Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I'm playing this for the first time and Ganon's trident is the most fun I've had with a moveset in any warriors game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I really, really wish I didn’t have to look up a guide just to know what I need for an A. Some of the KO requirements on later stages seem a bit ridiculously high, such that even if I capture every single keep I get a B because I didn’t stand around and let the enemy spawn more mooks for me to kill. hosed me over twice on the map to unlock the Pegasus boots for Linkle before I got fed up and started looking at a guide to know what’s expected.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bobby Cox posted:

I'm playing this for the first time and Ganon's trident is the most fun I've had with a moveset in any warriors game.

He's up there but I still really love Linkle's bows and boots.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I just played with the ball and chain for the first time since 2014 :allears: I forgot how magical it is

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When's a good time to hit the Twilight adventure maps and/or the ones after it? I just completed all the unlocks on the original map and halfway through the Great Sea map and that took a long time. Most of my characters are level 30-40 (except Link, who's 80 lmao). Seeing that next up as the Master Quest versions of those maps is sapping my will.

I did get Link's level 3 sword out of the MQ map and that's an awesome power boost though! Except the KO requirement for A rank wasn't <=1500 like I've been eyeballing for the longest time. Had to redo the map, angrily.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SettingSun posted:

When's a good time to hit the Twilight adventure maps and/or the ones after it? I just completed all the unlocks on the original map and halfway through the Great Sea map and that took a long time. Most of my characters are level 30-40 (except Link, who's 80 lmao). Seeing that next up as the Master Quest versions of those maps is sapping my will.

I did get Link's level 3 sword out of the MQ map and that's an awesome power boost though! Except the KO requirement for A rank wasn't <=1500 like I've been eyeballing for the longest time. Had to redo the map, angrily.

I am doing the Twilight Maps right now at that same point, but with highest level being in the 70s for Link and Linkle, with Zelda at 51. Not having any issues, even when I have to use a level 32 Midna for a map she mandatory to use.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SettingSun posted:

You can start digging into them whenever. Most of the starting levels are pretty easy, especially if you rely on one beefy character to cheese everything (thanks, Shiek!)

And then just hop back and forth between them when you get stuck because Zant is level 1 and he’s a hard requirement on this map so now I need to go farm rupees to level him up and I guess I should grab his level 2 weapon and arrrghfggghh

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

It wasn't meant to be, apparently ;(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

It wasn't meant to be, apparently ;(

There's the chance of dlc. Though I suspect first up there would be someone from Xenoblade 2.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They didn't say that who they revealed was the full roster did they?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hasn't every single Smash game had hidden characters that were only discovered once the game launched? If there are any more characters in Smashu, that's probably where they'll be.

Linkle won't be in Smash, feel free to quote me on this

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There may be a Linkle trophy. Not assist trophy, regular trophy.

So, Skull Kid's C3 is basically the best crowd control move in the game, right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bongo Bill posted:

There may be a Linkle trophy. Not assist trophy, regular trophy.

So, Skull Kid's C3 is basically the best crowd control move in the game, right?

Skull kid is really good in general, except that he only knows how to play one note on his ocarina which is annoying as gently caress

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

Hasn't every single Smash game had hidden characters that were only discovered once the game launched? If there are any more characters in Smashu, that's probably where they'll be.

Yeah though usually and traditionally the majority are like Jigglypuff who is unlockable in every game with only a few surprise newcomers. I remember Wolf was the big surprise in Brawl, and Duck Hunt in Sm4sh.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

They didn't say that who they revealed was the full roster did they?

Correct they just said they wouldn't be adding as many new characters as usual.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hah, so I just got twilight midas 5* 4+ weapon and it came with full slots, all the drop/exp pluses, both light and dark plus and I stuck a heart power on it.

Almost everything melts now on the hard maps at level 90.

I've got the locked 10k skill available on another weapon, what does that one do again?

Was thinking I might have to swap something out of my mega weapon if its power level related

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I bought splatoon 2 and hollow knight and I've barely played them because I keep playing this loving game instead! I still have hardly any weapon ranks, except sheik's 4+.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I keep doing the same thing with Hollow Knight. Great game, but if I could just collect a few more Skulltulas...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I want to say everyone in Smash 4 was revealed before launch.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Oxyclean posted:

I want to say everyone in Smash 4 was revealed before launch.

They were.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

They were revealed thanks to a leak. Duck hunt dog was never formally revealed by Nintendo

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zelder posted:

They were revealed thanks to a leak. Duck hunt dog was never formally revealed by Nintendo

... he had his own reveal trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t5DetuBMOY

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

That was posted 2 months after the 3DS release

Besides Duck Hunt they also didn't reveal Dark Pit and a bunch of returning chars (Jigglypuff, ROB, etc).

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Zore already mentioned it but yeah this came out after the 3ds version had launched

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hm, for some reason I thought I remember them being less secretive about the Smash 4 Roster in a similar fashion of them forgoing a subspace analog since it's just something that would get revealed on the internet/youtube. Maybe I'm just mixing it up with them offering most of the roster upfront in the Wii U version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know it not the same as doing the really easy Shiek mission to get her level 4+ harp, but man it feels good going from a level 1 to a level 3 after finishing a few Master Quest maps.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Need some help in Hyrule Warriors. Have I been glitched out of progressing?

I'm on the mission "Battle of the Triforce" and I'm stuck on the "help Zant open the Rockface checkpoint" objective. How do I get to the west area? Zant's not moving from that spot and I've killed all the enemies I can. I am missing something?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Cubivore_ posted:

Need some help in Hyrule Warriors. Have I been glitched out of progressing?

I'm on the mission "Battle of the Triforce" and I'm stuck on the "help Zant open the Rockface checkpoint" objective. How do I get to the west area? Zant's not moving from that spot and I've killed all the enemies I can. I am missing something?

I feel like this happened to me on this or some other mission and what triggered the next part was going near one of the sealed off gates.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is there any need to keep the lv1/2 weapon drops at all once you've unlocked the higher ones?

I find myself keeping the 5* ones but it's a bit choresome to keep doing that rather than selling anything weaker than my current weapon.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

pretty sure the only reason not to sell a weaker weapon is if you want to grab one of its abilities

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kin posted:

Is there any need to keep the lv1/2 weapon drops at all once you've unlocked the higher ones?

I find myself keeping the 5* ones but it's a bit choresome to keep doing that rather than selling anything weaker than my current weapon.

Nope, sell them and watch hundreds of thousands of rupees roll in unless they have a good skill you want to transfer onto your higher rank weapons

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zore posted:

That was posted 2 months after the 3DS release

Besides Duck Hunt they also didn't reveal Dark Pit and a bunch of returning chars (Jigglypuff, ROB, etc).

Wasn't Bowser Jr. also officially revealed post release or maybe just prior to release?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

The Moon Monster posted:

Wasn't Bowser Jr. also officially revealed post release or maybe just prior to release?

Every secret 3DS/U character except Lucina (who was announced before launch to detail her differences as a clone character from Marth) was revealed after the game was released. Smash Ultimate is the only Smash game to reveal multiple secret characters before the game released (because the entire roster except the classics are secret characters in Ultimate).

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Didn't Brawl reveal Snake and Sonic then make them unlockable?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sudden Javelin posted:

Snake was in the very first trailer and yeah he was an unlockable

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

b_d posted:

pretty sure the only reason not to sell a weaker weapon is if you want to grab one of its abilities

This is correct.

You may want to not sell some of the 5k unlock weapon skills because they're all relatively powerful.

3/4k are situational skills

sell anything 1/2k.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

b_d posted:

Is there not some white sword weapon requirement or something for Sultullas in the story mode?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Is there not some white sword weapon requirement or something for Sultullas in the story mode?

The requirements are only by weapon category as far as I've seen. Any Hylian sword will do regardless of rank when the game asks for one. Also, despite it having the same moveset, the Master Sword doesnt count as a Hylian Sword.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Ah, true, but they were guest characters, weren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skills that aren't sealed:
  • Darkness+
  • Light+
  • Fire+
  • Water+
  • Lightning+
  • EXP+
  • Materials+
  • Food+
  • Rupees+
  • Slots+
  • Stars+
  • Strong Attack+
  • Strong Attack II+
  • Strong Attack III+
  • Strong Attack IV+
  • Strong Attack V+
The ones that increase drop rate and quality have obvious utility. If you've got a favorite workhorse move, a skill that boosts it is good to have. Water+ extends the duration of the water element's damage-over-time effect, which interrupts enemies when they might otherwise be using a combo that exposes their weak point gauge, so it's probably not a good one to bring.

1000-KO skills:
  • Arrows+
  • Bombs+
  • Boomerang+
  • Health+
  • Hookshot+
  • Special+
None of these are worth the effort except, very situationally, maybe Special+.

2000-KO skills:
  • VS Beast (effective against Manhandla, Gohma, The Imprisoned, and Helmaroc King)
  • VS Dragon (effective against King Dodongo, Argorok, Volga, Lizalfos, Dinolfos, Aerolfos, and Fiery Aerolfos
  • VS Ganon (effective against Ganon, Phantom Ganon, and Yuga, but bizarrely not Ganondorf)
  • VS Legend (effective against Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Young Link, Linkle, Toon Link, Toon Zelda, and Ravio, but apparently not Tetra for some reason)
  • VS Sea (effective against Toon Link, Toon Zelda, King Daphnes, Medli, Marin, and Toon Zelda)
  • VS Skyward (effective against Impa, Fi, and Ghirahim)
  • VS Soldier (effective against Hylian Captain, Goron Captain, Moblin, Shield Moblin, Big Blin, and Stone Blin)
  • VS Sorceress (effective against Lana and Cia)
  • VS Termina (effective against Young Link, Tingle, and Skull Kid)
  • VS Time (effective against Darunia, Ruto, Sheik, Young Link, and for some reason Tingle)
  • VS Twilight (effective against Midna, Agitha, Zant, and Twili Midna)
  • VS Undead (effective against Wizzro, Big Poe, Icy Big Poe, Gibdo, ReDead Knight, Darknut, and Stalmaster)
A few of these might come in handy if there's a particular type of enemy you know you'll be battling and have the room for it.

3000-KO skills:
  • Adversity (more damage at low health)
  • Compatriot (more damage when you control more keeps)
  • Defenseless (increases damage, but blocking doesn't prevent damage)
  • No Healing (increases damage, but hearts don't do much)
  • One-Hit Kill (you can take out some enemies in one hit, but it doesn't say which)
  • Regen (take more damage, but regain health over time)
  • Sturdy Feet (take more damage, but gain immunity to knockback)
Although they changed how damage scoring works in Definitive Edition (it's now based on a percentage of your max health rather than a fixed amount, so heart containers actually do something for you), it's still generally desirable to minimize taking damage altogether, so No Healing is very useful and Regen is worse than an empty slot.

4000-KO skills:
  • Finishing Blow+
  • Focus Spirit+
  • Hasty Attacks
  • Heart-Strong
  • Regular Attack+
  • Special Attack+
All of these are pretty good.

5000-KO skills:
  • Heart Power
It's free damage with no downside. Put it on everything.

If you're not seeing some of these drop, you need more skulltulas. When you have 90, all these skills can drop. There's a progress bar on the skulltula-related medals in the medals list.