Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Ok pod, you claim that you didn’t try to kill anyone n2. Did you perform another action? You don’t have to say what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Podima posted:

Strongest on Hal, beyond that here are my iffy secondaries with pros/cons:

IS
- Scum: I can't put my finger on it but I feel like they've been on the periphery a lot this game.
- Town: I don't feel that town would have done the "ok let's thunderdome" yesterday, that's a step further than I'd suspect scum of going.

Merk
- Scum: the dwelling on AS is really Not Good at this point.
- Town: Their claim of council-aligned seems genuine-ish? Looking back at PMom's early game posting I see hints at that as well. Council doesn't mean guaranteed town but still it's something.

(On the topic of Merk/AS:

I'm not sure what you're asking here? It was a fair callout of Slamburger at the time, over-focus on setup spec/mechanics vs. casing is a no-no.)

I also don't like bminus' "oops i just read my PM for the first time and I was in the market lol!" but I'm making myself not glare too hard at that because it may be partially omgus.

yeah, i suppose i thought it was a weak call (i called this out earlier, slamburger was not doing what pmom was saying) and i wanted to understand what you meant and why you thought this was a fair callout, given that. i'm suss of merk atm based on his posting and pmoms.

not sure what to make of bminus post, why ppl didn't check when alignment chat was happening re: me and AA, i don't know.

Moatillata posted:

I feel like I just wanna murder half the people in this game

me too. i hope you aren't a cultist now moat

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

Hmm. This is the first time I’m hearing about St. Leroux outside of the thread title. I just figured it was the name of the city or something haha.

I assume that’s the dude who hosed us up and made all murder happen

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

Ok pod, you claim that you didn’t try to kill anyone n2. Did you perform another action? You don’t have to say what it is.

I did not act on Night 2.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

The air is sweaty and damp. The sun breaks between clouds, giving brief moments of rest below. The town of Juanagua in the Livireen simmers every summer, and when that happens everything on the island moves a little more slowly. Lizards bake comfortably on stone slabs, birds bathe in fountains, and people rest under awnings or palm fronds. Fish mongers cast ice spells over their wares while hauling them from port to stall, priests linger in their temples waving themselves with fans, beggars sleep under makeshift tents, tax collectors go door to door wearing wide-brimmed hats, soothsayers shrug when asked the simplest questions, and expecting mothers gather by the shore, soaking their feet in the waves. Life here is still and steady; it's too hot to be too busy, and the Juanagualeños are fine with that.
Today though, as things do in stories like this, something new happened. A strange man approached the town on foot. He wore a burlap cloak with his hood up, the bright sun obscuring his face. He was an itinerant preacher, though he fancied himself more of a prophet. He had spent decades meditating in the mountains, hoping to uncover a deeper meaning to life. Instead he discovered fantastic powers, magicks he spent more decades honing and training. Now he felt like he was ready to put his strength to the test: he was going to kill an entire town with his mind.

This is the relevant flavor for St. Leroux, though it never mentions him by name. Note mention of "though he fancied himself more of a prophet" for the Saint moniker. It's not unreasonable that people might not know the name if they weren't connected to him in some way - my flavor specifically states that during my investigation I interviewed someone who was in his thrall for a time and served as his enforcer, and that's how I learned what he called himself.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Podima posted:

Why do you say this? Do you have reason to believe that you win with St. Leroux?

I don't believe that is your win condition. I think you are an antibiotic town 3P role and you are spinning things as best you can.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

I don't believe that is your win condition. I think you are an antibiotic [sic] town 3P role and you are spinning things as best you can.

All I can do is point to my kill choices as being aligned with my casing/desire to eliminate anti-town influences.

Question though, how would I know about St. Leroux as part of my win condition if it was never mentioned in the thread, as was just pointed out (and I hadn't realized until that point)? Do you believe I'm an anti-town 3P that still has knowledge of St. Leroux (the probable scum/cult leader, given flavor)?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Podima posted:

All I can do is point to my kill choices as being aligned with my casing/desire to eliminate anti-town influences.

Question though, how would I know about St. Leroux as part of my win condition if it was never mentioned in the thread, as was just pointed out (and I hadn't realized until that point)? Do you believe I'm an anti-town 3P that still has knowledge of St. Leroux (the probable scum/cult leader, given flavor)?

This I question is disingenuous because it is such an easy thing to say you have knowledge of as long as you even partly paid attention to the flavor.

I'm not a fan of this.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Moatillata posted:

This I question is disingenuous because it is such an easy thing to say you have knowledge of as long as you even partly paid attention to the flavor.

I'm not a fan of this.

It's fair, I'm not hanging my hat on it, but I made my knowledge of it very clear in my initial claim post as part of my win condition. Still, there are people like b- who had no idea, so eh.

Again: I'm going to keep hunting St. Leroux. Right now I think that's Hal. ##vote Hal Town is better served focusing on scum rather than thinking about who might have been recruited, if you're afraid of a recruiting cult situation.

Put simply: Do you think I'm St. Leroux? (e.g. the mind-controlling person who is likely connected to the "suicide" kill on Day 1.) If not, who do you think is scum? That's a fruitful conversation to have.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

It's fair, I'm not hanging my hat on it, but I made my knowledge of it very clear in my initial claim post as part of my win condition. Still, there are people like b- who had no idea, so eh.

Again: I'm going to keep hunting St. Leroux. Right now I think that's Hal. ##vote Hal Town is better served focusing on scum/possible cult recruiter rather than thinking about who might have been recruited, if you're afraid of a recruiting cult situation. Otherwise you're only maintaining parity at best when looking for people who have changed abruptly.

Put simply: Do you think I'm St. Leroux? (e.g. the mind-controlling person who is likely connected to the "suicide" kill on Day 1.) If not, who do you think is scum? That's a fruitful conversation to have.

Mafia edit.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

merk posted:

9 alive.

If this is a traditional cult, there are at most 3 cultists remaining:
n0: Cult Recruiter
n1: Cult Recruiter + Recruit1
n2: Cult Recruiter + Recruit 1 + Recruit 2
n3: Cult Recruiter + Recruit 1 + Recruit 2 + Recruit 3

If there is a traditional cult and a traditional scum team for this size of game (3 scum), that means there are 3 town, 3 scum, and 3 cult remaining.

all of these scenarios seem implausible. I highly doubt there is a scum and a cult. Although strangely enough my role pm includes the word scum and not cult as the threat. Whatever.

We have a bunch of council claims, two 3p claims, and two town claims. Illegally sober and and merk need to claim flavor and alignment ASAP.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Why on earth would you not have killed me last night Pod

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

Like you think I’m the guy you had to kill and I was your top scum read and you chose to kill a lurker. That makes no sense after what you claimed

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
That is a great question. Yesterday Pod even said that alasdair should be modkilled. Why waste a night action on him?

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

b-minus1 posted:

all of these scenarios seem implausible. I highly doubt there is a scum and a cult. Although strangely enough my role pm includes the word scum and not cult as the threat. Whatever.

We have a bunch of council claims, two 3p claims, and two town claims. Illegally sober and and merk need to claim flavor and alignment ASAP.

who is the other 3p bminus

because i am town, who will flip wild aligned.

i also have a mention of removing scum players from the game. this shouldn't be read into though, ecco isn't going to tip us off there is a cult like that.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hey Pod, what's the flavor of the Dick Kill?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Podima posted:

Again: I'm going to keep hunting St. Leroux. Right now I think that's Hal. ##vote Hal Town is better served focusing on scum rather than thinking about who might have been recruited, if you're afraid of a recruiting cult situation.

Probably you or merk

I think both of the replacements were because :effort:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
##unvote

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Like you think I’m the guy you had to kill and I was your top scum read and you chose to kill a lurker. That makes no sense after what you claimed

Quoting for truth

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hal Incandenza posted:

Because I would rather kill an offensive display of lurking and convince people you’re scum based on your posts rather than leave town with thumbs up their asses wasting time on someone who isn’t posting. How is this even a question? You know how I play, lurking is terrible and I was also casing Meinberg before he replaced out. Also this purposely discounts the fact that I still killed a cultist.

(The mod killing thing was me blowing smoke. Ecco doesn’t do mod kills.)

CCKeane posted:

Hey Pod, what's the flavor of the Dick Kill?

Fast acting poison from a dart.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I’m going to bed. I’m traveling tomorrow after work but should be around in the hours before deadline. I’ll make an effort to check in during lunch tomorrow if I can. I realize the lack of availability sucks since I’m understandably a topic of conversation, sorry - I’ll PM Ecco to ask if deadline can get extended to Friday maybe.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

So just to be clear you think there is an entire scum team led by me and rather than kill me and win the game you are so noble that you took out a lurker and figured you’d stick around to have me killed in a much more difficult way that you really don’t have control over. All of which you kept under wraps until you suddenly found yourself in a compromised position.

You are truly Saint Podima, a gift to mafia

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

So just to be clear you think there is an entire scum team led by me and rather than kill me and win the game you are so noble that you took out a lurker and figured you’d stick around to have me killed in a much more difficult way that you really don’t have control over. All of which you kept under wraps until you suddenly found yourself in a compromised position.

Gotta say I'm around here.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Hal Incandenza posted:

:emptyquote:

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Hal Incandenza posted:

i mean i see this argument, but my problem is that he did kill alisdair and he was a cultist. no one has counterclaimed pod on the kill claim, so we can assume this was him. so i am convinced that he is a 3p and not a cultist, and i don't completely scoff at the idea that pod would take out a lurker who has contributed nothing. the db kill also makes sense.

so the question is is he lying about what his 3p role is. maybe, but given the game that we've had and all the weird roles there are i'm not ruling out he is telling the truth. given he's hit suss people or cultists so far, i'm inclined to let him live today. cult are sure going to want to make sure he dies today, in any case, so this little pile up is interesting.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Hal Incandenza posted:

:drat:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hal Incandenza posted:

You’re very mad about me killing a lurker and casing you as scum, this is the most effort you’ve actually put into this game outside of sidelong snipey comments.

It should be obvious to others that St. Leroux and associates would feel most threatened by what I just claimed, and be pushing hardest to frame it as me not being credible.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also because Hal got unnecessarily personal and lovely, I’ll let myself have one shot in turn:

I actually care about putting effort into my games, both as a mod and a player. Lurking is what kills games and turns existing players mean/frustrated, as does replacements. I joined this game despite being stupid busy because I saw multiple replace-outs and wanted to help out. For my kill choice, three replacements for a single role is outrageous and puts an unfair burden on town to deal with if the mod isn’t going to. Plus, I had cased Meinberg, so Hal’s framing of me just shooting a lurker instead of a scum read is patently false.

Yes I could have shot Hal and potentially won (though his tack of casing me for... shooting a cultist instead of him is weird) but would I rather support a good mafia game by killing a scummy lurker over a potential personal victory - especially when Hal being my strongest scum read does NOT ensure I’m correct? Yes, in a heartbeat.

tldr: I killed scum/cult that I cased previously. Criticizing me for not killing someone else is nonsense.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

How am I mad? Because I pointed out that you were being illogical?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I think you took that a bit too personal, I’m just playing mafia here and calling out something that sounds like BS

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I don't think I've ever played in a Cult game (or if I did, I don't remember or wasn't alive long enough to have to hunt cult), and it seems like an extremely difficult situation for town to be in right now going into Day 4. Given there's only been one kill not claimed by Pod its also not clear if this is a no-scum game or not. Overall, I'm not really sure how to hunt "cult" since anyone that I've had a good town read on would naturally also be a great recruit candidate so it seems like a total wash. I think the path to town victory is very narrow, and I think its critical to get the recruiter immediately. Like, we probably lose if we don't get the recruiter today (and even if we do, we probably still lose). The only silver lining is we have a very solid roster of smart players left alive, probably more so than any other game I can remember at this stage, so I feel like there is some shot of figuring this out. Half of them are probably cult though so meh.

So my best guess at cult recruiter is Hal, Keane, or AS. I'm not sure exactly what to make of Pod's role right now.

As someone mentioned, AS claiming PGO would be a great gambit as recruiter but adding the Death Miller thing seems unnecessary and too risky. If no one else claims "wild" though I think its as good a shot of any pinning her as recruiter. I hope to do some deeper analysis (maybe) of AS, Hal, and Keane. I doubt I'll vote for anyone else today unless I'm presented with a persuasive argument or night actions / role claiming sheds more light on the situation.

Also, to:

Atomic Soda posted:

are you council or town who will flip council? i'm feeling pedantic.

I am town-aligned and I will flip council-aligned. I was at the shore when the massacre happened.

We've got our work cut out for us today.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Radio silence from merk and IS.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
I can’t see myself voting for keane or hal. They’ve been my strongest town reads all game

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

There doesn’t have to be a recruiter, people could just start as cult and Ecco isn’t using the “normal” cult mechanic

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Pod's reasoning for killing Alasdair instead of Hal makes no sense. Alasdair was almost certainly going to be modkilled anyway. It's possible that pod and alasdair are cultmates, and pod's frustration with alasdair's lurking was legitimate, and he killed him to build town cred (and possibly freeing up a cult spot if there is a limit on the number of players that can be in the cult at a given time).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##unvote

b-minus1 posted:

Radio silence from merk and IS.

I'm not here every moment of every day, friend. I've already claimed council-aligned. For flavor, I am a constable who was outside of town when the massacre occurred. I'm now here hoping to restore order.

I don't intend to claim my role, but I do have one.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I have a theory:

"wild-aligned" can win with any alignment. AS sounds like a Survivor if that is accurate.
"self-aligned" can only win with himself.

That's the only way that I can distinguish what I believe are two non-town alignments.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
In previous Ecco games, an SK is self-aligned, for example.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
With a self-aligned and wild-aligned claims and a cult-aligned flip, there might not be a traditional scum team... which means we aren't in the 3/3/3 dire situation I hypothesized earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
AS, are you a Survivor? If so, you can claim it and I will deviate from my 'kill all third party' stance just this once because I think we have more pressing concerns. It also will give us insight into Pod's claim and the setup in general.

This is the only theory that makes any sense to me. Ecco would not put a Death Miller into his game.

• Locked thread