Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

Sounds like a British Silicon Valley.

No because Silicon Valley has some actual skilled programmers working there not just idiots with connections and a "clever idea". You know how Rudy Giuliani is now Trump's Cybersecurity adviser? GDS was like that but "the web" for the British government.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

Nah it was always run by a bunch of Nathan Barley types fixated on the idea that no one outside Shoreditch "gets" the web.

This was definitely true to begin with but those types don't stick around once some actual maintenance and engineering needs doing, so they're all pretty much gone now, both devs and management.

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH just read literally any of these. They're the only reason I know that Shoreditch exists.

Bear in mind The Register has a hard on for dunking on GDS regardless of whether they're right or not.

ookiimarukochan posted:

No because Silicon Valley has some actual skilled programmers working there not just idiots with connections and a "clever idea".

You're probably referring to east london in general but take it easy with the generalisations, you're including me and people I care about who are actually skilled programmers, there's lovely twats in every part of the industry.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

No because Silicon Valley has some actual skilled programmers working there not just idiots with connections and a "clever idea". You know how Rudy Giuliani is now Trump's Cybersecurity adviser? GDS was like that but "the web" for the British government.

I think he's referring to the TV show Silicon Valley...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

After figuring out an issue which stemmed from google forms not letting you pick which user to authenticate with:

Me: yeah that turned out to be the issue, so I guess there’s a problem with google forms and multiple accounts
IT guy: there is no issue with multiple accounts, I have two open all the time, in different instances of chrome

Okay well good work rear end in a top hat, let’s make that workaround the standard solution for everyone, running multiple instances of something is real easy on a Mac.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jaded Burnout posted:

After figuring out an issue which stemmed from google forms not letting you pick which user to authenticate with:

Me: yeah that turned out to be the issue, so I guess there’s a problem with google forms and multiple accounts
IT guy: there is no issue with multiple accounts, I have two open all the time, in different instances of chrome

Okay well good work rear end in a top hat, let’s make that workaround the standard solution for everyone, running multiple instances of something is real easy on a Mac.

In Chrome it's trivial.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

In Chrome it's trivial.

Oh yeah, very trivial, we’ll just get 500 mixed-technical users to do this then
https://sites.google.com/a/yarina.org/dougs-notes/home/mac-os-x/multiple-instances-of-chrome

Even if it was actually trivial, It’s still a bug in a supported google apps feature, which is all I was saying in the first place.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Sounds like a British Silicon Valley.

We have an actual British Silicon Valley, it's just it's Cambridge not London so politicians and groovy startup types try to pretend it doesn't exist.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh yeah, very trivial, we’ll just get 500 mixed-technical users to do this then
https://sites.google.com/a/yarina.org/dougs-notes/home/mac-os-x/multiple-instances-of-chrome

Even if it was actually trivial, It’s still a bug in a supported google apps feature, which is all I was saying in the first place.

Sorry that was overly dismissive of me, but creating different user profiles in Chrome for different accounts is something anybody should be able to do. It's by far the easiest fix for anything that requires accounts to be "segregated" from each other.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google have a really lovely approach towards being logged in with multiple Google accounts at the same time. I've opened tickets against our G Suite sub before where new products were launching without any way to switch user, and was told they only support one logged in account at a time. That's sort of fine, but don't build an account picker into only half your apps.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Google have a really lovely approach towards being logged in with multiple Google accounts at the same time. I've opened tickets against our G Suite sub before where new products were launching without any way to switch user, and was told they only support one logged in account at a time. That's sort of fine, but don't build an account picker into only half your apps.

Yeah, it's very dumb, and you can sign into multiple accounts from multiple places but they only show up in weird ways sometimes and just ugh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sometimes I throw a /u/1 into the URL to see if that works, sometimes it's &u=1 at the end, lots of fun. Never works though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
When all else fails, imagine the user is the most incompetent idiot ever and start at page 1.

User: I got a new printer over the weekend. Its not printing. Help!
IT: ok. So you have two copies of the printer, one shows offline. Delete the offline, change the name on the online to match the old one (for industry reasons).... Is it printing?
User: Nope.
IT: ok, well its still showing a ghost image of the old one. Lets reboots and...
User: Still no.
IT: The printer has power, right?
User: Yup!
IT: And is it a small USB cord or an old style parallel port? (Its literally a dot matrix, so who loving knows)
User: USB.
IT: Ahh. Its trying to print to a LPT port. Lets just change it to the USB por.... there's no USB port on the list. Can you trace the USB port from the printer to the computer, please?
User: Its not plugged in.
IT: *mutes mic* MOTHERFUCKER *un-mute* Well we found the issue. Plug that in, please.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A Ticket Came in: Adventures installing a small program

User asks us to install a program that most managers use on her new laptop.

I install it and it just crashes constantly. I e-mail the dev who tells me "That's a really old version. Install this one."

I install the new one. It asks me where the database is. I tell it. It asks me where the database is again.. it's in a loop. :sigh:

I e-mail the dev about the error and what I did to cause it. He sends me a new build. Instead of asking me where the database is, it automatically assumes it is at "\\Mac\Google Drive\$company\$product\64Bit\$database.ext" and can't connect.

I mention this new issue. He gets confused because the path says 64 bit but I'm installing 32 bit. I explain the new issue. He sends me a 64 bit copy of the client.

Installing that tells me it needs 64 bit Access Runtime cause :shrug:

gently caress me, this 1 simple thing is gonna drive me to drink. It shouldn't be this drat hard to get a loving front end for an access database installed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ilkhan posted:

When all else fails, imagine the user is the most incompetent idiot ever and start at page 1.

User: I got a new printer over the weekend. Its not printing. Help!
IT: ok. So you have two copies of the printer, one shows offline. Delete the offline, change the name on the online to match the old one (for industry reasons).... Is it printing?
User: Nope.
IT: ok, well its still showing a ghost image of the old one. Lets reboots and...
User: Still no.
IT: The printer has power, right?
User: Yup!
IT: And is it a small USB cord or an old style parallel port? (Its literally a dot matrix, so who loving knows)
User: USB.
IT: Ahh. Its trying to print to a LPT port. Lets just change it to the USB por.... there's no USB port on the list. Can you trace the USB port from the printer to the computer, please?
User: Its not plugged in.
IT: *mutes mic* MOTHERFUCKER *un-mute* Well we found the issue. Plug that in, please.
Back in my Xbox days that was a depressingly common reason for "console won't turn on" ragefests. My record was a 45 minute rant in which the caller stated that the Egyptian civil war didn't matter and our call centre over there should have come into work anyway :smithicide:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Irritated Goat posted:

front end for an access database
Think I found the bug

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Irritated Goat posted:

gently caress me, this 1 simple thing is gonna drive me to drink. It shouldn't be this drat hard to get a loving front end for an access database installed.

I thankfully don't have to deal with it, but we have one database that's old enough to drink. It's been migrated though a few versions of Access. :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PirateDentist posted:

I thankfully don't have to deal with it, but we have one database that's old enough to drink. It's been migrated though a few versions of Access. :v:

http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/

And specifically: http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/access/

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

You know what's fun? When the software is a nebulous piece of poo poo and you can never reproduce errors when you use the remote software to help the user

God I hate this loving piece of garbage I work with every loving day, like holy mother of gently caress do I loathe it

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Shugojin posted:

You know what's fun? When the software is a nebulous piece of poo poo and you can never reproduce errors when you use the remote software to help the user

God I hate this loving piece of garbage I work with every loving day, like holy mother of gently caress do I loathe it
One time that kept happening and we just installed screen capture software on the machine. Nowadays we'd probably just use Bomgar's built-in screen recording (just leave the connection open) and ask them to use the machine normally until it happens again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arquinsiel posted:

Back in my Xbox days that was a depressingly common reason for "console won't turn on" ragefests. My record was a 45 minute rant in which the caller stated that the Egyptian civil war didn't matter and our call centre over there should have come into work anyway :smithicide:

XBox support seems like the worst job on the planet.

Take a toxic gaming community, and take their games away.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

XBox support seems like the worst job on the planet.

Take a toxic gaming community, and take their games away.
TBH the management was worse. You lived and died by your customer satisfaction surveys, or "CSATs". One day we arrived to find that overnight some fucker had printed out a big banner and stuck it above the door to the building. It said "CSAT macht frei". A co-worker was told that the company didn't believe his kid, who was born premature and very ill, even existed. One sales rep got the entire floor shut down for everyone to congratulate them on convincing some woman to keep her son's xbox live sub running. Dude had died in a motorbike crash the week before :negative:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH the management was worse. You lived and died by your customer satisfaction surveys, or "CSATs". One day we arrived to find that overnight some fucker had printed out a big banner and stuck it above the door to the building. It said "CSAT macht frei". A co-worker was told that the company didn't believe his kid, who was born premature and very ill, even existed. One sales rep got the entire floor shut down for everyone to congratulate them on convincing some woman to keep her son's xbox live sub running. Dude had died in a motorbike crash the week before :negative:

WTF

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arquinsiel posted:

There is no :yikes: big enough

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That was just the Dublin office, because we have some protections in law. If you were over in the USA though... well.

ETA: I'm pretty sure the banner was one of us peons taking the piss BTW, but it stayed up there for a whole day.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

klosterdev posted:

One time that kept happening and we just installed screen capture software on the machine. Nowadays we'd probably just use Bomgar's built-in screen recording (just leave the connection open) and ask them to use the machine normally until it happens again.

Yeah we don't have that, I just told them to call me if it happens again. I kinda think that what it was considering to not exist was later saved properly in the time before there was a free slot on our limited license for go to assist. Whatever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So. Cisco or HP for 50 access points across 3 sites connected via a private MPLS line and also DMVPN over internet tunnels? Cost isn't an issue.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

So. Cisco or HP for 50 access points across 3 sites connected via a private MPLS line and also DMVPN over internet tunnels? Cost isn't an issue.

If cost isn't an issue meraki.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're being demo'd Meraki next week. Then in July we're having HP do a demo. Seeing what others experience has been.

We currently have 50 Cisco AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 and they're getting pretty ancient.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

We're being demo'd Meraki next week. Then in July we're having HP do a demo. Seeing what others experience has been.

We currently have 50 Cisco AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 and they're getting pretty ancient.

They excel at doing multi-site configurations. Its definitely not a must have, but honestly its so far better than the next best thing that its not funny.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We're a manufacturing company, so one of the requirements is better wifi around a bunch of lovely manufacturing equipment that moves all the time. All we have now is MORE APs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

We're a manufacturing company, so one of the requirements is better wifi around a bunch of lovely manufacturing equipment that moves all the time. All we have now is MORE APs.

Eh, I have been in your place before and I fought and fought to not rely 100% of wifi networks for those types of devices. I would rather drop conduit from the warehouse ceiling and do ethernet for most situations but I lost that battle.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have an all Meraki environment, and while I could complain for hours about my MX-84, the AP's have never given me problems.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sickening posted:

Eh, I have been in your place before and I fought and fought to not rely 100% of wifi networks for those types of devices. I would rather drop conduit from the warehouse ceiling and do ethernet for most situations but I lost that battle.

We actually ended up running drops to every PC and printer on the shop floor. Wifi is more needed for engineers on their laptops diagnosing equipment. And Cisco wifi phones.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't even give a poo poo if Meraki APs aren't the best performing devices. I put them in, somebody else pays, and they never cause me any issues. Would recommend.

Used to use Aerohive but their support team and the professional services guys could never agree on which radio settings to use, and we just saw loads of problems with stability that our VAR tried to blame on not having shielded cabling. Chucked them in a box, put up Meraki MR42s, problems went away.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GreenNight posted:

FWIW, we're using a company called Xirrus for multi-site wifi, and it actually works pretty damned well.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Issue: Client appears to have carbon monoxide poisoning.

quote:

Issue: Client believes that her account has been compromised. She thinks someone is connected to her computer with a remote device and every time she receives an email from advising, client reports rapid scrolling and zooming on the attachments that advising sends her. Client is requesting a new ID# because she said that someone else set her Username, despite her saying that she remembers seeing the different Username selection drop down. She also says that during the application process, Admissions sent out her ID# for her account to her husband's email address, which she says she know has been compromised before. She says that she used her husband's email during the application process. I explained to her that that is the reason why her ID# was sent to that email address, was because she started the application with that email address. She feels that none of this issue has been taken seriously. "Some idiot won't leave me alone and is intercepting messages from groups I am trying to communicate with". She also states that she is not able to email out, she thinks there is some kind of filter from the account being compromised preventing her from emailing professors and she claims this is the reason why she is not able to register for classes and why she has apparently lost money from this issue.

She claims she has been hacked and the issue stems from Admissions sending her ID# to a compromised email account during the application process. She insists that she gets a new ID# and can create another non-compromised account. Although, it does sound like she has some viruses on her computer from the reports of rapid scrolling and zooming. I asked if she had antivirus software installed on her computer, she said she did. She went on to say that she has had malware on this device before, because she was not able to download SQL files from an online course. She said she got in a chat with her instructor and he began to download the files on her computer. She then proceeded to download and run those files on two other computers. She has texts and phone number from the instructor, which she says he contacted her from the Virgin Islands. The phone number she was contacted from is (###)###-####. Course is Advanced Database Management. She called the professor and she said that he remoted in to her computer and the "professor" said he was going to make her the moderator of the screen sharing, her computer then crashed. She now does not have admin access on one of the devices she ran the SQL program on. She then turned off her computer and was presented with boot device errors. Client then began to cry.

Client says she will come in in person to get her new ID#, she will not provide an alternate email address for me to put in the ticket.

Solution: Routing to Incident Response.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This is pure gold

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

Course is Advanced Database Management

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Danyull posted:

Issue: Client appears to have carbon monoxide poisoning.

:10bux: says her touchpad is on and something is interacting with it.

Also she is batshit crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

"professor"

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 14, 2018