Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Battlefront should be on steam, but they'd get crucified if they did. Their existing player base accepts the jankiness, bad DLC model, poor performance and unintuitive AI, but that poo poo won't fly for the majority of people (rightfully so!).

Battlefront is notoriously thin-skinned when it comes to criticism though, so instead of admitting that they could modernize their game and business model, they'd only double down on their belief that 'steam kiddies don't understand REAL games'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

gradenko_2000 posted:

Field of Glory 2 is on sale. Good or bad? Any hot takes / opinions?

good, great as a multiplayer game

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Hey, if Paradox can charge for patches so can they

Unfortunately, Paradox stopped charging for patches several years ago. No worries though, many people in the paradox forums want to go back to that model.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

quote:

While this is not 100% set in stone, most likely for a 1925 start you will get to choose if the Washington Treaty is in effect or not as an option. The rest I cannot get into at this point, sorry.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

gradenko_2000 posted:

Field of Glory 2 is on sale. Good or bad? Any hot takes / opinions?

I bought it despite having zero (or close) interest in the ancient time period based on the glowing recommendations I saw in this thread a few weeks ago when I saw it was on sale.

Unfortunately, I have zero interest in the time period so haven’t even installed yet, so cannot really comment on it other than to say other goons gave it a glowing recommendation.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I like it even if I'm really bad at it and got crucified in the couple of random multiplayer matches I played. I just gently caress around with custom battles and have fun.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

cool new Metroid game posted:

I like it even if I'm really bad at it and got crucified in the couple of random multiplayer matches I played. I just gently caress around with custom battles and have fun.

I installed it. It is quite fun despite the time period. Not something I would even contemplate attempting multiplayer in though until I had at least 100 hours of gameplay.

It is very much like a tabletop game, which I never contemplate playing until I have spent at least a couple weekends watching others play.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Re: Field of Glory 2

I can't seem to maintain any frontline cohesion. If I'm trying to defend a hill, as soon as I attack someone, they retreat and my unit follows them off the hill and gets swarmed. Am I supposed to just wait for them to attack me instead?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Re: Field of Glory 2

I can't seem to maintain any frontline cohesion. If I'm trying to defend a hill, as soon as I attack someone, they retreat and my unit follows them off the hill and gets swarmed. Am I supposed to just wait for them to attack me instead?

Are you doing the first tutorial? It took me 3 times to beat it. :classiclol:

But, to answer your question I noticed the Gaelic infantry suck at charging (or the hill advantage is negates in a charge, not sure which), but are okay at melee. So essentially what you are saying is what I did.

I waited for the Romans to charge and then just melee’d them afterwards—FYI it took me awhile to figure out that even if the units were in contact and looked to be fighting, I still needed to tell them to melee every round on my turn or they wouldn’t.

Once those Legionnaires are engaged they are set up for being flanked and, generally speaking, if your Gaelic infantry force them back and pursue once all the other Legionnaire units are engaged thats good not bad.

Basically the entire game revolves around the cohesion/morale mechanics, and while true of a lot of games, I feel like it is really visible in this game.

The goal is to break the other guy, not take or defend objectives.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the Rule the Waves website might well be the most Web 1.0 thing I've ever seen, it literally looks like a scam

and then you have to wait for someone to manually process the order I guess?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Mister Bates posted:

the Rule the Waves website might well be the most Web 1.0 thing I've ever seen, it literally looks like a scam

and then you have to wait for someone to manually process the order I guess?

Yes. I only had to wait two days to be emailed my key, so I feel lucky.

I changed computers since I originally bought the game, and that was another nightmare; however...

:getin:

Its worth it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What the gently caress kind of treaty is this. it's 1902.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

The rush for dreadnoughts in 1909 is going to be amazing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

In regards to battlefront,

I had to pay $10(twice) for a patch to play the classics Barbarossa to Berlin and Afrika Corps and that was enough reason for me to not buy any of their newer games.

Also their website is garbo and they can suck my balls

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Stairmaster posted:

That's a good treaty. I think I prefer those somewhat limiting ones to the 'lol heavy cruisers only' treaties.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

Yes. I only had to wait two days to be emailed my key, so I feel lucky.

I changed computers since I originally bought the game, and that was another nightmare; however...

:getin:

Its worth it.

I got my key in 3 and a half hours, it was incredibly fast for such a ridiculous system. Even with RTW2 coming out soonish, I would wholeheartedly recommended RTW1 to fill the gap. It must be in one of my top 5 games ever, it's worth every penny.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I had not troubles at all either. They even cheerfully re-supplied my key when I needed it for a patch after a basic confirmation check.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I caved and bought it immediately after making that post, just waiting for someone to get around to giving me the thing now

Is there a similar game for designing airplanes? Rule the Skies or something like that? I know Land Doctrine does something similar for tanks, and I really want to like Land Doctrine, but I just couldn't get into it

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Saros posted:

That's a good treaty. I think I prefer those somewhat limiting ones to the 'lol heavy cruisers only' treaties.

last one i played i had a "heavy cruisers only" treaty from 1904 (killing Dreadnought in the builders yard) and i managed to extend it out all the way to 1925 it was whack.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bought Field of Glory 2 last night, played a quick battle with a post-Marian Reform army versus an Italian Hill Tribe and won handily, nbd

Started the Rise of Rome campaign, first battle was against some Etruscans, crushed their left flank, and I think "hey I'm getting the hang of this!"

The second battle is against Brennus's Gallic warband and holy poo poo why is this is so difficult.

EDIT: What an incredible mess -

I won by the very skin of my teeth, the game's very good though!

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 12, 2018

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought Field of Glory 2 last night, played a quick battle with a post-Marian Reform army versus an Italian Hill Tribe and won handily, nbd

Started the Rise of Rome campaign, first battle was against some Etruscans, crushed their left flank, and I think "hey I'm getting the hang of this!"

The second battle is against Brennus's Gallic warband and holy poo poo why is this is so difficult.

EDIT: What an incredible mess -

I won by the very skin of my teeth, the game's very good though!

So far my only complaints are:

1. Facing is a real bitch and I really haven’t figured out a good way to actually flank anyone, since really my horsemen appear to exist to chase my opponents horses (and vice versa) all over the loving map;

2. I really don’t agree with what they are calling rough terrain, particularly since it fucks up the cohesion of all heavy infantry including well trained legionaries;

3. I don’t really care for the “buying units” system in the campaign. I would much rather just have had a set group of units, maybe with set reinforcements, that improve with experience;

4. I don’t get what causes cohesion checks. I should probably read the manual.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

So far my only complaints are:

1. Facing is a real bitch and I really haven’t figured out a good way to actually flank anyone, since really my horsemen appear to exist to chase my opponents horses (and vice versa) all over the loving map;

2. I really don’t agree with what they are calling rough terrain, particularly since it fucks up the cohesion of all heavy infantry including well trained legionaries;

3. I don’t really care for the “buying units” system in the campaign. I would much rather just have had a set group of units, maybe with set reinforcements, that improve with experience;

4. I don’t get what causes cohesion checks. I should probably read the manual.

1. This is accurate for the time period, assuming you're playing classical armies. Cavalry seems like it's not worth it if that's all they do, but you also don't want the enemy to have the cavalry advantage and actually be able to use them.

2. Yeah, it's really hard to get a visual idea of where to place my army when certain tiles are unexpectedly rough.

3. Haven't done a campaign yet.

4. Yeah, it's in the manual. 10% shooting casualties in a turn, losing melee, seeing allies break or a general die, or falling back from non-lights. You get modifiers for troop quality (and type-- heavy foot gets a bonus), generals, casualties, and some other things like flanking and what troop type caused the damage. You also get more negative modifiers the more broken you already are.

Overall I'm having a lot of fun with the game. It's really neat to have so many armies to choose from and different approaches with the armies.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
so, uh, is there some option hidden somewhere that lets me resize these windows? the game isn't really playable this way

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's very weird, it should be just a normal windows window. You're running the latest patches and everything I take it?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
What resolution are you running at and do you have forced scaling turned on?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm very proud of this:

The battle started with the big hill right between myself and the Italian Hill Tribe army. I marched my Roman hoplites to the top of the hill, but then the enemy wouldn't approach, so I had to run my javelineers out ahead, beat THEIR javelineers, and then the Italians started advancing after their javelineers were routed.

I simply held fast at the center, and the flanks just crumpled like a bad fender.

It's also very exciting when you get a rout and it triggers a chain or 2-3 more routs in adjacent units.

Game continues to own.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

That's very weird, it should be just a normal windows window. You're running the latest patches and everything I take it?

Are there additional patches that have to be downloaded? I just downloaded the installer for the first time yesterday, and got my registration key today.

uPen posted:

What resolution are you running at and do you have forced scaling turned on?

1360 x 768 at 125% scaling. Lowering it to the default 100% scaling both makes the text too small for me to use the computer without squinting and also still leaves the bottom of the ship design window hidden under the taskbar. I'm going to try increasing the screen resolution and seeing if that does the trick.

e: yeah, sadly it looks like this game is simply unplayable on the living room television, I'll have to throw it on my laptop. Hope that registration key works for multiple installs.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 12, 2018

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

FOG2 lets me answer important questions like what if 2nd century BC sparta decided to invade 4th century AD wales?

answer: the welsh get their poo poo kicked in. :hist101:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Are there additional patches that have to be downloaded? I just downloaded the installer for the first time yesterday, and got my registration key today.

1360 x 768 at 125% scaling. Lowering it to the default 100% scaling both makes the text too small for me to use the computer without squinting and also still leaves the bottom of the ship design window hidden under the taskbar. I'm going to try increasing the screen resolution and seeing if that does the trick.

e: yeah, sadly it looks like this game is simply unplayable on the living room television, I'll have to throw it on my laptop. Hope that registration key works for multiple installs.

I don't know when the installer was last updated, but I'd be suprised if there wasnt a patch.

See here: http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/335/rtw-rule-waves-information-downloads

TBH I kind of doubt it's going to help whatever weird issue it is you are having but the patches are well worth having anyway.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
This is what Fields of Glory 2 has taught me...

Ancient warfare was a chaotic mess where opponents just randomly hacked at each other until one of the armies fell apart.

Also, Pax Romana was a loving miracle since Roman Legionaries could only fight on completely flat, even terrain.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Kind of makes me :thunk: about everything I've ever heard about the differences between formations and training at the Battle of Cynoscephalae

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did this thread ever start that leftist grognard game website the thread was talking about?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

algebra testes posted:

Did this thread ever start that leftist grognard game website the thread was talking about?

People's Wargames best wargames.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5752/black-sea-black-death

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Class Warcraft posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/06/08/the-flare-path-this-and-that/

Salty as gently caress about steam still. Never change grogs.

How or why would they "Break even" if they already have games developed?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How or why would they "Break even" if they already have games developed?

they are talking about future game releases, this isn't hard

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

algebra testes posted:

Nope. I am still down though. I can write and edit, I just didn’t have the time or money to manage a website.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gnoman posted:

I had not troubles at all either. They even cheerfully re-supplied my key when I needed it for a patch after a basic confirmation check.

When I bought it I did the dumb thing of not realizing how I could get my key again for my second install and I got a really quick reply about it on a Saturday. Dude was chill.

Website is silly though. I'm excited for RTW2 anyway.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

they are talking about future game releases, this isn't hard

I dunno man they make videogame development sound impossible and I feel like they are the only company that really gets it, you know?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ZombieLenin posted:

This is what Fields of Glory 2 has taught me...

Ancient warfare was a chaotic mess where opponents just randomly hacked at each other until one of the armies fell apart.

Also, Pax Romana was a loving miracle since Roman Legionaries could only fight on completely flat, even terrain.

They perform much better if they have their Pasta Point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I dunno man they make videogame development sound impossible and I feel like they are the only company that really gets it, you know?

From a financial standpoint, game development *is* very difficult. Moreso for independent studios who typically work on a single title at any given time. For every success story that you are aware of, there are untold very serious endeavors that didn't make the cut.