Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Banana Canada posted:

^ careful there - you might catch a probe for space-racism like the last guy who used the K-word (was it you?) ^

In my headcanon, the Breen are a gaseous species. Can anyone cite me proof they aren't in any DS9 episode?

They take off a breen's suit offscreen at some point to use it as a disguise, which implies that they saw what a breen looks like.

I really like the idea of a gas giant species. There was a terrible 90's PC game called Conquest Earth in which a race of beings from Jupiter attacks Earth as revenge for the galileo probe, which deposited a (to them) deadly microbe in the atmosphere when it fell into Jupiter which killed off most of them. The fog of war in the game was a literal fog that the Jovians would spread on the map as a breathing gas, and you had a special human unit who could clear the fog with pellets of oxygen. The Jovians were gaseous inside of a biomechanical suit and could merge together to form bigger units. The gameplay was utter poo poo, probably one of the worst RTS games, but I really liked the idea of such a species. Gas giants are fascinating and I wish they'd show up more.

CGI was very expensive for 90's trek, so whenever they had an Odo morph that would eat up a big chunk of an episode's budget, which is why they stuck to humanoid aliens. But now half the episode consists of lovely lensflare orange/blue CGI, there's really no excuse not to show us the Tholians or other non-humanoid creatures. But no, instead they went with a universe of evil humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's a hell of a lot easier to add a lens flare than to model an entirely new alien species.

Like, I kind of agree with your criticism but I also feel that you're being a bit unreasonable as to what to expect.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

And I can speak highly accurate English with a mouth full of cotton.* It still sounds ridiculous.

*Have not actually tried this.

Tell that to Marlon Brando, he made it work.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Has Star Trek every has a Christmas episode? I can’t even remember a single time they even mentioned Christmas existed.

Wait, was Picard’s Nexus fantasy at Christmas?

Voyager got turned into a christmas ornament by Q once too.

As far as the Klingons, I'm mixed about them. Don't like somethings, like other things. I don't have anything personal against the idea that the houses all have different feels, if they wanna run with that.

In the end though, I actually liked the klingon strip mall in the last episode, so if I get more of that then I think it will be fine.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

While I'm not the hugest fan of how the heads turned out, going the extra distance to show cultural diversity on Kronos with all the different houses having different wardrove designs and such is the right idea.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ashpanash posted:

It's a hell of a lot easier to add a lens flare than to model an entirely new alien species.

Like, I kind of agree with your criticism but I also feel that you're being a bit unreasonable as to what to expect.

TOS had more non-humanoid aliens than any subsequent series.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a shame that the horta can't show up, I wouldn't mind seeing more of them. That was a good episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Banana Canada posted:

^ careful there - you might catch a probe for space-racism like the last guy who used the K-word (was it you?) ^

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It's a shame that the horta can't show up, I wouldn't mind seeing more of them. That was a good episode.

You should read the old TOS novels. There's a Horta crewman! Long live Naraht!

Edit:... I own all the old TOS novels.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stairs posted:

You should read the old TOS novels. There's a Horta crewman! Long live Naraht!

Edit:... I own all the old TOS novels.

There's a TNG novel about a whole ship crewed exclusively by Hortas.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Everything Discovery has done with Klingons will be forgiven if they just have some fun ones in the second season.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

STD could completely turn it around for a second season. They won't, but they could!

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Has Star Trek every has a Christmas episode? I can’t even remember a single time they even mentioned Christmas existed.

Wait, was Picard’s Nexus fantasy at Christmas?

I mean the series finale of TNG was a remake of A Christmas Carol set on the Enterprise, basically.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Emerson Cod posted:

I mean the series finale of TNG was a remake of A Christmas Carol set on the Enterprise, basically.

Except A Christmas Carol actually has the main character learn something meaningful.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
He did: mapping stars and studying nebulae is fuckin' lame maaan. Like study the possibilities of existence or something, god!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Picard has been on a quest to learn everything possible. Exploring the edges of Federation space, archaeology, trying to take everything and catalog it so it can be shared and understood.

The universe is bigger and more complicated than he could ever hope to understand. Striving towards that goal will leave him with a life full of regrets. Instead he needs to focus on the things that aren't so "important"...getting to know his crew better, learning more about himself and his place in this corner of the universe. The revelation Q encouraged in Picard wasn't that he needs to go get a better understanding of temporal quantum mechanics or any such thing, it's that he needs to embrace that some things just simply won't make sense, that's ok, but he can learn and grow from them anyway.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The showrunners were just fired halfway through production of S2, for budget overruns and abusing the writers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-showrunners-alex-kurtzman-take-1120416

Kurtzman is now sole showrunner.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 15, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Barry Convex posted:

The showrunners were just fired halfway through production of S2, for budget overruns and abusing the writers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-showrunners-alex-kurtzman-take-1120416

No thanks.

I’ll give it the premiere, but wow, that’s just horrible news that instills precisely zero confidence.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
So much for a better second season due to a lack of troubled production!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm rooting for this show, but that doesn't give me any confidence.

Kurtzman was the less hackish half or the Kurtzman/Orci duo, right? At least he's the one who's not a truther.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Jesus Christ that’s ugly

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I’m fine with Kurtzman, it’s not like he could possibly make Discovery any worse.

Maybe we will get Bruce Campbell as a guest star.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What is it with Season 2 of a ST show and terrible writers' room environments?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Barry Convex posted:

quote:

Insiders also stress that Berg and Harberts became increasingly abusive to the Discovery writing staff, with Harberts said to have leaned across the writers room table while shouting an expletive at a member of the show's staff.

LOL, yes, that's how you motivate workers! Picard did it all the time.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Barry Convex posted:

quote:

Sources say the budget for the season two premiere ballooned, with the overages expected to come out of subsequent episodes from Discovery's sophomore run.

What if the entire season was like that time loop episode everybody liked??? That was cheap to shoot!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wow. Does anyone still think this show will last longer than Enterprise?

e: that article honestly buried the lede if anything. Not only are the show runners fired but the budget for later episodes is being stripped, Akiva Goldsman is out too, there is a “planned” production hiatus upcoming...

skasion fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 15, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bring back old gbs posted:

What if the entire season was like that time loop episode everybody liked??? That was cheap to shoot!

Bottle shows can be done well, some of Trek's best episodes are in that format: The Drumhead, Measure of a Man, The Wire, and Duet all come to mind. But I don't have faith in Disco's writers to pull off an episode like that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

Clip show episode!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Barry Convex posted:

kinda ironic that this happened on a show that's known for promoting utopian values

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

galenanorth posted:

kinda ironic that this happened on a show that's known for promoting utopian values

I think you're confusing this show with "Star Trek."

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
maybe next season they'll have a klingon with three dicks

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I have exactly three ToS era Star Trek books, and in one of them they allude to Klingons having three testicles.

I can't believe this keeps happening to the show. The second half of last season was a big improvement, and I really started to give a poo poo about most of the characters. I want this to be good, I don't want them to be stuck in production hell every loving season. Now, reduced budget need not be a catastrophe. Flashy graphic effects are not as important as good character work. The writers just have to do a little bit of work to make crew interactions interesting, and then they can tell good stories with less money.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't get my hopes up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Convex posted:

Is Kurtzman the 9/11 truther?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Roberto Orci is the 9/11 Truther.

https://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/star-trek-writer-roberto-orci-deletes-twitter-account-what-happened/

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Bottle shows can be done well, some of Trek's best episodes are in that format: The Drumhead, Measure of a Man, The Wire, and Duet all come to mind. But I don't have faith in Disco's writers to pull off an episode like that.

Much less 5 of them...

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Which was funny considering the rah-rah pro military themes running through a lot of their work like the first Transformers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Discovery was really bad and overall nothing is lost if it gets axed

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Discovery was really bad and overall nothing is lost if it gets axed

If Discovery gets axed for sucking there won't be TV trek again for another long time

I personally hope it gets its poo poo together and does well.

I don't think it will, mind you, but I'd like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jesus what a mess. All that "well at lest s2 can clean things up without all those production difficulties!" right out the window I suppose.