Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found another impossible level; the one where you have to defend the sphere with a turret. Literally can't be done. Nice job, Nintendo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

FauxLeather posted:

Do you remember how you managed to beat Girl Power Station (the mission at the connection between the grey and pink metro lines)? I've been having a nightmare with it all day

I just used the normal splattershot and walked around shooting them :v:;. I failed a couple times but had a general idea of where they spawn so just cleared them out as they landed. Heck if you do it fast enough you can just stand around for like 20 seconds until you win.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I found another impossible level; the one where you have to defend the sphere with a turret. Literally can't be done. Nice job, Nintendo!

Is that the one with the blimps? If so it's way, way easier than you probably think. As long as you aren't aiming for like the bottom of the octozepplins you should pop them by just blind firing at them. I let the orb break because I was so busy trying to shoot the tentacles on them but on my second attempt I nailed it when I realized it doesn't really matter where they're hit.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 14, 2018

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Getting through with 0 things hitting the sphere is impossible. You have to triage. Focus the clusters of smaller dudes since everything does the same amount of damage and hit the sphere with the turret to heal between every other shot once you hit the 30 second mark.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

btw i'm not sure how useful it is as i never used it but you can heal the sphere by shooting it just so you know

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

it doesn't really matter where they're hit.

Ohtsam posted:

hit the sphere with the turret to heal

OK, that will make it potentially possible. Thanks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Cuttlefish is absolutely going to snap and initiate a race war

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Any fan of Calamari Inkantation is no foe of mine
I don't see species.

Also hot tip since I saw someone comment on it but if you're going too slow on grind rails duck into them and you go 2x as fast as you did before. (Vague Finale Spoilers) You can buzzer beat the final boss even after a few gently caress ups as long as your recovering via ink form

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’d be more ok with the difficulty of this expansion if it wasn’t for the Test Pass system. What purpose does it serve, other than to punish you for not being an incredibly skilled gamer?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got all the mem cakes, time to finish the fight

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’d be more ok with the difficulty of this expansion if it wasn’t for the Test Pass system. What purpose does it serve, other than to punish you for not being an incredibly skilled gamer?

It's meant to funnel you back to easier levels so you grind up more currency for another try and hopefully in the process the practice you get in easier stages helps you prepare for harder ones

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok but it doesn’t really help because so many of the levels are so different also gently caress grinding

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In Training posted:

Got all the mem cakes, time to finish the fight

Enjoy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well i got all* of them.

*79/80 and 1 faded bc I took one look at the size of the 2nd sculpting level and walked off the edge until I could skip it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You actually don't have to grind credits. They're only really used for one thing. After beating the expansion, you can use them to buy items. Which are the same things you get from Salmon Run. Money, chunks, and tickets. Run out of credits at any point, and Pearl and Marina will wire you up, though any credits you earn are sent to them until you're out of debt. So there's no real penalty to losing unless you care about that one thing.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

In Training posted:

Well i got all* of them.

*79/80 and 1 faded bc I took one look at the size of the 2nd sculpting level and walked off the edge until I could skip it

For the second sculpting level (octo?) you don't need to reference the solid structure, all the boxes you need to shoot on the box pile are a different color. It's a precision challenge, you have to not shoot the more fragile boxes surround them. This is why it's super hosed up that the "hard" weapon is a god drat blaster.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That debt thing doesn’t happen for me. It just won’t let me enter the stages unless I have enough credits.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Uh, read this after you beat the expansion's final boss

Go to the lockers and there's one open. Examine it to fight the *real* final boss. This poo poo is unreal.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Go to the lockers and there's one open. Examine it to fight the *real* final boss. This poo poo is unreal.

The ones next to the vending machine? None of them are open for me. Maybe because I didn't beat every level yet?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

repiv posted:

The ones next to the vending machine? None of them are open for me. Maybe because I didn't beat every level yet?

You have to beat every level without skipping.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The whole finale of this is the best levels they've ever made. Awesome expansion to one of my already favorite games ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh snap :woomy:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally, finally, Nintendo has answered our prayers and made a game with a level based on the movie Cube

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Finally, finally, Nintendo has answered our prayers and made a game with a level based on the movie Cube

Mario Kart Double Dash?

e: I read Gamecube, whoops. It's been a long day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Despite my issues with the pass thing I’m still loving loving this expansion

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
J03/D08 can eat my loving rear end.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The very last part of this expansion is ridiculous bullshit, and I would be surprised if they don't come back later and rebalance that so that normal people have a chance to actually beat it.

Like, even if they let you just choose your weapon, that would be better. Sucks that i've spent 2 games mostly playing roller and the overly difficult challenge is all "excuse me bitch, there are no rollers here. Do this tough as hell thing with a weapon type you have no experience in".

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Fffffffuck this stupid mission where you have to protect a ball from an army of Octolings. I can get down to 10 seconds but then it suddenly spawns 8 of them right on the ball and it goes from 100 to 0 instantly.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Fffffffuck this stupid mission where you have to protect a ball from an army of Octolings. I can get down to 10 seconds but then it suddenly spawns 8 of them right on the ball and it goes from 100 to 0 instantly.

Yeah that's J03/D08, the one I'm stuck on too. It's absolute poop from a butt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was hoping for a cooler reward for beating the TLB but this was a spectacular addition

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
It would feel bad to come so close to 100%ing this thing and giving up at the final hurdle but this secret boss can get hosed. It's my least favourite type of enemy; a player-character with unlimited access to a bigger, better array of weapons. It feels like I'm playing against a hacker. Each time I eek through to the second phase it feels like complete luck. Also merely losing your armour means you might as well just put your controller down and die already because the homing bombs will mess you up. Much of this expansion managed to stay outside the realm of "bad design" imo but this is right there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The hardest part is having enough ink to throw bombs during the disc phase but other than that it all was pretty manageable and fun

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Any tips for the one of defending the orb from a million octolings? I get to the final part and then all the octolings spawn at once and the orb goes from max to empty in about 3 seconds. It's the only challenge I have left.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Any tips for the one of defending the orb from a million octolings? I get to the final part and then all the octolings spawn at once and the orb goes from max to empty in about 3 seconds. It's the only challenge I have left.

Took me a few tries, but then i started treating like any other PvP match. I went roller, which insta-splats most of them, avoided touching the boxes until they did that for me, and basically just did loops around a few of the pillars as they spawned until I got the order down.

Roller was the key, though. Just touch dudes and they die pretty much, and the level is designed in a way that gives you plenty of room.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Memorize where and when they spawn, and which ones are more important to take out first.

There are a finite amount of octolings in that level, so as long as you are effectively taking them out, and you don't let too many of the defense boxes get taken out early on, since they help stall the later octolings a little, it should work out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The strategy that ended up working for me was to take the dualies and camp the octoling spawn points early on, killing them before they can damage the box wall, then the boxes provide enough of a buffer to make the big wave manageable.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

As soon as the one with the stinger spawns the rest box me in and it just inst-kills the orb from max health.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I've probably spent over 20k on this one mission.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I'M FREE

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I would like to have words with the people who though surgically crafting an octopus with a Rapid Blaster Pro would make for a good level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got it down to three seconds before dying. The problem isn't the Stinger. I can usually get her to tergte me and take her out quickly. It's the second Stinger that's the problem