Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Thanos's belief in callously sacrificing everyone he has to for "the greater good", even a loved one, puts him at direct ideological odds with the heroes who generally believe in self-sacrifice and adamantly refuse to sacrifice others, especially their friends and loved ones. They are willing to sacrifice themselves if necessary but don't believe anybody else should be forced to make that decision. Thanos thinks he understands the feeling of having to sacrifice someone you love when in reality Wanda and Quill only resort to that when they are forced to do it (by Thanos). Thanos did have a choice.

Comic book Thanos is crazy and wants to impress his girlfriend because he is cartoon crazy man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Actually Infinity War is a sequel to Jurassic Park you loving SIMPLETON

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

look if you can't avoid spoilers on a topic that isn't really super relevant to the thread then idk what else to tell you

my condolences tho, CineD is mostly a trashfire

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

look if you can't avoid spoilers on a topic that isn't really super relevant to the thread then idk what else to tell you

my condolences tho, CineD is mostly a trashfire

Sorry about the untagged spoilers, but the movie's been out for a while now, one tends to figure the people who cared about remaining unspoiled have made an attempt to see it by now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WampaLord posted:

Sorry about the untagged spoilers, but the movie's been out for a while now, one tends to figure the people who cared about remaining unspoiled have made an attempt to see it by now.

Some people have busy lives and limited free time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

Thanos's belief in callously sacrificing everyone he has to for "the greater good", even a loved one, puts him at direct ideological odds with the heroes who generally believe in self-sacrifice and adamantly refuse to sacrifice others, especially their friends and loved ones. They are willing to sacrifice themselves if necessary but don't believe anybody else should be forced to make that decision. Thanos thinks he understands the feeling of having to sacrifice someone you love when in reality Wanda and Quill only resort to that when they are forced to do it (by Thanos). Thanos did have a choice.

Comic book Thanos is crazy and wants to impress his girlfriend because he is cartoon crazy man.

They are both crazy comic book men op.

Ones motive makes sense in world and one doesn’t.

Unfortunately they made a movie about the one that doesn’t.

They really should have retooled his motive and how he goes about accomplishing it if they are gonna change it, instead of half assing it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

WampaLord posted:

im trying to catch up on the other movies first and 1. they aren't all out on dvd/bluray yet and 2. I have a job and schoolwork and social life to maintain

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Augus posted:

See this is perfectly fine and good. However the movie should also refute the idea that the "greater good" he is aspiring to is even good at all. The movie treats his problem solely as one of means rather than the fact that his whole premise is faulty. Generally movies do not treat Hitler's belief in a Jewish conspiracy the way this movie treats Thanos's belief in overpopulation causing suffering, despite both of them being equally false.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

See this is perfectly fine and good. However the movie should also refute the idea that the "greater good" he is aspiring to is even good at all.

It does. How does it not?

Gamora yells at him that his whole plot is stupid as gently caress and the movie further reinforces that his plan is not good when we see half the cast of heroes die horribly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also comic book Thanos isn’t crazy, death is really a girl.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

the movie's been out for a month and has made like 2 bil.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

This isn't something that I'm proud of, but does anyone have any critics that they sometimes find themselves hate watching/reading. I typically don't go looking for his videos, but sometimes when youtube has a YMS video in my recommend box I'll click on it out of morbid curiosity.

I used to genuinely enjoy his videos. I think his longer YMS review are really well edited and he does have a wit to him, but overtime it become more and more obvious that he's kind of a smug intellectual elitest. But that combined with how shallow and uninsightful his more conventional, Quickie reviews are makes a fascinating case study for what's wrong with the "plot hole police" style of criticism.

I would even argue it makes for a better example than CinemaSins, because Adam is being 100% genuine in his criticisms, and typically from an objective perspective he isn't technically wrong with most of those points. Yes, there's a continuity error in this scene. Yes, this shot is kind of out of focus. But a lot of the time when it comes to understanding or even discussing the thematic substance of a movie, he just glosses over it or misses the point. One example that comes to mind is his review of Sucker Punch where he complains about the fact the we never see Baby Doll dance, or his Interstellar review where he talks about how "love is just a chemical reaction in the brain."

I watched his review on Hereditary and he starts of saying that he thought it was pretty good, gives a few really shallow and quick criticisms and then spends the rest of the reviewing talking about poo poo like how he didn't like the way Alex Wolf cried or how he was bothered by one of the shots in a scene being kind of out of focus.

His reviews show how this narrow focus on logistics in movies results in an approach to film that's less about understanding and connecting to it on an emotional and thematic level and more about proving your intellectual superiority over the movie and the people who enjoyed it; That when you're so focused on the technical stuff rather than the actual humanity of the piece, you're kind of missing the whole art part of art.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel talking about a scene being out of focus is rather important to discussing a movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i spend more time hate watching than love watching.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel talking about a scene being out of focus is rather important to discussing a movie.

It one shot in the scene, and a pretty short one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

See this is perfectly fine and good. However the movie should also refute the idea that the "greater good" he is aspiring to is even good at all. The movie treats his problem solely as one of means rather than the fact that his whole premise is faulty. Generally movies do not treat Hitler's belief in a Jewish conspiracy the way this movie treats Thanos's belief in overpopulation causing suffering, despite both of them being equally false.

But who's really the villain? :thunk:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Conal Cochran posted:

This isn't something that I'm proud of, but does anyone have any critics that they sometimes find themselves hate watching/reading. I typically don't go looking for his videos, but sometimes when youtube has a YMS video in my recommend box I'll click on it out of morbid curiosity.

I used to genuinely enjoy his videos. I think his longer YMS review are really well edited and he does have a wit to him, but overtime it become more and more obvious that he's kind of a smug intellectual elitest. But that combined with how shallow and uninsightful his more conventional, Quickie reviews are makes a fascinating case study for what's wrong with the "plot hole police" style of criticism.

I would even argue it makes for a better example than CinemaSins, because Adam is being 100% genuine in his criticisms, and typically from an objective perspective he isn't technically wrong with most of those points. Yes, there's a continuity error in this scene. Yes, this shot is kind of out of focus. But a lot of the time when it comes to understanding or even discussing the thematic substance of a movie, he just glosses over it or misses the point. One example that comes to mind is his review of Sucker Punch where he complains about the fact the we never see Baby Doll dance, or his Interstellar review where he talks about how "love is just a chemical reaction in the brain."

I watched his review on Hereditary and he starts of saying that he thought it was pretty good, gives a few really shallow and quick criticisms and then spends the rest of the reviewing talking about poo poo like how he didn't like the way Alex Wolf cried or how he was bothered by one of the shots in a scene being kind of out of focus.

His reviews show how this narrow focus on logistics in movies results in an approach to film that's less about understanding and connecting to it on an emotional and thematic level and more about proving your intellectual superiority over the movie and the people who enjoyed it; That when you're so focused on the technical stuff rather than the actual humanity of the piece, you're kind of missing the whole art part of art.

For me it's Armond White, who is himself so consumed by hatred of the left that he lets it dictate his aesthetic principles.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Conal Cochran posted:

I’ve noticed this as well and I think it’s because he’s involved in filmmaking himself, so he tends to be far more aware of the kind of minor technical mistakes that a normal viewer would miss. It’s sort of like a chef being very picky about the food he eats because he can tell when a certain ingredient is undercooked or whatever.

That said, I still watch all of his videos because I really like his style of comedy, and because his insight into the behind-the-scenes aspects of filmmaking can be interesting.

Can't say I hatewatch any critics these days, but there was a time when I would watch the occasional Nostalgia Critic episode just to cringe at it. Nowadays he's not worth subjecting myself to even for that.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 14, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are both crazy comic book men op.

Ones motive makes sense in world and one doesn’t.

Unfortunately they made a movie about the one that doesn’t.

They really should have retooled his motive and how he goes about accomplishing it if they are gonna change it, instead of half assing it.

One is crazy in a realistic way while one is cartoon crazy
Like, the modern world is largely shaped by powerful people callously murdering countless others in a detached, passionless manner in pursuit of some nebulous greater good. Thanos's ideas are stupid. They are also stupid ideas that have roots in real life history and have led to countless real-life deaths and still do. Infinite War criticizes this brand of "rationalism" by giving the audience a close look at the kind of cruelty that this ideology justifies and the twisted psychology behind it.

Nobody Spider-Man die begging for his life and walked out of the theater convinced "You know, Thanos was kinda right". If they agreed with Thanos it's because they already had that belief in the first place.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 14, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Augus posted:

One is crazy in a realistic way while one is cartoon crazy
Like, the modern world is largely shaped by powerful people callously murdering countless others in a detached, passionless manner in pursuit of some nebulous greater good. Thanos's ideas are stupid. They are also stupid ideas that have roots in real life history and have led to countless real-life deaths and still do. Infinite War criticizes this brand of "rationalism" by giving the audience a close look at the kind of cruelty that this ideology justifies and the twisted psychology behind it.

Nobody Spider-Man die begging for his life and walked out of the theater convinced "You know, Thanos was kinda right". If they agreed with Thanos it's because they already had that belief in the first place.

I agree that one is cartoon crazy but it’s not the comic book one.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

the movie's been out for a month and has made like 2 bil.

i dont make a habit of going to cinemas because public places aren't always safe for me im very sorry I didn't see the movie yet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I agree that one is cartoon crazy but it’s not the comic book one.

Okay.

Re: "hatewatching" reviewers, not really something I do much at all. The reviewers I hate (read: right-wing CHUDs) I pretty much only view secondhand when Hbomberguy or Contrapoints discuss them. There are reviewers that I don't take even remotely seriously but their incompetence or uncritical way of looking at things is kinda endearing and makes me laugh. Kinda like DSP.

Gametheory is usually good for a laugh or two.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Max Wilco posted:

He says in the comments that they got it earlier than American audiences did.

I recognize this guy, MauLer. He did a pretty long rebuttal to HBomb's Dark Souls 2 Defense video, which I watched a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzKasf4_x34 He seems okay, albeit maybe a bit overly pedantic.

I admit, I'm curious to see why the rebuttal is nine hours long. Maybe I'll watch it if I have a free weekend.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
You loving nerds and your loving comic book movies

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looking forward to Incredibles 2 tomorrow.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Looking forward to Incredibles 2 next month :negative:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You all know we have a movie forum that is not Cined, Blockbuster Video, right

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Conal Cochran posted:

I like YMS. yeah he is too critical(though thats sorta his gimmick, but i find his humor funny. same with the I Hate dude.

surprisly i dont hate watch stuff. i will hate read stuff sometimes but if i am gonna watch something, i want to enjoy it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pretty sure yms is a right winger and also a furry.

i watch a lot of ben shapiro and dave rubin and poo poo. it's all hate watching.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Furries is one of those things I just don't get, like I've seen very progressive ones, and MAGA ones so I guess it isn't a universal thing. And I know I shouldn't judge but most of them are almost hostile towards people not getting it, not even disliking them for it, just not getting it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Solitair posted:

I admit, I'm curious to see why the rebuttal is nine hours long. Maybe I'll watch it if I have a free weekend.

I'm trying to get through this, but the desperately faux intellectual airs his putting on ('A measured response my goon sir!') and the fact that he opens by saying there is such a thing as objective criticism is really making it difficult!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Zedd posted:

Furries is one of those things I just don't get, like I've seen very progressive ones, and MAGA ones so I guess it isn't a universal thing. And I know I shouldn't judge but most of them are almost hostile towards people not getting it, not even disliking them for it, just not getting it.

Furries are just a thing. There's no overall ideology to it although they do tend to be more open to lbgt groups.

I don't know about them being hostile, I don't think I've really seen it, but I do know they've spent like 15 years getting poo poo on by the internet at large so I wouldn't be surprised if they're touchy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Solitair posted:

reminds me of a last jedi review that wasn't even done with the opening battle 40 minutes into the video.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Garrand posted:

I don't know about them being hostile, I don't think I've really seen it, but I do know they've spent like 15 years getting poo poo on by the internet at large so I wouldn't be surprised if they're touchy.

Yeah, I'ma assume it's this.

I also kind of wonder how one would be in a position to see furries being hostile to someone not getting it, since usually you'd only interact with them in that context if you're approaching someone and going, "What's up with this thing you're doing? I just don't get why you do that," which tends to already seem a little confrontational.

Like I don't get furries, either, but I've never much talked with any about it because who gives a gently caress what I think about their dumb hobby? I don't care what they think of my own dumb hobbies. :shrug:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I'm in some discord servers more progressive orientated, and sometimes there people drop BTW FURRY ACCEPTENCE in there and i'm just like waitwhat, a person mentions its offtopic and they get kinda offended. I's all relatively tame but I guess my being so "ehhhh" towards it makes it seem weird to me.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

There are a lot of queer furries and as a result they tend to be (mostly) good with queer people so furries good in my experience

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

There are a lot of queer furries and as a result they tend to be (mostly) good with queer people so furries good in my experience
Yeah I'm probably just getting a narrow view at it from limited experience, I do see the overlap with other stuff I'm all a-okay with and actively support and they might just be used to the prejudice and assume the worst in self defence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

They're doing a pretty good job of identifying the nazi furries too--one of the nazis who had been doxxing the people protesting the nazis in my town ended up getting identified because he was also a furry (we had no idea--he always wore this stupid homemade suit with Pepe on the lapels) and somebody recognized him from photos of the violence in Charlottesville last year.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Solitair posted:

Yeah Film Robert's BvS epic is one thing but when your video about dark souls is longer than Satantango there should be a moment where you reconsider if it's worth it.

business hammocks posted:

They're doing a pretty good job of identifying the nazi furries too--one of the nazis who had been doxxing the people protesting the nazis in my town ended up getting identified because he was also a furry (we had no idea--he always wore this stupid homemade suit with Pepe on the lapels) and somebody recognized him from photos of the violence in Charlottesville last year.

Nazi furries, aka Pepes Le Pew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't think YMS is a right-winger and I don't know what he identifies as but he comes across as a centrist. I think I saw him post that "Horseshoe spectrum" image.

Anyway, nowadays I'm cool with furries because there are a lot of leftist furries on Twitter fighting the good fight.