Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Update: 10.29.20 - patch is live!

Update: 7.29.20 - 5 million copies sold, more than a year after release, 8 months after winning a poo poo ton of awards, we're getting a free update at the end of october with Boss Rush, Boss Select from Idol, new Shinobi fashion, and online messages/ghosts!

https://blog.activision.com/sekiro/2020-07/Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice-Free-Update

Update: 4.19.19 - holy hot shinobi nights! it's been pretty much an entire MONTH since this game came out, and it seems like we're past the rough and tumble early days. you all have made this thread so good! I think we can lighten up on spoilertags at this point (use them at your own discretion) since it looks like most of the shinoobies that are coming to this thread in search of help are getting what they need. I think we're on autopilot folks. Thanks for being the best bloody ninja crew on the internet!

:siren: please see second post for combat tips and goon related poo poo :siren: :chef:

Oxxidation posted:

sekiro strategy guide:

quote:

The 18 Precepts

1. Consider: there is no such thing as a sword.

2. Your stance must be wide. You must not be spare with the fluidity of your wrists or shoulders. You must have grip on the handle that is loose and unstrained. I heard it said you must be tender with your sword grip, as though with a lover. This is patently false. A sword is not your lover. It is a hideous tool for separating men from their vital fluids.

3. Going onwards, you must adjust hands as needed, do not keep the blade close to your body, keep your breathing steady. This is the life cut. You must watch your footwork. Your feet must be controlled whether planted on fire, air, water, or earth in equal measure.

4. Breathing is very important! Is the violent breath of life in you not hot? Exhale! Exult!

5. You must strive for attachment-non-attachment when cutting. Your cut must be sticky and resolute. A weak, listless cut is a despicable thing. But you must also not cling to your action, or its result. Clinging is the great error of men. A man who strikes without thought of his action can cut God.

6. To cut properly, you must continually self-annihilate when cutting. Your hand must become a hand that is cutting, your body a body that is cutting, your mind, a mind that is cutting. You must instantaneously destroy your fake pre-present self. It is a useless hanger on.

7. A brain is useful only up until the point when you are faced with your enemy. Then it is useless. The only truly useful thing in this cursed world is will. You must suffuse your worthless body with its terrible heat. You must be so hot that even if your enemy should strike your head off, you shall continue to decapitate ten more men. Your boiling blood must spring forth from your neck and mutilate the survivors!

8. You must never make ‘multiple’ cuts. Each must be singular in its beauty, no matter how many precede it. You must make your enemies weep with admiration, and likewise should your head be shorn off by such an object of beauty, you must do your best to shed tears of respect.

9. When decapitating an enemy, it is severe impoliteness to use more than one blow.

10. A man who finds pleasure in the result of cutting is the most hateful, crawling creature there is. A man who finds pleasure in the act of cutting is an artisan.

11. Man always strives to cut man. Therefore he who draws his sword the fastest is the survivor. To pre-empt this, you must live, eat, and poo poo as a person who has their sword drawn. It doesn’t matter whether your blade, in actuality, is always out of its sheathe, though you will look like an idiot if it is.

12. Consider: The undefeated swordsman must be exceptionally poor.

13. The weak swordsman reserves his sword strokes. He clings excessively to his blade. His footwork is unsteady. His grip is too hard and he is afraid to crack the earth with his step. He has a shallow and wandering gaze, his tongue is sluggish and pale. He refuses to exhale the hot breath of the Flame Immortal.

14. The weak swordsman clings to victory. He thinks of his life, his obligations, the outcome of the battle, his hatred for his opponent, his training, his pride in his mastery. By doing so, he is an imperfect vessel for the terrible fires of Will. He will surely crack. He will not laugh uproariously if he is cleft in two by his opponent’s blade. When his sword is shattered, his hands will be too reserved to tear his enemies’ flesh.

15. The weak swordsman strikes his enemy down and thinks his task done. He relishes in victory. He casts away his sword and returns to his lover. Little does he know his single cut will encircle the world five times and strike him down fifty-fold.

16. The weak swordsman clings to his instrument. It is better you have a sword, but death must lie under your fingernails, if need be. Learn death with your elbows, death with your knees, and death with your thumbs and fingertips. It is said death with the tongue is useful, but I find words too soft an instrument to smash a man’s skull.

17. In manners of terrain, you must learn to cut yourself from it. You must cut even your footprints from it, if need be. Have complete awareness of each crawling thing and each precious flower, each blade of sweet grass and each clod of bitter earth, each beating heart and each being that thrums with love, hope, and admiration. Only then are you qualified to be their annihilator.

18. Excess heat and excess coldness are undesirable. Learn to read the weather.

I hope that by reading this guide, you will be thoroughly encouraged to become a sculptor.

-----

Easy Allies review, light early game spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-xeYJZpH4Y

:siren: GAME IS OUT! release chat starts here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860077&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=45

:sludgepal:

Q&A

- "I'm new to this game/series/developer, is there anything I should know before jumping on board or starting a new game?"

Cardiovorax posted:

After playing this game for a few hours now, I have to say so far that it plays exactly how I thought it would based on what I read about it nearly a year ago in OP. I'm not really entirely sure yet if I really like it, but to anyone who's on the fence about the game but really finds the OP's description of it appealing, I can least say: buy it, that's exactly what you'll be getting.

- "Sekiro good? Should buy?"

- "I'm trying to figure out if I should wait to buy this game or do it now... I really want to play it because it reminds me of Tenchu, but I'm concerned the dark souls hardness of it will frustrate me. . Is it easier? I just don't want to pay full price if I'm likely to get frustrated and put it away."

quote:

It is literally Tenchu + Bloodborne + MGR

- "has anyone run into any major brick walls? Not like, just getting stuck on a boss, but getting stuck on a boss with nowhere else to go? I keep fearing that's gonna happen, but so far every time I think I've hit a major hurdle I find somewhere else to explore or somewhere to return to take something else on. I guess that's pretty par for the course in Souls games so I don't know why I expected otherwise. But I'm still scared I'm just gonna hit some boss I can't beat with no other way to progress. I guess my brain still isn't used to not having jolly co-op to fall back on if push comes to shove. It kind of makes me play with this fog of intimidation all the time lol."

Basebf555 posted:

I'm one of the posters who was posting very anxiously about the fact that I wouldn't be able to co-op summon in this game and so wouldn't be able to handle the bosses. Well, it's been quite an experience so far, because every new boss encounter has this ominous "this is it, this is as far as I go in this game" feeling to it at first. Well I'm still in the early game but I'm no longer as sure that the game is going to be as impossible to finish as I thought. The rhythm of the game has begun to really click for me, the back and forth exchanges no longer feel chaotic, I feel in control. Took down Lady Butterfly last night and that's a fight that felt impossible when I first attempted it a few days ago(so impossible that I just moved on to other areas).

And I know I"m not very far into the game yet but at this point I already feel like I've got my money's worth out of it. Much like how I played Dark Souls for like 2 months before ever touching Anor Londo.

- "It just told me the game is in Japanese wth should I change this?"

Your Computer posted:

who plays a japanese game set in fantasy japan where you play as a shinobi and talk to samurai but switches the voices to english lol

- "are there tons of centipedes and worms in this game?"

thebardyspoon posted:

If you really don't like centipedes and their gross, gross bodies then I would suggest you avoid this game.

- "From 1 to defiled Amygdala how hard is this game"

Saint Freak posted:

Bloody Crow of Cainhurst riding the defiled hot dog.

- "What's the difficulty like compared to the Souls games? I'm old and fat and don't have the time to fight a boss 1,000 times to learn every little boss tell. Naturally, never got into Bloodborne or Dark Souls. I still like games that offer a challenge though."

Deified Data posted:

Compared to Souls specifically? On a baseline difficulty scale of 1-10 I'd place Souls at about a 6 and Sekiro at a 10.

- "If you quit out in the middle of a level does the game save your location like in Dark Souls?"

quote:

Yup.

- "What is that red symbol? How do I dodge/block _____?"

Gumball Gumption posted:

The red symbol means an attack is unblockable and will either be a lunge, sweep, or grab. You can parry a lunge to knock off their poise. You can also dodge it and follow up to chip at vitality. You can jump over a sweep and press jump again in the air to do an air kick and knock off a ton of poise. If it opens them up to a kill then you can hit the kill from the air and it is cool as hell. You can also kinda dodge around a sweep but it is tough. If it is a grab you'll want to dodge and follow up with an attack.

Another thing you might miss if you don't do the early training, the lower an enemies vitality the longer it takes for their poise to recover.

- "I'm still in the first area, I think. But now I'm in a flashback. Should I be here yet?"

quote:

Sure?

Cowcaster posted:

hello mudda hello fadda here i am at estate hirata

- "HOLY poo poo SEKIRO CAN SWIM?"

quote:

half-wolf into watersports

- "Why does everyone around me have a cold? Am I doing something wrong? I died too much didn't I?"

The Walrus posted:

literally all you need to know about Dragonrot is: it is inevitable, part of the story, but don't cure it unless you have a specific reason to do so.

this should probably go in the OP

- "Is there warping between the 'bonfires'?"

quote:

Yes, Dark Souls 3 Style

- "Okay where's the path that takes me somewhere other than the Ogre, I just spent the last forty-five minutes dying over and over again to an undodgeable grab attack."

quote:

Look for an old lady with a bell before the Ogre

- "I beat the chained ogre and the area after seems to be a dead end. There's a few dudes and a general but it seems to branch out into 2 or 3 other areas but the bridges there have collapsed and I can't see any branch or grapple point. Is it really a dead end for now?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Go forward to the broken bridge, then go down on your left.

- "Where are the firecrackers?"

quote:

Look for the Crow Mob on a mountain before the Ogre

- "Somebody said there's a skill that heals on deathblow but I don't know where it is in the skill tree HELP???"

Your Computer posted:

in addition to what others said, here's an image:

- "Does anyone have a guide or checklist as to how to get all endings? I'm working on the next 2 playthroughs to get the final 2 endings but I'm not sure what I need to do to get them."

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ending discussion in spoilers but vaguely defined If you want the most bosses you'll have to do some snooping on your friends, but obeying leads to two unique bosses for an early end if you're interested.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Beyond "explore", the only way to guarantee this is to tell you a spoiler, but i'll be vague enough that its not revealing too much Codes are up for interpretation

- "This bull is garbage, what the hell am I supposed to do here?"

quote:

always be sprinting, always be parrying

- "any insight :cthulhu: into the religious themes in this game? I'm a little rough on my buddhism"

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty good explainer on the main mythological inspirations for Sekiro's plot - much of it has been covered in this thread already, but it's nice to have it distilled into a single linkable article.

One thing I find interesting about Sekiro is the particular point in history that they set it at. The two major religions in Japan are Shintoism and Buddhism, with a majority of people practicing both to a greater or lesser degree - until the Meiji Restoration of the late nineteenth century, they were treated as a single broad faith ('Shinbutsu-shugo'), if not a perfectly wedded one.

Shintoism is the traditional religion of Japan, dating back several millennia, while Buddhism was imported some time in the sixth century AD and was fully integrated with Shintoism during the Heian period of the 700s. The relative influence of the two halves has waxed and waned over the centuries, but the end of the Sengoku period, when Sekiro is set, was not a good time for Buddhism.

The Tokugawa shogunate was nationalist and isolationist, seeking to reunify a shattered country and defend against the growing spectre of foreign imperialism, and as a foreign attachment to traditional Japanese religion, Buddhism was naturally going to get the cold shoulder. It didn't help that a number of Buddhist sects had used the chaos of the Sengoku era to seize power for themselves with their armies of sōhei (warrior-monks) and ikkō-ikki (irregular religious militias), and has proven worryingly popular with the peasantry as alternatives to the old feudal order (which the Tokugawa shogunate was very keen on reestablishing). It was subjected to tight state controls by the shogunate, and many Buddhist sects' connections to the Asian mainland were severed by the ban on foreign trade. Buddhism did restore its influence over time (to the point where it became enough of a symbol of the shogunate to experience mass persecution during the Meiji Restoration), but the immediate aftermath of the Sengoku period was definitely a low point for it.

I think this all adds some fascinating context to Sekiro's depiction of decayed, warped, and heretical Buddhist practices. The iconic symbol of the game is a Buddha statue with his face twisted in rage (seriously, angle the camera to get a good look at those statues you're praying at) thanks to its sculptor being scarred by decades of bloodshed, and the monks of Senpou mutilated a Chinese dragon (I don't think it's a coincidence that the Divine Dragon has one raggedly-severed arm) in order to take themselves out of the cycle of reincarnation at a terrible price, even voluntarily infesting themselves with centipedes, Shintō symbols of evil and impurity. The best ending even has you embark on a journey to the West with a divine child and the weapon of a monkey king in order to find the divine source of the teachings your land has allowed to decay and stagnate.

ORIGINAL POST

SEKIRO

Expected release date: Q1 2019, probably March like most Miyazaki games. edit; (confirmed March 22, 2019)

Developer: From Software

Publisher: From Software/Activision (usa)

Platforms: PC / PS4 / XB

edit; link to January 19 Game Informer coverage https://www.gameinformer.com/sekiro

A little background desu

So, Feudal Japan games are back it seems. All of a sudden after several decades of being drip fed the occasional ninja/samurai title the market is bursting at the seams with what look to be some of the best sengoku era kill-fests of all time. After years of exile from series like Tenchu, Onimusha, Way of the Samurai, Shinobido....in 2017 we got the long-in-development passion project Ni-Oh, which courageously blew open the gates for the genre and demonstrated that ninja themes could work within the bounds of contemporary gaming trends of the like established by Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Ninja Gaiden. The signs were all there.

Not too long afterwards Sucker Punch announced Ghost of Tsushima, an open world samurai/ninja hybrid game (what looks to be a Japanese version of The Witcher), and in decent fashion Ni-Oh announced its own sequel. But most significantly, Hidetaka Miyazaki, creative dynamo behind nearly a decade's worth of the best action rpgs on the market, announced a pseudo-revival of the Tenchu-esque ninja/samurai format, a blend of Sengoku fantasy/myth and horror themes with brutal Bloodsouls-inspired combat, art direction, level design, revival mechanics, and storytelling techniques.

What am I in for here? Will I die a lot? :hai:

Word is that Sekiro will still be hard as gently caress similar to the Bloodsouls games, but not just for the sake of hardness. It's apparently being designed to encourage vertical exploration (grappling-hook hand!), unorthodox tactics, look-before-you-leap style observation, and creative use of environments. Combat looks like it incorporates everything from trick weapons, God of War style shield blocks in addition to sword parries, Metal Gear Rising evasive leaps, and grappling traversal. There also seems to be a certain amount of item prep involved, similar to Tenchu.

Here is an article on this game's version of Character Progression

Yes, but can i sunbro?

Online functionalities have not exactly been confirmed as of yet, but it does look like Sekiro will be ditching PvP play at least. More to come. edit; Confirmed: no online multiplayer

:siren: UPDATE 10.29.20 :siren: the big patch added online messages and ghosts!

Trailers, etc.

:siren: Trailer :siren:

unnamed 2017 teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWFgvbf_Zu8

E3 2018 reveal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OgoTZXPACo

TGS 2018 trailer (now with more big rear end apes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pri6yzpMCc

no commentary Gamescom 2018 demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0FApee7XMM

I'll leave these bullet points right here and bold some notable stuff (from a translated interview with Miyazaki). And I'll update the thread as more info, pictures and videos become available.

------------------------------------------------------------

• The project began at the end of 2015, after the development of the Bloodborne DLC had ended. They were preparing for a few titles to do after the current DS3 development ends

• The game design began with the keyword of Ninja, with a lot of stimulus coming from the Tenchu series. There was the option to make it a Tenchu game, but Tenchu was originally a series made by many different developers, each with their own characteristics. They thought they would end up imitating them in the end, so they gave up on that.

• Game development and publishing in Japan and Asia will be handled by From, with Activision handling all other regions. Activision gave a lot of advice regarding many things, including game development. To be clear though, game development and final decisions were always in our hands to begin with.

• The subtitle was catch copy for the trailer that I had thought of, for some reason the publisher really liked it, and made it part of the title.

• Shadows refers to the way of the Ninja, and Die Twice hinted at the revive system which is a gameplay feature. In addition, Die Twice also contains the message that players will be doing a lot of dying again.

• The time is set near the end of the Sengoku warring period in Japan. Like all other games before this, it isn’t an actual location, but it is in a high-altitude cold country(Japan was splintered into countries during this time). Begin at the end of the Sengoku era also holds the nuance that the country may be at its end (as Japan will soon be unified). Realism wasn’t something we were too concerned with. As with Dark Souls, it is constructed according to our own interpretation.

The game has a fixed protagonist, but it’s not a linear story-driven game. The story does revolve around the character, but beyond that nothing has changed in our stance to storytelling from the previous games.

• There are three main actions (gameplay features). First off is the grappling hook that lets you move vertically on a 3-dimensional map. Then there is the sword play: the offense and defense of it, and the one-hit kills of the Ninsatsu. The third is “killing cleverly.” The game takes pains to allow for different approaches to killing, from making a ninja-like opening by using the hook to take the high ground.

• Killing cleverly is an important theme. Taking on difficult challenges, and then enjoying the experience of overcoming them. In this game, when you met an enemy you won’t be immediately plunged into battle. The levels are designed to let you observe and think about how to take them on, and you can also “listen in” on enemies who aren’t in combat mode.

• The ninja prosthetics are to support the combat parts of the game: shuriken, firecracker, hidden axe and other variations. Choose a few items before, then choose on-site to use them (probably like Tenchu?)

• It’s an action adventure game, so the protagonist has growth tied to a different method than RPGs

Map design is close to DS1, with a few exceptions, it is a seamlessly connected 3-dimensional map.

• The reason for leaving out online play, was to focus on making the fun of the single-player experience

The revive system consumes resources, being able to come back to life at will at the same location. Killing an enemy who think you are dead is also a tactic. Revives are at the moment, guaranteed once, with additional revives requiring resources. In order to keep death something to be nervous about, the penalty and restrictions are tuned to keep the game at a good pace. You can say that the sharp penalties are there because of the revive system.

• As for the difficulty, this time you can overcome ever harder obstacles than before, with the difficulty based not on how well the actions are performed (player-skill) but aimed to be something that can be done with cleverness and work. At the very least, we do not intend it to be difficult for difficulty’s sake, but we are also not making it easy. :black101:

gently caress. Yes.

pre order bonuses :jerkbag:

RatHat posted:

Oh my god if you pre-order this from Gamestop you get a mini Katana letter opener.

Dont' forget to USE USE SPOILER SPOILER TAGS TAGS

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

important charts and graphs

Eraflure posted:

Effort post regarding skill trees since I've seen a few questions about them. You might find yourself swimming in skill points early on, but the later levels get very expensive and it's worth knowing which skill you should be going for.

Gold = must have
Green = very good skill
Blue = situational, but good
Brown = not bad, but not a priority
Red = either straight up bad or too costly exp wise

I'll try to avoid spoilers like mentions of specific bosses, but I'll tag it as a spoiler just in case.

Shinobi arts

Mid-air combat arts gets very good if you rely heavily on ichimonji or other arts with charge time, as you can charge in mid-air.
Mikiri Counter is extremely useful and I think the only reason why it's not a baseline ability is to let the player ignore it as a challenge. Buy it ASAP and go train with your pal the immortal samurai in the dilapidated temple. The timing is generous, and the effect is very strong. Shinobi eyes is a sizable increase to posture damage.
Whirlwind slash is a cheap combat art unlockable very quickly. It deals chip damage through block, it's reasonably fast and it's fairly effective against groups of enemies, something Wolf struggles with. Not the most damaging or exciting art, but a worthwhile addition to your arsenal.
Shadowrush is a very safe gap closer with unblockable vitality damage. Very strong option for people who don't use a lot of emblems on their prosthetics, but emblem heavy builds might want to go for another art.
Both suppress skills are a fairly marginal improvement, you'll still want to pop a gachin sugar if you're going for a bullshit backstab in the middle of an enemy group.
Run and slide doesn't really do anything.
Vault over is useful if you want to use a ninjutsu in the middle of a fight, but keep in mind divine abduction (and/or living force) also let you backstab an enemy without having to effectively kill it first. Only take that skill if you rely heavily on ninjutsu against tough enemies who can't be spun around with the fans.

Prosthetic arts

Part 1

You could argue all of those are situational since you can beat the game without using prosthetics, but you can't beat the game without using your sword. I'm going to assume you want to make use of them. If not, just ignore most of the tree I guess.
It all depends on which prosthetic you use the most. The shuriken slice is a very fast gapcloser on a very fast and cheap prosthetic, making it fit into any build you want. If you like the axe, grab the axe attack. If you like the umbrella, grab projected force. They all do their job pretty well.
Note that living force is very short lived and best used with a regular, non lazulite vent as the red flames inflict burn. Don't treat it as a free confetti, treat it as a longer and better burn effect. Burning enemies don't regenerate posture for a few seconds, are stunned long enough to wail on them with your flaming sword and also eat a vitality dot effect. Uncharged vent+living weapon R1 will burn most enemies (and you can always apply some oil to the face beforehand against more resistant enemies) and give you a long opening to deal very significant vitality damage. Good opener to get the posture damage going, as posture regenerates slower the lower your HP gets (applies to everyone, including Wolf).
Consider a point in the emblems talent if it gets you another use of your favorite prosthetic. Or just another firecracker. Firecrackers are pretty overpowered.

Part 2

The second part of the tree is mostly underwhelming, with grappling hook being good against several bosses/minibosses, but not much else, and nightjar slash dealing as much damage as a regular R1. I'd rather use the shuriken's Chasing Slice as a much faster gap closer, even considering the emblem cost. Still an option for those who find themselves dodging away from their opponent very often, or maybe if you enjoy running around and plinking away at bosses for 40 minutes. A win is a win!
More healing is fine, but you already get several free healing upgrades (+ lifesteal on deathblows) over the course of the run. I'd rather grab the lifesteal ability from the shinobi tree, or just some more damage/utility. YMMV on this one.

Ashina arts

Ichimonji and double ichi are the combat art most people use, and for good reason. Heals posture, stuns most enemies, the double hit prevents a lot of enemies from counterattacking, mid-air combat arts lets you charge it in midair and creates more openings in a fight... All around a very solid skill and very beginner friendly. Looks boring though. Also less useful when you git gud and start deflecting everything.
Both carps are very marginal increases afaik, but they'll proc so many times during a fight that it doesn't really matter. Good passives.
You can only equip one combat arts, unless you want to micromanage and hard swap arts in the middle of a fight, but ... why. Ashina Cross is worse than other options at everything it does. It's poo poo.

Temple arts

Praying strikes would be great if they dealt a little more posture damage to make up for the lack of vitality damage, but as is, they're mostly useful against mooks and other pushovers you shouldn't have to use combat arts on to begin with. Still a good way to get closer to an enemy without dropping your combo, as praying strikes are very fast and can be seamlessly incorporated into your R1 chains. Also messes with enemies that can easily be interrupted, like Gonichumi.
Exorcism is the exact same as praying strikes, but adds a third, stronger hit you can also charge. This third strike is what makes it a good combat art, as it gives you the posture damage the rest of the combo sorely lacks. Charge it to punish long recoveries, the same way you'd use ichimonji. Exorcism is not the most damaging combat art, but it's one of, if not the most flexible.
Devotion adds 50% duration to your sugar, not much else to say. I personally like to eat one or two ako sugars per boss fight, so it's pretty good value, but that entirely depends on how much sugar you eat.

Senpou kicks are AWESOME. Not only do they look really cool, they also count as a goomba stomp on top of their regular damage, which means they deal a LOT of posture damage if you use them as the enemy goes for a sweeping perilous attack. The windup for the leaping kick also gives you iframes against sweeps (I'm guessing you're treated as airborne during the animation). Think of this combat art as the mikiri counter for sweeps, and once you've rewired your brain to press L1+R1 instead of X, you'll be able to counter anything that isn't a grab.
The landing kick has fairly good tracking, and you can also ignore the windup jump and immediately start the kick if you manually jump and use mid-air combat arts.
You can also knock down certain airborne enemies if you're freakishly good at using this art.

High monk adds a few more kicks and slashes to the senpou art, making it a straight upgrade to a great art. The upgrade is mostly useful if you don't want to roll away from the enemy after landing, and trust me, it's worth the 4 points. The one weakness of this combat art is its last slash, which is slow and can be easily punished, but you can just stop pressing R1 to stop the combo right before that. Amazing tool for posture kills against sweeping enemies.

Both loot skills are fine, adding about as much as the bell, but you already have 2 ways to improve your drops with the balloons and the demon bell. The sen can be nice to have on your first playthrough though.

Mushin arts

Shadowfall is fine, empowered mortal draw is ok if you like the regular one and spiral cloud passage is a joke that costs way too much experience.

Testimonials/Ephemera

veni veni veni posted:

Took a brief break from getting my rear end kicked to do this lol.

Detective No. 27 posted:

A friend of mine sent me a photo of a random mook he killed in Sekiro.

Professor of Cats posted:

e: "I've showed you my gourd, please respond"

a kitten posted:

Oh neat i found a picture of me fighting Long Arm Centipede Sen-Un

Your Computer posted:

:yeah:

also put sad shovel hat samurai in the game

Kild posted:

Speaking of Bloodborne

quote:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Mind you the 2 kanji used for these sort of catch all fighting cocks in japan are 軍( Military) and 鶏 (Chicken)

COMRADES posted:

I dunno if this has been posted already but I haven't seen it and have an art:

Small and Blue posted:

My Sunken Valley experience

Der Shovel posted:

Got into the Abandoned Dungeon. To quote Hellboy...

Your Computer posted:

I had to do a double take when this line of dialogue came up

Victory Position posted:

here is some wild footage of the newest FROM Software game, "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice"

Necrothatcher posted:

Seriously, does this have the best sword combat in a videogame to date? I think it might.

sekiro end boss spoilers

Perestroika posted:

Also, unrelated, have this:
[url]https://i.imgur.com/M5SHHf2.mp4[/url

RatHat posted:

"You shouldn't Puppet big shield bois, they do no damage"

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyGbjKk15U

:siren: SHINOOBI CORNER: more shinobi tips for ninja nooblets :siren: :ninja:

jit bull transpile posted:

Put your TV in game mode. Input lag is death.

Cardiovorax posted:

Input lag is the hesitation of your TV killing you.

Eraflure posted:

Put your brain in game mode

--

Cowcaster posted:

once you have a skill point, you can't lose it

Cardiovorax posted:

It goes up basically quadratically or something like that. Like, if you had a 100 skill points, every point for there on would cost something in the area of 200,000 points or so.

--

Cowcaster posted:

the money buff applies when you vaccuum up the gold, not when you kill the enemy, so you can clear an entire map of enemies, pop the money balloon, and then run through the entire world and hoover up the bonus gold while the bonus is on.

note that this doesn't work with the item drop balloon since that's determined on enemy death.

--

Zaphod42 posted:

Holding left or right will swap straight to the first item, so quick swap to potion

Wish I knew that sooner!

Meme Emulator posted:

I think im gonna swap Up and Square on my controller. Or maybe bind use item to triangle.

World War Mammories posted:

OP suggestion - does it recommend swapping the “use item” and “cycle prosthetic tool” buttons? or at least emphasize rebindable controls. I changed that at the advice of someone itt and I never looked back

--

WaltherFeng posted:

Dying spreads rot. Dont neglect revives, you are just losing out on a chance to escape / kill your target

Firstborn posted:

After some testing, only FINAL ACTUAL DEATH seems to progress Dragonrot. If you avoid using ress, that just means you are rotting faster. I tested this by being killed a bunch of times by the ogre and accepting the death - I woke up with 2 people dragonrotted.

Restarted, and died a bunch of times to the ogre, but used ress, and sometimes just ran back to the bonfire and rested. I got the sculptor rotting like the story suggests, but nothing further. Way more deaths here.

Use the ress.

Augus posted:

It is how the game describes it and when I was keeping (rough) count of my deaths I found that dying and getting sent back to a Buddha Statue would give me dragonrot after 20-25 deaths or so while reviving, disengaging, and retreating back to the statue manually did not seem to contribute to this number at all. Using multiple resurrections between proper deaths also did not seem to have any affect. It was always 20-25 times having the screen go black, the “Death” kanji turn red, and getting forceably sent back to the Buddha Statue.

--

Your Computer posted:

way earlier in the thread someone came with some great advice - whenever you're sitting down at a shrine, spend your leftover sen on spirit emblems. You lose so much on death and you die frequently enough that you might as well spend your pocket change on something useful.

Since following this advice and buying a handful of emblems every time I sit down, I now have hundreds banked. Don't wait until you need them to buy them!

-

Leyburn posted:

It says to hold R2 to use the spinning shuriken, but it just seems to throw it normally.

Oxxidation posted:

you need to equip it first

-

MMF Freeway posted:

IIRC you can throw firecrackers to give yourself a moment to heal. Also remember that tutorial popup about how to deal with lightning? Its r1 in the air at the right time and it staggers the gently caress outta him if you pull it off

-

Jose posted:

Sprint up before Ogre breaks free. This game wants you to sprint a lot

Communist Bear posted:

Always be sprinting, don't ever stop sprinting.

--

Your Computer posted:

yeah, the way the mikiri counter works is that while you're in your forward dodge frames and a perilous thrust attack hits you, you counter it. As long as you're in that dodge animation, you'll counter it.

Cardiovorax posted:

I actually thought your guy even runs up to people to counter them, it's that forgiving. What actually happens is that if you press B early, you dodge forward and then Mikiri counter as soon as you get in range. Basically, you can't fail at it, unless you forget that the stick should ideally be in neutral.

--

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Fighting big dudes became way easier once I realized that the dodge is entirely a movement tool and i-frames aren't really a thing. You should be dodging repeatedly VERY early (like, when enemies are winding up) because enemies actually dont track well, they just tend to have very wide hitboxes. A successful dodge has you either directly behind or 10 feet away from your opponent by the time they swing.

If you are basically anywhere near the front half of an enemy when they attack and do not block/parry, you are getting hit. If you're going to dodge you absolutely need to do it with the idea that you're getting away from the attack entirely, which is the opposite of Soulsbourne "wait until the last moment for max i-frames" dodging.

--

Your Computer posted:

yeah, if I had just 2 tips for Sekiro it's

1) get the skill that heals on deathblows and
2) do all the training options (yes, even if you know how to dodge) because it opens up more training

Cardiovorax posted:

I just made a point of launching a Cheat Engine table that can let you look at how much HP you have numerically.

The Deathblow Rally heals ten percent of your health precisely. Someone please put this in the OP, for future reference.

--

il serpente cosmico posted:

Enemies blocking you is rarely a bad thing. When they block or deflect you, it still causes posture damage, which is a win for you. Attacking also dictates the pace of battle and allows you to parry their counters after they parry you.

Your Computer posted:

so I've been saying that aggression is important a lot but I think I can finally put it into some Better Words™:

In the Soulsborne games, whether you're attacking or not the bosses will always do their thing so you're forced to react to them - you block or dodge their attacks while waiting for an opening, and then you strike. In Sekiro, this is fundamentally different. By attacking the enemy, you're forcing them to react to you by blocking, which limits their moveset (they usually only have 1-2 different counterattacks) and increases their posture meter. If you play Sekiro like a Soulsborne game and let the enemies dictate the fight, you're going to have a much harder time because unlike the Soulsborne games they often will not leave you an opening, getting you stuck in a "defend, defend, defend, whiff" loop while their posture regens.

This is particularly noticeable in some of the roadblock fights like Genichiro and later (big spoiler) your dad and I've been watching streams and stuff to see how people are handling them, what they're struggling with and such and it's almost universally because they let the bosses do whatever they want. If a boss jumps away to create some space, don't let them! Don't just stand around and wait for them to make their move, corner them and make them respond to your attacks instead.

Your Computer posted:

Key to the fight is definitely aggression - it really helped that I now know to keep an eye out for enemy parries, they're signified by an orange flash. R1 as they're blocking and then get ready to parry their counterattack once you see the orange flash, works like a charm.

OneDeadman posted:

This is also a super major tip about this game.

Everytime you push the attack and then you see the large spark it means that the enemy is going to do Something and you're going to have to react to it.

WaltherFeng posted:

I can say confidently that most of your troubles come from not being familiar with the systems. Its not all about reaction time.

Heres some tips:

-Sprint like a madman when you need to regain control of the battle
-Block. Only parry what you know. Combo enders are often easy to parry and counter
-Block stance regens posture faster
-Simply parrying / blocking is a good way to learn enemy patterns

Also watch the orange sparks when defending or attacking. Those are parries.

Vargs posted:

When I'm up against an enemy that uses these types of attacks, I tend to keep my distance to see which they use. In my experience so far, enemies usually only have 2 types instead of all 3 (thrust, sweep, grab). When you've felt out which 2 you have to deal with and know you can ignore the 3rd, it's significantly easier to deal with. Getting the skill that lets you step on an enemy's thrust with the dodge button also helps, since that means you don't ever need to parry one of these attacks and you have one less button to worry about.

Lord_Magmar posted:

All thrusting attacks are perilous, but the Mikiri Counter is specific to perilous thrusts and will not do anything for sweeps or grabs. Watch your opponent, thrusts will involve their weapon blade flashing, yours does too when you hold attack to thrust, and generally speaking will be pointed towards you or held behind them for the actual thrusting motion. Sweeps will usually involve them going low and holding a weapon to the side, certain large enemies do sweeps that are really awkward to spot because they're huge and thus low is relative. Grabs are the last and generally hardest to spot but also tend to be slowest, grabs are usually animated with the non-weapon hand, or basically any motion that isn't leaning back for thrusts or going low for sweeps, the weapon will often be clearly ignored.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Other small tips, enemies rarely have more than 2 Perilous Attacks, which means you can pretty quickly learn them by just observing a fight long enough. The few who have all 3 also tend to be actual bosses, and with more obvious animations for 1v1 responses. Spear users almost never have actual grabs, even if they have thrusts that become grabs. Also whilst not perilous any time an enemy takes an aiming stance you can jump on their gun for huge posture damage.

HampHamp posted:

Game is amazing. Biggest tip I can give for those who are struggling - do not wait around, fishing for parries. Attack all the time, there's no stamina so go nuts. When they parry you, that's your queue to react to their next move. But otherwise, be aggressive as you can.

Early boss spoiler Lady butterfly is one of my favourite bosses in a from game so far.

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

No, I'm just going to paste this here for people because its incredibly important.

Perilous Attacks
A counter-escape mechanic is added in the game known as Perilous Attacks, some enemies use unguardable "Perilous Attacks", that prompts the player with a red symbol when in danger. Once the symbol occurs on top of Sekiro's head, this will give you the opportunity to watch carefully and to try to respond with the enemy's attack with Sekiro's corresponding movement - Sekiro can either Deflect an incoming thrust attack, Jump before a sweep attack lands, or perform a Step Dodge before getting captured by a grab attack.

There are three types of Perilous Attacks: Thrust, Sweep, and Grab.

Sweep Attack - it is recommended to Jump for any incoming sweep attack.
Thrust Attack - it is recommended to use Mikiri Counter towards enemies performing a thrust attack since this cannot be deflected.
Grab Attack - it is recommended to execute a sidestep to dodge this attack.

The Perilous Attacks kanji/symbol is the same for all 3 so while it tells you SOMETHING bad is coming, you have to make a judgement call on which of the 3 types it will be.

--

The Walrus posted:

nightjar slash is really loving good dang. the whirlwind slash is basically useless for how slow it comes out imo unless you are doing crowd control in which case you've already hosed up by not keeping dudes separated.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Senpou Leaping Kicks with the High Monk upgrade is a really loving good combat art. You do a flying leap at the start with pretty good air time so any time someone does a perilous sweep attack you can just use it to jump over, kick them in the head, and then launch into a flurry of rapid attacks for free.

--

goferchan posted:

Yeah I think people neglecting prosthetics will have a really really tough time on this game. Most of the status effects they apply work on bosses, and when it comes to normal areas they do wonders when you're surrounded. The upgraded versions get infinitely cooler too -- there's a reason spirit emblems are dirt cheap and drop all the time, use your drat prosthetics

--

CJacobs posted:

You have to jump at the enemy and hit jump again when you collide in the air, it'll make Sekiro do the "pop up in the air" double jump move and then you can do the takedown.

Augus posted:

You don’t have to face kick the enemy. It might make it a bit easier with certain enemies but you just have to jump while right next to the enemy and the red dot will appear. I think being a bit below the enemy might help?

And here is a VaatiVidya tips vid that has some great advice and light spoilers, so for new players I'd say watch this after you've played for 4-5 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT35HWy_qvQ

--

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 19, 2019

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
So instead of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice you're telling me they should have just called it Sekiro: Map Design is Close to DS1

Day 1.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Looking forward to a new entry in the Bloodsouls pantheon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bubba Smith posted:

So instead of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice you're telling me they should have just called it Sekiro: Map Design is Close to DS1

Day 1.

The thing that intrigues me is that they are apparently returning to DS1 interconnected map design but they've added quite a vertical component to area traversal...which is ambitious as hell, and they've apparently moved away from some of the RPG leveling mechanics which were the thing that made area progression awkward in DS1.

I am loving pumped to read more item lore fluff!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I am loving pumped to read more item lore fluff!

Pumped here for the inevitable wailing and gnashing of teeth about any adherence to or divergence from Bloodsouls every time more details come out about this game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Araganzar posted:

Pumped here for the inevitable wailing and gnashing of teeth about any adherence to or divergence from Bloodsouls every time more details come out about this game.

Well it's not an RPG, for one.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 14, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

listerine

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I'm all for ditching multiplayer if it means it can create more dynamic combat encounters for the single player besides "circle strafe circle strafe circle strafe, hit dude in the back of the knees, dodge, repeat"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hot take: This game will be good.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
By the looks so far, heavily reminds me of MGS:Revengance's gameplay style. Sure you can be sneaky, but why bother when you can gently caress everyone up. :black101:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The one-hit kill system sounds cool. If you’re slashing people with big swords it should be over fast, not take 10 hits.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CottonWolf posted:

The one-hit kill system sounds cool. If you’re slashing people with big swords it should be over fast, not take 10 hits.

I've always wanted this in a samurai game. I hate slicing away at an enemy, even with armour. Just let us kill one another and let it be glorious.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The way they describe the "posture" basically sounds like Ki/Stamina except perfect parries increase stamina and drain your opponent.

I like it because one of the big things Nioh has over Souls is stamina for all enemies

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

JBP posted:

I've always wanted this in a samurai game. I hate slicing away at an enemy, even with armour. Just let us kill one another and let it be glorious.

Y'all ever heard of Bushido Blade?

For real though this game looks great and it will probably be too hard for me to play, but I will do it anyway.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I don’t really mind no stats or Souls style multiplayer. But man, no fashion? Sad.

Looking fwd to doing my first Day 1 (probs Week 1 actually) From game though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JoeGlassJAw posted:

For real though this game looks great and it will probably be too hard for me to play, but I will do it anyway.

Yes and if Bushido Blade gets teleported into this game by From, or even into Ghost of Tsushima to some extent I'll be happy as heck.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

JBP posted:

Yes and if Bushido Blade gets teleported into this game by From, or even into Ghost of Tsushima to some extent I'll be happy as heck.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

This game looks loving good as gently caress!!!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Rundown of the latest news. More hyped now:

https://youtu.be/NDc_3YZFXpM

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thank god REmake2 has a set release date because waiting for this game would drive me nuts

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I'm thinking there will still be fashion, because they are talking about gear upgrades (Zelda/Metroid or equipment skills from Monster Hunter?), and the story is still told nonlinearly via items, npc dialogue, etc

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 14, 2018

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it'd be pretty bizarre for there not to be alternate weapons and fashion with them sticking to Souls-style storytelling; I'm thinking of stuff like Breath of the Wild. Or even Bloodborne, which would've worked perfectly well without stats or levels.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I do not mourn the loss of stats for a second, I want to use all the hosed-up ninja weapons all the time

The loss of multiplayer... eh. I never was much of a PvP guy anyway. If it allows them to finetune the actual PvE combat much better, so be it. But I did really love all the cooperation aspects, so I'd be happy to see jolly cooperation, messages, rating systems and the like return.

Overall, I'm hyped as gently caress. Nioh was kind of a disappointment for me in the end - horrible story and, worst of all, extremely unimaginative and repetitive level + encounter design -, but the combat was certainly its highlight. Sure hope Sekiro can top that. It definitely LOOKS much better, at least, and mech arm + Bloodborne trick weapons really is a killer combination.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

Rundown of the latest news. More hyped now:

https://youtu.be/NDc_3YZFXpM

Ninja tools altering sword styles/attacks is loving dope

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Soulschu? Darkchu? Tenborne? Bloodchu?

Just workshoping before launch.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
While I am sad to see the lack of multiplayer, as that is always lots of fun in From games, I am hyped for this game.

Was initially bummed about only wielding a katana but now I'm thinking that this will let them focus on making the combat incredible. I would think that it is way easier to design the game around a single weapon.

Apparently you will explore an interconnected map, similar to Dark Souls 1 according to From. No stats but you can upgrade gear or find new gadgets for your arm. People have been making this comparison a LOT but it definitely feels like this will be a very Zelda-esque game. Thinking of a zelda game with a dark souls combat, story telling, and world building sounds incredible to me.

I wasn't a fan of the story in Nioh as I'm not very familiar with Japanese history. So a lot of the historical references were lost on me. Still it was a very fun game. From has insisted that their story telling style has not changed, so I'm optimistic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

^burtle posted:

Soulschu? Darkchu? Tenborne? Bloodchu?

Just workshoping before launch.

Bloodsekirouls

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

There's a tough balance between stripping features from previous games and adding new mechanics to make sure the new game has a distinct feel and gameplay. I think dropping the RPG leveling is a great idea because Soulsborne games have always been about the combat and gameplay while the leveling seemed like an afterthought. The RPG stuff was an active detriment in a lot of Bloodborne. There were so many times I'd find a really interesting weapon or tool that I would not be able to use because my build wouldn't allow it. In order to use some of those weapons effectively, you'd need to do a crazy build that makes you pathetically weak until like half-way through the game, then you'd get the cool item and sleepwalk through the rest of the game.

I'm not sure how I feel about there only being one main weapon now. Katanas are cool and all, but variety has been a strong suit for these games and I'm worried that the game will not be fun to replay as a result. This obviously ties back to the RPG mechanics being dropped. On one hand, there's now no need to replay the game with a completely different build to use an item. On the other, there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason to replay the game other than just for fun. I'm also wondering what they'll do about the whole "souls" system or whatever they call their currency. I guess they can still be used to buy consumables since weapons and armor appear to be off the table :shrug:

I'm a bit more hesitant about losing multiplayer because it was always such a fun and unique feature in the previous games. I get that with no more leveling and weapon variety, each online fight would feel much more similar, but I wished they would have gone for some kind of asynchronous multiplayer again because it was always fun to leave silly messages for other players.

All that being said, I'm still super stoked for this game and will get it the day it comes out because I lack self-control for things I care about. There's definitely good reasons for From to make the changes that they made and if it comes together correctly, there's no reason this game won't be amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah it'd be cool if they had something similar to messages at least (spiritual communion). It was always pretty wild to feel like you were playing a story game that was loosely connected to other people, though modern chat lobbies may sort of invalidate some of that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still think it's weird that everyone treats this like a soulsborne game when it's clearly not. They're not "taking out" stuff from Dark Souls, it's just... a different game :iiam:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I still think it's weird that everyone treats this like a soulsborne game when it's clearly not. They're not "taking out" stuff from Dark Souls, it's just... a different game :iiam:

It's both, really. It's a natural progression from the types of changes that Bloodborne made to DS, but it's also a novel take on stealth action. The dev has already stated that certain staples of Bloodborne and Dark Souls can be expected, be it the mood/environment, storytelling techniques, death mechanic, challenging gameplay, etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's both, really. It's a natural progression from the types of changes that Bloodborne made to DS, but it's also a novel take on stealth action. The dev has already stated that certain staples of Bloodborne and Dark Souls can be expected, be it the mood/environment, storytelling techniques, death mechanic, challenging gameplay, etc.
That's fair, and even from the trailer there's obviously plenty of Souls DNA in there. I just think talking about how it "removes/adds mechanics" or "only one weapon this time" sounds kind of weird, like people are talking about a Dark Souls sequel when it's not.

Also the game looks amazing and I'm hyped as all hell :woop:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

For better or worse, every game that From makes from now on will be treated like a soulsborne game. I think that's why a lot of people are clamoring for a new Armored Core since that series was garbage for the longest time, but a soulsborne style AC game sounds badass

Also, this is an action-adventure game with an emphasis on environmental story-telling and difficult, but fast-paced melee combat. I don't think its too unfair to compare to soulsborne

edit* you're right though, this is it's own game and like I said earlier, I'm looking forward to how the mechanics come together

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Your Computer posted:

I think people are/were unsure what to expect in that regard, because people said the same poo poo about Bloodborne, which ended up clearly having strong Souls influences (and, while loving awesome, suffered somewhat for its inability to decide if it was a Souls game or more of an action game). Dumb "The Dark Souls of _________" articles and posts have led people in this reactionary direction where now you get mocked for comparing literally anything to it, even games like Nioh that are obviously directly influenced by Soulsborne.

I'm looking forward to Sekiro and am into the idea of it being something fresh, but I also think it is not unreasonable for people to be disappointed by a seemingly total dearth of RPG elements from a developer and director who have primarily dedicated themselves to good games with RPG elements for the last 10 years.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Araganzar posted:

I like all of these articles coming out from E3 attendees about how Sekiro is going to be way different than previous souls games. It's almost as if *galaxy brain* it's not a Souls game.

Looks cool though!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

wizard on a water slide posted:

I think people are/were unsure what to expect in that regard, because people said the same poo poo about Bloodborne, which ended up clearly having strong Souls influences (and, while loving awesome, suffered somewhat for its inability to decide if it was a Souls game or more of an action game). Dumb "The Dark Souls of _________" articles and posts have led people in this reactionary direction where now you get mocked for comparing literally anything to it, even games like Nioh that are obviously directly influenced by Soulsborne.

I'm looking forward to Sekiro and am into the idea of it being something fresh, but I also think it is not unreasonable for people to be disappointed by a seemingly total dearth of RPG elements from a developer and director who have primarily dedicated themselves to good games with RPG elements for the last 10 years.

I mean, the landscape has really changed since Demon's Souls. Back then a focused and uncompromising action rpg was fresh and different from all the cinematic FPS and TPS rollercoaster/deathmatch games. There's been quite a bit of indie nostalgia and revivalism in the intervening years, and Bloodsouls became more of a genre than series. People are always suspicious of new things, just like they were suspicious of DeS back then, but Miyazaki seems to thrive in that zone when expectations are tempered and can be defied in new ways, or at least ways that are out of step with what's trendy.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
This seems like an evolution to Bloodborne, which already streamlined certain aspects of previous Souls games.

Katana only seems limiting. But it looks like your moveset will change depending what gadget or tools you are using (such as shuriken). And there will be different stances. I'm anticipating a very nuanced battle system that will let you pull off some extremely stylish poo poo.

Miyazaki gave an interview and confirmed while their wont be stats, there will be some sort of RPG progression for the character. But he couldn't say what that was yet.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I think the replay value for Sekiro will come from tactical variety rather than build variety. That’s why the verticality was added and emphasized. So I kind of think it might be like an action-adventure 3rd person Shadow Tactics, with boss fights.

So instead of “this is my sorc build” it will be “this playthrough I’m going to stealth kill the whole game.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It seems to me kinda like Fromsoft's take on the modern AAA action game. More "cinematic" than the oldschool Zelda style of the Souls games but presumably, y'know.... good :v:

I'm not really a fan of those AAA action games (like the AssCreed games, Witcher, etc.) where you feel like you're just pressing buttons and suggesting to your character what to do and they always felt too floaty for me, but I have absolute confidence that if anyone can make that kind of more cinematic combat feel great it's Fromsoft :shobon: