Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kim Justice posted:

The main interesting thing about E3 was the channels that got blasted with strikes, especially during the Ubi conf for streaming their reactions

Other than that I find it hard to care about any of it

Next week will be blissfully free of streams, reaction and thoughts videos. Channels that are currently pretending to care will go back to reviewing Teddy Boy on the SMS, and all will be well.

Sucks, I liked Ubisoft conference, the new asscreed has me hyped enough to buy Thucydides tome on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

THe combat has been redone apparently. More based on counters and movement. More like uncharted gameplay.
Hopefully it will have the grappling hook from 4 :v:

Honestly UC4 probably had the best gameplay of the series and it was great just running and gunning from bad guys as they shot at you

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

business hammocks posted:

If anyone followed the Cracked youtube channel, Maggie Mae Fish from those quasi-critical media chat shows has struck out on her own as a genuine critic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0nAkXOkMs

Her video on Tim Burton's filmography is also really good. I've never become a patron so fast. I was a fan of hers when she was on the Cracked show Obssessive Pop Culture, or whatever it was called, and its great to see her making these film analyses.

On a very different type of video, has anyone watched anything by Nakey Jakey. His humor is somewhat similar to the irreverent style of videogameDunkey, but applied to a more video essay like format. They have this really strong and infectious feeling of earnestness and genuine love for the subject matter that I don't see super often.

Here's one on video game commercials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFSnBs0ZgE0

And a very different one on the impact Bioshock had on his life and helped him through some difficult times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr0UYNKmrUs

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 13, 2018

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

business hammocks posted:

If anyone followed the Cracked youtube channel, Maggie Mae Fish from those quasi-critical media chat shows has struck out on her own as a genuine critic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0nAkXOkMs

Where did she get the idea that we were supposed to identify with Thanos or think his actions were in any way justified? Yeah, the film explains how he justifies them to himself but that only serves to demonstrate what a monster he is. We’re not meant to see him as a role model.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 13, 2018

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

Where did she get the idea that we were supposed to identify with Thanos or think his actions were in any way justified? Yeah, the film explains how he justifies them to himself but that only serves to demonstrate what a monster he is. We’re not meant to see him as a role model.

As the main character of the film Thanos is the person we have been trained to identify with. Its a matter of framing no one really gets to argue with Thanos and win he is shown as "correct" by whats shown in the film, even if hes actuality completely wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

It seems some critics think that if a piece of media doesn’t explicitly say something is bad and or has the character try to rationalize it, the movie is explicitly endorsing it. Like some people need to have the piece of media scream “this is bad”. Thanos is clearly doing bad and his rationale is bullshit on many fronts, but because the movie didn’t have a lecture on why neo mauthusianism is wrong and they didn’t just make thanos a screaming idiot straw man type, she and others think it endorses thanos. Other than that I think the video is good.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 13, 2018

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
What it dose do is try to make you empathize with Thanos to a comical degree.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dbzfandiego posted:

What it dose do is try to make you empathize with Thanos to a comical degree.

True, I think that’s because marvel movies have been known for having pretty weak or one dimensional villains, and they had been trying to hype this one for a decade. They kinda had to make him fleshed out. I found him interesting though I personally didn’t empathize with him, he was a zealot rear end in a top hat who lied to himself about his motives and just got off to death. The whole Gamora scene was more scary/ sad for her then because she is a victim to a broken psycho who cared for her but still tossed her off a cliff so he could keep the death train up.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 13, 2018

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It felt like it wants you as the audience to concede that while Thanos' methods are bad, he's actually right that overpopulation is an issue - which is ultimately a soft-eugenics, MovieBobbish viewpoint.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bakeneko posted:

She doesn’t say that people are supposed to identify with Thanos—just that some of them will because he participates in a larger pattern of movie dads, some of whom are built to encourage identification.

Did everyone else already know about the Man of Steel promotional website that suggested sermons involving Superman? That’s massively hosed up.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
That scene is where the movie completely lost me it focused more on Thanos and his pain how “hard” it is for him and I’m just in my seat making jack off motions

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This is the big problem with the movie changing Thanos's deal to be more ~understandable~, comics there was no question, he was whipping up a huge megadeath sacrifice in an attempt to please or impress Lady Death.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Wasn't there magical confirmation that Thanos truly loved the daughter he forced into a child fighting ring made up of her own siblings, who he would then murder?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dbzfandiego posted:

That scene is where the movie completely lost me it focused more on Thanos and his pain how “hard” it is for him and I’m just in my seat making jack off motions

I kinda viewed it like that, he does the woe is me poo poo because he doesn’t want to admit he does it for fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CYBEReris posted:

It felt like it wants you as the audience to concede that while Thanos' methods are bad, he's actually right that overpopulation is an issue - which is ultimately a soft-eugenics, MovieBobbish viewpoint.

This wasn't even remotely what the movie said at any point
Nobody in the film treats Thanos's views with even the slightest hint of legitimacy except for Thanos and Thanos's minions.

dbzfandiego posted:

As the main character of the film Thanos is the person we have been trained to identify with. Its a matter of framing no one really gets to argue with Thanos and win he is shown as "correct" by whats shown in the film, even if hes actuality completely wrong.

The problem with this argument is it treats infinite war like a self-contained story, which it isn't, rather than a chapter in a serialized narrative, which it is.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 13, 2018

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Augus posted:

This wasn't even remotely what the movie said at any point
Nobody in the film treats Thanos's views with even the slightest hint of legitimacy except for Thanos and Thanos's minions.

The problem with this argument is it treats infinite war like a self-contained story, which it isn't, rather than a chapter in a serialized narrative, which it is.

I mean the second part isn’t out yet so what are we supposed to do not examine the themes it puts out. I agree with you it’s why I overall enjoyed the film but without the second part it can only stand on its own

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also the movie changing his deal spawned a bunch of idiot pieces on "THE DARK SIDE OF ENVIRONMENTALISM?!?!" which is frankly kind of sickening with how things are going.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Wasn't there magical confirmation that Thanos truly loved the daughter he forced into a child fighting ring made up of her own siblings, who he would then murder?

You can love someone and still utterly fail to do right by them, or do horrible and twisted things in the name of that love.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
EDIT: Never mind

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

The Bee posted:

You can love someone and still utterly fail to do right by them, or do horrible and twisted things in the name of that love.

While that is true generally I don't think that extends to like, running a glatiatorial death match arena full of your own children, and killing the weaker ones.

Or at least that wouldn't be like 'true' love as confirmed by magic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do you all think leopold bloom from nightcrawler is supposed to be a cool dude you empathize with?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nah, I prefer Bialystock.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I mean empathizing with someone isn't reliant on them being a cool dude

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

While that is true generally I don't think that extends to like, running a glatiatorial death match arena full of your own children, and killing the weaker ones.

It was true enough for Thanos which is all that really matters. It made enough sence narratively and there's no good outcome to arguing over the rules of ~~sparkly multicoloured space magic stones~~

Alternatively the skull man was just loving with him the soul stone was in his pocket the entire time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Nah, I prefer Bialystock.

You prefer that fat fat fatty walrus?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Sucks, I liked Ubisoft conference, the new asscreed has me hyped enough to buy Thucydides tome on it.

The new Assassin's Creed is basically just Ubi looking sideways at Bioware and going "... well if you're not gonna do it right anymore." Which I appreciate.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean, given that it's supposed to be a sacrifice, all that "love" needs to mean in this context is "strong attachment to the point that the loss will cause extreme pain." (I assume, I never bothered to see the movie itself.) The magic doesn't need to fit the definition of "love" in the context of what's healthy familial love. Doubly so if some Nazi fucker is allowed to be involved IMO.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

The new Assassin's Creed is basically just Ubi looking sideways at Bioware and going "... well if you're not gonna do it right anymore." Which I appreciate.

Yeah and they have solid foundation and origins was loving great. If you haven’t played it, get it.

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, given that it's supposed to be a sacrifice, all that "love" needs to mean in this context is "strong attachment to the point that the loss will cause extreme pain." (I assume, I never bothered to see the movie itself.) The magic doesn't need to fit the definition of "love" in the context of what's healthy familial love. Doubly so if some Nazi fucker is allowed to be involved IMO.

That’s pretty much it, the whole thing is you have to sacrifice something that means a lot to you. Thanos in his hosed up way cares about Gamora. In his broken mind he legit thinks he is a good daddy. It’s a pretty fun movie overall.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yardbomb posted:

Also the movie changing his deal spawned a bunch of idiot pieces on "THE DARK SIDE OF ENVIRONMENTALISM?!?!" which is frankly kind of sickening with how things are going.
That's especially weird since his thing is essentially anti-environmentalism. His whole argument was that people don't look after the environment and therefore he has to cull them or all the resources would be gone. It's not like he forces people to look after the environment in a sustainable way - he just coldly murders people like a personified climate change disaster.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

His whole argument was that people don't look after the environment and therefore he has to cull them

I mean this is what the right think environmentalists are so it checks out.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysiCqy11tQ

Mike and Jay talk about Hereditary, a neat horror flick. I'm glad we still get films like this.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Yardbomb posted:

This is the big problem with the movie changing Thanos's deal to be more ~understandable~, comics there was no question, he was whipping up a huge megadeath sacrifice in an attempt to please or impress Lady Death.

Kyle went into this topic a bit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

before seeing infinity war i thought the whole "kill half the universe" thing was beyond dumb but the movie did a good job of making you believe thanos thought he was doing it for the greater good. for a movie that was an absolute mess he was the highlight. marvel's really bad about having interesting villains (so is dc but i digress) so it was nice to have someone who's motivation was something beyond "me badguy".

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Groovelord Neato posted:

before seeing infinity war i thought the whole "kill half the universe" thing was beyond dumb but the movie did a good job of making you believe thanos thought he was doing it for the greater good. for a movie that was an absolute mess he was the highlight.

For how many characters they were juggling, I thought they managed to handle it incredibly well and the result wasn't a mess as far as I was concerned. :shrug:

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Yardbomb posted:

It's kind of flabbergasting that germany's still never gotten enough people to go "This is pretty dumb, can we stop", like isn't the reason they can't do swastikas in games because vidyagames aren't covered under artistic expression or something like that and you need that classification to be allowed to portray the straight up nazis?

I'm a few pages late, but I want to weigh in on this for a bit.
It's a bit more complicated than that.

The issue is that artistic expression doesn't necessarily mean jack poo poo if you're passively or indirectly inciting people to commit genocide with the subject of your art. Incitement towards violent action and the deliberate persecution of a specific group of people is a crime. Video game developers are putting bmps and jpegs of Nazi flags on the computers of German citizens.
The iconography of the Nazi regime is linked to shows of support for said regime. The regime is linked to the crimes it has perpetrated. Publicly displaying Nazi iconography or using its symbols expresses your approval of these things and as such is an issue.
It's more about the explicit symbolic nature of flags and iconography.
The same reason people can get in trouble all across the world for burning a flag. It's just a dumb piece of coloured cloth, but due to its symbolic value it's kind of an issue when you go around burning the flag of your country and it's a big political statement that implies that you want to bring harm to a nation.

And video games are just too young a medium to get away with some of this and nobody really wants to bat for them that much when there's simpler solutions.

The symbology and propaganda of the Nazi regime being displayed in non-historic context, where it would have the implicit context of being referenced as an object of critical study, can communicate someones approval of the regime and its policies. And if you want to portray Nazi Germany with any accuracy you sort of have to include their slogans, their propaganda, their entire shtick.

Now imagine you're a video game developer, you made a WW2 shooter and are now preparing for a European release and you get a call from the freaking "Bundesprüfstelle für Jugendgefährdende Medien", and they are raising some issues and want to talk to you about very specific legislature that you don't know about. This really isn't any of your business and you don't really care.

Do you, the game developer choose to:
A) Just remove the Swastiska bmps from the game and replace them with the iron cross or whatever else gets you the OK. This takes like 5 minutes. You can keep the colour scheme, I guess. People will get it based on the context.
B) Engage in lengthy and philosophical discussions trying to convince this specific ratings board of a small European nation that their interpretation of your artistic freedoms is flawed, that the display of these symbols in your ficticious display of super mecha Hitler is entirely warranted based on historic context and that German common law should be rewritten to appease foreign video game developers. This will take years of discussing the specific wording of legislature, a lot of debate between lawmakers, it's going to piss off some people, will take a lot of effort and might end up being ultimately fruitless.

I don't think there's much of a question of which choice is more sensible for a game company that just wants to sell their drat video games.

It's not that everyone involved is too stupid to realize that it's a bit silly, but there's, like, laws written in some books and the ratings board has to follow those too. Some of those laws aren't even stupid, despite being strict. And nobody is going to be breaking down your door as soon as anyone suspects a Nazi flag in your temporary internet folder.
But the ratings board doesn't want to have these discussion with the government either. Imagine the shitstorm and unholy fury they would have to deal with if they'd let some Nazi-propaganda bullshit game slip through the cracks and some neo-nazis would use it as a recruitment tool.

So everyone just wants to be safe rather than sorry.

And the most sensible solution is to not bother and just play it super safe.
Everyone still gets what Wolfenstein is about without that one flag.

a cartoon duck posted:

I believe German rating agencies got less strict about this and also started considering artistic expression more in games, or at least professed to last time I cared to check, but also getting games rated so they can be sold on store shelves costs money on the developer's part so they'd rather play it safe than pay the rating fee, come back with a verdict of "nah this isn't cool", modify their game, then pay a rating fee again.

This too.
Sometimes it's a bit arbitrary even.

My favorite example for this is Saints Row 2 in comparison to Saints Row 4. Both are goofy violent GTA-like crime games and the German ratings board gets notoriously fussy about the glorification of violence against humans. They get a list with things that would jack up the rating and in the case of Saints Row 2 the developers just decided to put a giant black box on the offending cutscenes rather than going through the lenghty process of editing them until they get the okay for a lower age rating.
In the case of Saints Row 4, the ratings board just didn't care to even raise a stink, because there is this arbitrary narrative conceit that the hyperviolence that is being displayed in the game is not against real video game humans, but it's being committed against "virtual" real video game humans, since a large part of Saints Row 4 takes place in a simulation. So the ratings board didn't give a gently caress because it's directly implied these are double fake humans and not just fake humans.

In the nineties a lot of Command and Conquer games just pretended that everyone was a Cyborg. The civilians were cyborgs too. All the people in cutscenes? Cyborgs. It's not violence against humans because these people are Cyborgs.
But later Command and Conquers eventually just dropped this.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 13, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

For how many characters they were juggling, I thought they managed to handle it incredibly well and the result wasn't a mess as far as I was concerned. :shrug:

i think they handled it well, it's that even handling it well you end up with a mess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Conal Cochran posted:

Her video on Tim Burton's filmography is also really good. I've never become a patron so fast. I was a fan of hers when she was on the Cracked show Obssessive Pop Culture, or whatever it was called, and its great to see her making these film analyses.

I just watched this and it's good as hell. I'm pasting it into this post so that more people watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inXrIYr2V_U

I too am really impressed with her stuff going this deep and looking this good right out of the gate. It tells me that they must have been holding back A LOT on Cracked for fear of pissing off the audience or pissing off corporate, or corporate was afraid of them alienating somebody.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I honestly don't know what kind of corporate entity ran Cracked until then but whoever is in charge now had to spent a lot of time seeing all sorts of horrifying poo poo because I've recently poked around the site and a lot of their archives are now gone. Given a bunch of the worst offenders are now poking at DSA positions, probably was a Godsend. "Ok a good chunk is now AuntieMeme listicles and somewhat regurgitated op-eds, but we got an actual good video maker instead of a randomly shaking 8-ball and there's no dumbass attempting to make JD Vance for Fark-era internet denziens."

Kunster fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 14, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kunster posted:

I honestly don't know what kind of corporate entity ran Cracked until then but whoever is in charge now had to spent a lot of time seeing all sorts of horrifying poo poo because I've recently poked around the site and a lot of their archives are now gone. Given a bunch of the worst offenders are now poking at DSA positions, probably was a Godsend. "Ok a good chunk is now AuntieMeme listicles and somewhat regurgitated op-eds, but we got an actual good video maker instead of a randomly shaking 8-ball and there's no dumbass attempting to make JD Vance for Fark-era internet denziens."

there new stuff is generic and boring and sometimes really loving awful. I miss the old after hours stuff and seanbaby.

Groovelord Neato posted:

before seeing infinity war i thought the whole "kill half the universe" thing was beyond dumb but the movie did a good job of making you believe thanos thought he was doing it for the greater good. for a movie that was an absolute mess he was the highlight. marvel's really bad about having interesting villains (so is dc but i digress) so it was nice to have someone who's motivation was something beyond "me badguy".

I kinda liked them going with the neo mauthusian bullshit then "i want to gently caress/marry death" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
wrong thread sorry