Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Detroit: Become Human is the latest game from David Cage and Quantic Dream. It is an adventure game about human-like robots becoming self-aware and how they deal with that. Largely, it is a big step up in previous David Cage games both in terms of giving the player choices and in having those choices matter. Also largely, it deals with some serious issues and themes without much subtlety or tact. Also the movement controls aren't great.

If I'm being cagey (:rimshot:) about the content of the game, it's because pretty much all of its value is in the story, and I want to avoid spoilers. So, no spoilers please. At the same time, I have to acknowledge that this is a pretty heavily publicized game and is already not without controversy, so it's not like I can pretend that most of the people watching this aren't familiar with it. At the same time, I recognize that I am probably the least qualified person to discuss serious issues and controversy while also playing a video game. So why am I making this LP?

Because my little sister is Valorie Curry, who plays Kara. In fact, the popularity of the Kara tech demo (also starring Valorie) is the reason why Detroit: Become Human got made at all. So this whole thing is arguably her fault. Anyway, she'll be joining me for the first episode, as well as whatever episodes she has time to record with me. She's currently filming season 2 of The Tick for Amazon (where she plays Arthur's sister Dot), so check that out as well! She'll also return for the finale, where she has graciously agreed to answer questions from you, the audience, so feel free to leave a reply with something you'd like to ask her.

And when she's too busy to record with me, I'll be soliciting commentators from among other LPers, so if you're interested in that, hit me up.

Episodes
Episode 1 with Valorie Curry
Episode 2 with Valorie Curry
Episode 3 with Dan and Grace
Episode 4 with Coolguy
Episode 5 with Valorie Curry
Episode 6 with nobody
Episode 7 with TheLoneStar
Episode 8 with Valorie Curry
Episode 9 with Dan and Grace
Episode 10 with Calli and Michael
Episode 11 with migraines
Episode 12 with Dan and Grace
Episode 13 with Ibblebibble
Episode 14 with Dan and Grace
Episode 15 with P0LARMic
Episode 16 with mateo360
Episode 17 with Dan and Grace
Episode 18 with TheLastRoboKy
Episode 19 with Miz Kriss
Episode 20 with new glasses (but still migraines)
Episode 21 with Dan and Grace
Episode 22 with Coolguy
Episode 23 with Anticheese
Episode 24 with Dan and Grace
Episode 25 with Miz Kriss
Episode 26 with Dan and Grace
Episode 27 with Coolguy
Episode 28 with Coolguy, Miz Kriss, Dan, and Grace
Episode 29 with Coolguy, Miz Kriss, Dan, and Grace
Episode 30 with Valorie Curry
Bonus Speedrun with a bunch of people

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, I think you win for LP guests.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I must hear the inside track on opinions about this game.

I mean I imagine I can't but, man.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, the title really undersells this. I thought the gimmick of this thread would be that you have a really young sister, who has to make the heavy emotional decisions for you.

Needless to say, I'm in for the ride.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fedule posted:

I must hear the inside track on opinions about this game.

I mean I imagine I can't but, man.

Did David Cage try to ask her for references to make a detailed nude model that wouldn't actually be seen in the game?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, I remember you saying your sister was an actress, having worked on that should bring an interesting point of view.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

chitoryu12 posted:

Did David Cage try to ask her for references to make a detailed nude model that wouldn't actually be seen in the game?

Hey, let's wait for the game to get creepy on its own, we don't need to suss it out of David Cage

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This is very cool, reminds me of when they got the adviser/narrator to guest in one of the Majesty LP videos.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This is pretty cool having an inside view on the game. It's definitely very pretty and the copbot part actually looks pretty fun.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think you messed up the "with my 13 yo sister" thing that youtubers use for clickbait titles.

Also I look forward to the possible confusion when Kara shows up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it spoilers to point out how bad unemployment is even though the game points it out a couple times already?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is it spoilers to point out how bad unemployment is even though the game points it out a couple times already?

I was kind of quietly digging the world building. It started subtle with the homeless guys 'Androids took my job' sign, and that would have been enough, along with the mother(?) from the hostage situations reaction to get the idea that not everyone is on board with androids and/or they're not thought of as equals. Or well duh they're not, but that they're out right treated as inferior. With the shopping scene and the creepy guy who I'm sure was banging Kara or some other shady business, it paints a bit of a picture of androids as property and not as people, but again duh, that is literally what they are, but when they're so lifelike, and can have emotions, develop attachments to the family they live with/work for that sentiment starts to blend into allusions of slavery. Which is probably directly intended by Cage, okay, still right on, I'm with it still. But then there's the street corner prophet preaching fire and demons and how androids are the devil. Okay, bring it back a notch there Cage. Oh and then the actual chanting protest on a city corner? Seems a bit much... and oh god.. Cage is literally loading the androids on the back of the bus. Whelp. So much for any nuance. Got it Mr. Cage, they're slaves and/or black people pre-civil rights movement in the USA.

Nice enough looking game I might want to try it out myself, but for the LP, will there be edited versions where I can listen to in game dialogs?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh sweet a CirclMastr LP of a game I'd love to play but can't because gently caress console exclusives.

Oh sweet you're sister is actually in the game even better.

Ha how many more Twitter followers did you suddenly get out of this Circl?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 14, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is there an in-universe reason for why the androids (and gynoids) are so human looking? Or is it just for the slavery metaphor?

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

White Coke posted:

Is there an in-universe reason for why the androids (and gynoids) are so human looking? Or is it just for the slavery metaphor?

It's for sex and you know it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

One episode in and the Youtube comments are already dire. Maybe future videos could have Polsy links for us Goons in the thread?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

VolticSurge posted:

One episode in and the Youtube comments are already dire. Maybe future videos could have Polsy links for us Goons in the thread?

there's addons that disable comments(and recommended videos which is real helpful for avoiding spoilers in this case), I highly recommend using em if you value your sanity :v:

Also you better keep Connor safe, he is a Good Boy.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 14, 2018

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
you could also just pop the url into Polsy yourself. Just saying..

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Nalesh posted:

there's addons that disable comments(and recommended videos which is real helpful for avoiding spoilers in this case), I highly recommend using em if you value your sanity :v:

There don't seem to be any Firefox add-ons that do the latter. Found a comment blocker though, at least.

mateo360 posted:

No need to be rude,man.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Considering this is a David Cage game, how long until the sexbots?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

how long til the sexbots have a dbz fight with an ancient mayan priest and the internet?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

VolticSurge posted:

No need to be rude,man.

And no need to be lazy and ask Circl to do it for you :v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Screenshot peak comments to torture Circl with

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

White Coke posted:

One of the first magazines you can read I think as Markus has a run down on it: Earlier on they were more mannequin-like and people complained that they were too weird when they lacked 'humanizing' details like hair, eyelashes, nails and the like so they fixed that, then people started getting weirded out that they never blinked or 'breathed' either next, it progressed from there until their biggest distinguishing feature left is the little circular LED. Also gonna be watching this for sure, I ended up liking the game a whole lot more than I thought I would.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Jade Star posted:

[...]oh god.. Cage is literally loading the androids on the back of the bus. Whelp. So much for any nuance. Got it Mr. Cage, they're slaves and/or black people pre-civil rights movement in the USA.

Nice enough looking game I might want to try it out myself, but for the LP, will there be edited versions where I can listen to in game dialogs?

Don't forget the yellow blue armbands and stars triangles that every android wears. Like I said, a lack of subtlety or tact.

As far as the LP structure goes, I was hoping to do an edited production where videos showcased multiple paths in each chapter. But then, surprise, my sister does not have much more than a phone for doing voice chat and neither the time nor desire to do anything technical, so it turned into "gently caress it, we're doing it live!"

Gridlocked posted:

Ha how many more Twitter followers did you suddenly get out of this Circl?

Not as many as I got Youtube subscribers. :10bux: j/k they aren't sticking around for anything that's not my sister.

VolticSurge posted:

Maybe I'm just numb to it but I only saw one person posting spoilers in a comment. How do I make Polsy links anyway?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CirclMastr posted:

Not as many as I got Youtube subscribers. :10bux: j/k they aren't sticking around for anything that's not my sister.

We should play the thread side game of: how many comments on the 2nd video will be "Where is your sister?" "Why isn't your sister playing?" "Who is playing this her husband?"

Never forget the day Circl was thanked for being born.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 14, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

One of the first magazines you can read I think as Markus has a run down on it: Earlier on they were more mannequin-like and people complained that they were too weird when they lacked 'humanizing' details like hair, eyelashes, nails and the like so they fixed that, then people started getting weirded out that they never blinked or 'breathed' either next, it progressed from there until their biggest distinguishing feature left is the little circular LED.

That's what I figured. It seems really stupid of the company to humanize their slaves, but we've yet to see anyone who likes robots except the little girl at the beginning.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honest question for you, Circl- do you mooch off your superstar sister? :v:

On an actually serious note, and I hope I'm not getting too spoilery here, but how much choice is there in the game? Are there large-scale changes depending on your choices, or is it like Telltale?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That round mirror in front of the SWAT captain didn't show off any reflections. Is it a mirror or some future thing?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 14, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Neat idea for an LP. iirc the voices for 9S and 2B(?) did an lp for nier automata, too. It's great when people involved with the creation of a game join in on an LP. Or, in other ways, like when the voice of the narrator for battleblock theater skyped in for a speedrun of the game during a Games Done Quick and read off donations in the narrator voice/lost his poo poo when the game got repeatedly, utterly broken by mecharichter and PJ.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This is really cool! I look forward to more episodes, Circl. I subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!

please thank your sister for putting up with goons (including yourself) ty

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

my cat is norris posted:

This is really cool! I look forward to more episodes, Circl. I subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!

please thank your sister for putting up with goons (including yourself) ty

The YouTube comments are coming from INSIDE THE THREAD

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CommissarMega posted:

On an actually serious note, and I hope I'm not getting too spoilery here, but how much choice is there in the game? Are there large-scale changes depending on your choices, or is it like Telltale?

There's some pretty big divergences that can happen, characters can straight up die even early on and they're done. Very mild spoiler: Except for Connor, who's a special boy.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Not often you see an LP like this. As much as I'm not a FAN of Become Human...I'll definitely be trying to keep up with this. Not often (or ever) goon LPs get VAs from the games they're playing/

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've been watching the Super Best Friends LP of this game, so I'm watching both now to see how much (or little) divergence there is between the two. For example, Connor can gently caress up on the last dialogue option with "Truth" and tank the probability of success form 99% to 0 and ended up sacrificing himself to save the girl

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 14, 2018

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

mateo360 posted:

He doesn't let me do that anymore

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Maybe I'm just numb to it but I only saw one person posting spoilers in a comment. How do I make Polsy links anyway?

Plug url in here http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/

For example here's your first vid Polsyfied (polsified?)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Namtab posted:

He doesn't let me do that anymore

Look, I just needed a bit of a break

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

VolticSurge posted:

No need to be rude,man.

That suggestion was borderline polite. Don't stress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

I really had my fingers crossed for this one, but, if this first episode is anything to go by, then Detroit: The Humaning is going to be as bad as Cage's other releases. I think my favorite poorly thought out detail is how the Android Compartment has a clear pane in front of it, so all of the androids on board can stare at the other passengers en masse.

I can't wait to see more, CirlcMastr.