Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
We moved into a house about a month ago and we have just about moved everything from our apartment. Well I pay my last month of rent and I notice that I was overcharged. Instead of paying like $500 my card said $1100. When I asked they said it was a system error but they couldn't refund me yet as they were going to add it to the security deposit.

Not only is that BS, but when we did the preliminary inspection, they took one look at the carpet and said they would need to replace it from the stains. WELL those stains are from the 8 times we had water leaks from the pipes and they had to tear out the ceiling to fix it.

So those bastards know that it will be easier to take our money if they put it in with the security deposit instead of trying to bill us later and us contesting it.

Not sure what to do in this situation, but all I know is every landlord I've had is scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
landlords are literal parasites infesting our planet, and should be treated as such

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
One time I got most of my deposit back. That was seven years ago and I’m still in shock that company wasn’t completely scandalous. I pretty much expect to get reamed when it comes time to move out.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
How is it trying to contest things? Like if they say we have to pay for the stains but its obvious that it was because of the leaks, would it have to go to court as a he said she said?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

They should've given you a copy of the work order for each time they had to fix the leaks. Hopefully you kept it. And yes you will absolutely have to go to court, landlords are brash assholes and the only thing they understand is threatening to sue.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Every place i've ever lived, when moving out the landlord has been like 'yeah thats normal wear and tear, dont worry about it' and given me my deposit back in full. None has ever asked for a dollar more. I understand my experience may be mostly based on luck but that's across 3 countries, 6 cities in total and 15 years of my life.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
private ownership of land is an affront to god’s Law

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

One of my buddies just leaves his apartments trashed when he moves out because he knows they aren't going to give back the deposit anyway.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Over There posted:

How is it trying to contest things? Like if they say we have to pay for the stains but its obvious that it was because of the leaks, would it have to go to court as a he said she said?

you should probably talk to a lawyer or come up with a machiavellian scheme to deal with your landlord OP.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
If it was the $250 deposit I wouldn't care but the fact that they're holding $700 altogether is dumb as poo poo cause you know they're going to look for everything possible.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

cubicle gangster posted:

Every place i've ever lived, when moving out the landlord has been like 'yeah thats normal wear and tear, dont worry about it' and given me my deposit back in full. None has ever asked for a dollar more. I understand my experience may be mostly based on luck but that's across 3 countries, 6 cities in total and 15 years of my life.

Same, after renting from 7 different places. But anecdotal evidence over the years tells me that women and soyboys are way more likely to be taken advantage of by landlords

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Carpet is wear and tear in most places you can loving ruin it there is gently caress all they can charge you for, lol if its their own house that caused it. Did they use insurance? Thats ins fraud if they dip again. rear end rape your landlord he is a fool. Probably get triple damages ie triple what he unjustly took. Lawyers handle this poo poo all the time with a letter it wont go to court so do that.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Over There posted:

If it was the $250 deposit I wouldn't care but the fact that they're holding $700 altogether is dumb as poo poo cause you know they're going to look for everything possible.

If you did not agree to give them 1100 then this is a fraudulent charge and you should call your bank/card company and report it.

When they give you a bill for damages then you fight it in court.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had a nice lady landlord when I first moved to California. Then my phone died and my parents, not being used to me being on the other end of the country, freaked out and assumed I died in my apartment.

Long story short I come out of the shower bare rear end naked after thinking I heard something fall down outside and she's standing right in the middle of the room. A few screams from both sides later I found out my mom convinced her to check on me.

Awkward as gently caress.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

JEEVES420 posted:

If you did not agree to give them 1100 then this is a fraudulent charge and you should call your bank/card company and report it.

When they give you a bill for damages then you fight it in court.

Unfortunately its a company and they said 1100 was due so I paid it online, and when I asked about why it was higher they said it was a mistake. Then when I said that I wanted it back they said that they couldn't and put it towards the deposit.

Told my dad about it and he's a lawyer so he said he would draft something.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Called my previous complex to ask why they hadn't cashed my final utilities check and they said "oh we just took it out of them remainder of your deposit. You're actually getting 690 back!" I was shocked, because I didn't expect to get to get anything.
We got a check for $6.90.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
if youre moving out. whats stopping you from making every room the bathroom

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

jimmyjams posted:

pretty sure that's slightly above wear and tear

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Total Party Kill fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 13, 2018

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I worked in the apartment industry as a maintenance tech, assistant maintenance manager, and maintenance manager. I was always fair with people but yeah you hear tons of stories about how lovely some places are about nickel and diming tenants.

jimmyjams posted:

I've actually seen this though, and people just trashing the place because they were certain I was gonna screw them over. Self-fulfilling prophecy there because if you do that I absolutely am gonna gently caress you as hard as I possibly can.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

its all nice on rice posted:

Called my previous complex to ask why they hadn't cashed my final utilities check and they said "oh we just took it out of them remainder of your deposit. You're actually getting 690 back!" I was shocked, because I didn't expect to get to get anything.
We got a check for $6.90.

I hope you framed that check.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Over There posted:

Unfortunately its a company and they said 1100 was due so I paid it online, and when I asked about why it was higher they said it was a mistake. Then when I said that I wanted it back they said that they couldn't and put it towards the deposit.

Told my dad about it and he's a lawyer so he said he would draft something.

Wrong move.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DogonCrook posted:

Carpet is wear and tear in most places you can loving ruin it there is gently caress all they can charge you for, lol if its their own house that caused it. Did they use insurance? Thats ins fraud if they dip again. rear end rape your landlord he is a fool. Probably get triple damages ie triple what he unjustly took. Lawyers handle this poo poo all the time with a letter it wont go to court so do that.

Yeah if you're talking a small time private landlord a letter from a lawyer can do wonders. But don't expect that to work with a real property management company that likely has a law firm on retainer.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
guillotine them all

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
More like Land Lizards am I right

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

oh?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's not a wrong move but if they're a sizable company that deals with legal issues in renting a lot (stuff like this, evictions, etc.) they're prolly gonna tell you to take it to court.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the only winning move is to own land

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's not a wrong move but if they're a sizable company that deals with legal issues in renting a lot (stuff like this, evictions, etc.) they're prolly gonna tell you to take it to court.

yeah looks like this company probably has about 50 complexes.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
my apt in grad school was walkable to the law school and catered to grad students so they did everything by the book since half the complex was a lawyer in training chomping at the bit to go to small claims

they were my first and last decent landlord and i miss them terribly.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That’s the part I’m not going to explain to you.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Mozi posted:

the only winning move is to own land

which you technically rent from the govt.

Hell that guy who built a floating island even had Mexico trying to claim the land he made.

edit: NASA is trying to take moon dirt from a lady who got it from Armstrong claiming it's their land.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

I got every penny of my last security deposit back. Clean up after yourself op.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

That’s the part I’m not going to explain to you.

o ok thanks for the participation

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Send a rent check to the amount of "suck my loving balls you parasite"

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Chinatown posted:

guillotine them all

GBS answer to every problem.

Edit: also burritos.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
post about it on /r/legaladvice :D

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Over There posted:

o ok thanks for the participation

No prob, always glad to give meaningful input that nobody listens to and causes more problems.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I'm a landlord, and I always give back the full security deposit minus rent or late fees they owe. I don't quibble about little poo poo, as I know the places aren't spotless to begin with.

A tenant last week said that they had to call a plumber and buy a new stove without telling us, and apparently he thinks that we're just going to give him $350 for it. The funny thing is his first story was that the fridge broke. I'm going over there next week to do an inspection, as I believe he's entirely full of poo poo. He said the "pump" broke on the toilet. I'm pretty familiar with toilets, and I'm pretty sure they don't have pumps unless they are one of those weird ones that push the waste upwards.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
im a landlord. A literal lord of Land. I only let men roomate with women if they're gay

• Locked thread