Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

succ posted:

apparently the U.S. capital is in Alaska now

also there are 13 episodes for this season, im sure it will end with the birth.

The preview for next week says otherwise.

Also it's insanely funny to me that the wife lays in bed while the Handmaids gives birth. Good lord they play mommy like little kids.

E: rewatching this episode I think June is realizing she's going to have to leave the baby behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Well, she just lost the nursing time, so has a lot less time now to figure out how to get herself and the baby away. She's covering all the bases trying to set up protection for the baby if it doesn't work out. Seems like she's going to try once more to make a break for it before the birth. Better to do it while she's still got the baby safe inside and less likely to get shot down ... :/

If she does try and subsequently gets caught again, I don't see how they'd let her live post- birth. It has to go differently this time, will be interesting to see how the show handles it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cocoavalley posted:

If she does try and subsequently gets caught again, I don't see how they'd let her live post- birth. It has to go differently this time, will be interesting to see how the show handles it.

Now that they brought back some characters, June can escape to Canada and they can keep characters in Gilead.

"Well Mr. Waterford, we can't find her this time, so here's your new handmaid, Alexis Bleidel."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

E: rewatching this episode I think June is realizing she's going to have to leave the baby behind.

What makes you say that?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

What makes you say that?

The way she's asking Lydia and the cook lady to protect the baby and look after it. I dunno I get the feeling that she's realizing she won't be able to bring the baby.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
From the trailer:

Soooooo I don’t think the commander’s surprise for June is going to be a nice one and I’m guessing it’s quite possibly because of Eden.

Also FYI for non-Torontonians, the botanical garden they took Serena to is Allen Gardens, which terminally smells like piss and human excrement from years of homeless people using it as toilet. I prefer to think that the location choice was another move to dunk on the Waterfords.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Matt Zerella posted:

The way she's asking Lydia and the cook lady to protect the baby and look after it. I dunno I get the feeling that she's realizing she won't be able to bring the baby.

Well that was the whole point of the entire episode until the end... The whole inner monologue at the end made it as clear as possible... she DID think the would have to leave the baby behind, until finding out that her husband and Moira are okay gave her some hope.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

DasNeonLicht posted:

I think the scene with the American fed (what exactly was his job?) was my favorite.

You've gotta hand it to Serena, "I'm afraid I didn't pack for the beach" was pretty :newlol:

I also liked this extremely :911: moment

:patriot:

Also, why was Serena so sure Tuello was a reporter? Just naturally suspicious abroad, or did I miss some detail about him that gave him away?

Edit: "America the Beautiful" was a bit much, though. Couldn't stop thinking of that awful ending to The Deer Hunter

See this kind of stuff was the real cowardice that I disliked in the premise of the show. By portraying Gilead as another place rather than as an actual U.S.A. it becomes easier to disassociate with it. Yeah, it's made up from the ashes of a coup that happened in the U.S. but this episode showed that they still want you to think of the U.S. as this place that wouldn't go for this poo poo.

Let's ask ourselves right now, if all the crazy right-wing conservative incel nutjobs took over this country in a military coup, is there any loving chance they'd rename the country? gently caress no, they wouldn't. Liberals are not the ones who plaster the American flag over all things.

I did like the episode overall, however the letters being the things that did real damage is just dumb though when you have living people constantly fleeing the country who are actually there to put a face on the tragedy. It's like, let's imagine that all these foreign refugees who come to our country were telling the same story about an oppressive regime ruining their country, would a pile of letters telling people how awful it is there suddenly make their story more believable?

I think my favorite part of the episode was Waterford complaining about the protestors as the country "not being able to control their own people". Well played on the week of yet more "shut protestors up" bullshit.

I can't wait to see how they write Moss' character out of not being offed(pun intended) after she gives birth. The best storyline would be that she's taken out back and shot but before that, gets a moment with Bledel's character to pass the torch and ask her to get out and take Moss' kid with her. Then next season being about Bledel's character trying to figure out how to do that. Nick is dead for sure though.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I don't get why the letters turned people against Gilead. I'm pretty sure Moira, and a lot of other refugees have told these stories already. So why did those letters tip the scale?

Nick, you are a terrible husband. Start treating Eden as a human being, will you? Eden is doing her best under the circumstances, try being thankful for her efforts once in a while for a start.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

BattyKiara posted:

I don't get why the letters turned people against Gilead. I'm pretty sure Moira, and a lot of other refugees have told these stories already. So why did those letters tip the scale?

Nick, you are a terrible husband. Start treating Eden as a human being, will you? Eden is doing her best under the circumstances, try being thankful for her efforts once in a while for a start.

yeah the nick/eden storyline is understandably very gross but idk you know she's totally indoctrinated and potentially peeped at your light treason so at least fake piousness dude

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BattyKiara posted:

Volume and throughput maybe? Kind of like how the "casting couch" was an open secret and even a punchline but when a ton of women come out at once it turns up the heat and you actually have to make at least some men face consequences.

quote:

Yeah. Doing the bare minimum boning of his child bride so not to be strung up by the system he's trying to mitigate his complicity in is good. But he doesn't gotta be mean to her. Like a "thanks" and a goodbye hug doesn't make what he's made to do worse.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angrymantium posted:

I never really feel like this show tries to get the viewer to sympathize with Serena so much as it explores how much someone like that would actually hate living in Gilead. She does something horrendous in just about every episode, so any fleeting moment of humanity for her character is tempered with a reminder thar she's basically evil right down to her core, just without the kind of power she thought she'd be wielding. The episode where she did writing work with June and it's "we could be colleagues" line was a callback to when the handmaids were reminiscing about the ice cream shop, and Serena talked about wondering if they were ever there at the same time...which was met with silence from the handmaids.

Especially given how much the pre-Gilead centrists are poo poo on in the show, I don't get the "both sides" message at all. People held up signs with RESIST when Serena spoke at that college and they got run over by the Gilead machine anyway because they weren't treating that movement like the imminent threat it really was. If anything the show is telling the viewer that if facists aren't stomped on quick they'll worm their way into power one way or another.

pretty on point for how spineless the current #resist people are right now irl

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kanine posted:

"We won't rest until a DEMOCRAT is in charge of Gilead. Then we'll assume everything is fine."

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BattyKiara posted:

yeah that was a "huh?" moment for me too. they have pictures and probably videos of mass executions, witness reports about how the handmaidens are tortured, raped and executed and probably a lot of other refugees that can tell horror stories about bodies hanging in the street, work/death camps and mass executions of gay people.

but a stack of letters on the internet was way too much for the canadian government.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

"We won't rest until a DEMOCRAT is in charge of Gilead. Then we'll assume everything is fine."

hire :clap: more :clap: female :clap: armed :clap: guards

The functioning of gilead and little details like them giving serena pictures to respect her culture are some of my favorite parts of this show

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlbear Camus posted:

:emptyquote:

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
The House is too much of an important setting for the series, I doubt they will allow June to leave it. Probably circumstances will make her captors rethink sending her away, probably seeing all those free women in Canada will mellow them out or something.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just got caught up with this season after putting it off for a long time. What a drastic shift in quality there's been this season.

The first four episodes were dismal and boring, since it was obvious from the beginning that June wasn't going to make it out, and none of the exposition of Gilead in those episodes was interesting. When the story isn't moving forward at a good pace in a compelling way, all the gloominess makes this show almost unwatchable. It was a serious slog to get through, but once it got to the mass wedding my attention was drawn in again. Now I'm back completely, even if the whole post-bombing plotline of June and Serena becoming best buds and then that other commander moving in was a little rushed.

I really wish that they had had June re-captured in the second episode, made the bombing a few episodes earlier, and then given more time for actual interesting developments. At any rate, I'm glad that we have 13 episodes this season, but the first part of the season demonstrated that they're really going to have to shake things up if they want to do a third season and keep it interesting.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Kanine posted:

Yeah that's what I mean, which is why I feel like the show is mocking centrists rather than esposuing the viewpoint that June and Serena really should work together or whatever.

Edit: same with the gay professor that talked about his boyfriend calling him a fascist collaborator for just laying low and not fighting back, they hung him the next day. It's been weird going through this thread and seeing the show be described as "centrist" when this season is so explicitly saying that fascist forces in society will reshape society if they aren't stopped on early. Add that onto Waterford getting out of his limo and attacking the lying media and it's hard to imagine the parallels being any more blatant.

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 15, 2018

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
This is the kind of thinking we need to get there, right?

"Jef Sessions cites bible to justify separating kids from their parents at the border"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sessions-cites-bible-to-justify-separating-kids-from-parents-at-the-border-2018-06-14

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Angrymantium posted:

I never really feel like this show tries to get the viewer to sympathize with Serena so much as it explores how much someone like that would actually hate living in Gilead. She does something horrendous in just about every episode, so any fleeting moment of humanity for her character is tempered with a reminder thar she's basically evil right down to her core, just without the kind of power she thought she'd be wielding.
Yeah, I don't think they ever actually make her sympathetic because every time she suffers some of the consequences of living in this society she created she almost immediately demonstrates that she's still 100% on board with the concept. And even when she's not happy with some aspect of Gilead she still expects everyone else to be.

veni veni veni posted:

That scene was awesome because Fred's coward remark was so nonsensical
It makes sense if he thinks that the Canadians secretly agree with him and are just giving way to public pressure. And really, why were they meeting with him if they really do think Gilead's as terrible as it so obviously is? It's not like they don't know.

The nonsensical bit was, as others have pointed out, the letters making any kind of difference.

PaybackJack posted:

See this kind of stuff was the real cowardice that I disliked in the premise of the show. By portraying Gilead as another place rather than as an actual U.S.A. it becomes easier to disassociate with it. Yeah, it's made up from the ashes of a coup that happened in the U.S. but this episode showed that they still want you to think of the U.S. as this place that wouldn't go for this poo poo.
Even within the show's world, acknowledging "Gilead" as a place distinct from the USA is buying into their framing of the story. They claim that they're a new country because they want to tell the story of how America was weak and sinful and Gilead was born pure and good, but whatever remains of the US government should be pushing the line that Gilead is still part of America, it's just American territory being held by traitors as the southern states were during the first civil war.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ahahaha at Serena being humiliated with that picture schedule and by her guide dunking on her. Being out in the real world and seeing grown ups again after such a long time seriously hosed her up. Her entire world looks like some lovely, sad LARP that went on for way to long in comparison :perfect:

datajugend posted:

yeah that was a "huh?" moment for me too. they have pictures and probably videos of mass executions, witness reports about how the handmaidens are tortured, raped and executed and probably a lot of other refugees that can tell horror stories about bodies hanging in the street, work/death camps and mass executions of gay people.

but a stack of letters on the internet was way too much for the canadian government.

Yeah, that part doesn't make much sense. I think every time the writers go off book they introduce some plot holes and inconsistencies like that. Another thing I noticed was that Gilead's most important asset in the book and S1 were the Handmaid's/fertile women. But since they introduced the plot point that the woman are actually fertile and it's just the men, the entire setting makes no sense. Something so obvious would be established by medical science almost immediately and would not lead to a massive population decline. Artificial insemination and sperm banks could deal with that. It make no sense.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The letters could of worked if it was more time, like they showed it late one night Moira etc, looking at the letters and first thing the next morning theres nationwide protests like was the entire Canadian population awake in the middle of the night f5ing for some random letters?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Another thing I noticed was that Gilead's most important asset in the book and S1 were the Handmaid's/fertile women. But since they introduced the plot point that the woman are actually fertile and it's just the men, the entire setting makes no sense.
I didn't read it as it being only men, just that it's known that Gilead solely blames women when it's actually just as often the men. It doesn't make sense either way though. Gilead is actively sabotaging its own efforts to increase its population by not testing men and by abusing fertile women, leading to poor health, suicide, and escape attempts. Every other country should be doing better than Gilead is. If Gilead's most valuable resource is fertile women then Gilead has nothing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Every other country should be doing better than Gilead is. If Gilead's most valuable resource is fertile women then Gilead has nothing.

I always imagined that the infertility was caused by some environmental contamination (like xenoestrogens), something that developed countries have a lot less of thank to better regulation, enforcement and moving all dirty industry to developing countries. The rich countries in Europe or Asia might have some fertile women left too, but they are not exporting them by the pound in freight trains like Gilead does.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's also possible the American agent was gilding the lilly to get her to defect with a half or un-truth.

Especially since Serena's personal infertility comes from a 360 noscope wombshot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's also possible the American agent was gilding the lilly to get her to defect with a half or un-truth.

Especially since Serena's personal infertility comes from a 360 noscope wombshot.

I want sereena to be trapped in gilead. She deserves no redemption.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Matt Zerella posted:

I want sereena to be trapped in gilead. She deserves no redemption.

I'm hoping she gets shipped off to the colonies like Marisa Tomei was. She can put her gardening skills to good use!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Crow Jane posted:

I'm hoping she gets shipped off to the colonies like Marisa Tomei was. She can put her gardening skills to good use!

I'm torn between this and seeing her hanging from the wall.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm torn between this and seeing her hanging from the wall.

Hanging's too quick for her. Plus Yvonne Strahovski is really, really good in the role, as much as I hate the character I'd still kind of miss her.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The guy who was trying to help Serena get out of Gilead was a major hottie. I would have taken the opportunity ASAP.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The scene where the guy offers to get Serena out of her abusive cult made me laugh a bit considering this is a show where the star is a Scientologist.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Elisabeth Moss being a Scientologist is so very disappointing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PostNouveau posted:

Arguably been great for her career though because whoever is picking her roles and adjusting scripts for her is doing some 90s-2000 Julia Roberts level work.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If it makes it any better (it doesn't, really), she was born into Scientology, she didn't convert later in life like Tom Cruise or whoever.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Women should believe the same things I believe.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Here we go

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

People can believe in whatever weird religion they want to. Scientology isn't a religion, it's a cult which has demonstrably and provably hurt people and ruined their lives over such heinous offenses as "wanting to leave the church".

Imagine using your low-effort troll in response to someone saying "It's so disappointing that Elizabeth Moss is a White Supremacist."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lol:

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

As a feminist I believe that Scientology is actually good because some Scientologists are women. I think that's how feminism works, right?

• Locked thread