Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't understand people.

Same with Witcher combat, you love everything else but hate the combat --- then put it on easy and it won't even be a thing to waste time on. Just breeze through it and enjoy everything else.

what don't you understand? to many people, if the combat part of the game is something you need to skip past as quickly as possible, that's a pretty good indication that it's bad or at least unenjoyable to them, and they would prefer if it were more fun rather than something to just breeze through. especially since its kind of a big part of the game.

I think its pretty understandable for people to be concerned about the combat in the new game, given CDPR's track record in that area, even if its going to be a different style, because it will still be a pretty major component of gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's first person and so utterly different to Witcher.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

chaosapiant posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Witcher 3's combat. I also enjoyed W2's and W1's just fine. There's a decent variety of options to use, the monsters are interesting, and the fighting is fairly lore accurate to the books. It is not a combat game built around combat like the Soulsbourne games. Comparing Witcher 3 combat to those games is like bitching about Diablo 3's story not having the writing quality of an Obsidian/CDPR game: it's not supposed to.

Bullshit. I'm tired of people giving RPGs a pass on having weak combat. It's a huge part of the game time and it should be actually fun not something you do to unlock the next piece of story content. Then again, I'm fine with just cutting combat or having non-combat routes, like Age of Decadence.

beats
Oct 21, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's first person and so utterly different to Witcher.

This. I think CDPR have earned some trust at this point right? The jumps from Witcher 1>2>3 have been loving gigantic.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ragg posted:

Bullshit. I'm tired of people giving RPGs a pass on having weak combat. It's a huge part of the game time and it should be actually fun not something you do to unlock the next piece of story content. Then again, I'm fine with just cutting combat or having non-combat routes, like Age of Decadence.

Nothing I said gave “weak combat” a pass. I explained that I “thoroughly enjoy” the combat and only felt it was unfair to compare it to Soulsborne games. I never said “it’s a good RPG so it’s acceptable to have poor/weak combat.”

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If it's a shooter i want the gun from Psycho-Pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cznLThZnIk8

CJ fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 14, 2018

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

chaosapiant posted:

Nothing I said gave “weak combat” a pass. I explained that I “thoroughly enjoy” the combat and only felt it was unfair to compare it to Soulsborne games. I never said “it’s a good RPG so it’s acceptable to have poor/weak combat.”

Well you're giving it a pass because you thoroughly enjoy mediocre combat. Also I disagree that it's unfair to compare it to the Soulsborne games. They should simply make better combat if it's going to be such a huge part of the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ragg posted:

Well you're giving it a pass because you thoroughly enjoy mediocre combat. Also I disagree that it's unfair to compare it to the Soulsborne games. They should simply make better combat if it's going to be such a huge part of the game.

He's not "giving it a pass" if he just genuinely enjoyed the combat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh poo poo console versions up for preorder

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1007315929280069632?s=21

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Andrast posted:

He's not "giving it a pass" if he just genuinely enjoyed the combat.

I was more thinking of "It is not a combat game built around combat like the Soulsbourne games" this is generally an excuse people give when they wanna justify why RPG combat sucks. But if someone enjoyed Witcher 3 combat for the whole duration of the game that just means they have poor taste which guess isn't quite the same.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If the game isn't going to do combat well why even have combat?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

This means less than nothing. They had Duke Nukem Forever available for preorder for like a decade.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ragg posted:

I was more thinking of "It is not a combat game built around combat like the Soulsbourne games" this is generally an excuse people give when they wanna justify why RPG combat sucks. But if someone enjoyed Witcher 3 combat for the whole duration of the game that just means they have poor taste which guess isn't quite the same.

Insinuating that a completely functional combat system is poor taste is mind boggling.

DOOM 2016 is pretty poor taste too. Divinity OS2 as well. Man, gently caress games with perfectly fine combat systems!

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Insinuating that a completely functional combat system is poor taste is kind boggling.

DOOM 2016 is pretty poor taste too. Divinity OS2 as well. Man, gently caress games with perfectly fine combat systems!

Nah, it's not very good and for the amount of fighting you have to do it doesn't hold up for the entire game. Couldn't stand playing the DLCs because of it. Thus, it's not good enough. And this is coming from a guy with a lot of tolerance for bad RPG combat built up thru the years.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ragg posted:

I have 450 hours in Witcher 3 across 3 playthroughs, with no mods to alter combat (aside from auto apply oils that I added over 200 hours in.) I do enjoy it. I do not have poor taste for liking it, nor do I think you have poor taste for not enjoying it as much.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ragg posted:

But if someone enjoyed Witcher 3 combat for the whole duration of the game that just means they have poor taste which guess isn't quite the same.

Witcher 3 combat isn't the memorable part of that game, but it also isn't the dumpster fire it's been made out to be. Personally, I found it fun to be a dismembering tornado of death or split bad guys in half lengthwise. Even if I didn't do those things because I went to the alchemy tree or something, I liked the idea that I could become an invincible death machine with potions and oils. I liked the whole part where you prepare a bit and exploit weaknesses. So.... I guess I have lovely taste or something.

But also this:

beats posted:

This. I think CDPR have earned some trust at this point right? The jumps from Witcher 1>2>3 have been loving gigantic.

The reason why I trust CDPR to do a good job is they have a clear track record of iterative improvement.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Ragg posted:

Couldn't stand playing the DLCs because of it. Thus, it's not good enough. And this is coming from a guy with a lot of tolerance for bad RPG combat built up thru the years.

*not good enough for you

It's entirely possible you actually have no tolerance for bad RPG combat and have unrealistic expectations.

chaosapiant posted:

I do not have poor taste for liking it, nor do I think you have poor taste for not enjoying it as much.

Combat styles in games are subjective. I personally do not enjoy or can stand dark souls combat, but that doesn't mean it's objectively terrible. I liked the combat in TW3, enough to not use potions other than health pots and Cat in all of my gametime. Sure it isn't perfect, but nothing is.

Also we're arguing about hypothetical combat in a game that isn't 3rd person that maybe 100 people on earth (other than CDPR staff) have seen for the first time in the last week or so.

EDIT: On that note, if people think TW3 combat is utter garbage for an RPG, how do they feel about the elder scrolls games :psyduck:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Claes Oldenburger posted:

EDIT: On that note, if people think TW3 combat is utter garbage for an RPG, how do they feel about the elder scrolls games :psyduck:

It's poo poo

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Complete garbage that is unsalvageable even if you throw every mod on the Nexus at it. And I don't think Witcher 3 combat is garbage, just not good enough, and I think there's every chance CP2077 will be better because they did it before.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Insinuating that a completely functional combat system is poor taste is mind boggling.

imo it's functional but it's not really fun. its ok at first but it gets boring fast and witcher is a long game.

it is indeed much better than Skyrim's combat but that's.. really not saying much

Ragg posted:

And I don't think Witcher 3 combat is garbage, just not good enough, and I think there's every chance CP2077 will be better because they did it before.

ya I agree with this

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Comrade Fakename posted:

As much as I’m really hyped for this game, I do wonder how real of a criticism of capitalism it can be, considering that as an RPG, inevitably the numbers will go up. By gameplay necessity you will end up bootstrapping your way up to the higher echelons of society.

Like, I love the Witcher 3, but that game starts out with Geralt as a member of an underclass who gets spat at on the street, but by the end you have an ungodly amount of cash, the most valuable armour and weapons in the world, you’re pals with most of the crowned heads and power players in the region, your adopted daughter is next in line to become empress, you are gifted a beautiful villa with a farm and attendant staff, and you basically own a castle in Kaer Morhen.

To be fair Geralt has been a cosmopolitan curiosity for decades at the outset of W3 and he stays as one. In Cyberpunk it sounds like you really as starting out as a nobody.

Panzeh posted:

I generally think the Witcher stories are at their worst when trying to comment on the fantasy racism/classism of their world because fantasy is not as clever as it seems in that way- in a way it very much accords with the beliefs of many racists- that people are fundamentally and actually different biologically.

Geralt is probably the worst part of the games also because he seems basically immune to the harshness of the world around him.

I feel bad that you missed out on how well Geralt, canonically played, articulates the injustice of the world and fights against it in his limited capacity. I thought the game was really conscious of social injustice in a way that other videogames or fantasy media aren't. He is a superhero who's socially and physically isolated from consequences because he's a vigilante with a heart of gold, but the suffering of common people and outgroups is immediately apparent during his movements through the world, and you get to do your best to lighten the misery of existence for those you encounter. It's not just trite window dressing like it is in Mass Effect or Dragon Age or something.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Comrade Fakename posted:

As much as I’m really hyped for this game, I do wonder how real of a criticism of capitalism it can be, considering that as an RPG, inevitably the numbers will go up. By gameplay necessity you will end up bootstrapping your way up to the higher echelons of society.

Like, I love the Witcher 3, but that game starts out with Geralt as a member of an underclass who gets spat at on the street, but by the end you have an ungodly amount of cash, the most valuable armour and weapons in the world, you’re pals with most of the crowned heads and power players in the region, your adopted daughter is next in line to become empress, you are gifted a beautiful villa with a farm and attendant staff, and you basically own a castle in Kaer Morhen.

:ssh: there are multiple endings

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
I'm not savvy enought about the genre to say for sure it fits the Cyberpunk label, but Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series is a nice high-tech/low-life read, the first one (altered carbon) especially.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I'm not savvy enought about the genre to say for sure it fits the Cyberpunk label, but Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series is a nice high-tech/low-life read, the first one (altered carbon) especially.

I like the ninja lady in the show also it has space Yakuza

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hey someone said you can change the combat animations to not be poo poo in wither 3 where the gently caress is that option im looking in the gameplay options on the main menu and i dont see it did you lie

yeah this seems like bullshit i've checked all the options in game and at the main menu and I don't see it. They have the movement controls thing but that doesn't change the combat animations. it must be a mod

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 14, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

The reason why I trust CDPR to do a good job is they have a clear track record of iterative improvement.

Gwent standalone broke the streak :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Doorknob Slobber posted:

hey someone said you can change the combat animations to not be poo poo in wither 3 where the gently caress is that option im looking in the gameplay options on the main menu and i dont see it did you lie

yeah this seems like bullshit i've checked all the options in game and at the main menu and I don't see it. They have the movement controls thing but that doesn't change the combat animations. it must be a mod

This probably should be in the Witcher Thread, but I believe the setting you're looking for is called "movement style" under gameplay and you want to change it from standard to alternative.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Boy that show had a great five episodes and a bad five episodes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont expect a lot of witcher stuff in this game other than the odd reference since it's a completely different world by completely different authors, but i do expect to roll into an ultatek virtual future cyber arcade and sit down to play a televised match of digital gwent against a remote team of professional south korean gwent champions

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Taintrunner posted:

The show has a great cyberpunk, dripy pipes aesthetic, but apparently it did a great disservice to the source material. Worth it for the best AI sidekick in years: Poe is the best!

Video Game Aspie
Dec 29, 2011

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 9 years!)

So, apparently the E3 floor demo only has 3 combat roles (Netrunner, Techie, Solo) instead of the 12 that the tabletop has. I'm beginning to think this is just going to be just a very combat centric first person shooter and I'm not gonna be able to make Spider Jerusalem or Johnny Silverhand. 5 years of hype down the drain :negative:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

nopantsjack posted:

nah W3 has a genuine issue with its sword combat. Geralt has two distinct attack types with his sword. A fast close range attack and a slow gap-closing leap. The problem comes from the fact you can't choose which one he does, the game decides itself.

The game-logic that decides this is all hosed up though and presumably its because it decides on the enemy's position at an awkward time so if you attack while an enemy retreats Geralt will do a short range attack and miss because the game hasn't realised the enemy is further away now. If an enemy closes in towards you Geralt will do the slow jump attack and get hit before it finishes because the game hasn't realised the enemy is closer. To be clearer this isnt because you attack too soon and would whiff even if it was controlled manually or whatever, this will happen long after you yourself realise which direction the enemy is moving but they havent passed some critical distance threshold for the game to let you do the right attack.

I was looking into mods to solve it kinda like the W2 combat overhaul but apparently nobody figured out how to fix it.

Witcher 3 is a fantastic game but the basic sword combat is fundamentally flawed. Not that it matters cause eventually you unlock the whirlwind attack and just hold down that button until every enemy in the game is dead.

Here's the thing though, these complaints over animation literally don't matter to the combat system at all. You can play the game on the hardest difficulty without worrying in the slightest about getting hit errantly because of this poo poo. The game's loving easy very quickly and only even remotely difficult if you house rule stuff for yourself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Gwent standalone broke the streak :smith:

Hey they weren't happy with the result and they're basically starting from scratch instead of coasting on the goodwill of the loyal players. That's something.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This probably should be in the Witcher Thread, but I believe the setting you're looking for is called "movement style" under gameplay and you want to change it from standard to alternative.

my understanding is that this doesn't really change combat animations at all, it just changes geralt's walking/running to be more gta style than driving a rickety cart style. It was added in patch 1.07 like right after the game was released because controlling geralt, especially in cramped indoors was loving annoying without it

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

To be fair, melee combat is very rarely done particularly well. Fortunately first person gun combat is usually done much better, so I have high hopes for the quality of the combat in CP77

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Video Game Aspie posted:

So, apparently the E3 floor demo only has 3 combat roles (Netrunner, Techie, Solo) instead of the 12 that the tabletop has. I'm beginning to think this is just going to be just a very combat centric first person shooter and I'm not gonna be able to make Spider Jerusalem or Johnny Silverhand. 5 years of hype down the drain :negative:

Not just the floor demo, they've been upfront that Runner, Solo, and Techie are the only three skill trees in the game and that many of the other classes will feature as NPCs, but nothing you can play as.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Video Game Aspie posted:

Word? The floor demo doesn't have all the classes released yet? You know, like a demo. The thing which showcases a few features...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Glenn Quebec posted:

Word? The floor demo doesn't have all the classes released yet? You know, like a demo. The thing which showcases a few features...

It’s not just the demo, they’ve said explicitly that those are the 3 PC roles.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Hey they weren't happy with the result and they're basically starting from scratch instead of coasting on the goodwill of the loyal players. That's something.

Wait, they rebooted Gwent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wait, they rebooted Gwent?

https://playgwent.com/en/news/18951/gwent-homecoming-see-whats-next-for-gwent

They're rebooting. Back in April, they were basically like "Yeah, this isn't working, you're right, we're gonna take about six months to do a full overhaul and try and get it right this time."