Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you type via the homerow method?
Yes, it is very helpful
No, I do not
I only type by mashing my face on the keyboard at sheer random
How Goku types
View Results

• Locked thread
EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Do people still do things like putting their fingers on the home row of their keyboard and only moving each finger one key over to hit adjacent keys? Even as I am typing now I'm not following any of those typing principles. My hands are all over the place.
The "intended" way feels way too slow and stiff.

I'm talking about stuff like this, for those who do not know:

Does anybody still type like this? I know I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I absolutely do, i learned how to type with mavis beacon and i learned how to type fast calling people the n word in half life mod multiplayer games

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ydss I tipt wat biter thar wau

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I post exclusively from my phone, via Swype

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
if juustt slazm nmyy diiccck 9on 6ythde kvehys

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was never taught to type that way to begin with so...

sorry OP, just gonna answer Goku, hth

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Yeah I use one keyboard per hand like your diagram suggests

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Do you mean you use different fingers to hit the keys than is taught standard? I'm pretty sure I type the same way as I learned through a touch typing program way back when.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
wtf how can you NOT use home row on a physical keyboard

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i type pretty fast but its my own style or whatever that i made up

theres no correct way

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
nobody taught me how to type. Nobody gave a gently caress.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I actually type real fast, had a test at work for fun, like 110 wpm. But only on a mechanical keyboard...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
this is me treyinh to type using the homerow methrod whicoh acan sucmjk amy frucking balls

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

one of the best programmers i know hunts n pecks haha

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Chinatown posted:

this is me treyinh to type using the homerow methrod whicoh acan sucmjk amy frucking balls

I'm with you, buddy.

No homerow=no shackles for speed or sophistication :coolfish:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I smash my rear end against the kb

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think you can get any real typing speed without using the homerow, or something like it (with alternate keyboard layouts).

Isn't there some lovely flash Versus typing game where we can settle this like gentlemen?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't think you can get any real typing speed without using the homerow, or something like it (with alternate keyboard layouts).

Isn't there some lovely flash Versus typing game where we can settle this like gentlemen?

Correct,I’m the top tier CSR at work now too.

I tried using one of those split weird ergo keyboards and they sucked balls.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blazing Ownager posted:

https://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/

screenshot your scores, and the loser will be beheaded

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I stimulate a dragon dildo to cum on the keys I want to press

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
lol if you can't 100 wpm on a frogpad

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I see something in my crystal ball, hmm... the fastest typists and heroes of the future AI wars will be typing on keyboards using only 2 thumbs, because they learned to type through texting... *slams back into chair* holy poo poo that was unreal

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It's not exactly home row but for the most part it's pretty similar. basically evolved hunt and peck that uses most of my fingers in a similar fashion as homerow. Execpt for my right hand I guess i mostly just use the index and thumb on that one for whatever reason.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

Correct,I’m the top tier CSR at work now too.

I tried using one of those split weird ergo keyboards and they sucked balls.

Amazingly I started using one and can't really get rid of it. I swapped to a regular keyboard for a year or so and I actually started getting some pain in my hand / early carpal signs. Swapped back and I'm fine.

Doesn't really preclude use of the home row though.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Creamed Cormp posted:

come at me and my superior homerow technique :smuggo:

e: lmfao I got owned by the most recent score in my own screenshot :negative:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

World War Mammories posted:

come at me and my superior homerow technique :smuggo:

drat son. I was 84, but I guess that's what I get for really only using half of my right hand.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Nobody ever taught me how to type op

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 14, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
mavis taught me well...

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Blazing Ownager posted:

Quick google around suggests that for jobs that actually care about wpm 50-80 is usually good enough and even for jobs that like need to you be real fast 80-95 is generally the threshold.

so you can certainly get there without home row.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Creamed Cormp posted:

I feel like I can do better if I warmed up first. I know I've gotten up to 140 consistently when really in the groove.

ED: Also if I'm writing from my own mind I type MUCH faster. Reading the incoherent mess of words on typing tests it's easy to mistake stupid things like "Through" instead of "Though" because it makes more sense in the senseless random sentence and is the result of more than one backspace. I honestly probably type way faster writing forum posts on SomethingAwful than I do in any typing test overall.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 14, 2018

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I type pretty fast but I don't use the homerow poo poo. They tried to teach us that in school and it's bullshit.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

berth ell pup posted:

I type pretty fast but I don't use the homerow poo poo. They tried to teach us that in school and it's bullshit.

Take the typing test and see how you stack up.

Home row is all about good finger placement. You might not remember this but there was in age in video games where WASD wasn't the norm, and WASD got adopted for almost the identical reasons the home row did.

Now, what is bullshit is the QWERTY layout. I never stopped using it because I don't want to be incompatible with 99.99% of computers in the world but the turbo nerds are right, QWERTY actually gimps your ability to type. It really should get replaced but nobody wants to change it for the same reason I don't want to adopt it.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
54 wpm no errors. half your speed. good enough for what I need a computer for (shitposting and IRC mostly)

i guess that's not really that fast.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

english isn't my first language though

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Creamed Cormp posted:

english isn't my first language though

Honestly that might be a benefit, random words in order actually takes a second to figure out sometimes out of pure WTF.

I played one facebook typing game with some people once and laughed my rear end off at their terrible mistake of using the internet to pull words. While they censored the obvious offensive ones, the misspelled ones slipped in all the time. Which was funny even when they weren't mispelled swearing like "Mothorfucer"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I use hunt and peck but really REALLY fast.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yes of course because I am not 6

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i just kinda type i never learned how to type in school though i had to learn how to type fast on my own by playing everquest and needing to communicate with group members

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Former DILF posted:

I absolutely do, i learned how to type with mavis beacon and i learned how to type fast calling people the n word in half life mod multiplayer games

This needs to be a one and done goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I can even type like I was taught in school 1 handed if needed. Even if it's my left hand on the right side keys (or my right on the left side keys). I am still using multiple fingers to type.

I literally cannot type in another way.

• Locked thread