Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Everybody knows the only metric that matters in Steam are the screenshots you take when playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Apparently Wreckfest got released and it seems to be good now? Anybody play it recently?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

they should use a blockchain to ensure that achievements are legit

:regd08: :unsmigghh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This game, like BoI is basically "operator error".. you can have a super strong run going and make one mistake and its over.. but its over because of your mistake and not something outside your control

In BoI, if the game doesn't give you +damage, your run is going to be noticeably more difficult. Is the game still winnable? Yes, but it's annoying.

In Slay the Spire, if the game doesn't give you +1 energy at the end of the first level, your run is going to be noticeably more difficult. Is the game still winnable? Yes, but it's annoying.

Honestly I feel like the problem has more to do with the really uneven and random-seeming difficulty of monsters past the first level. It feels like there's always at least one fight that is custom-tailored to gently caress your deck over, and the balance of tension between building a deck that can capably roll through the game vs. needing to limp through and avoid fights at all costs because you'll just random into a bad fight and die is slightly off. Especially since there's 15 extra levels of difficulty and a new endless mode coming, so it feels like the game could ease off a little bit at making early runs quite so lethal.

For as much as I like the game, I also kind of secretly hate how much the game revolves around system mastery to get the most out of. Oh, and the unlock system is bad.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 15, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jagged Jim posted:

Apparently Wreckfest got released and it seems to be good now? Anybody play it recently?

I'd like to know this as well if anybody has it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh hey a tactics looking game, let's see how this one is going to disappoint from the gold standard that is FFT

Oh, uh, geez how many fetishes does this game check off?

Also:

Light Gun Man posted:

There's actually an entire partially rear end-based morality system if you can believe that. The store page says you can touch the one girl's butt but the truth is you can actually touch almost any NPC butt. Even cats and dogs. Even the developer of the game. And all these NPCs have unique dialog about it. Sometimes you do this on accident, because they'll turn around while you're trying to talk to them. The more butts you touch the more of a bad reputation you get. Stores might stop selling you items and stuff. NPC dialog will change, people will start telling you to go die in the desert and stuff.

----

There's an evil version of the school swimsuit girl who catches you in an eternal text loop where she forces you to touch her butt and charges you 1000 money every time. When you run out of money she makes you take a butt touching loan and continues this until you are 10k in butt touchin debt, at which point she fights you.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Steam Thread 2018: Butt Debt

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Thought I'd plug this here since steam certainly won't.

Space Invaders Extreme is 30% off for the next two days. They also released a demo that has the first two stages so you can give it a try. Not only that but they are running a score contest for both demo only players and owners of the full version.

It's a small download for the demo and the game is pretty fun so why not give it a try? I don't have a twitter account to try this but figured someone here would be interested.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

i refunded that game. movement was floaty, so much so i was warping to the next screen mid-battle while trying to avoid attacks. while the inventory system is straight from a mystery dungeon game, very limited with weapons and armor having durability, weapons decreasing per swing.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

this is a system i can get behind

Orv
May 4, 2011
My new favorite Steam thing (was looking at some potential new games) is seeing negative reviews that have a stated hour count in the review, and then the accounts play time is listed as well over that. Video games.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You mean like someone says “I played 10 hours” but the page shows 27 hours in-game?

If so, that’s me (except I never write reviews). I am Mr. Pauseforhours.

Orv
May 4, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You mean like someone says “I played 10 hours” but the page shows 27 hours in-game?

If so, that’s me (except I never write reviews). I am Mr. Pauseforhours.

Yeah, but not reasonable times like that. Things like "I played this game for 20 hours and it's a buggy mess that doesn't work and sucks both my elephantine nuts." - 140 hours.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's possible the bugs were fixed in a patch and they never went back to rereview it because Steam reviews are just the bathroom-wall scrawlings of people making GBS threads without a mobile.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that's a good point.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's still funny though.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Orv posted:

Yeah, but not reasonable times like that. Things like "I played this game for 20 hours and it's a buggy mess that doesn't work and sucks both my elephantine nuts." - 140 hours.

Eh. It's not that odd. I know my playtimes are insanely inflated. I start up a game and it runs in the background for the whole night, but only play it for maybe an hour or teo while doing poo poo around the house or surfing or whatever. Of course Steam counts it as 5 but I didn't really play for 5 hours.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Jagged Jim posted:

Kibayasu posted:

I'd like to know this as well if anybody has it.

It's... weird. I guess it came out ok considering its poo poo devcycle but it still feels a bit undercooked. The driving is kinda realistic (there's toggles for ABS, traction control, etc.) but the surfaces aren't really simulated so it's like Flatout for people with steering wheels. There's even an option for manual handling with clutch.

There's career mode. You get points that you can spend on upgrading cars or buying new ones. The AI is practically braindead on the medium difficulty (there are 3 levels). The races are ok but some have the issue of not really showing when the turns are and there's no minimap.

Some performance issues, like seeing 20 cars at the start of the race slows my pc to a crawl. Even after that it can stutter.

Soundtrack's some screamy numetal that you turn off after five seconds. No idea why they wouldn't just license some Fu Manchu songs and be done with it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Steam reviews are kinda weird, anything that came out in the past few years, and wasn't an undisputed masterpiece probably has 'Mixed' recent reviews. It seems like a lot of people that review games after the first week are only doing so because they have an axe to grind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wonder if people who consistenly only buy games when they are deeply discounted tend to have more negative opinions overall, since the piece of media you're consuming is more disposable and you're less likely to be invested in the product if you didn't get it right away.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
There's hardly any incentive to give a positive review for a decent (but not awesome) game. And because there's dozens/hundreds of decent games coming out every year, the expectations for an awesome game are really high.

Meanwhile the spite is a really good motivator.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder if people who consistenly only buy games when they are deeply discounted tend to have more negative opinions overall, since the piece of media you're consuming is more disposable and you're less likely to be invested in the product if you didn't get it right away.

This is the exact argument nintendo fans use to excuse the lack of any significant discounts on the eshop.

Also, saying the game sucks after playing a huge amount of hours is silly, but then again you wouldn't know that Civ6 is poo poo after just a few hours. Some games require a huge time investment and people are really sore if it turns out that the systems or mechanics don't work properly or can be cheaply gamed.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

They hosed with the movement rules for scouting, that game sucks poo poo immediately.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It’s far easier to say why you don’t like something, with good games it’s often hard to quantify beyond a vague “it’s fun”.

People also have very different thresholds for this stuff, to take civ6 as an example - the ai was (is?) literaly unable to conquer a city if it has build a wall - to me that seemed ridiculous as it removes any pretense of challenge from the game so why even bother? But someone who was just gonna play on easy anyway and just wants to mess around wouldn’t care.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Have some screenshots, too

Light Gun Man posted:

Hi I played more Butt Explorer tonight and took some screenshots for your amusement, thread. Lots of these are the NPC dialog when they really hate you.

Zetsubou-san posted:

i refunded that game. movement was floaty, so much so i was warping to the next screen mid-battle while trying to avoid attacks. while the inventory system is straight from a mystery dungeon game, very limited with weapons and armor having durability, weapons decreasing per swing.

It definitely takes some getting used to. Every time you kill a new boss, you get 2 more inventory slots. If you finish one of the "no weapons at start" dungeons you get 16 more storage slots, too. The durability system is oddly complex because like...when your poo poo breaks sometimes it drops the lovely version of that item, then if that breaks it drops the materials for that item, which you can then sell to stores to level them up. So if you break lots of swords, you can improve sword stores, and so on. Food also apparently has a shelf life, raw food will eventually become "tainted food" which sucks, but if you set it on fire it will get cooked, and if you freeze it it will become frozen, both of which upgrade them to better food items.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 15, 2018

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Jagged Jim posted:

That game has just been all over the place. When it first started out and was just on the devs site before going to Steam (and I bought it from Bugbear's site originally) it was this batshit insane, ultra-destructible environment game where every race was just pure amazingly hilariously fun insanity, and racing was a distant second to just having fun in a smash-em up race. The AI was thick as two planks and there were guaranteed pile ups at every first corner and it ruled.

Then the "we want every racing game with some semblance of a physics engine to be a sim" crowd of idiots rocked up and did the standard "this game isn't what we want so change it" pressure approach until the devs caved or just did it anyway and changed it all up to a deadly boring sim-but-not-really game where you couldn't smash stuff because you'd lose and the smashing was no longer fun anyway. Also, all of what I just said may be completely wrong other than the change to sim (i.e. I don't know exactly what caused that massive shift in ideology).

Then it was going to be abandoned presumably because they'd spent so much time making one thing then trying to make another, and ran out of money.

Then I think that they were bought out and the focus is clearly much more on being like Flatout 1 but with damage being that much less consequential unless you're absolutely poleaxed at a track with an intersection, and 90% of object interaction being completely irrelevant. So think the driving physics of a slightly tighter Flatout 1 with the object interaction of Flatout 2 or Ultimate Carnage. So it's overall fun enough, the racing is fun enough, the physics is fun enough, but the pushing other cars into poo poo isn't quite right (unlike Flatout 1 where you can guide someone into a wall nicely) and the game kind of just feels somewhat schizophrenic, which is appropriate given its development I guess.

Also the AI is weird, it's (last time I played it) busted on some tracks so it drives literally into walls or down the wrong way and will randomly just make suicidal swipes at you with no warning even if it means crashing itself out. It has been a couple of months since I played it so presumably that stuff is fixed.

At some point it felt like it was going to be able to be refined into a true PC update of Test Drive: Eve of Destruction, and then they went all serious and then they kind of settled somewhere in the middle that doesn't feel like anything truly special. It's possibly changed a bit again with regards to how it feels as the 1.0 release article seems to imply that it's changed in some way, and I really should try it now that it's hit 1.0, especially as all the progress is apparently reset. I really hope they've put in proper console control for the menus as well. Like I said I haven't played it in a while. Not "recently" I guess, but close enough to have a reasonable appreciation of where it's at.

Having rambled all of that: the $45 pricetag I can see down in :australia: is an absolute loving joke and you'd want a 50% discount at absolute minimum before even considering it.

edit: I didn't realise I had the game still installed. v1.0 has changed basically nothing other than cleaning up the menus. I think maybe they were already controller friendly actually, I might be confusing it with a much earlier version, which I know had that same weird dichotomy between menus and racing ala Assetto Corsa, and the only other noticeable change is that the driving model is now even more smoothed out so it actually doesn't really feel much like Flatout 1 at all and just a pretty boring, run of the mill arcade racer. At $45 I wouldn't touch it with your ten foot pole, it would definitely need a deep discount or for you to get a demo/free weekend to get a feel for it yourself, I wouldn't even warily recommended it.

corn in the bible posted:

Also because she's a grimdark edgelord in a ridiculous world where she has to put up with dumb talking cats and Magilou.

Hey shut up you don't "put up with" Magilou you treasure every line of dialogue she says, every facial expression she makes, and every zany pose she adopts.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 15, 2018

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
What is the game's name, though?
Ignoring the butt touching, it looks moderately amusing. I think.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Iymarra posted:

What is the game's name, though?
Ignoring the butt touching, it looks moderately amusing. I think.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/705280/Hakoniwa_Explorer_Plus/

enjoy butts

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Never thought I'd see the day when Super smash brother combat was mixed with a FPS

Sky Noon

I think i'd give it a try, it has a western theme with replay ability

Anyone test it yet?.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I got a game from that yogscast thing that I don't want, Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, ???Y68F30E8578AD9A ???=First 3 letters of the 9th month.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

There's a Steam summer sale, right?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Artelier posted:

There's a Steam summer sale, right?

https://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/

should be coming up by the end of the month

I already bought Dying Light complete edition or whatever its called bc its down to $20 and I'm in on DL2 with Avellone and TW3 writers on board

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Orv posted:

My new favorite Steam thing (was looking at some potential new games) is seeing negative reviews that have a stated hour count in the review, and then the accounts play time is listed as well over that. Video games.

It's funny, I actually wrote a big thing once about the relationship between reviews and time played because I hate some of the objections that stem from it. Of course, it all assumes that the review in question is not

Ghostlight posted:

just the bathroom-wall scrawlings of people making GBS threads without a mobile.

:jihad:FPSummer :jihad:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver

15. Blood and Bacon

I tend to be harder on score attack and arcadey games because bigger numbers aren’t much of a motivator for me. I need a story to work through or things to unlock to keep me involved, so if all I’m getting is my name creeping up a scoreboard or the privilege of experiencing another slightly harder level, I’m out. That’s why I’ve been so surprised by Blood and Bacon, because for as simple as it is gunning down waves of evil piggies, I feel the need to keep on blazing away. It might be how fun the shooting is, it might be the loads of little secrets stuffed into it, or it might be how fully it embraces just how dumb it all is.

There’s no up-front explanation for why you’re on a ruined farm, why the pigs are rampaging, or why the farmer is pinned up on the barn wall with a pitchfork. Despite his predicament he’s perfectly content to order you out every day to mow down any pigs you find, occasionally supplying you with new guns or horrible, horrible jokes. Unless you’ve invited friends to blast pigs with you he’ll be the only human you see on the farm too, which should tell you right away where the emphasis is on this one. Still, the more waves you get through the more advice and secrets he’ll drop on you, hinting at the nature or locations of some of the little easter eggs around the farm.

You’ll find weapons on the walls of the barn, primaries like AKs and shotguns on one side and secondaries like revolvers and paintball guns on the other. Once you’re armed and you’ve spoken with the farmer you’re loosed on the field, which will be occupied by dozens upon dozens of pigs. All you have to do is end their simple lives, and in response they will charge you and try to chew you to death. Aside from your guns you can melee pigs to kill or stun them, or chuck grenades earned from the grinder by pushing dead porkers into the whirling blades. Unlike zombies or humans the weak points of pigs are obviously in their butts, so shooting them from behind makes them explode whereas doming them just makes their heads come off and their bodies even angrier.

There’s a tiny bit of strategy to be found here, such as stunning armored pigs and circling around to their posteriors for the kill, but mostly you’re going to be shooting until you run out of things to shoot. Every tenth day you’ll face a boss, usually one that you can only chip away at until you discover their weak point. Some can be very complex in their gimmicks, such as the giant princess pig you have to shoot in the butt until it explodes, then shoot her exposed colon until she starts jumping up in the air so you can shoot her heart from below. They can also be kind of gross, as you might have picked up. Blood and Bacon is big on spectacle, so get ready for fields full of blood, paint, chunked pork, and various other fluids.

For any other horde shooter, this would be enough to hold my attention for about fifteen minutes. But this one goes the extra mile by both spacing out new weapons and items and also dotting the farm with plenty of secrets to turn up. There are only about a dozen guns in the game but they unlock every couple of waves, which is a great way to keep you going if you see the silhouette of an uzi or P90 is next up. Similarly, items at the grinder unlock every ten levels or so, and it’s always a little adventure to load enough meat into the nasty thing to buy what you want. As you’re running about you’ll also see keys in odd places that unlock new hats, crests that can be shot for easter eggs, and other little tasks you can do for a laugh.

Sometimes I want mindless action to tide me over between more involved games, and Blood and Bacon is just that. I can run around and explode pigs to my heart’s content, and I can even search out some secrets while I do it. This one’s perfectly good solo as well, but you can also drag up to five of your friends into the slaughter too. It’s not much of a looker and while the weapon sound effects are impressive, they’re approaching potato recording quality. Still, what do you expect from a game about shooting pigs in the rear end? I expect loads of goofy action, and I definitely got it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'd say the opposite, honestly; I'm way more willing to excuse jank in a game I got for $5 on sale than one I spent $50-60 on.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I got bought a copy of a pretty cool little game called Fidel Dungeon Rescue for my birthday today and I figured I'd write up a quick review, because I think it might appeal to some of you guys.

Fidel Dungeon Rescue is basically a puzzle roguelite that feels like it would work really well on phones, though it's PC only for now. You control a cute little dog heading through a randomly generated dungeon, I think to rescue your (human) Grandma, though there isn't much in the way of story here. Each level has you start on one set of stairs and challenges you to earn a certain amount of XP and then head down the other set. You gain XP by just walking into monsters, but each time you do so you lose a heart - walk into a monster with no hearts left and you die. Luckily, medikits are liberally sprinkled around the tile-based dungeon floor, and each one fully heals you. This would make things pretty easy, except you're trailing rope behind you so you can't cross over your own path, a bit like a turn-based Snake. On top of that, there are different enemy types who can't simply be walked into - for example, three headed turtles have to be approached from behind - traps that can be deactivated by switches and more.

As well as opening the level exit, getting enough XP will level you up, giving you an extra max heart. Levelling up before the boss levels is pretty important, so you'll want to try and get more than the minimum required XP on each level, and trying to figure out the best path is a pretty fun puzzle. You can also choose which stairway you start on, and there are coins to pick up that you can spend to instantly use a bomb or a healing potion. Importantly, while you can't cross your path you can backtrack, which undoes the moves and restores your hearts/revives the monsters etc. Dying isn't immediately game over either, instead it spawns a ghost that starts at the entrance stairs and follows your path, finishing your run if it touches you. He also shows up if you take too long solving the levels, though the limit is pretty generous, at least as far as I've played - it just stops you spending forever trying every possible path. Each level is short enough that dying doesn't feel particularly punishing anyway, you can just jump straight back in.

The puzzles are all randomly generated in terms of monster and item placement, but there are a set number of level layouts that do start repeating pretty quickly. On the other hand there are also unlockables, and enough challenge that it seems to last most people about 15 hours from what I can see, and the random nature means you can always come back for more if you like it enough. The art is cute and the music is pretty good, although it doesn't do fullscreen very well. I prefer it in a window anyway, it makes a very good coffee break game. Simple to pick up and play but challenging enough to satisfy your milder puzzle cravings, Fidel Dungeon Rescue is a game I'd say is easily worth a look, especially since you will know if you like it or not well before the 2 hour refund window is over.

Oh, and there is a bark button.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 15, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo, I had completely forgotten about this game! I had no idea this was the same team that made that kung fu rabbits game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grapplejack posted:

I'd say the opposite, honestly; I'm way more willing to excuse jank in a game I got for $5 on sale than one I spent $50-60 on.

Yeah, same as you.

I'd also say that people who buy a game at full price on release (or even pre-order) might also be more inclined to be disappointed after riding a hype train, leaving behind an angry review. When you buy a game at discount it's been out for a while and there should be no lack of impressions of it, so unless you purposefully go in blind you will have a pretty decent idea of what to expect.

I think a lot of those people who hate a game they spend triple or even four digit hours have a serious problem with addiction or with using videogames as a coping mechanism, and the resentment in the negative review comes from being frustrated with their situation in life and the co-dependent relationship they established with videogames.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

My brother used League of Legends as a crutch when he was having some mental/emotional problems. Thankfully he's now using other games (like Stardew Valley) and is doing much better.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

il_cornuto posted:

My brother used League of Legends as a crutch when he was having some mental/emotional problems. Thankfully he's now using other games (like Stardew Valley) and is doing much better.

A particularly nasty and mind loving end to a relationship spurred me into co-leading a raiding guild into several server firsts in a WoW expansion. :shepicide:

Nowadays I'm not sure which was worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That butt game looks kinda neat for what it is. Shame it's...well, what it is.