Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

PriorMarcus posted:

She's probably going to be wrecked with guilt over the disaster she causes.

I doubt she’ll fire the grenade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That guy gets turned into a smoothie so I doubt it. Maybe the squad commander, he had a name in the book.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wow, I've forgotten a LOT of this book. I wonder if I should check out of this thread until the current arc is over with. I think I kinda lumped together the corporate mercs on slug planet with a lot of the Belter stuff in this book. In my defense, I did churn through the novels in a week, and I remember being SUPER bored with all the Melba and Ashford stuff when I just wanted to find out what was happening with the slow zone and the space station. I should do a reread, I think I'd appreciate it a lot more when the central mystery isn't burning a hole in the back of my brain.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I don't like how they're making me like Ashford. I'm also worried about who they're going to waste to up the stakes now that Sam is a composite. I *think* also composite Michio "Drummer* Pa is safe but that just leaves Diogo as a non-extra.:ohdear:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

404notfound posted:

I had to google this, and apparently I've been missing out on a tasty-sounding dessert

Holy poo poo, I thought it was just a cute name that Amos chose

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

404notfound posted:

I had to google this, and apparently I've been missing out on a tasty-sounding dessert

This deserved to be one post later in the thread... :psyboom:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Professor Shark posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought it was just a cute name that Amos chose

Fuckin' same. Weird reference for Amos to make, but I guess he didn't always work in space.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

According to imdb, that's the title of episode 10. There's 13 apparently.

Phi230 posted:

There are 3 more episodes after Dandelion Sky

...Can I claim work stress for my failure to use the internet in this case?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really hope we get to see Bobbie ride the millercrab to space war

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

zeal posted:

i really hope we get to see Bobbie ride the millercrab to space war

As long as the Millercrab keeps the hat.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Anyone else a little disappointed we didn't get to see the giant splart all over the inside of the UN ship as the episode cliffhanger? What we got was great, though, I was just hoping to get that tonight. It took me a minute to realize why they were spending so much time with Anna and that officer that killed himself, and then welp. She'll get plenty of opportunity to comfort people pretty soon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I do not at all care for the changes to the ring station. Way less cool but I'm guessing they were running out of cash.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Grand Fromage posted:

I do not at all care for the changes to the ring station. Way less cool but I'm guessing they were running out of cash.

AG gate was the first Expanse book I read so I don't remember much of it. What'd they change?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It was a lot bigger area he traversed, and the whole thing was organic rather than this one tiny little room of cheap LEDs. And there were the big robot spidercrabs that eat the marine and turn him into goo to fix the floor.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Anyone else a little disappointed we didn't get to see the giant splart all over the inside of the UN ship as the episode cliffhanger? What we got was great, though, I was just hoping to get that tonight. It took me a minute to realize why they were spending so much time with Anna and that officer that killed himself, and then welp. She'll get plenty of opportunity to comfort people pretty soon.

The extended preview for next week's episode might be what you're looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVsEC9IbG7k

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Grand Fromage posted:

It was a lot bigger area he traversed, and the whole thing was organic rather than this one tiny little room of cheap LEDs. And there were the big robot spidercrabs that eat the marine and turn him into goo to fix the floor.

Yeah. I missed all of this. It felt tiny and unimpressive.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I hope they find the budget for Miller-crab at least if that moment ever comes up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

uber_stoat posted:

I hope they find the budget for Miller-crab at least if that moment ever comes up.

I just want them to settle on a consistent look for Protomolecule tech. It's much better as described in the book and much more generic in the show. About the only thing they got right was the Venus ship.

I didn't mind the lack of body horror for Eros either but not having any of it at all kind of obscured the real horror of the place and Miller's journey.

Meanwhile this angular blue metal they have now I'm the ring base is just so against type.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I really want to say this in the other thread, but being a known book-reader I can't even speculate off-the-page in there:

I really hope, since they changed the characters anyways, that they subvert expectations and Ashford doesn't mutiny, but instead he and Drummer have to work together to save the ship.

It would also be a nice foil to the mutiny on the Agatha King, seeing the Belters as ultimately having stronger discipline than the Inners. I know that undoes some of the later plot, but it would probably be worth it.

PriorMarcus posted:

I just want them to settle on a consistent look for Protomolecule tech. It's much better as described in the book and much more generic in the show. About the only thing they got right was the Venus ship.

I didn't mind the lack of body horror for Eros either but not having any of it at all kind of obscured the real horror of the place and Miller's journey.

Meanwhile this angular blue metal they have now I'm the ring base is just so against type.

It has to be blue: Mao picked control. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Someone remind me how all the coups and counter‐coups went down.

That was not the high point of the book.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I really want to say this in the other thread, but being a known book-reader I can't even speculate off-the-page in there:

I really hope, since they changed the characters anyways, that they subvert expectations and Ashford doesn't mutiny, but instead he and Drummer have to work together to save the ship.

It would also be a nice foil to the mutiny on the Agatha King, seeing the Belters as ultimately having stronger discipline than the Inners. I know that undoes some of the later plot, but it would probably be worth it.

Yeah, I feel like Drummer lampshading Ashford's betrayal is a hint from the writers that that's not how things are going to go down. It would be nice to see the shifty guy turn out to be decent after all.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That'd be wild, and a compelling plot that throws the book readers for a loop. Instead of having a character becoming a total rear end in a top hat that you want to see killed and who comes within a hair of destroying all of humanity out of their fear of the unknown, Ashford could be the devil on Drummer's shoulder who makes sure that there isn't an actual mutiny, but who still has the support of lots of the hardcore OPA people on the ship and who convinces her that it's the right call to attack the center station. You miss out on a high-stakes battle as basically half the Behemoth tries to kill the other half, and various Martian and U.N. people are caught up in that as I recall, but it'd give Drummer a hell of an arc if she finds out she was almost talked into killing literally everyone, and then moves into the Michio Pa position in later books to boot. Going from almost killing everyone to effectively being the closest thing to a leader of all of humanity after it's spread out (aside from those Laconian rascals) is a real rollercoaster ride that it'd be fun to see Drummer take.

Of course, while that'd be a subversion of the expected and lead to strong character beats it's far from the most dramatic situation, like I think we still end up with a Behemoth bloodbath no matter what. Maybe it's a Martian takeover of the Behemoth instead and their plan is to commlaser the station, they've been shown as the jarhead trigger-happy people enough that it's believable and alien tech has already nearly wiped out Mars once. Earth could sign up for that plan too and we get the old school inners vs. belt battle. Tensions are going to be so high now that everyone's ships got rattled into hyper slo-mo that we gotta see a mini-war break out here between some factions.

It should be fun no matter what since I really liked book 3 so if they just follow that general plot that's cool, and if they remix it I trust the show to make that cool too. Now that it's been renewed I hope they didn't end it with essentially all of book 3 resolved by the end of the season since I feel like that compresses things a lot more than they have to, but I can hardly blame them if they took the infinitely safer approach and did a traditional cliffhanger that also would have worked as the best series finale short of running through at least book 6.

Dubar posted:

The extended preview for next week's episode might be what you're looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVsEC9IbG7k

Oof, yeah they managed to top that spooky as hell floating-corpse bonanza on the Agatha King already, that is way better, sadder, spookier, gorier, etc. than I ever expected, and really captures the feel of what just went down better than the book did as I recall. I'm sure the book went into more detail than this and it's just my bad memory again, but all I remember is Miller saying something along the lines of "that marine just got a lot of people killed because it taught the station that things had to be slowed down to grenade speed"

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 15, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Here's a thought: Instead of Ashford leading a mutiny it's young hotheads like Diogo. Ashford could either be encouraging them on the dl so he can stop them and play the hero, or he's legit not interest in taking Drummer's place and ends up helping her stop them because he's serious about turning belters into a more serious military force. All his challenges to Drummer's authority could just end up being because he's an old pirate who's used to being in charge.

It's really nice watching an adaptation that has the balls to change things enough that we really can't be sure about this stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

My prediction is that Ashford will end up replacing Drummer as captain.

Of the paths there, I think the likeliest is that he accepts the helm after a mutiny that he feeds but does not directly effect.

His actions and attitudes have already undermined Drummer’s leadership. I think he’s a smart guy, so he must be doing it intentionally.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

bloom posted:

Here's a thought: Instead of Ashford leading a mutiny it's young hotheads like Diogo. Ashford could either be encouraging them on the dl so he can stop them and play the hero, or he's legit not interest in taking Drummer's place and ends up helping her stop them because he's serious about turning belters into a more serious military force. All his challenges to Drummer's authority could just end up being because he's an old pirate who's used to being in charge.

It's really nice watching an adaptation that has the balls to change things enough that we really can't be sure about this stuff.

I could deal with a flashback to Daws giving Ashford a version of the speech that Johnson gave Bull... I know you're a better captain but I need you to take a XO roll because of politics, I trust you, make this work.

Monkeys and Microwaves? YESSSS! One of my favorite passages of all the books. I hope we can come back to it and get the full version later, but damm that was great placement.

There going to have to do some 'splaining about what Holden saw when he "completed the circuit". I've often wondered how they would do that on film. Really hard adaption there.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm really said Dawes isn't in this season because I just saw Harris on The Terror and he is such a phenomenal actor...
:smith:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He gonna show up in final episode in eskimo parka floating in space

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
His agent reaches out 113 times a second.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Remind me... The station was blowing up star systems to protect it from an outside threat, right?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Combat Pretzel posted:

Remind me... The station was blowing up star systems to protect it from an outside threat, right?

Yeah, trying to stop the spread of ... something.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Toast Museum posted:

The VoidBullet on Slugworld was one of The Enemy's weapons...really glad we get to see their visual take on this sequence!

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

Toast Museum posted:

We saw a little bit in snippets. Plus that weird light orb thing. I would imagine we learn quite a bit more in TR.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Toast Museum posted:

That swirling blue/turquoise stuff in that first gate in holden's vision? Or that may just be more protomolecule.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm really looking forward to the show's representation of a gate jump gone wrong.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

ATP_Power posted:

I'm really looking forward to the show's representation of a gate jump gone wrong.

Yeah, the whole "seeing everything" and then something coming for them is going to be difficult to portray. But they did pretty good with the acid trip in the nucleus at least, so I have decent hopes.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I hope we get a nice shout-out to Bull with Broken Drummer in a mech suit trying to stop Ashford from attacking the center station, presumably after Naomi or Holden gets her on board with that being a really bad idea. I'd also legitimately enjoy him being talked down from pressing the proverbial button and just cedeing control of the ship back to her, maybe have all the crazy riot-style violence leading up to it but ultimately he can still be talked down by her and her alone, and he just calls for a shipwide surrender and powers down the beam. I like the direction they've taken with the character too much to want to see him dead, even if he's not really a part of the show after this whole ring mess is sorted out.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm really interested to see where they're going with Ashford. It's most definitely not the panicky idiot from the book.

My guess is still the one I posted earlier. It'll be the younger OPA guys who try to do something dumb. Giving medical aid to inners might not sit well with them even though it's obviously a great political move and if Ashford hands command back to Drummer when she recovers some idiots might decide he's gone soft.

Would give everyone's favorite rear end-crusher something to do other than stand around as well. Although :rip: him if it goes that way because going against both Drummer and Ashford is suicide.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The show Ashford is waaaaay better than the books. He's actually interesting instead of a dumb panicky idiot.

That'd be the way to do it. I actually wondered if they were going to hint at it with Diogo staring intently while Ashford invited everyone on board. I can see them having the young belters go "He's gone soft AND he let all these inners on our ship"

But the description for next week's episode hints it'll be Ashford. We'll see!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ashford will start a fuss and James Holden will escape yet again to cause more havoc. He can't keep getting away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As long as they don't have Drummer blow herself up I'm okay with whatever.

Also I saw the authors confirm that Cibola Burn will be happening next season, they aren't skipping anything. They didn't say specifics about how it'll be handled or length but someone asked if they'd skip it and they were like "uh no nothing else makes sense if we did that" so.

• Locked thread