Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
The significance is that Star Wars is now eating and making GBS threads itself in an endless cycle until it's no longer profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is already no longer profitable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's one movie. Episode IX will likely be fine. Plus all of the things non-movie but still Star Wars related making still extremely profitable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

It's one movie. Episode IX will likely be fine. Plus all of the things non-movie but still Star Wars related making still extremely profitable.

Have there been any tedious, alarmist thinkpieces about how Toys R Us going under impacts Star Wars merchandise? :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Neo Rasa posted:

Was there ever any old EU thing where they have some super important significance or something?

Ironically, they're like the one background detail the old EU didn't obsessively fixate on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hearing this a lot and yeah, I don't get why the dice are suddenly important.

Welcome to franchise film making.

Disney wants to place emphasise on objects over characters. It's why the Falcoln is being worshipped in promotional material and has been given a backstory that it's hundreds of years old. Its why Luke's saber has been made more important than it ever was.

Objects can appear in film after film after film.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have there been any tedious, alarmist thinkpieces about how Toys R Us going under impacts Star Wars merchandise? :v:

Not quite what you are asking for but there are writeups about how kids are less into toys and more into swipin on the ipad and how toys r us folding is a reflection of that

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Welcome to franchise film making.

Disney wants to place emphasise on objects over characters. It's why the Falcoln is being worshipped in promotional material and has been given a backstory that it's hundreds of years old. Its why Luke's saber has been made more important than it ever was.

Objects can appear in film after film after film.

I mean, you're right there's more of an emphasis now, but this isn't entirely new to the Disney era. Take your Falcon example...

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hearing this a lot and yeah, I don't get why the dice are suddenly important.

Was there ever any old EU thing where they have some super important significance or something?

You could say they gambled and lost by rolling so much footage of them in the new movies.

I suppose they could have gone with the idea that Han won the falcon in a dice game and kept the dice, but that would have made sense and that's not what the filmmakers are going for these days.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Ingmar terdman posted:

Not quite what you are asking for but there are writeups about how kids are less into toys and more into swipin on the ipad and how toys r us folding is a reflection of that

This is actually a lie; Toys R Us wasn’t “profitable” despite being the number one toy retailer in the country because Bain Capital took out massive billion dollar loans to buy it out then saddled the company with the massive debt they could never pay off. Same reason KB Toys went under. Classic vulture capitalism.

Anyway, Star Wars toys have always been mass produced to the point of worthlessness. You can still go into some toy stores and find mint on card Episode 1 Jar Jars. After Episode I and II you could buy the leftovers on steep discount. It’s why I think those YouTube people who claim Star Wars toys don’t sell anymore are full of poo poo. By the way, that’s a YouTube genre now; going to stores and pointing to peg warmers like they haven’t always been there. Click one video criticizing The Last Jedi and YouTube will try to send you down a delusional alt-right rabbit hole.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe I mentioned previously, I'm not surprised that the alt-right wankers don't like TLJ but I've been very surprised to discover recently that there's a small but annoying coterie of right-wing trolls who go on about how great DC movies are and how much they hate Marvel, and I just don't get it because it's not like the DC movies agree with them (and there's probably some amusing arguments about how Marvel movies don't necessarily disagree).

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I honestly think this is the only place I've seen people defend the DC movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The DC movies get talked about a lot on the Internet but I think most normal people have the same attitude to, say, Batman v Superman, as they did to The Last Jedi, i.e. "It was fine. Might go to the next one. Well, time to get on with my life." You know, I assume most people have better things to do than come on Internet forums and either whinge or gush about how terrible or brilliant nerd movies are.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SolarFire2 posted:

Saw Solo finally. Thought it was alright, but the focus in this film, and Last Jedi, on those dice is very very strange. The dice are in one shot in A New Hope and never show up again, and these two movies treat them like they're a central linchpin of Han's character.

From the 90s CCG.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So far the Sequel Trilogy has felt like the Hobbit movies. I watched the first one because I liked the earlier movies, I watched the 2nd one because I wanted to see where the story was going, but I skipped the 3rd one and I've got the same feeling about Episode IX. Nothing in TLJ is enticing me to see where the story goes next.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SimonCat posted:

I watched the first one because I liked the earlier movies, I watched the 2nd one because I wanted to see where the story was going, but I skipped the 3rd one and I've got the same feeling about Episode IX. Nothing in TLJ is enticing me to see where the story goes next.
I haven't even seen TLJ yet, but I now know enough about it also to know that I don't really care whether I eventually do or not. I think a big issue is that, for better or worse, the pre-Disney movies were all the vision of one man, who was trying to tell the one big story he had in his head for decades. The sequels and spinoffs are written by a bunch of randos working to the requirements of a corporate group, and storytelling by committee is always going to be lacking. One guy writes one episode, another writes something completely different the next: it's not a saga, just a bunch of stuff happening.

poo poo, I hate the whole "mystery box" conceit JJ Abrams loves so much - it's a cheap and lazy gimmick that expresses a fair amount of contempt for the audience - and thought it was hilarious that the guy hired to make the follow-up went out of his way to dynamite all Abrams' precious mystery boxes, but that still doesn't make me want to rush out and buy TLJ.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SimonCat posted:

So far the Sequel Trilogy has felt like the Hobbit movies. I watched the first one because I liked the earlier movies, I watched the 2nd one because I wanted to see where the story was going, but I skipped the 3rd one and I've got the same feeling about Episode IX. Nothing in TLJ is enticing me to see where the story goes next.

I have no idea how Episode IX is going to go, and I disagree with you about TLJ, but I just wanted to say you made the 100% right call skipping the third Hobbit movie. That was hot garbage, and I really regret bothering (and I just watched it at home, for free on one of the movie channels).

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

They skip most of the third movie in the book too :v:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I feel like the PT told an engaging story with some lovely film-making whereas, so far, the ST has been telling a completely uninteresting story through films that are mostly watchable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All the Star Wars movies are much of a muchness for me.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Wheat Loaf posted:

Star Wars isn't a movie, it's a brand. And to clarify, profitability for shareholders and executives is not just a single instance of failure like Solo, but takes into consideration its future earning potential. Their current process allows them to churn out films at an absurd pace using interchangeable creative pieces. This process is more valuable than anything.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The only mistake tlj made was not realizing kylo ren is the first compelling character in star wars history and not excising everything but Rey, Luke and kylo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

KVeezy3 posted:

Star Wars isn't a movie, it's a brand. And to clarify, profitability for shareholders and executives is not just a single instance of failure like Solo, but takes into consideration its future earning potential. Their current process allows them to churn out films at an absurd pace using interchangeable creative pieces. This process is more valuable than anything.

Wheat Loaf posted:

All the Star Wars movies are much of a muchness for me.

Then the Emperor has already won...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Payndz posted:

I haven't even seen TLJ yet, but I now know enough about it also to know that I don't really care whether I eventually do or not. I think a big issue is that, for better or worse, the pre-Disney movies were all the vision of one man, who was trying to tell the one big story he had in his head for decades. The sequels and spinoffs are written by a bunch of randos working to the requirements of a corporate group, and storytelling by committee is always going to be lacking. One guy writes one episode, another writes something completely different the next: it's not a saga, just a bunch of stuff happening.

poo poo, I hate the whole "mystery box" conceit JJ Abrams loves so much - it's a cheap and lazy gimmick that expresses a fair amount of contempt for the audience - and thought it was hilarious that the guy hired to make the follow-up went out of his way to dynamite all Abrams' precious mystery boxes, but that still doesn't make me want to rush out and buy TLJ.

This reminds me of what happened to once-hit TV series Heroes. The show completely destroyed itself because among other things the writers room was run on spite and self-pretension. Different writers would not like where so-and-so's character was heading and so would drastically retcon/contradict it the next time they got to be head writer on an episode. Then the other writer would get the lead position the episode after and revert what the other had done , and so it went back and forth. Maybe Rian Johnson wanted to do different stuff than J.J Abrams. But if thats the case you don't decide to take the second movie in a trilogy. More so, if your Lucasfilm you make sure your directors are on the same page and not throwing each others work in the trash when they're ostensibly trying to tell a single coherent narrative. It's going to get even worse come Episode IX when Abrams undo's all the changes to his stuff that Johnson made thus making the whole trilogy feel more like a playground spat than an epic three part story.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They needed a year break before writing episode 8 instead of writing the thing while 7 was in post production. It’s just not right.

Although it worked thankfully.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

They needed a year break before writing episode 8 instead of writing the thing while 7 was in post production. It’s just not right.

Although it worked thankfully.

"Worked".

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The late additions in TLJ were among the most hated contents, so it “worked”.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No quotation marks.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

CelticPredator posted:

No quotation marks.

https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/996486979578662912

Shockingly CelticPredator is right.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/997679127510618112

Whoa, thanks Dataracer117 for blowing the lid off this controversy. The world will never be the same.

edit: Taking a look at this guy's page, drat, it's like his personal mission to hate new Star Wars.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

thrawn527 posted:

https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/997679127510618112

Whoa, thanks Dataracer117 for blowing the lid off this controversy. The world will never be the same.

edit: Taking a look at this guy's page, drat, it's like his personal mission to hate new Star Wars.

Does that make the video invalid? Because hes saying he wants half the audience to hate his films and half to love it - and while the majority of people who saw TLJ probably thought "eh, it was good" he did seem to bring out the extreme ends of the spectrum.

For the record I was kind of "eh" on the film up until Rose's dumb speech about protecting what you love rather than fighting what you hate.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MrFlibble posted:

Does that make the video invalid? Because hes saying he wants half the audience to hate his films and half to love it - and while the majority of people who saw TLJ probably thought "eh, it was good" he did seem to bring out the extreme ends of the spectrum.

For the record I was kind of "eh" on the film up until Rose's dumb speech about protecting what you love rather than fighting what you hate.

No, I'm just laughing at that guy for thinking he's some truthbringer in a world of lies.

The video clip is basically Johnson saying he doesn't want to make light entertaining fluff designed to appeal to everyone. He wants to make bold choices that will likely divide people, because they'll strongly appeal to some people and strongly repel others. That's definitely what he accomplished, and I'm in the former camp.

Like, I didn't need Rian telling me that. That was clear from the movie (and his infamous episode of Breaking Bad, The Fly, which I also loved).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 14, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is what RLM has done to people's brains.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

RLM wasn't all that harsh on TLJ

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

galagazombie posted:

This reminds me of what happened to once-hit TV series Heroes. The show completely destroyed itself because among other things the writers room was run on spite and self-pretension. Different writers would not like where so-and-so's character was heading and so would drastically retcon/contradict it the next time they got to be head writer on an episode. Then the other writer would get the lead position the episode after and revert what the other had done , and so it went back and forth. Maybe Rian Johnson wanted to do different stuff than J.J Abrams. But if thats the case you don't decide to take the second movie in a trilogy. More so, if your Lucasfilm you make sure your directors are on the same page and not throwing each others work in the trash when they're ostensibly trying to tell a single coherent narrative. It's going to get even worse come Episode IX when Abrams undo's all the changes to his stuff that Johnson made thus making the whole trilogy feel more like a playground spat than an epic three part story.

Or maybe for your big predictable trilogy, you write all the poo poo out before you start filming the first one. Episode IX should have at least had a lengthy treatment with all major plot beats defined thoroughly before shooting began on Episode VII. They're clearly making this poo poo up as they go along to a degree even Lucas could only imagine, and it shows.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

RLM didn't exist in 2003...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RLM was fine.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

RLM didn't exist in 2003...

I'm referring to digging up quotes to prove that Star Wars is a conspiracy against its fans.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm referring to digging up quotes to prove that Star Wars is a conspiracy against its fans.

RLM doesn't do this what are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I'm kidding. Honestly about half of all time great movies initially produce massive polarization (or worse) so it's not a bad goal. Not to say TLJ is a great movie but it's good to reach for the stars.