Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Story-wise, Osiris was an almost mythical character. For a human, it's impressive given that most of humanity's well-known heroes are already immortal solar/arc/void-wielding guardians. He was even exiled from the Tower for being too controversial which just adds to his mystique. Rather than simply being renowned for killing a shitload of things, he is famous most for knowing things. His portrayal is a mix of issues. Firstly, they can't match up with what's been built up in the fandom's mind. This is partly because Destiny lore has always been built up in the background, in small bits and pieces in the grimoire.

The problem is that when you're coming in to write a story involving a pre-existing character, the many many bits and pieces of lore that were previously thrown out with no real thought given towards future plots seriously limited the options for the writers. Whatever story they wanted to tell, or were told to tell (I have no idea how much freedom the writers have here) is constrained by these numerous lore snippets that were written without much thought given to how it would affect future content. Either they contort their writing to fit in these snippets or they ignore it and piss off the fans.

The second problem is that his portrayal in Curse amounts to getting his buddy ghost to get help, and then helping him. There's no real interaction there or any character development or relationship to the player. You were there to help and you helped him. This isn't really a unique issue with Osiris but when the expansion is hyping up this mythical figure in the lore, his is an especially poor showing.

Another issue is illustrated with Brother Vance's rampant fanboyism. He wasn't really a standout in Destiny 1, just a vendor associated with Osiris' followers but in Curse they turned him into total and complete fanboy. Maybe he was always that way and he was just better at hiding it before but the stress of the Red War changed him, but it's also in line with how almost every character in Destiny 2 is just plain wacky, like our old pal Cayde-6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I enjoyed curse but Osiris was boring and the infinite forest was just depressing.

And i had a moment at the final boss where I got really depressed that realities were converging, a near omniscient AI was in the process of integrating itself with the universal source code and deleting me from reality, all at the heart of a planetary supercomputer, and this was dealt with via... hordes of adds followed by shooting the bad computer man in the face. Like, at least in the main game face shooting is just kind of the bad guys' thing anyway. But video games I guess

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Bungo lied, Zonko died.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Argas posted:

Story-wise, Osiris was an almost mythical character. For a human, it's impressive given that most of humanity's well-known heroes are already immortal solar/arc/void-wielding guardians. He was even exiled from the Tower for being too controversial which just adds to his mystique. Rather than simply being renowned for killing a shitload of things, he is famous most for knowing things. His portrayal is a mix of issues. Firstly, they can't match up with what's been built up in the fandom's mind. This is partly because Destiny lore has always been built up in the background, in small bits and pieces in the grimoire.

The problem is that when you're coming in to write a story involving a pre-existing character, the many many bits and pieces of lore that were previously thrown out with no real thought given towards future plots seriously limited the options for the writers. Whatever story they wanted to tell, or were told to tell (I have no idea how much freedom the writers have here) is constrained by these numerous lore snippets that were written without much thought given to how it would affect future content. Either they contort their writing to fit in these snippets or they ignore it and piss off the fans.

The second problem is that his portrayal in Curse amounts to getting his buddy ghost to get help, and then helping him. There's no real interaction there or any character development or relationship to the player. You were there to help and you helped him. This isn't really a unique issue with Osiris but when the expansion is hyping up this mythical figure in the lore, his is an especially poor showing.

Another issue is illustrated with Brother Vance's rampant fanboyism. He wasn't really a standout in Destiny 1, just a vendor associated with Osiris' followers but in Curse they turned him into total and complete fanboy. Maybe he was always that way and he was just better at hiding it before but the stress of the Red War changed him, but it's also in line with how almost every character in Destiny 2 is just plain wacky, like our old pal Cayde-6.

That makes sense, thanks for the write-up.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

PC Destiny 2 Thread: But video games I guess

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Sturm and drang are p good on PC if anyone was wondering. the sidearm is kind of rear end and i hate single-shot sidearms with kb+m but man that bonus damage round on sturm is nice.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Played about three hours tonight and am now level 10 with power rating of 108! I am well on my way! Even got 2000 xp for the Euro clan :D

I must say I am liking the environments I am fighting in. They are really well designed and look suitably ancient earth like.

I also keep running into public events while I am doing missions and get side tracked into helping out. Plus I keep seeing hallways and caves and go exploring.

This game is seriously great fun!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

VideoGames posted:

Played about three hours tonight and am now level 10 with power rating of 108! I am well on my way! Even got 2000 xp for the Euro clan :D

I must say I am liking the environments I am fighting in. They are really well designed and look suitably ancient earth like.

I also keep running into public events while I am doing missions and get side tracked into helping out. Plus I keep seeing hallways and caves and go exploring.

Say what you will about Bungie and D2, the level design and combat is pretty drat tight.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Vance works, because he admits that he's never actually met Osiris. It's in keeping with the real-world truth of cults that these mythical people are built up as amazing but in reality aren't.

They did troll the D1 audience a little by acknowledging that all the hours they spent doing D1's Trials was not some great honor where they PVPed at the super-sweatiest level to be judged by the mighty Osiris, but as pure masturbation fodder for his hopeless dweeb of a follower. But hey, the guy knew how to bring undead shootmen to the yard: grab the phattest of lewts and stick it in a box.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 14, 2018

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, I think the biggest reason people complained about the game was that grinding those public events was one of the only ways to progress.

I think with the addition of new content in the more recent patches has put the game into a really good state. People may complain about the pricing but they are not complaining about gameplay very much any more. PvP is still poop tho.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Gameplay for the endgame isn't agressively idiotic and bad on a macro level any more, it's just composed of a bunch of potentially fun things implemented in astonishly annoying ways.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah I enjoyed curse but Osiris was boring and the infinite forest was just depressing.

And i had a moment at the final boss where I got really depressed that realities were converging, a near omniscient AI was in the process of integrating itself with the universal source code and deleting me from reality, all at the heart of a planetary supercomputer, and this was dealt with via... hordes of adds followed by shooting the bad computer man in the face. Like, at least in the main game face shooting is just kind of the bad guys' thing anyway. But video games I guess

I was expecting it to be an Oryx situation where we'd kill him. But then like five seconds and a cutscene later he'd get back up and "Whoops, turns out you can't just bust into a simulation and kill this vex turbo lord, you have to go unplug his server or whatever in the raid proper" But no, we got another raid lair.

And the size and scope of the raid lairs is fine, but they really should have been integrated into the story of the DLC. Instead of making them nobodies on the cabal pleasure cruise, we should have been killing Xol and that big vex man in flashy final fights.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Gameplay for the endgame isn't agressively idiotic and bad on a macro level any more, it's just composed of a bunch of potentially fun things implemented in astonishly annoying ways.

That it took them a year of saying "It'll be good in the future" to address the vast majority of their problems after insisting that this brand new engine would make for better, faster updates and changes has been nothing short of frustrating. Ultimately I feel like it's way too little way too late when they're expecting people to pay full price for this new DLC And are pimping out an annual pass for it, as if they didn't just spend a year lying through their asses about every major issue the game has had.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Can't wait to expand on the Calus story line where he finally reveals what he saw at the edge of the universe and offers the mysterious power that makes The Light seem puny!

Except it will never be mentioned again!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Can't wait to expand on the Calus story line where he finally reveals what he saw at the edge of the universe and offers the mysterious power that makes The Light seem puny!

Calus is my extremely fat, extremely strong buddy and I am really not looking forward to the day that Bungie makes him a central character in an expansion and completely loving ruins him.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Calus is a teaser for Race 5 that we won't see for another year.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Can't wait to expand on the Calus story line where he finally reveals what he saw at the edge of the universe

universal entropy

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

cosmic space triangles, which are the archenemy to the cosmic space sphere

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Calus is a teaser for Race 5 that we won't see for another year.

I thought the Skorn were a new race? Or are they just like the "Frozen Hive", except for the Fallen?

Bah!

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

How! posted:

I thought the Skorn were a new race? Or are they just like the "Frozen Hive", except for the Fallen?

Bah!

quote:

Heavy: Can you tell us about any of these new abilities or what we can expect from them in-game?

Barrett: So we want players to discover that stuff and also we will be revealing more information as the summer goes on. But one of the characters I’m most excited about is The Ravager. That is a character that pulls a chained sensor or mace that’s filled with magical flame. As the character is running at you they are spinning this sensor that is on fire.

One of the cool things is that’s actually the weak spot for killing that character. So if you get a precision shot and shoot the flaming sensor it will explode in a big ball of fire and ignite the other characters around. It’s pretty terrifying the first time you experience a bunch of those guys charging at you down a hallway. That’s just one little glimpse. All of the characters in the Scorn are all new and have new abilities and new weapons.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

How! posted:

Bah!

They want to have it both ways, since their heavyweights are supposed to be Barons, and Barons are supposed to be second behind Kell in the Fallen hierarchy.

So it’s more effort than Frozen Hive, but it’s being overhyped as a reaction to everyone’s cry for new races. It’s more like a new unique enemy type that belongs to an old race. They’re giving the gameplay focused people what they wanted; the lore focused people are being pissed on and told that it’s raining.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Uhhh I'm going to be honest - I have played 100+ hours since Warmind came out and I have never noticed that some Hive are "Frozen". Are the frozen hive the ones that have a sniper or a sword-and-shield knight?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Uhhh I'm going to be honest - I have played 100+ hours since Warmind came out and I have never noticed that some Hive are "Frozen". Are the frozen hive the ones that have a sniper or a sword-and-shield knight?

The Frozen Hive are only Mars. The only "new" mobs are the Vanquishers which are the Knights with a shield and Adherents, which are Acolytes with a sniper rifle and some extra gribblies on their back.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
frozen cursed thralls also give you a unique debuff, chilled. slows you a bit.

also whoever transcribed that interview: it's a censer, not a sensor.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lmao you gotta be kidding me

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

RocketRaygun posted:

Destiny 3 will introduce a dubious new wildcard to the mix: the mysterious grey cubes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Father Wendigo posted:

Destiny 3 will introduce a dubious new wildcard to the mix: the mysterious grey cubes.

The final boss will be the old 90's screensaver every public school computer had with that rainbow, shifting geometric object.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lmao you gotta be kidding me

If I was supposed to feel like they added a new enemy faction, that's their failure, not mine, imho

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Craptacular! posted:

Vance works, because he admits that he's never actually met Osiris. It's in keeping with the real-world truth of cults that these mythical people are built up as amazing but in reality aren't.

They did troll the D1 audience a little by acknowledging that all the hours they spent doing D1's Trials was not some great honor where they PVPed at the super-sweatiest level to be judged by the mighty Osiris, but as pure masturbation fodder for his hopeless dweeb of a follower. But hey, the guy knew how to bring undead shootmen to the yard: grab the phattest of lewts and stick it in a box.

I'm pretty sure the grimoire already told us that Osiris' followers were basically a cult and he had nothing to do with them. But my problem with Vance is that he's written in the same way as almost everyone else in Destiny 2 with the wacky dialed all the way up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

RocketRaygun posted:

it's a cosmic space BASKETBALL

don't you read the lore smdh

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If I was supposed to feel like they added a new enemy faction, that's their failure, not mine, imho

Hive but they kinda shatter when you shoot them and occasionally you go slow

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

it's a cosmic space BASKETBALL

don't you read the lore smdh

bungie really missed an opportunity to make it the cosmic space sovereign citizen

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I mean your Ghost did say hey these are new Hive and then they exploded in ice

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
This week at bungo

quote:

Josh: Hey everybody, I wanted to stop by for a second and provide just a bit of information regarding the new weapon slot system. We know many of you want the D1-style system back. Many of you have also asked us to keep the D2 model. We want to deliver something you all want, but we also want to surprise and delight you while moving the game forward. Ultimately, we want to give you something better than anything you’ve seen yet.

More Choice and Deeper Customization

The top two slots (quick slots) have more freedom than ever, allowing you to carry unique sets of Primary & Special Weapons. When paired with the appropriate Exotic, crazy load outs like the 3 Shotty build I mentioned in the ViDoc are possible… and freaking awesome.

Balanced with Ammo

Uptime for your weapons is balanced by how often you can get your hands on the right ammo. Tuned to be very similar to D1, uptime works out as follows: (most to least) Primary (White) then Special (Green) and then finally, Heavy (Purple). Primary Ammo is useless while running the 3 Shotty loadout, which takes a combination of Special and Heavy ammo —and finding yourself completely dry means it’s time to get your hands dirty. Godspeed, space puncher.

Perfect for Roles

Whether it be for raids, trials and comp, or the brand new, incredibly awesome, and (in my opinion) pinnacle Destiny sandbox activity, Gambit, the new weapon system shines at allowing incredible flexibility and customization so you and your team can strategize and build your way to greatness. Momma always said, “Loadout for the job you want.”

I promise you’re going to get more, very specific details soon(tm) alongside a TON of additional Forsaken information.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Nuebot posted:

That it took them a year of saying "It'll be good in the future" to address the vast majority of their problems after insisting that this brand new engine would make for better, faster updates and changes has been nothing short of frustrating. Ultimately I feel like it's way too little way too late when they're expecting people to pay full price for this new DLC And are pimping out an annual pass for it, as if they didn't just spend a year lying through their asses about every major issue the game has had.

That is one of my major concerns, so far they have done nothing to prove that they can actually produce content at a proper pace.

Doesn't this sound familiar? https://www.vg247.com/2017/07/11/destiny-2-contains-so-much-story-content-bungie-hopes-people-complain-about-it/

https://www.pcgamer.com/activision-aims-to-improve-the-cadence-of-destiny-2-dlc/

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will not get a chance to play again til Sunday evening, but should I just be doing all the story missions and get to the end of the campaign? I like doing these little adventures that crop up and they often lead me past public events.

Do the adventures stay until I choose to complete them or would advancing the story remove them from my map?

I am playing as a hunter and my most favourite thing to do is jump into the fray, do a few shots on enemy heads and then use my melee over and over :D Sure it is dangerous and silly but goodness does it feel fun!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Don't worry, the adventures will stay there until you complete them!

If you want to punch a lot, top tree of arcstrider is built around punching/dodging/punching forever, but the best way to be a punchy dude in lower level content is arc titan with the insurmountable skullfort exotic, or devour warlock with the exotic karstein or winter's guile gauntlets.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I will not get a chance to play again til Sunday evening, but should I just be doing all the story missions and get to the end of the campaign? I like doing these little adventures that crop up and they often lead me past public events.

Do the adventures stay until I choose to complete them or would advancing the story remove them from my map?

I am playing as a hunter and my most favourite thing to do is jump into the fray, do a few shots on enemy heads and then use my melee over and over :D Sure it is dangerous and silly but goodness does it feel fun!

Adventures overall with overlevel you, the level "Barriers" you hit will be 7, 11, 15 IIRC so just do what catches your fancy, don't feel you have to do other things

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

the best way to be a punchy dude in lower level content is arc titan with the insurmountable skullfort exotic, or devour warlock with the exotic karstein or winter's guile gauntlets.

Thank you for the advice, but I am not there yet in knowing what all this means. Are these classes and weapons? Do weapons and outfits drop more the higher level I get? Mostly I am getting glimmer and EDZ tokens for things which is nice but Hawthorne has nothing to sell me I do not already have (and I cannot find any other people wanting to sell things for glimmer).

Stormgale posted:

Adventures overall with overlevel you, the level "Barriers" you hit will be 7, 11, 15 IIRC so just do what catches your fancy, don't feel you have to do other things

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Thank you for the advice, but I am not there yet in knowing what all this means. Are these classes and weapons? Do weapons and outfits drop more the higher level I get? Mostly I am getting glimmer and EDZ tokens for things which is nice but Hawthorne has nothing to sell me I do not already have (and I cannot find any other people wanting to sell things for glimmer).

The loot stuff mostly open up one you reach level 20, so don't fret about things till then.

During the story youll get a few options of items, pick whatever seems neat

• Locked thread