Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Seattle Mariners are playing their 41st season of baseball, following 40 disappointing seasons. One of only two teams to never even play in a World Series, along with the Expos/Nationals, being a fan of the Mariners usually just means enjoying the individual great performances that are nullified by the rest of the team.

As of this post in 2018, they've been pretty good and lead the AL West. They keep winning one run games, so it might all collapse according to nerds, but it is fun right now. Maybe they'll finally break the longest playoff drought in the majors?

Mariners to know:
Ichiro - One of the two greatest Mariners of all time, came back at the start of the year, but other than a few cool old man highlights couldn't really produce. Now is the Special Assistant to the Chairman. That means he doesn't play in games, but does everything else like he's going to play a game, because otherwise he would literally die. I never saw him when he was originally here, so the main thing I know him for on the field is that he's always the first guy in the post-win high five line and that's awesome.

James Paxton - Always been good, but constantly injured. Now he's extremely good and not injured. Keeping both of those things true is key to the hope for the playoffs.

Nelson Cruz - Proof that the DH is cool and good.

Robinson Cano - Graciously decided to let Dee Gordon have his natural position at 2B and save the Mariners 15 million dollars for this season.

Dee Gordon - Finally a great leadoff hitter. Super fun to watch on the bases.

Kyle Seager - The Less Interesting Seager, but the kind of super solid local star that teams need.

Felix Hernandez - Not good anymore. Doesn't seem to realize it.

Edwin Diaz - A young, lanky guy, but has a hell of a slider/fastball combo. A real good closer and a true blessing after the Fernando Rodney years.

Jean Segura - Buried under some of the bigger AL shortstop names, he's still really drat good. The trade for him and Mitch Haniger was the best thing Dipoto has done.

They're fun. Hopefully they'll get to October.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
OP neglected to mention Mitch Haniger, who has capably filled in as both cleanup and three hole hitter and is basically the best Mariner right now.

Just tonight, he hit two home runs and threw out Valbuena trying to stretch a single.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Also neglected to mention that 2001 was a very, very fun year to be a Mariners fan. So was 1995.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I didn't entirely neglect Haniger, but I file him as kind of like a (not as good) Mike Trout, where he's clearly very good but I think he's kind of boring.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I was at the 1995 play in game against the Angels, I was at Spring Training in 2001 and I have the best Ichiro avatar. Thank you for making this thread.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

M's gonna end the drought

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is this a safe space away from Pythagorean evidence?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I am going to Safeco for the first time ever at the end of July(first time seeing the Mariners live in 20 years), if they do start coming apart I would prefer it to happen sometime after that thx.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Obviously this season has been fantastic so far, but I think the best part is that the Ms have actually been playing better since Cano got suspended.

There were MULTIPLE games that the Mariners won in which Gordon Beckham and Andrew Romine were the middle infielders.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Gordon Beckham is what pops out by default for a white middle infielder from create a player in MLB The Show.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Edgar should be in the Hof.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mustached Demon posted:

Edgar should be in the Hof.

He was so close last time I don't know why he wouldn't be on this next time. Although I also think Griffey's induction should have been unanimous, and some baseball writers that vote have no respect for the DH position so who knows as long as they are still there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Is this a safe space away from Pythagorean evidence?

This is a place where we can shove nerds into lockers.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
This the place for future tears?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Some Numbers posted:

Obviously this season has been fantastic so far, but I think the best part is that the Ms have actually been playing better since Cano got suspended.

There were MULTIPLE games that the Mariners won in which Gordon Beckham and Andrew Romine were the middle infielders.

I would go so far as to say that the M's are doing well because Cano got suspended.

1995: Lose Griffey for half the season due to injury => first playoff appearance
2000: Trade away Johnson in '98 and Griffey in off-season => ALCS
2001: Lose A-Rod via free-agency => 116 wins
2018: Lose Cano for half the season due to hot piss => ????????

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Tony Phillips posted:

This the place for future tears?

Yes, tears of joy as YOUR SEATTLE MARINERS end the longest active playoff drought in American sports :qq:

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

checking in as cautiously optimistic

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://gfycat.com/QuickYoungBoilweevil

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

This is your periodic reminder that we got Mitch Haniger and Jean Segura for Taijuan Walker and Ketel Marte.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Some Numbers posted:

This is your periodic reminder that we got Mitch Haniger and Jean Segura for Taijuan Walker and Ketel Marte.

The one time the Ms look to have won a trade in the past 10 years.

But in seriousness, the constant random moves by Dipopto appear to be generally positive even if it seems he's playing a video game and constantly trading for someone with +2 overall than the last guy. Picking up Leake and Gonzalez from the Cardslast year are proving very good for SP consistency and depth which didnt exist at all last year.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tank44 posted:

The one time the Ms look to have won a trade in the past 10 years.

But in seriousness, the constant random moves by Dipopto appear to be generally positive even if it seems he's playing a video game and constantly trading for someone with +2 overall than the last guy. Picking up Leake and Gonzalez from the Cardslast year are proving very good for SP consistency and depth which didnt exist at all last year.

It didn't help that last year every one of the SP we had to start the year went on the DL at some point. We are seeing what a healthy Mariners can do for the first time this year, even with losing Cano.

I want Junino to make his return, because we are going to need him going against the Red Sox and Yankees.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Just posted by the baseball reference facebook page:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Just posted by the baseball reference facebook page:

And Segura's been really good too!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Haniger owns, it is known

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

kensei posted:

Haniger owns, it is known

gently caress

Yes

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

kensei posted:

gently caress

Yes

I love my dead gay baseball team

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
GOMS.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mitch Haniger is my favorite baseball player since Edgar.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Glad they won today and gave Diaz the day off. The Haniger home run was also cool.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Mariners are now 20 games above .500 :woop:

The Angels are 7.5 games behind the AL West leading Mariners :sweep:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Praise Haniger.

Andrew Romine still needs to get Dfa'd.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

There is an excellent recent article about Mariners’ radio announcer Rick Rizzs, who got the job by eating nearly three dozen cookies:

quote:

Rizzs was one of two finalists for the Mariners job. The night before his interview with team owner George Argyros in Southern California, Rizzs was in a cookie-eating contest with local celebrities at a Columbus mall to kick off Girl Scout cookie sales.

“It was the dumbest thing I have ever done in my life,” Rizzs said. “I go to this contest and eat 33 cookies in three minutes — and I didn’t even win. I finished in third place.”

The next morning, Rizzs had severe chest pains.

“I thought I was having a heart attack,” he said. “My chest hurt so badly, and I couldn’t breathe.”

Rizzs rushed to a hospital. Doctors did not think he had a heart attack, but he would have to delay his trip a day so he could undergo tests.

The next day, after learning he had suffered a stretched sternum, Rizzs was in Argyros’ office.

“After about an hour talking with him, he says sternly, ‘Now why did you miss the appointment yesterday?’ I told him, and we laughed about it,” Rizzs said. “After a few minutes, he reached over the table and shook my hand and said, ‘Welcome aboard. Anybody willing to sacrifice their life for the Girl Scouts is my kind of guy,’ and I got the job.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-announcer-rick-rizzs-is-living-his-dream-and-it-shows/

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
If I didn't mess up checking for it - the last time the M's were 20 games over .500 was August 24th, 2007.

The M's beat the Rangers 4-2 to go to 73-53.
Still top of his game Ichiro went 3-5.
Jose Vidro was the DH
Raul Ibanez was 3-4 when he got subbed out for Adam Jones. I think it might have been defense related. Maybe.
A version of Felix so young that it makes me wistful got the win, striking out 7 over 6 innings.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is there a stat on games won on a walk off hit while the roof is in the act of closing? Because Mitch did that and it is special to me.

Super glad I rearranged my workday around going to see this game.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Has there been any further word about Iwakuma? I know I've seen him in the Ms' dugout every so often, so I assume he's still rehabbing. He's the guy that got me into this team and I want to see him pitch again someday.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The most recent Iwakuma news I can see is from 10 days ago and it said he's still working his way back and will start in AAA when he's healthy again.

I would like them to bring him back up for a proper send off, since he did through a no hitter a couple of years ago.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What’s a good mariners podcast beside the one Dipoto is on?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What’s a good mariners podcast beside the one Dipoto is on?

This is a good topic that I am also interested in.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think I saw Divish say somewhere not to expect Iwakuma until post all star break. I know he's been throwing but has had to get shut down because his shoulder gets sore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm hyped for Turn Ahead the Clock night. Then James Paxton and His Eagle Friend Bobblehead day the next day.

• Locked thread