the most disturbing villains in the entire franchise is basically built around a sameface joke

I'm trying to decide who the 'worst' person in Fate is, because FGO tries hard to make everyone at least a little likable.

Arch, Rider of Resistence or Kiriei, probably?

e: Actually it'd be Zouken or Twice probably.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"Fate villains worse than Gilles" is a list consisting of Zouken and maybe Kirei

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Twice Pieceman is a probably in there too, yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the worst person in type moon is makihisa

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's Makihisa yeah.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Twice Pieceman is a probably in there too, yeah.

I have absolutely no clue who that is

Also Makihisa is why I narrowed it down to Fate villains because that dude wins, instantly, if we're talking TM in general

e: I googled Twice and... I'm more confused than I was before I did that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Twice is the Fragment of 2030 guy and the big Antagonist of Fate/Extra and yeah it's complicated.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I have absolutely no clue who that is

Also Makihisa is why I narrowed it down to Fate villains because that dude wins, instantly, if we're talking TM in general

e: I googled Twice and... I'm more confused than I was before I did that

Basically:

He almost won the Moon grail war, but couldn't actually use the grail because he was an NPC based off of a dead person, and not actually that peson. So he set up shop outside the grail room's door with his servant, the absurdly overpowered Savior, and asked everyone who got to him "Hey can you wish on the grail to make the grail war permanent?" because in Twice's mind, war brings out the best in people.

When the near-winner obviously said no, that's insane, he shrugged and had Savior turn them into a bloody smear on the floor before waiting for the next poor schmuck.

What confused you? If it was Last Encore related you are not alone.

Endorph posted:

the worst person in type moon is makihisa

Probably, but I meant Fate specifically.

Though TM likes rape as a backstory element enough that I wouldn't be surprised if there was still someone worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Probably, but I meant Fate specifically.

Though TM likes rape as a backstory element enough that I wouldn't be surprised if there was still someone worse.

Zouken did much of the same thing as Makihisa in addition to killing a bunch of people. Though at least Zouken used to be a better person 200 or so years ago; Makihisa doesn't have that (he gradually succumbed to Inversion Impulse, but his sane self knew full well what he was doing).