Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My companies will also pass this round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Other than the merger, I have no M&A.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think Lecher is the only one who needs to nod through this round.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sorry, I was traveling and didn’t realize it was all me. Not going to merge anything this time.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think everyone's declined to convert, merge or sell, so we're onto the second OR, Papes to go.
e: Interest set at 15.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 13, 2018

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Lays 8 tile on D10 with W exit
Pays 15 to build through mountains
Takes out 1 loan to do this
Pays 15 interest
Runs for 60 and withholds, Stock drops 3

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You don't pay terrain costs when placing down a mine, so you don't need that loan. I've updated the sheet with just the witholding, speak up if that's not ok.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
CSX Operates
Lay Straight track at I17
Takes 2 loans (4 steps back)
Runs 2T from New Orleans - Port of New Orleans for $60
Full pay, $24 to Panzeh, $36 to company (1 step forward)
Pay $30 interest
Buy 3 2+ trains for $300
Share price is now $82, holdings are now $6

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

SP operates
Lay track at H12, exit SW
Use Boom Town private to upgrade I13 (not a tile lay), exits NW, W, SW, SE.
Take out 1 loan
Run 2T San Antonio~Mexico for 60
""
Pay Half Dividends of 60, move up 1 space.
Pay 35 interest (2 normal loans, 1 land grant)
Buy two 2+ trains
Share price 78, holdings 5

e: people can start buying up 3s, right?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr. Squishy posted:

SP operates
Lay track at H12, exit SW
Use Boom Town private to upgrade I13 (not a tile lay), exits NW, W, SW, SE.
Take out 1 loan
Run 2T San Antonio~Mexico for 60
""
Pay Half Dividends of 60, move up 1 space.
Pay 35 interest (2 normal loans, 1 land grant)
Buy two 2+ trains
Share price 78, holdings 5

e: people can start buying up 3s, right?

Yep.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mr. Squishy posted:

You don't pay terrain costs when placing down a mine, so you don't need that loan. I've updated the sheet with just the witholding, speak up if that's not ok.
Is this for all mines or just when the company explicitly says so?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

StashAugustine posted:

Is this for all mines or just when the company explicitly says so?

All coal and iron tokens do this in USA.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cool. Realized my math in the last post was based on somehow conflating holdings and stock price.

Lay track Atlanta (exit to meet with other track)
Run Jacksonville-Atlanta for $60, run Florida-Jacksonville for $70, total $130
Half pay $65 to me, $65 to company (stock price+)
Pay $30 in interest
Holdings $145, stock $86

Out of curiosity: if you need to cover a chunk of money, it seems like withholding dividends is better than taking a loan assuming it covers enough cash- it doesn't cost interest and only hits stock once rather than twice (although you can't make up for it by paying it off later). Is that pretty much how it works?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

StashAugustine posted:

Cool. Realized my math in the last post was based on somehow conflating holdings and stock price.

Lay track Atlanta (exit to meet with other track)
Run Jacksonville-Atlanta for $60, run Florida-Jacksonville for $70, total $130
Half pay $65 to me, $65 to company (stock price+)
Pay $30 in interest
Holdings $145, stock $86

Out of curiosity: if you need to cover a chunk of money, it seems like withholding dividends is better than taking a loan assuming it covers enough cash- it doesn't cost interest and only hits stock once rather than twice (although you can't make up for it by paying it off later). Is that pretty much how it works?

It's one way to do things, but cash on hand is extremely valuable in 18xx, you want to withhold as little as possible.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yes, the whole genre is a searing indictment of the capitalist class.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Makes sense, I think I might need to think more about what companies can do for me than vice versa

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
A 2-share company with no debt and a 3 or even possibly a 4-train is really good, but getting there is quite hard without sabotaging your game.

The advantage that 5 and 10 share companies have is that you can full pay and still have some money going into the company to pay interest- at least until players buy all the shares, though that'll generally get the company easy capital.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Welp, the run on 2+ sure screwed me a bit.

Great Northern operates
Lay B16 NW-E, B18 E-SW
Run Fargo-Winnipeg ($50)
Half pay $25 me $25 GNR
Pay $15 interest
Company has $77, I have $28, no stock movement

EDIT: Edited to mistakenly bump GNR up one in stock, but it didn't meet the threshhold, so re-edited to correct my correction.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 18, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

N&W operates
Lay tile E25 (free with mine), E27 for $20 to NYC
Run NYC-Columbus for $70, run Detroit-Columbus for $50
Half pay $60 company $60 me
Pay $30 in interest
Holdings $64, stock price $66

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
UP Operates
Lay straight tile on B6 using coal token
Lay Straight tile on B10 using an iron token for $20
Run 2T from Helena to Seattle for $60, full pay
Pay $15 in loan fees
Buy 2T from CSX for $1
Share price increases to $66, holdings are $45

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 16, 2018

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Known Lecher posted:

Welp, the run on 2+ sure screwed me a bit.

Yah, that's why I made the merged company- to ramp up the share price and be the first in to get those juicy 2+s.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Northern Pacific operates
Lay D2 NE-SE
Run 2T (w/Double Heading) Portland-Seattle-Helena ($20+$30+$10 coal+$20)=$80, pay half
Pay $30 interest
No stock movement Stock increase 1 56->59
Company has $88, I have $68

I don't think I got credited with my personal cash from GNR's half pay on the spreadsheet because I still only have $3.

Edit: Also, please make sure to flip your token on the stock market at Board18 when you operate...I've been using that to keep track of turns, because the logos on the Board18 tokens are tiny and I haven't memorized which one goes with which railroad. I think one of NW or UP wasn't flipped when I checked so I was staring at the board thinking it wasn't my turn :downs:

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 18, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, besides Panzeh's, the sheet hasn't been updated since before your last post. Im on it.
Also another artefact of 'USA's very long market is you move up 1 when paying more than half the current stock price. Check the ribbons above the track for values needed for moving 1 to 4 spaces. So Stash, Lecher, you should be up a notch. Panzeh, you moved down 2 for 0 divs last OR, so you're undervalued too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

BNSF operates
Upgrades Santa Fe with boomtown subsidy, new exits W and NE.
Lay F12, exit NE
run Santa Fe-Denver for 70
Run santa fe- the other place for 70
Full divs
Pay 30 interest
Stock increases 4 to 59, holdings at 2

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Someone move my token, it's hard to do on mobil. I believe the other place is called San Antonio.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yeah, besides Panzeh's, the sheet hasn't been updated since before your last post. Im on it.
Also another artefact of 'USA's very long market is you move up 1 when paying more than half the current stock price. Check the ribbons above the track for values needed for moving 1 to 4 spaces. So Stash, Lecher, you should be up a notch. Panzeh, you moved down 2 for 0 divs last OR, so you're undervalued too.

Yeah sorry about that- I totally forgot to move my token, also I don't have write access to the sheet

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ah thanks, I fixed NP's log on here and stock token on the board. (Pretty sure BNSF was in the 59 slot first regardless so I put NP's token underneath.)

Western Pacific operates
Lay Rural Junction W/NW/E/SE in The Village Formerly Known as Sacramento
Run 2T LA-SF for $50, pay half
Pay $15 interest
Stock increases 1 44->46
Company has $15, I have $93

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

silvergoose posted:

Hey for those of us watching, posting the map occasionally would be hella sweet.

reminder :haw:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm having a hell of a time trying to screenshot the map since it's bigger than my laptop screen, but since it's an internal frame on the page or something "full-page" screenshots aren't capturing it all either, just the visible part.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

It's M&A round, i'll be passing on all M&A this round.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Pass

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I don't think it's technically my turn, but I'm going to be on planes for about 24 hours tomorrow so I'm going now. I don't think it really matters anyway.

GNR and NP merge, keeping GNR alive, the new share price is $120

and per the rules the president (ie, me) can now buy any number of shares from the company treasury. So,

Buy 1 share of GNR for $66

Not doing any other M&A action after this, obviously.

edit: leaving the tokens on the stock market in place for now just in case I screwed something up somehow.

Edit2: Yep, screwed something up. Fixed now.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 21, 2018

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Known Lecher posted:

I don't think it's technically my turn, but I'm going to be on planes for about 24 hours tomorrow so I'm going now. I don't think it really matters anyway.

GNR and NP merge, keeping GNR alive

and per the rules the president (ie, me) can now buy any number of shares from the company treasury. So,

Buy 1 share of GNR for $66

Not doing any other M&A action after this, obviously.

edit: leaving the tokens on the stock market in place for now just in case I screwed something up somehow.

So, when you merge two companies, their share prices are summed together, thusly the share price would be $120

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

:doh: I thought it was the average of the two, I’ll merge and not buy a share then.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Merging 2-shares sums, merging 5-shares averages. Investors are bubbly when two presumably profitable companies get together and float on the market for the first time. When two larger business combine to stave off bankruptcy, people are less enthusiastic.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sometimes 2-share companies merge to stave off bankruptcy too, but don't tell the investors :ssh:

Since we're still in the M&A round and my plans were partially thwarted by my incompetence, I'd like to take a second action assuming everyone ahead of me passes. (I think everyone but Stash has already passed anyway.) We're technically doing this by operating order so it's the last company anyway.

Western Pacific converts to a 5-share company
The president (me) buys 2 1 share at $46/share

Everyone else has an opportunity to buy shares, I assume there won't be any takers.

WP has only one token, so it buys a second token for $50
Company has (15+46-50)=$11 (unless someone else buys in), I have $47

I'll edit the GNR-NP merger post to fix the share price and the fact that I'm not buying in.

Edit: Fixed to only buy 1 share instead of 2 since the limit is 3 shares in a 5-share company, and I was mistakenly thinking that shares exchanged 2-for-1 like in a merger. Nope!

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 21, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah sorry, I might as well pass. Not really sure what the long-term viability of anything I've done is but gently caress it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm also going to pass on merging/converting/putting my companies up for sale. And for buying Lecher's share. I would, but I'm happy w/ my lump at the moment.
In making the new tab, I thought I'd better check on stock prices because I didn't trust all the values put down. Some are just me not updating the cells, I think Lecher didn't add his companies together right, and I don't really know why I took BNSF back 6 spaces rather than 5 in the 1st OR, but I did. I've updated the sheet and board to fix the correct values, here's a copy of my working.
Another thing worth noting is that the end of 2nd OR 1, all remaining 2Ts are exported (all 0 of them) and we enter phase 3. Green tiles are availible, off-board routes use green values, and you can IPO a 5-Share. You determine the number of shares a company has after you win the auction for the President's share.
As I'm the preferred dealer, I go first in this Stock Round:
[]Short GNR
Buy Share of CSX [/b]

e: changed my move.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 21, 2018

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Not buying WP on M&A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Having thought more about it, and Lecher hasn't gone yet, I'll change my move a third time if no one objects:
Short GNR
IPO's NYC in east New York for $254
No one can match that
NYC is a 2-Share with initial stock price of $127

• Locked thread