Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

:yosbutt: :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Still gonna play it, can't wait to make people's already terrible time at the volcano even worse by attacking them with rowboat gunpowder bombs

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Babe Magnet posted:

Still gonna play it, can't wait to make people's already terrible time at the volcano even worse by attacking them with rowboat gunpowder bombs

lol didn't even consider gunpowder rowboat bombs

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

No Mods No Masters posted:

This game has been, continues to be, and will be, the rear end of an rear end

idk sounds pretty good to me

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Barent posted:

idk sounds pretty good to me

I know right? Who doesn't like rear end?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I bought some game pass time to play this and state of decay, does SiT really have no tutorial or instructions outside of the intro "eat banana get quest"? I managed to bumble my way around and complete a couple quests but my impression from playing solo* is that treasure maps = fun, skeleton kills = repetitive, chicken delivery = kill me. Is there something else to do?

*the first time I logged in after selecting galleon the ship was nowhere to be found because, I think, the other players had left already. And the game never explained the mermaids.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zachack posted:

I bought some game pass time to play this and state of decay, does SiT really have no tutorial or instructions outside of the intro "eat banana get quest"? I managed to bumble my way around and complete a couple quests but my impression from playing solo* is that treasure maps = fun, skeleton kills = repetitive, chicken delivery = kill me. Is there something else to do?

*the first time I logged in after selecting galleon the ship was nowhere to be found because, I think, the other players had left already. And the game never explained the mermaids.

That's pretty accurate. Most of the fun in the game is the PVP, not the repetitive radiant quests.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Zachack posted:

I mean the game is fairly simple in terms of its complexity.

There's like what, 4 interactions on a ship? 1) turn the wheel, 2) raise/lower sails, 3) Angle sails left/right, 4) raise/lower the anchor.

But, being able to sail a sloop well enough to escape from one of our galleons, or sail another galleon well enough to stand a chance against us in combat is actually pretty difficult.

In terms of the gameplay anything you did alone will be boring and suck because single player in a multiplayer game is awful.

The public matchmaking is a bit hosed because basically rare started off with no private crews i.e. You either picked a solo sloop, a duo sloop, a three person galleon, or a four person galleon and empty slots were filled with pubbies. As people wanted to be able to start sailing and have their friends join them later, which wasn't totally unreasonable but also not massively needed in my view, they introduced private crews.

So now the public matchmaking is full of newbies and people too terrible to find friends to play with. In theory there is a public discord and LFG group on xbox but these are full of terrible people too.

The moral of this story is always play with the goons from the goon discord, because while we may be terrible, we are the type of terrible that is sufferable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

At least if the goons are gonna gently caress up, it's out of sheer bloodlust rather than incompetence.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Liquid Communism posted:

At least if the goons are gonna gently caress up, it's out of sheer bloodlust rather than incompetence.

Or both at once which is at least half way there.

In other news there was an interview at E3 on video streams where Rare gave more details, I can find the link if anyone wants to hear the words from the horses mouth, but the short story is:

- Cursed sails will introduce the skeleton ships and cursed cannonballs as well as the brigantine ship, it will have a quest explaining why they have turned up in the Sea of Thieves
- Skeleton ships will be crewed by skeletons and you can board them, shoot them with cannons, even use gunpowder barrels to sink them, design is intended to encourage players to band together
- Cursed cannonballs will be found in the world, you can't buy them you need to find them. They will have a variety of status effects not just one. Effects named include the ballast ball making the ship sink lower in the water (causing mid deck holes to take on water), make the enemy crew dance, cutting out voice comms for the other crew (lol thanks discord).
- The brigantine is described as being a ship "designed for 3 players from the ground up" [not really sure what this entails as it seems like you can basically just make a smaller galleon and say job done]
- Foresaken shores will introduce a new region called Devil's Roar
- The island(s?) in Devil's Roar are geologically unstable, if you sail there it's a deliberate choice, you can't start there. At any moment there can be volcanic eruptions that can drop fire and rocks onto the crew or ships at any time.
- This is why the rowboat is introduced, so you can anchor far from the island and row into range, mentions though it can be used by solo players to move all their loot to an island in one go (so sounds like it's on all ships)

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Kitchner posted:

- The brigantine is described as being a ship "designed for 3 players from the ground up" [not really sure what this entails as it seems like you can basically just make a smaller galleon and say job done]
This and the row boat now please thanks.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
https://www.seaofthieves.com/release-notes

NOTE: This isn't going to be released until tomorrow.

quote:

Ahoy pirates!

Battered and broken by the cannon fire of an entire sea of adversaries, the Hungering One has returned to the depths and can no longer be summoned. Does this mean the waters are safe to sail again? Not for long. She may be the mightiest of her kind, but she is not the only one of her kind. From the next patch, the surface will be breached by others following in her wake. A new age of predators has dawned and things will never be the same again...

For now a different kind of thrilling adventure has arrived! The first of our regular events introduces Skeleton Thrones. Patch 1.1.2 also brings further improvements for our colourblind pirates and multiple fixes for known issues.

quote:

Skeleton Thrones Event – The Skeleton Thrones are the latest addition to the world of Sea of Thieves. These thrones require a good sense of discovery to find, and for some an even steadier aim to reach. There are 5 small Thrones and 5 large Thrones, the small requiring just one pirate to sit on, but the larger requiring pirates to be sat on it from more than one crew. Look high, look low, and look within…

Bilge Rat Progression Screen - Bilge Rats now have their own dedicated progression screen! This information can be found on the front page of the progression screen via the [Menu] (controller) or [Tab] (keyboard) buttons. Chart your progress through the Skeleton Thrones event on this screen, not to mention getting some important clues as to the location of these elusive thrones.

Bilge Rat Doubloons – The Bilge Rats trade in their own currency, they don’t have time for gold or any of that official stuff. Each Commendation in the progress screen details the amount of Bilge Rat Doubloons it unlocks with a total of 100 Doubloons available through the Skeleton Thrones event.

Bilge Rat Cosmetics – Spend your Bilge Rat Doubloons on exclusive time-limited items too! You have until the 26th of June to purchase the Bone Crusher Hat, Jacket and Dress – priced at 20 Doubloons per item.

Bilge Rat Trading – If you’re feeling a thirst for a little extra gold in ye’ pocket or fancy some Reputation in any of the three Trading Companies, the Bilge Rats can also pull a few strings and allow you to trade your Doubloons towards a bit of progress. These latter progression items will be a permanent part of the Bilge Rat shop and aren’t time limited, so make your choice wisely!

Bilge Rat Titles – Completing five of the smaller Skeleton Thrones will unlock a unique Pirate Title, and finding all ten will unlock a unique Pirate Title. These titles will unlock straight into your Vanity Chest for maximum bragging rights.

quote:

Colour Blind Accessibility - Filters can now be applied from within settings to assist with red-green and blue-yellow colour blind pirates.

Merrick's Shanty - Merrick's shanty has been added to the list of playable shanties.

Sailor Drum - The Sailor Drum has been given to all players. Find it in the second page of your item radial.

Sailor Speaking Trumpet - The Sailor Speaking Trumpet has been given to all players. Find it in the second page of your item radial.

quote:

Drum selection - Admiral, Bilge Rat, Sea Dog and Sovereign drums have been added to the Equipment Shops on their respective Outposts!

Speaking trumpet selection - Admiral, Bilge Rat, Sea Dog and Sovereign speaking trumpets have been added to the Equipment Shops on their respective Outposts!

Rainbow flag - A new flag has been added to all pirates' flag inventory! Article 1 of the Pirate Code states that, "Everyone is welcome on the Sea of Thieves regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, nationality or creed."

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Naturally since announcing their intention to add a rainbow flag into the game, people online have reacted with calm and dignified responses:

quote:

Tying the flag to this statement ""Everyone is welcome on the Sea of Thieves regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, nationality or creed.""

makes it obvious the flag stands for something other than just being a colored flag....

I have no problem with it being added in, but does that mean that eventually others races, sexualities, nationalities, etc will get their own flags as well or just this one?

quote:

I agree myself it just opened the door for people of all walks of life asking for flags.

as @khaleesibot said ""Everyone is welcome on the Sea of Thieves regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, nationality or creed.""

So whats to stop people asking for a cross flag? A muslim flag? An antifa flag? an anti a******n flag?

I just want it all to make sense and the rainbow flag is skirting the line by saying "We intentionally let the community decide what the flags mean."

I'm not getting into a heated debate again, I excited for the new changes and new things to do (albeit the forced multi crews again) not all voices are heard and in the end Rare does what they want no sense fighting it anymore.

quote:

@khaleesibot as long as Crred allows those to request and get implemented flags that denominate them as well.

As was mentioned in the large thread, a white flag with the fish symbol on it, a Muslim flag for those of that creed and so forth.

This is a touchy subject and NOT including others can lead to a huge PR backlash if not handled correctl

quote:

I have no tolerance for people that brag about their privacy in a game and unquestioned.
KEEP YOUR PRIVATE OPINION FOR YOURSELF. THIS IS JUST A GAME AND NO POLITICAL STAGE!

quote:

Holy s**t, everyone is f******g out about the rainbow flag. Before any of you start being a******s about it, look up mateolage. It was a thing among pirates, and if you feel offended, just remember what you all tend to say when anyone b*****s about being attacked when they just wanted to do voyages, ITS A PIRATE GAME.

quote:

With the addition of the new flag colors I feel as though players might accuse others of hate crimes for attacking a ship that has the rainbow flag equipped.

Someone replied with:

quote:

@pliskon g******n right. Every last one

That not being enough followed up with:

quote:

@pliskon g******n right. Sinking every last one I see.

He replies to someone else, who's claiming choosing to put a rainbow flag in the game is somehow controversial, saying:

quote:

@gloog it’s B******t bro. I want a African flag now. Since we all matter

lol as if he's black and not an angry white right wing christian american

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Almost makes me want to reinstall and join up with a goon crew to cut a rainbow-flagged swath of destruction across the sea.

But I think I will be content to enjoy reading about others doing so.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If flying the rainbow flag makes pubbies angry, it is nearly mandatory.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Liquid Communism posted:

As is playing The Village People from the speaking trumpet as we descend on them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"In The Navy" in particular

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Liquid Communism posted:

No nearly about it.

The ship should be crewed by topless men only, a bit like that steel mill scene from the Simpsons.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Lol I got told off by a Rare employee for being "disrespectful" by pointing out that the people complaining about the flag are likely all intolerant Americans wondering why no one else is bothered but them about a rainbow flag.

This is in the same theread as a guy who genuinely posted "I play this game to be a pirate not to support gay rights movements"

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Cronch XD

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't like this focus on one-time reward pve events that require a second crew to do, it was impossible to find anyone for the megalodon after the first week and I rather be sinking anyone I come across instead of trying to convince them to be the required extra body to start the event.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't like this focus on one-time reward pve events that require a second crew to do, it was impossible to find anyone for the megalodon after the first week and I rather be sinking anyone I come across instead of trying to convince them to be the required extra body to start the event.

To be fair I think the new event is a good balance.

There are ten thrones, 5 that require only one person and 5 that require at least 5 people.

The rewards are:
- Chance to buy a hat, jacket, and dress (20 dubloons each)
- Title for sitting on 5 thrones
- Title for sitting on 10 thrones

You earn 100 dubloons by doing everything, so let's assume 10 per throne.

If you only work on your own, you sit on 5 thrones, get a title, and can buy the hat and the jacket/dress with 10 dubloons left over.

If you work with others, you get to buy all the cosmetic items (but most people wouldn't want this), you get a different (better?) title, and you get 40 dubloons left over (60 if you don't buy all cosmetic items).

Seems to me that you actually get most of the rewards on your own, you just get EXTRA rewards by working together.

I guess it would have been like if there were two meg quests, one you do on your own and one with a bigger crew, and the latter had slightly better rewards, but no matter what you did you got a drum, speakerhorn, and a title.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Imagine a goon fleet of 5 Galleons simultaneously cronching on the dick-shaped-fruit making slurping sounds into the mic, flying the rainbow colors and blaring "In The Navy" by The Village People whilst bombarding and boarding the only remaining pleb sloop (whom also happens to be an intolerant American) lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

As is playing The Village People from the speaking trumpet as we descend on them.

If you meant "In the Navy" then this game is finally good.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If you meant "In the Navy" then this game is finally good.

read the post right after the post you quoted. the very next post.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sea of Tears forum posted:

O.k... RARE has made a call here... Fair enough... are you going to continue with non-game related content that is irrelevant to the context of the game... I paid to play pirates not politics... I need to know if I need to move on and find another game for my family and friends to enjoy without controversial issues... Again asking for A statement from a RARE employee... Thank you

Am I the only one who is tired of this liberal society destroying our country? Why do we have to let it enter our games too? GET RID OF THE RAINBOW FLAG!!! their is no reason to support g**s in a pirate game or any other games for that reason. This is one of my favorite games for many reasons, so please don't ruin it.

Hey, everyone. Good evening. Since Rare have jumped into sexual identity politics, I figure they want us openly discussing sexual preference.

I'm happily taken by a gorgeous female. I'm a male.

Basically by adding one flag they've breathed new life into this game for us.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

real shame we can't name ships, really want to sink pubbies with the Gay Agenda

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the good ship PS I'm Gay

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Can confirm immediately began flying rainbow flag

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The new event is amazing for helping to double cross pubbies. We lured a bunch to an island for a throne we needed and I had to put up with an obnoxious high schooler who accused us all of being commies. Once we all had it, we told the pubbies to all get together for a group photo while the rest of our crew set up explosives in their ship. As the last of them finally fumbled onto the throne and sat down, I shot and slashed all of them down while yelling "I'M GAY FOR MAO" as their ship went up in flames before them. 10/10, hope future events are like this too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I get accused of being a commie all the time for some reason. :thunk:

Jokes on them, red coat red scare is go.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Nine of Eight posted:

The new event is amazing for helping to double cross pubbies. We lured a bunch to an island for a throne we needed and I had to put up with an obnoxious high schooler who accused us all of being commies. Once we all had it, we told the pubbies to all get together for a group photo while the rest of our crew set up explosives in their ship. As the last of them finally fumbled onto the throne and sat down, I shot and slashed all of them down while yelling "I'M GAY FOR MAO" as their ship went up in flames before them. 10/10, hope future events are like this too.

To be fair I think if someone is being an arsehole this isn't so much a double cross as it is delivering retribution for being an arsehole.

The reason I'm actually not that bothered about betraying people for these events is that there's no treasure involved anywhere. Like when we did the thrones yesterday we had two maurarders chests, a seafarers chest, and a hateful skull because we were just finding them as we went along. The other ship had nothing.

I'm sort of torn because on the one hand I'm a firm believer that a general rule for this game should be you can't earn a reward that isn't able to be stolen from you. This is what gives a reason for PvP because there's no "safe" option to just earn gold that's safe from being plundered. This event, and to an extent the Meg, go against that because after you're done there's no need to sail back to an outpost.

That being said, I am not really against these events existing to balance out the usual full PvP gameplay that goes on. It is refreshingly different to not be slaughtering your way through every ship you see and it was fun for a while getting those thrones.

I think my problem is the events last too long. I know they want to give everyone a chance to participate but while it's going on at least half of your PvP targets are going to be loot less players trying to cannon themselves onto a wooden chair. By the second week this dies off a little bit I guess, but that is the other problem: after a week I'd bet 90% of players that will do the challenge will have done it, and the remaining 10% of players will struggle to find someone. It's good you get most the rewards without needing someone this time, but if youre a super casual or new player and you try to do it toward the end of the last week it leaves a bit of a bad taste in your mouth.

Finally, on a seperate note, lol at the ongoing reactions to the rainbow flag. One guy on the official forums said since introducing the rainbow flag the devs clearly don't care about Americans until he can fly an American flag and his "don't tread on me" flag.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Oh I forgot to say Rare are introducing the Pioneer programme again for beta testers. If you were invited you should have got an email but the sign up window is super super short.

Once you sign up you're bound by an NDA over the beta content you test, so while if your life partner, girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband, or crotch spawn sees you playing it over your shoulder you're fine, but blabbing about it in writing publicly or talking about it while a goon streams is a bad idea.

If you sign up and then opt out, that's a permanent choice too, so don't sign up to check it out and then leave because thats dumb.

If you don't see an email but want to double check because you're sure they would have selected you, then log onto the official forums and go to your account page. If it shows a pioneer invite you can opt into then you're in

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Got the bright purple sovereign hull and sails and flyin’ that beautiful rainbow flag my ship is majestic.

Man, having your sailing together on a galleon is kind of a win button against pubbies. Got attacked by a couple galleons while we were looking for the solo thrones last night and we just wiped the floor with them.

One of the boats was confused because a couple crewmembers thought we started it- one of the guys kept yelling ‘no! we shot first!’ so we let him die last. Granted, we would have started it, but someone let off a shot right before we got in a perfect position to just wreck them with cannonballs with no retaliation so per rules of engagement we were blameless.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, I don't really understand why they would make events that give no tangible or repeatable reward, especially when the game world is so lowly populated already.
You'll end up like you said with people who bang it out in a boring hour or two and then other people struggle to find someone to help.

If something in this game requires a second crew to help you obtain it it should in some way be able to be stolen by sudden but inevitable betrayal, that's the very core of this game, on the sea with thieves.
Me and my friends who usually play this game are waiting for something interesting to get added before we play again, hoping skeleton ships might be it if they actually have a reward or challenge to them.

What I would of done with the megalodon would have it barf a bunch of chests and skulls to the water's surface after it dies that people would have to rush to get on their ship and avoid being ganked while they do so, but then they would have to fix the bug where you can't pick stuff up in the water or chests that won't float that's been in since release.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've had a lot of issues this week with lag spikes during ship combat. It's happened regularly enough that I've tried avoiding ships where I can, as there's nothing frustrating than your crew lining up all their shots and suddenly one gets kicked to the menu, logs back onto only to get stuck in the brig, and your helmsman froze up so your ship crashes into a rock.

Not a particularly challenging fight for our opponents, there.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What I would of done with the megalodon would have it barf a bunch of chests and skulls to the water's surface after it dies that people would have to rush to get on their ship and avoid being ganked while they do so, but then they would have to fix the bug where you can't pick stuff up in the water or chests that won't float that's been in since release.

This would’ve been amazing

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
As far as I know there isn't a bug where you can't pick up stuff in the water. If you sink a ship their loot floats for a while, and after a set time it floats down and then despawns.

There is a bug where sometimes despawned stuff doesn't disappear though, but if you set it so the loot never despawned i think it would be fine.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think...I think I finally get this game.

Crew of 3 on a galleon tonight, dinked around with some voyages just to grind up some reputation for myself and a friend who've been lagging behind. We finish up, are about to call it a night, before we throw caution to the wind and take a pass at a skull outpost event. Run into an enemy galleon, and between our peppering it and a frustrated sloop losing all composure and ramming the enemy galleon, our foes found themselves low on supplies and still no closer to completing the waves of skeletons. They began to try and shoot themselves onto our ship, right as one of my crewmen abandoned ship and took up shop on a skeleton turret thing. The enemy galleon, under no attack from enemy turrets (at the time), fully commit to the boarding effort, and launch their entire crew of four onto our ship. Skirmishes/respawns aplenty, when my crewmate realized no one was on their ship to repair it. He lit them up on the underside, the ship began to sank, and no one on the enemy galleon could pull away from the fight to save their ship.

Our crew gathers together/respawns, the enemy galleon is no more, and sweet mother of jesus the treasures they left behind. So many skulls, chests, silks, spices, the works. We hastily grabbed everything, threw it on deck (didn't even try to hide it), and hauled rear end to the nearest port, leaving the skull outpost just as a familiar galleon approached from the horizon. We did not even bother trying to clear any waves, but boy oh boy did we pirate the poo poo out of some peeps tonight. drat that was a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Basically by adding one flag they've breathed new life into this game for us.

This is especially hilarious considering Anne Bonny, and Mary Read, two female pirates, who dressed as guys, who fell in love thinking the other one was a guy, only to find out they're both women :v: