Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

AndyElusive posted:

A lot of dumb negative opinions on the Witcher 3 combat.

You could adjust the difficulty on it if ever got too easy. There were multiple ways you could fight monster types. For PC gamers you could mod it to make it more complex.

If the fighting ever became boring to you then that's kind of on you.

No it's definitely on them but no one would expect a combat with the complexity of Bloodborne in a game like Witcher 3. When Horizon: Zero Dawn came out people were like "and gameplay is loving amazing too!" but yeeeeaaaah no it wasn't but it was good enough that it didn't make the game worse. It's the same with W3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I thoroughly enjoyed Witcher 3's combat. I also enjoyed W2's and W1's just fine. There's a decent variety of options to use, the monsters are interesting, and the fighting is fairly lore accurate to the books. It is not a combat game built around combat like the Soulsbourne games. Comparing Witcher 3 combat to those games is like bitching about Diablo 3's story not having the writing quality of an Obsidian/CDPR game: it's not supposed to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chaosapiant posted:

Since PC GTA V in first person is the closest game we have to this, anyone else playing that again while remaining erect for Cyberpunk? I am.

GTAV's such a shallow game. Beautiful, detailed world and enjoyable for what it is, but hopefully very different from CDPR's next RPG.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rinkles posted:

GTAV's such a shallow game. Beautiful, detailed world and enjoyable for what it is, but hopefully very different from CDPR's next RPG.

I'm just walking around at night blasting synthwave. And also playing my 4th playthrough of Witcher 3. And Deus Ex again. It's the closest I can get.

beats
Oct 21, 2010
I kind of enjoyed Witcher 3's combat on Death March. You had to at least pay attention and it could be pretty brutal in the early game. My only major gripes were with some of the monster hunts it becomes apparent there's a fair amount of janky hitboxes or getting stuck on terrain geometry and poo poo like that.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

chaosapiant posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Witcher 3's combat. I also enjoyed W2's and W1's just fine. There's a decent variety of options to use, the monsters are interesting, and the fighting is fairly lore accurate to the books. It is not a combat game built around combat like the Soulsbourne games. Comparing Witcher 3 combat to those games is like bitching about Diablo 3's story not having the writing quality of an Obsidian/CDPR game: it's not supposed to.

on the other hand I feel like diablo 3 is kind of a bad example here because it doesnt have any writing quality, even compared to the minimal writing of 1 and 2

what writing is there aggressively makes the game worse for everyone

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 14, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

A lot of dumb negative opinions on the Witcher 3 combat.

You could adjust the difficulty on it if ever got too easy. There were multiple ways you could fight monster types. For PC gamers you could mod it to make it more complex.

If the fighting ever became boring to you then that's kind of on you.

I played on death march from the start. After a while the only thing the higher difficulty did was make fights take far too long.

Kawabata posted:

No it's definitely on them but no one would expect a combat with the complexity of Bloodborne in a game like Witcher 3. When Horizon: Zero Dawn came out people were like "and gameplay is loving amazing too!" but yeeeeaaaah no it wasn't but it was good enough that it didn't make the game worse. It's the same with W3.

I would have enjoyed Witcher 3 a lot more if it had HZDs combat.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Witcher 3's combat.

quote:

Comparing Witcher 3 combat to those games is like bitching about Diablo 3's story not having the writing quality of an Obsidian/CDPR game: it's not supposed to.

do you seriously think there is anyone who would say they "thoroughly enjoyed" Diablo 3's writing

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Earwicker posted:

do you seriously think there is anyone who would say they "thoroughly enjoyed" Diablo 3's writing

here's an idea what about pretending that diablo 3 writing never existed

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Earwicker posted:

That's what you got from my post? My point was that those games were not valid comparisons, not that D3's writing was good.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I'm just walking around at night blasting synthwave. And also playing my 4th playthrough of Witcher 3. And Deus Ex again. It's the closest I can get.

I'll install and play Deus Ex HR again myself

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Andrast posted:

I played on death march from the start. After a while the only thing the higher difficulty did was make fights take far too long.

agreed, HZD had better gameplay overall but weaker character interactions

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

Is that the thing that I click through to get to the next round of looting?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If a game expects me to spends like 150 hours on it and a significant portion of those hours in combat I drat well expect the combat to be deep enough to be enjoyable for that time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

That's what you got from my post? My point was that those games were not valid comparisons, not that D3's writing was good.

it wouldnt make any sense complain about Diablo 3's writing compared to other games - not because it's "not supposed to be good" - but because its barely part of the game and mostly very easy to ignore

combat in Witcher 3 is something you kind of have to do all the time. its not a pure storytelling game, combat is one of the major aspects of gameplay. so if you find it irritating its probably going to bug you and its reasonable to critique it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Andrast posted:

If a expects me to spends like 150 hours on it and a significant portion of those hours in combat I drat well expect the combat to be enjoyable for that time.

No one disagrees. My original point was that Witcher 3's combat was enjoyable and it's unfair to hold it's combat to a standard set by games who are known for their combat.

In other words, just because a 3rd person rpg/action game doesn't have Soulsbourne or Platinum levels of combat does not make the combat poor or un-enjoyable. I enjoy games for what they are, not what they aren't.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

In other words, just because a 3rd person rpg/action game doesn't have Soulsbourne or Platinum levels of combat does not make the combat poor or un-enjoyable. I enjoy games for what they are, not what they aren't.

if a person doesn't enjoy the combat, even because of a point of comparison, that does make it unenjoyable for them, and it's ok for them to say so.

especially since combat is, in fact, a pretty major part of the game (unlike the writing in Diablo3)

I don't think Witcher3 has terrible combat but it does get repetative and boring, and sometimes the camera can get awkward. and I think the first person shooting in the new game may well be more fun!

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 14, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

No one disagrees. My original point was that Witcher 3's combat was enjoyable and it's unfair to hold it's combat to a standard set by games who are known for their combat.

I enjoys games for what they are too. To me, Witcher 3 was stellar in everything but the combat, which I found a boring slog. It doesn't really matter whether I compare the combat to soulsborne/platinum or not, that doesn't change the fact that I didn't enjoy the combat.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Earwicker posted:

if a person doesn't enjoy the combat, even because of a point of comparison, that does make it unenjoyable for them, and it's ok for them to say so.

especially since combat is, in fact, a pretty major part of the game (unlike the writing in Diablo3)

If a person doesn't enjoy the Witcher 3's combat, fair enough. I was stating that I did enjoy it and I felt it was an unfair comparison. Doom 2016 is my current gold standard for shooter gameplay. I do NOT expect Cyberpunk's shooting to be that good. I DO expect I'll enjoy it just the same and won't hold Doom's combat against it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the one thing that weirded me out in Witcher 3 was the shitloads of crafting schematics for armor/weapon you could find and 99% of them would be entirely worthless because it was always a better option to just make witcher gear and improve them over time

probably won't be an issue in Cyberpunk (is there even any crafting?)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

the one thing that weirded me out in Witcher 3 was the shitloads of crafting schematics for armor/weapon you could find and 99% of them would be entirely worthless because it was always a better option to just make witcher gear and improve them over time

probably won't be an issue in Cyberpunk (is there even any crafting?)

Ok, in addition to combat I disliked the leveled loot and crafting in W3 too.

But yeah, I doubt cyberpunk is using similar systems.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im so tired of crafting and would be happy to not see it in any more video games of any kind for a good while

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any decent novels in the Cyberpunk universe? Went to Amazon but didn't see much. One thing I love about CDPR is that they use worlds with established history, and I'd love to read some stories from this one.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
I hope I can mod the hell out of my weapons because it's easily one of my favorite parts of any game that lets me do that

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Please God, no more crafting.

I hope the guns in this feel solid and heavy. That's my number one concern.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

chaosapiant posted:

Are there any decent novels in the Cyberpunk universe? Went to Amazon but didn't see much. One thing I love about CDPR is that they use worlds with established history, and I'd love to read some stories from this one.

I haven't found any either. Your best bet is probably to pick up some of the PDF sourcebooks from drivethrurpg.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Agreed. I hope we get some of the retarded cyborg-stopper stuff in the endgame. A hard Miltech contract ending with a railgun or 30mm anti-tank rifle would be cool. Of course with some clause that will render the gun inoperable if used vs Miltech assets or some such.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not crafting per se, but how does the Goonmind feel about upgrading? Get some Cyberjumpylegs, jam in some "+5 jumpersprings" and have more jumpiness, poo poo like that? I like tweaking poo poo in an RPG.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Other than being a completely dogshit game, that's something I really enjoyed about Destiny 2. Destiny's guns felt and sounded really, really nice. CDPR's audio in TW3 was top notch, so I feel like they're going to be putting a lot of effort into the soundscape and items of this one.

chaosapiant posted:

Not crafting per se, but how does the Goonmind feel about upgrading? Get some Cyberjumpylegs, jam in some "+5 jumpersprings" and have more jumpiness, poo poo like that? I like tweaking poo poo in an RPG.

This basically has to happen. That's half the fun of cyberpunk, upgrading parts until you're mostly robot. I also think it would be a good way to scale up how close you are to being a Neo like character. You start out weak because you're mostly human and you upgrade yourself into a gahd drat powerhouse.

I know it was from a few pages back but that cowboy bepop reference has me so pumped.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

upgrades can be a lot of fun. i just dont want to have to go kill 7 tigers punks and 4 crocodiles hackers to in order to craft a holster and hold 5 more bullets for my pistol, that kind of poo poo.

the Witcher's crafting wasn't that bad really and crafting does make a certain amount of sense in rpg's, imo the worst culprits of this poo poo are Ubi action games like Far Cry and AC

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 14, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Destiny's guns felt and sounded really, really nice.

Bungie builds better gunfeel than anyone else in gaming. I'd love CDPR to somehow outsource the shooting mechanics to them!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Amid the gushing of praise, practically the only concern I've heard is that the shooting and its feedback didn't always look fantastic.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

PST posted:

Where did that come from?

Given they have another game coming out in 2021, per the last investor's call, it'll be really tight to do a post-release cycle for Cyberpunk and ramping up for a.n.other game at the same time. Not that it can't be done if it's early 2020 and then a late 2021 release for next game I guess.

Someone from the team mentioned it. I'm trying to find the exact quote.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Earwicker posted:

the Witcher's crafting wasn't that bad really and crafting does make a certain amount of sense in rpg's, imo the worst culprits of this poo poo are Ubi action games like Far Cry and AC

Yeah honestly the only thing I think it did poorly was (as mentioned above) the amount of absolute garbage you could craft. Just make some lore about how normal people armour is for chumps and only include witcher diagrams and potions please.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I felt like the Witcher gear should have been 85% optimal for everything, with crafted stuff better than that in narrow applications. They got some of the way there with alchemy, if I’m recalling correctly.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Yeah honestly the only thing I think it did poorly was (as mentioned above) the amount of absolute garbage you could craft.

A lot of the quest rewards and loot you could find was 100% garbage too.

"Geralt, thank you for helping my kids, here is this sword. It's a family heirloom and we've had it for generations"
Geralt: "I will treasure it forever" - throws it in stash with hundreds of other swords that aren't nearly as good as your Witcher Gear.

This was more the rule than the exception.

Here's another good one:

"I will craft you a sword that will cut a God!"
Geralt: "Sweet! Thanks" - Disassembles the sword for more crafting materials right in front of the guy

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 14, 2018

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Andrast posted:

HZD has supremely garbage hitboxes so no thanks.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't understand people. It's like the guy from earlier who hates walking during dialogue because of cinematics (and it being stupid in general) then don't walk during dialogue????

Same with Witcher combat, you love everything else but hate the combat --- then put it on easy and it won't even be a thing to waste time on. Just breeze through it and enjoy everything else.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't understand people. It's like the guy from earlier who hates walking during dialogue because of cinematics (and it being stupid in general) then don't walk during dialogue????

Same with Witcher combat, you love everything else but hate the combat --- then put it on easy and it won't even be a thing to waste time on. Just breeze through it and enjoy everything else.

or just use the mod that replaces all combat with a game of Gwent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Even on easy the game had a loving ton of combat to waste your time and the game was obviously built as having combat be a major part of the game. Just deleting combat from the game doesn't fix the issue.