Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Trying to setup nintendont going of the post earlier in this thread. Have everything on the root of my SD card but it's not showing up in wup installer or whatever it's called that I used to make the homebrew channel icon on the home screen. Nothing extra showed up in the Homebrew channel either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
did you click the youtube link?

the link for the installer you put in sd/install is in the description

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Figured it out. Messed up my folder structure at some point. Got it installed now, but when I go to launch it it just reboots the Wii U.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I had a look at what would be required to hack a dusty new 3ds xl and I just sort of glanced over the instructions and backed away slowly

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's actually exceptionally easy these days and takes like five minutes once you're set up. What part seemed difficult to you?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it seems kinda daunting when you read it but it’s actually really easy, it just takes a little time (and, if you’re on a firmware newer than 11.5, a $20 flashcard).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A 20 dollar flash card that then opens up an entire library of games.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Retroarch stopped working on my SNES mini and I can't figure out why. It was after I updated the hakchi2 utility on Windows.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

A 20 dollar flash card that then opens up an entire library of games.

Oh yeah I wasn’t trying to downplay the value of a flashcard, but point out that they’re cheaper than they used to be (I think I paid $35 for my Acekard 2i back in the day for use with my DSi which actually ended up being a great long-term investment because it was one of the few cards that worked natively in Luma when I hacked my 3DS).

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Nonviolent J posted:

Download loader.dol and rename it boot.dol
Also download meta.xml and icon.png
Create SD/apps/Nintendont/ and put those three files in there
ISOs go in SD/games

Install the forwarder for the Wii U homescreen guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQHxQcfb4Y
(you'll need wup installer to do that)

Is there a way to install and run Nintendont on the Wii U using the homebrew channel, or do I also now need to homebrew my wii virtual console channel first?

edit: nevermind, assumed I was installing similar to other apps from the homebrew channel and missed your comment on wup...

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 11, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Holy poo poo Nintendont is impressive as hell. It mostly just works out of the box once you get it configured. Didn't have to map controls to the gamepad or anything.

Are you able to remap controls though? Or should I check in game menus for that. I want to swap the face buttons around on Tony Hawk since my muscle memory still there. Bottom button is Ollie, left is flip etc etc.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

Are you able to remap controls though? Or should I check in game menus for that. I want to swap the face buttons around on Tony Hawk since my muscle memory still there. Bottom button is Ollie, left is flip etc etc.

I had the same issue with Tony Hawk 3, but then I read somewhere that pressing select changes the button layout to match with what you’re asking for. If I remember correctly it swaps A/B and X/Y, I don’t have my Wii U on hand to verify this.

I don’t think that Nintendont has a proper remapping tool.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Get a usb GC adapter and play with what god intended.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Get a usb GC adapter and play with what god intended.

Does this work? I did the VC Inject method to install these rather than loading nintendont and then the game but my adapter and gc controller doen't work.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PageMaster posted:

Does this work? I did the VC Inject method to install these rather than loading nintendont and then the game but my adapter and gc controller doen't work.

It definitely works via Nintendont. Rumble and analog trigger support and all.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

PageMaster posted:

Which adapter. There's issues with some revisions of the Mayflash 2 port adapter (I think) where it just doesn't work with nintendont

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is retroarch on 3ds supposed to be total garbage? It doesn't look like I can configure any setting like screen scaling so anything I run on their cores look like blurry messes.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

havenwaters posted:

Which adapter. There's issues with some revisions of the Mayflash 2 port adapter (I think) where it just doesn't work with nintendont

It's the official gc adapter; I'll try loading through nintendont and seeing if that changes things.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CascadeBeta posted:

Is retroarch on 3ds supposed to be total garbage? It doesn't look like I can configure any setting like screen scaling so anything I run on their cores look like blurry messes.

It's not supposed to be but it really is, given that everyone's been using the VC injections for just about every console so there's not a ton of momentum for getting retroarch running in the first place.

I don't remember if it was ITT or elsewhere but ostensibly the retroarch devs didn't even have 3DSes until extremely recently and were just kind of blindly firing off 3DS builds of cores and assuming someone would yell if they didn't work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pro Tip: Retroarch is garbage on every platform

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pro Tip: Retroarch is garbage on every platform

Pro tip: your opinion is garbage

It's great on PS3, Wii U and PC. Haven't tried the 3DS port so I can't comment on that one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It falls into the trap of "has all the features, is a pain in the rear end to use"

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Having a gigantic feature set inevitably increases complexity, sure, but how many advanced options do you really need to touch unless you feel like it?

Load content, choose emulation core if there are several available, and your game is up and running.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The biggest beef I have with Retroarch is the config file management. I never know if my settings will apply to one core, all cores, or what. It also likes to forget my controller configs on Android. Otherwise, it's nice to be able to use the same emulators with more or less the same GUI on a bunch of different platforms. I'm all about that aspect.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

azurite posted:

The biggest beef I have with Retroarch is the config file management. I never know if my settings will apply to one core, all cores, or what. It also likes to forget my controller configs on Android. Otherwise, it's nice to be able to use the same emulators with more or less the same GUI on a bunch of different platforms. I'm all about that aspect.

I'm not sure if per-core configs is still a feature or if they've finally yanked that out, but if they're still in I'd suggest never using them. It inevitably turns into an unmanageable mess. Per-core overrides came later and is simpler and better approach for those who need that.

Personally I only care about input remapping which can be handled independently on a per-core/game level, and is a feature that you can easily manage from within the quick menu.

You should save controller automap layouts on Android if you want to make things easy for yourself, and possibly even submit them to the libretro repo if you feel like being helpful. With an automap it shouldn't matter if Android randomly decides to juggle hardware identifiers around.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I tried using Retroarch on PC and it was rear end that was way to hard to configure. I went to BizHawk and never looked back

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I tried Retroarch on Wii U, SNES specifically. Save/load states would freeze the entire console, and configurations wouldn't save. Maybe I just hosed up the install somehow?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It definitely works via Nintendont. Rumble and analog trigger support and all.

Are you sure? I tried Mario Sunshine with my cube controllers and it sucked because I didn't detect the analog triggers at all, making it basically unplayable.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Keito posted:

Having a gigantic feature set inevitably increases complexity, sure, but how many advanced options do you really need to touch unless you feel like it?

Load content, choose emulation core if there are several available, and your game is up and running.

I can't even load the retroarch core. Individual cores can be loaded independently through their own files but not through the retroarch app.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Are you sure? I tried Mario Sunshine with my cube controllers and it sucked because I didn't detect the analog triggers at all, making it basically unplayable.

Yes. Definitely worked for me when I tried Sunshine and Melee.

Edit: F-Zero too.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I'm willing to bet we'll have Atmosphere in the next 48 hours. Lots of stuff on twitter hinting that it's done.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Can load game backups now: https://gbatemp.net/threads/backup-loading-using-hekate-ipl.507488/

1) Get a title id of any game you have installed from http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Title_list/Games (this is your target titleid)
2) Create a directory on SD : sd:/atmosphere/titles/*target_titleid*
3) use hactool to extract the romfs.bin and exefs files from your main game nca (its in secure from XCI - the biggest one)
4) put romfs.bin in sd:/atmosphere/titles/*target_titleid*/romfs.bin, exefs files into sd:/atmosphere/titles/*target_titleid*/exefs/
5) Edit titleid in main.npdm (in exefs) to contain target title id (this might help http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=NPDM)
6) run a fs_mitm containing CFW release, run your target app (https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-layeredfs-working.507460/)

So basicaly injecting games into others {including downloaded demos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzyZC_Z28yg

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apparently you can also downgrade but its really not a solid idea and going lower than 4.0 when you are above that firmware may stop your cartridge port from working.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-run-any-switch-firmware-unofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Good Lord that's a bit hacky. Someone will have made a tool in a week at this rate, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bloody hell, that's a process and a half.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

what the heck is a "game backup"

if you have the game, why do you need to play the "backup" version of it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Takoluka posted:

It's a wink-wink term for :filez:

It harkens back to the floppy disk games of yore, where it was considered a responsible practice to make copies of game disks for your own purposes since disks were fragile, but of course everyone just pirated like crazy instead.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Takoluka posted:

It's a backup version of the game created by dumping the cart/disc content onto a computer. Accurate enough as long as you realise people don't mean their *own* backups!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Takoluka posted:

Probably the dump cartridge games and not have to carry them around if you're not being obtuse and want a legitimate reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looking forward to people installing this and seeing how many get banned before I risk my Switch on it.