Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You'd have to be absurdly fixated on canon over story to think that the scalp thing is all this episode brought to the table.

This episode disrupts the thesis that host awareness is born from suffering; this was a host who was rarely injured, rarely died, and was led to awareness by curiosity, conviction, and love. Maeve and Akecheta are both interesting foils to Dolores, in that their "awakening" is an emergent result of how their programmed personalities respond to new contexts and dissonant information. That's way more important than the scalp thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
idk that it totally subverts the idea that suffering is a key part of them becoming conscious, it just (maybe) lowers the bar from a "thousand lifetimes of outright abuse" to "writers took away the woman you loved a long time ago". I still think they were implying he was not having a great time after the re-write in a somewhat comparable way to other abused hosts, but that was his new cornerstone moment once he got his head around it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, he definitely had his own unique way of suffering, but he did it in one or two lifetimes rather than thousands like some of the others. That part was pretty different.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Everyone has their own hero's journey to awakening

Welcome to The Hero with a Thousand Faces world

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

has anyone made a westerosworld most ambitious crossover event joke yet? because if not, have i got a treat for you

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

has anyone made a westerosworld most ambitious crossover event joke yet? because if not, have i got a treat for you

Ground floor, baby

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a21073438/shannon-woodward-westworld-fan-theories-elsie/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i can't remember what site but they did one of those with jordan peele for "get out" and most of the "theories" were just the text of the movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do they just make all the women read that stupid PMS one? I feel like they've done it about three times now.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

business hammocks posted:

Do they just make all the women read that stupid PMS one? I feel like they've done it about three times now.

Yea its gettin a lil weird. Or maybe its to highlight how weird it is to ask it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can't remember what site but they did one of those with jordan peele for "get out" and most of the "theories" were just the text of the movie.

Vanity Fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBvcngHRTFg

to be fair, a couple of the theories are actually p interesting but like half of them are pointing out obvious things:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

business hammocks posted:

The skincare routine one as well.

There were some surprisingly accurate ones in there.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is overtly shown in season 1. :confused:

What, the train elevator? I don’t remember the train elevator.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Pirate Radar posted:

Doesn't look like anything to me.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Living in Westworld for 11 years without being murdered by guests or hosts is a pretty amazing achievement, I wonder if anyone else managed it

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Pirate Radar posted:

s1e2 when William is getting delivered to the train you can see either his cabin moving up to the train or the train car to his cabin through the door silhouette. There’s some kind of mechanism to deliver guests directly from their ready room to the train.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TK-42-1 posted:

s1e2 when William is getting delivered to the train you can see either his cabin moving up to the train or the train car to his cabin through the door silhouette. There’s some kind of mechanism to deliver guests directly from their ready room to the train.

Gotcha. I’ll have to rewatch that one.

Train elevator!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LentThem posted:

Living in Westworld for 11 years without being murdered by guests or hosts is a pretty amazing achievement, I wonder if anyone else managed it

It's probably a bit easier when you know you should avoid the people you can't kill. Other hosts have no reason to suspect that someone will walk up to their camp and blast them.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Has it been explained why man in Black killed Maeve’s daughter? Or what Lawrence has to do with the maze ? Why did Kissy bring up Lawrence ?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

stoops posted:

Has it been explained why man in Black killed Maeve’s daughter? Or what Lawrence has to do with the maze ? Why did Kissy bring up Lawrence ?

MiB had a huge monologue about it last season. iirc, after his wife killed herself, he wanted to see if his wife and daughter were right about him being a monster. He wanted to know if he could be so dark as to murder a child, even if it was a host.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I'm looking forward to Train World where guests can experience the multitude of directions a train can move in relation to themselves.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

mustard_tiger posted:

I'm looking forward to Train World where guests can experience the multitude of directions a train can move in relation to themselves.

Thomas the Tank Engine must reach self-awareness through suffering

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

zeal posted:

Thomas the Tank Engine must reach self-awareness through suffering

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmaoooo someone dub the tophat guy with hopkins monologues

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

lmaoooo someone dub the tophat guy with hopkins monologues

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Have you ever questioned the nature of your usefulness?"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s hosed up that we’ve never met the employees responsible for the train IMO

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

TK-42-1 posted:

the train ... the train .... the train ... the train.

... the train?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

did someone offer this dude some amontillado

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pomp posted:

the actual story on the children's show was that engine didn't want to work in the rain because he'd just gotten a fresh coat of paint

so, since he wouldn't work, the railway bricked him up in there indefinitely

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pomp posted:

For the love of God, Pomp...

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zeal posted:

the actual story on the children's show was that engine didn't want to work in the rain because he'd just gotten a fresh coat of paint

so, since he wouldn't work, the railway bricked him up in there indefinitely

Wasn't he stuck on the track inside the tunnel and they couldn't get him out?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The trailer for next week's episode has me AMPED

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

eyebeem posted:

Wasn't he stuck on the track inside the tunnel and they couldn't get him out?

No, he just didn't want to get his new paint wet. So they removed the tracks and walled him in forever.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Topham Hat did nothing wrong.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i hate thomas the tank engine but my mother in law has a train fetish or something and constantly buys the books and shirts and toys for our kids. its white male capitalist propaganda trash though so I throw most of it away

here's an article that even talks about that new coat of paint episode what trash, the books are the same

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i still cant figure out what ake has to do with the direction the train was going?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"where we're going we won't need lights to see"

I'm liking this brave new direction for westworld. Someone call Sam Neil and tell him he can have a part alongside villainous A.Hopkins. But I repeat myself.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

------------------------------------------------------8<------------------------------------------------------

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ptkfvk posted:

i still cant figure out what ake has to do with the direction the train was going?

If the tech was being left behind in the desert with a single bullet to end his life before Ghost Nation showed up to super-murder him, Ake would be the one brandishing the knife. We now know Ake doesn't give a poo poo about murdering humans and was just playing a role while achieving galaxy-brain sentience.

With no Ake, there's no danger to leaving the tech in the desert outside of the Mesa, and no reason to give him the bullet.

It proves the tech was in the front of the train and it was moving forward.