Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

We need footage of Burton - the one who introduced the club to the Church of UFOlogy and encouraged Walker to arrange it - and Hass being marched out of the AFC officers by security with a cardboard box containing their belongings ASAP, before this disaster gets any worse.

Might be wishful thinking there. AFL clubs are insular boys clubs as it it, I hate to think how bad it would be in a town like Adelaide that is insular as gently caress on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
frankly I'm surprised they've handled losing to richmond this well

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

gay picnic defence posted:

Might be wishful thinking there. AFL clubs are insular boys clubs as it it, I hate to think how bad it would be in a town like Adelaide that is insular as gently caress on top of that.

The following ex-Adelaide players are currently employed in coaching or administrative roles:

Rod Jameson and Mark Ricciuto - 25% of the board
Nigel Smart - COO
Brett Burton - Head of Football
Ben Hart - Defence coach
Matthew Clarke - Ruck coach
Brent Reilly - Development coach

Good luck getting accountability from that lot.

Side note, I also noticed when looking at the crows website that the board member who got rich selling weapons to terrorists had that part of his CV omitted from his profile.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Darren Burgess thinks the AFL should restrict clubs to 10 interchanges a quarter

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

NTRabbit posted:

Darren Burgess thinks the AFL should restrict clubs to 10 interchanges a quarter

:thunk:

what's his justification

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

what's his justification

Wanted to get his name in the papers and needed a controversial opinion

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

strap on revenge posted:

what's his justification

It's his idea for reducing congestion, and his justification is that it will create just enough fatigue to make players seriously consider whether they actually can run to every stoppage, and still be able to run somewhere else as well.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I like how many people complain about poor skills and fundamentals and that clubs should start drafting footballers instead of distance runners, and then also say we should cripple the bench to the point where only loving ironmen will be able to run out a game (and be too tired to kick it properly by half time anyway)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A team of players only staying within their lines because they don't have the fitness to run all game and kicking it to open one on one contests sounds an awful lot like :airquote:the way it used to be played when football was good:airquote:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

A team of players only staying within their lines because they don't have the fitness to run all game and kicking it to open one on one contests sounds an awful lot like :airquote:the way it used to be played when football was good:airquote:

Alternatively recruiters just put an even higher priority on endurance athletes because the advantages of being able to run out a game become even greater.

The idea that we can make the game so tiring that clubs will just give up and get their guys to stand still is a fantasy. You’ll get the opposite outcome and skills within individual games will drop even further because everyone’s so loving tired.

Short of instituting a mandatory smoko and tinnie break I don’t see how they actually expect this to work

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I mean it's not like the AFL executives and the rules of the game committee have been repeatedly and excessively outsmarted by the coaching staff of AFL clubs every time they've tried to use a poo poo rule change to drive a corporate agenda, surely it'll work this time guys

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The ridiculous notion that coaches will simply accept that their players are too fatigued to run to a contest shits me to no end. There is no practical way it can possibly work.

Can you imagine it? When it first happens, the teams which happen to be fitter than the others will end up outnumbering their opponents at every contest, and we'll see some absolute floggings.

Then coaches will stop playing players who aren't fit enough to keep doing it without breaks.

In the meantime, we'll see players pushing themselves beyond the brink of exhaustion, say hello to a bunch of soft tissue injuries. Meanwhile players are getting flogged harder and harder on the track because, sorry guys, you need to run the same distance with less breaks from now on, got to get fitter!

Eventually we'll stop recruiting genuine footballers at all and just recruit endurance runners.

You simply cannot prevent a successful tactic by exhausting people too much to carry it out. That doesn't ever work. All it does is lower the quality of play because everyone's loving exhausted.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
They need an Al Swearengen who spends all day plotting and thinking about the consequences of his potential actions.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Al Swearengen, football coach has a particular feel.

Particularly if he runs his half-time talks with that quote I used to have under my av.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Welcome to fuckin’ DeadCollingwood

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Jesus Christ, the Saints have selected David Armitage this week while also playing Steele and Dunstan. Can't wait for one of those inside midfielders get 10 disposals as a half forward because there's no way we can play all 3 in a role they are actually suited to. I hope we lose the Suns so Richo and all the coaches get the sack cause they are loving idiots.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
They just said on Foxfooty that the Crows plan on keeping the Collective Minds program running as they can see the value in it.

Sounds like a good idea, but I'd also suggest that they bring in another wheel to make sure no playing escapes severe physical trauma to go with their mental trauma.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I eagerly await the royal commission into the Adelaide Football Club

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Periphery posted:

They just said on Foxfooty that the Crows plan on keeping the Collective Minds program running as they can see the value in it.

Sounds like a good idea, but I'd also suggest that they bring in another wheel to make sure no playing escapes severe physical trauma to go with their mental trauma.

Couldn't the players just do a Melbourne and refuse to go?

Who would blame them, given the details of what went on at the last one.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Open a can of fuckin' peaches at half time!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Couldn't the players just do a Melbourne and refuse to go?

Who would blame them, given the details of what went on at the last one.

If the rumours in the media are to be believed a bunch of them might do a Brisbane and demand to be traded

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

“If you looked up leadership in the dictionary you’d find Travis Boak and Easton Wood”

Yeah...nah

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
That free kick against McLean was the most extraordinary decision I've ever seen

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Mclean puts his head over the ball, gets front on contact on the top of his loving head at speed from the oncoming port player, and it’s a free to port

Okay

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Yep. The ridiculous freekick in the first 5 seconds of the game shows which side the umpires are on tonight.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Bit cold for the Power fans tonight by the looks of it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

Bit cold for the Power fans tonight by the looks of it

So much for the big freeze. Pathetic effort imo.

You’d say it might be something to do with having work tomorrow morning, but...

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Why are bulldogs so poo these days

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Seriously, how have the Bulldogs fallen so far off the cliff in the last two years?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Fire Beveridge

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I totally forgot there was footy on tonight, looks like the doggies have as well.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

cmndstab posted:

The ridiculous notion that coaches will simply accept that their players are too fatigued to run to a contest shits me to no end. There is no practical way it can possibly work.

Can you imagine it? When it first happens, the teams which happen to be fitter than the others will end up outnumbering their opponents at every contest, and we'll see some absolute floggings.

Then coaches will stop playing players who aren't fit enough to keep doing it without breaks.

In the meantime, we'll see players pushing themselves beyond the brink of exhaustion, say hello to a bunch of soft tissue injuries. Meanwhile players are getting flogged harder and harder on the track because, sorry guys, you need to run the same distance with less breaks from now on, got to get fitter!

Eventually we'll stop recruiting genuine footballers at all and just recruit endurance runners.

You simply cannot prevent a successful tactic by exhausting people too much to carry it out. That doesn't ever work. All it does is lower the quality of play because everyone's loving exhausted.

Every single word of this is extremely correct

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I believe the best word to describe this game for the Dogs is "out-classed"

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
wait there is a game on tonight?

it is Thursday... in a week where 4 teams have the bye. what the hell?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
cmdstab that was a very good post. Someone call KB and tell him about it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

drunkill posted:

it is Thursday... in a week where 4 teams have the bye. what the hell?

With the byes the AFL can get their beloved Thursday night games with out loving a over teams too badly with short breaks.

Plus the World Cup starts tonight so gotta keep footy front and centre

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

drunkill posted:

it is Thursday... in a week where 4 6 teams have the bye. what the hell?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Lol Robbie Gray I know you're a Lakers fan what do you think of Golden State? Who gives a gently caress you moron

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/AndrewGigacz/status/1007255316126261249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jeez I hope we don’t sell the farm to get Wallis after tonight’s performance. Dude looks cooked