Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephMullen
Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

DizzyBum posted:

Oh, Australia. :( I'm in the US so that won't work for me! But I'll start browsing local stores and see if I can't find something that would work. I just need simple, sturdy and L-shaped.

I *thought* those organizers looked like something I saw at Ikea. I might pick up a pair on my next visit.

I would assume there would have to be something - going to any of the normal places here that sell furniture has heaps of them.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

iajanus posted:

I would assume there would have to be something - going to any of the normal places here that sell furniture has heaps of them.

I did end up finding something actually! I have to wait to order it but it's just the right size and shape.

Not gonna lie - for some reason it's really weird seeing one of my posts on someone else's monitor.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Equally weird is no tissues or hand lotion

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

I did end up finding something actually! I have to wait to order it but it's just the right size and shape.

Nice! What did you get?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The analog clock being positioned so that it is directly adjacent to the clock in the taskbar is a nice touch.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
It's somewhere between 3:24 and 3:29PM in that photo.

How can you live like that JosephMullen?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Budgie posted:

It's somewhere between 3:24 and 3:29PM in that photo.

How can you live like that JosephMullen?

It’s 3:24 in his dark cave because windows very likely is using network time.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Welcome to my goon hovel!

Bonus :nms: :nms: :barf: :barf: :nms: :nms: images below.
Disclaimer: I wasn't responsible for their current state and I can't afford to just get something new. *New keyboard stares accusingly at me as "priorities..." whispered in a dril-like voice echoes through my mind.*

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that’s the stuff.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sure why not

work from home mode, that laptop can push a lot of pixels

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Nice yard.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

huhwhat posted:

Disclaimer: I wasn't responsible for their current state and I can't afford to just get something new. *New keyboard stares accusingly at me as "priorities..." whispered in a dril-like voice echoes through my mind.*

Delete this

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Or jack off in a sock instead of your chair, you sick gently caress.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Any recommendations for under desk cable management? I have a bunch of power adapters coming up from a UPS to devices on my desk and right now everything looks pretty messy.

Also, the desk is not wide at all, so an IKEA Signum would come out of the sides so that's out of the picture.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BoyBlunder posted:

Any recommendations for under desk cable management? I have a bunch of power adapters coming up from a UPS to devices on my desk and right now everything looks pretty messy.

Also, the desk is not wide at all, so an IKEA Signum would come out of the sides so that's out of the picture.

you can put the feet on the signum whereever, just cut it to length? It's really good

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

huhwhat posted:

Amazon Prime?Ooh La la.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

iajanus posted:

Nice! What did you get?

Ordering this today: Ashley 60" Lobink

I found it on Ashley's website last week for $275, and then it jumped up to $385 today. Got freaked out for a minute since I wasn't planning on spending that much on a desk... Then I remembered that other websites exist, so I did a quick search and found it on Amazon for $238! Also free Prime shipping!

The only downside is the brown is going to clash with the white Ikea add-on drawers, but I can mitigate that with something. Maybe some dark contact paper.

BoyBlunder posted:

I'd like to get some ideas on this as well.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

Cable tie mounts. They're little sticky-backed plastic squares that you can stick wherever and gives you a place to zip tie or Velcro wrap cables to.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

plester1 posted:

Cable tie mounts. They're little sticky-backed plastic squares that you can stick wherever and gives you a place to zip tie or Velcro wrap cables to.

Thanks, this should be exactly what I need. I've got a couple spools of velcro ties just waiting to be used.

Amazon link for a 100-pack: https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Backed-Mounts-Nova-Supply-Professional-Grade/dp/B06XNBS6TG/

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I used similar to these under my desk. All the way to the back edge, screwed to the bottom so the 'fingers' are pointed down. Think I used 4 total along a 6' section of desk. For cables that are way too long I did some doubling back inside the channel

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BoyBlunder posted:

What I have seen several people do is get a piece of vinyl gutter and mount it under the back of the desk. Just throw all your power strips, cables, etc right in there. It is such a cheap and easy solution I am kinda amazed I never thought of it before.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Ordering this today: Ashley 60" Lobink

I found it on Ashley's website last week for $275, and then it jumped up to $385 today. Got freaked out for a minute since I wasn't planning on spending that much on a desk... Then I remembered that other websites exist, so I did a quick search and found it on Amazon for $238! Also free Prime shipping!

The only downside is the brown is going to clash with the white Ikea add-on drawers, but I can mitigate that with something. Maybe some dark contact paper.

I'd like to get some ideas on this as well.

Can't wait to see the final result, the pictures look awesome! Very sturdy looking.

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

huhwhat posted:

you are sitting on someone else's cumsock dude

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

iajanus posted:

Can't wait to see the final result, the pictures look awesome! Very sturdy looking.

The reviews say no wobble, which is my #1 desk pet peeve. My last desk was a 6' Ikea tabletop and that thing shook like a motherfucker if I so much as nudged it.

I might also pick up a cheap low-pile rug at Target to throw under the desk. I recently replaced my chair casters with hardwood-safe ones, but they work *so well* that I end up sliding around a lot.

Man, I never thought I'd be this excited to buy furniture. It's almost like a form of personal therapy to find a proper place for everything at home, I guess!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Upgraded from 4x27" to 2x27" + 43" 4K

This is just after cleaning the desk and setting everything up, the clutter will be back soon :v:

Old setup just after I moved in to this apartment:

Theoretical Cat
Jan 8, 2016

Wibla posted:

Upgraded from 4x27" to 2x27" + 43" 4K

This is just after cleaning the desk and setting everything up, the clutter will be back soon :v:

Old setup just after I moved in to this apartment:

I'm no multi-monitor expert so beyond reading legal documents, those vertical monitors seem odd to me. Sweet setup though.

What is your typical usage for those vertical ones ?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Theoretical Cat posted:

I'm no multi-monitor expert so beyond reading legal documents, those vertical monitors seem odd to me. Sweet setup though.

code

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Theoretical Cat posted:

Left: Spotify and Discord
Center: "Main content", aka games, surfing, etc etc
Right: Monitoring apps, TS/Mumble, IRC/Jabber

The old 4x27" setup was fine, but I found myself not using the 'outer edges' of the flanking 27"s at all, including the 27" on top, so moving to this setup felt right.

There's also the minor detail that two of the 27"s were U2711 with poo poo AG coating and CCFL backlight that created a lot of heat / used a lot of power. The 43" 4K monitor uses less power than one of the old 27"s it replaced.

That too, but not very often.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nice Rifter.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm assuming theres no post your desktop thread anymore because its 2018. But I was just trying to find a file and I popped in this old backup disc from literally 15 years ago.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

God drat

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That is triggering me

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The good ol' days of computing

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hah, I take a screenshot once a month of my desktop for the past several years. But I had some really old screenshots back from when I was in high school so like 2002-2004ish or whatever. Just a taste:

lmao I was into Penny-Arcade jesus christ kill me

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Always duplicate desktop icons and shortcuts pinned to the taskbar.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
LiveJournal :allears:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm the Norton Protected Recycle Bin

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm the Norton Protected Recycle Bin

Do you feel fat and bloated? Do you ever get the sense that you slow down everyone around you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Wait what, there was a Penny Arcade app that put an icon in your tray? What on earth for?