Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Jodie and the gang to appear at San Diego Comic Con

Oh I bet they’ll premiere the trailer then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Pretty stoked to get into this set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
TIMG that right now, mister.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The thread cannot handle that level of Capaldi's hair

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

drat if only I hadn't already bought series 8

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Tim Burns Effect posted:

drat if only I hadn't already bought series 8

Considering they already did similar era-spanning box sets of Tennant and Smith, you only have yourself to blame.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
where is the doctor where is she also what is your favorite tardis

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I bet they’ll premiere the trailer then.

But then my hype levels will go through the roof :ohdear:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chokes McGee posted:

what is your favorite tardis

Either the first 11th Doctor console room, or the wood paneled "backup" room from 4

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We're not getting any new Doctor Who until everyone calms down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

also what is your favorite tardis

Eleven's second one. When he turned those lights on it was the STIV moment for me.

"My friends, we've come home."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

We're not getting any new Doctor Who until everyone calms down.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"My boyfriend is a big tough Wizard and he'll make sure we get Doctor Mugg-er Who!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
To hell with favorites, what’s your least favorite TARDIS interior?

I hate the latter Smith/Capaldi console room. It felt cheap and claustrophobic, especially after the spacious room that debuted with Smith.

9/10’s Coral theme has probably aged the worst out of all of them, even though I liked it at the time. Now it just looks like a Farscape set.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The "sure, this is the TARDIS why not" stuff in "Invasion of Time" always fucks with me, and the switch to film with terrible sound just makes it feel even more like a weird dream. The fact that I've only ever seen it as a PBS movie edit and am usually falling asleep by that point doesn't help either.

Even with the Pool Chairs. of Death! [CLONK]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ewe2 posted:

"My boyfriend is a big tough Wizard and he'll make sure we get Doctor Mugg-er Who!"

But enough about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Definitely the 9/10 coral one. I like 11’s dismissal of it as ‘his grunge phase’.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hate the latter Smith/Capaldi console room. It felt cheap and claustrophobic, especially after the spacious room that debuted with Smith.

9/10’s Coral theme has probably aged the worst out of all of them, even though I liked it at the time. Now it just looks like a Farscape set.

Yeah, I tend to agree. And there's no wobbly bits! The wobble was the best part!

Favorite? Still the TV movie's.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think it's leagues worse in Smith's tenure. Because not only is it all those things, it just feels so dark and empty. It had space, but it had nothing to do with it, all those extra levels and platforms are just... there.

It got a lot better with Capaldi, if only because they filled it with stuff, with props to play with and make it feel more lived-in. It's even more cramped, yes, but it's intentionally so. It feels a lot busier.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've never appreciated the Season 14 wooden console room as much as everybody else, although I do think it's an interesting change. I just find it a bit too gloomy, and the lack of a time rotor means things feel generally less dynamic when the TARDIS is supposedly in flight. And there's also a shaving mirror for some reason.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Eleven's initial one, it just looked like a bunch of random junk glued together.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Eccleston's TARDIS looks like a cheap 2000s tv show set which is appropriate so it's not the worst ever

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
No un-love for Pertwee's short-lived "washing-up bowls glued to the walls" model?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Payndz posted:

No un-love for Pertwee's short-lived "washing-up bowls glued to the walls" model?

We don't talk about that one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Eccleston's TARDIS looks like a cheap 2000s tv show set which is appropriate so it's not the worst ever

They didn’t even bother to build another door, they just had to imply it was there off camera.

That and the ‘random crap we found in a skip and put on the console pretending to be controls’ look of it makes it look cheap. I’m annoyed that that carried through to the 1st Smith console looking like it was made of whimsy. The rest of Smith’s first console room looked alright. I liked all the multi-level stuff, but the console dragged it down.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It isn't my favourite but I like the evil pseudo-TARDIS from the first James Corden episode. :shobon:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

That and the ‘random crap we found in a skip and put on the console pretending to be controls’ look of it makes it look cheap. I’m annoyed that that carried through to the 1st Smith console looking like it was made of whimsy. The rest of Smith’s first console room looked alright. I liked all the multi-level stuff, but the console dragged it down.

Made of whimsy is kind of Eleven in a nutshell, but yeah, that console took it too far.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/robritchie409/status/1007306342628028416

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This is better than a lot of the 1980s ones, probably

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The TURDIS returns!

Still not as majestic as the one going down a flooded street though

At least it got airborne

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

No one mentioned the Big Finish Warehouse Clearance Sale?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not interested in physical media, but apparently once they clear their stock they will be offering download versions at a discount too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Today's audio on the trip to work is Dust Breeding. Literally shouted "OH poo poo" in my car at the midpoint reveal :)

Now I have to wait until after work to find out where it goes :mad:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Had the same reaction at work when I first heard it, though thankfully I was able to contain my outburst. Though as soon as the story was done, I went back and listened to it again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You know what classic Who trope I miss? Villains saying 'Time Lord' dismissively like they actually meant to say 'bumface'.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

You know what classic Who trope I miss? Villains saying 'Time Lord' dismissively like they actually meant to say 'bumface'.

It really has gotten too grandiose for its own good.

That's one thing I REALLY hated about moffat's run, how important the Doctor was. He's just some stupid old man in a box that fixes poo poo.

He pulled back on that a bit with Capaldi but then doubled down on it a few annoying times

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It sounds like an insult in the first place, is what makes that work so well.

"Oh, thanks for reminding us the meeting was supposed to be over five minutes ago, Time Lord."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Burkion posted:

It really has gotten too grandiose for its own good.

That's one thing I REALLY hated about moffat's run, how important the Doctor was. He's just some stupid old man in a box that fixes poo poo.

He pulled back on that a bit with Capaldi but then doubled down on it a few annoying times

I'm really not a fan the "Doctor as load-bearing wall for the universe" idea Moffat used a couple of times. This was really egregious in Twice Upon a Time, where they outright said it more than once. At least they didn't give him credit for the Christmas Truce

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RTD started the whole "the Doctor is literally Jesus" thing. IMO that intergalactic mythic poo poo is the worst part of the revival. I like it better when the mythic role gets assigned to a character from the episode in a tiny cute way, like at the end of the recent Picts/Romans story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

RTD started the whole "the Doctor is literally Jesus" thing. IMO that intergalactic mythic poo poo is the worst part of the revival. I like it better when the mythic role gets assigned to a character from the episode in a tiny cute way, like at the end of the recent Picts/Romans story.

Moffat made it a lot worse.

In fact some of the worst aspects of the Doctor's reputation being overblown and way more important than it should be were in Moffat penned stories during the RTD era

• Locked thread