Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, sure, there were warning signs, but people stay in lovely relationships with warning signs and issues all the time. If you love someone, and you think that person loves you (or they do, but in an incredibly hosed up way), then all logic and reason tends to fly out the window in favor of keeping the relationship going.

Also she was concerned about what would happen if she broke it off and, seeing as she ended up being blacklisted by the unnamed party (based on the lack of names, and the fact that Chloe's letter was ok'd by her lawyer, there's probably a suit pending) she was right to be concerned.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

END ME SCOOB posted:

Here's one of the most damning bits in miniscule that isn't a giant "oh god that's upsetting just to read":

Out of context of the whole article I would have thought that he was making a joke to lighten the mood, but in context that looks to be a very different story.

Also I hate assholes like this

https://twitter.com/KnivesChau00/status/1007566190171119616

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll admit to taking glee in Roseannes downfall tho

Aphrodite posted:

A few freelancers on Twitter saying they know the person who posted the story personally, and that it wasn't just some made up hit piece.

But also a lot of stuff linking to a possible obsessive anti-Israel internet stalker.

So who knows.

Yeah, these things can be tricky without quality corroboration or good investigative journalism. The George Takei thing, for example.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what’s this gal gadot thing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

what’s this gal gadot thing

When Medium took the post down, the poster made a site for it:
http://www.imasurvivor.xyz/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I mentioned Legion as a possible new show to a co-worker and it got me thinking.

It's such a specific show that I'm not sure that I can just recommend it to everyone, which then had me thinking of newish shows that I can do that with. So here's what I thought of:

Patriot
Atlanta
The People v. OJ Simpsons
The Good Place
American Vandal

These are shows that I can recommend that should be good for any types I think, intense tv watcher or just casual. Anyone got any other ideas?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bosch!!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How did Legion season 2 turn out compared to 1?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty fuckin boring with a couple great episodes and a trainwreck ending

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

On the other hand I thought the ending was fantastic and wouldn't want it any other way.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

How did Legion season 2 turn out compared to 1?

Bigger ups and lower downs, it was pretty unforgettable but you have to be really in tune with it to get the most out of it.

There's a meta-swipe at its audience at the finale that's guaranteed to make alot of people turn off the show I think.

Some of the most spectacular scenes I've seen on TV tho.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shageletic posted:

I mentioned Legion as a possible new show to a co-worker and it got me thinking.

It's such a specific show that I'm not sure that I can just recommend it to everyone, which then had me thinking of newish shows that I can do that with. So here's what I thought of:

Patriot
Atlanta
The People v. OJ Simpsons
The Good Place
American Vandal

These are shows that I can recommend that should be good for any types I think, intense tv watcher or just casual. Anyone got any other ideas?
I love Patriot but it is absolutely not a show I could blindly recommend to everyone like The Good Place. It's brand of dark, violent, farcical humor is not for everyone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Pretty fuckin boring with a couple great episodes and a trainwreck ending

An actual train wreck, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

New ST:D showrunner will be Alex Kurtzman

Isn't he the reason Into Darkness is so terrible?

E: Oh my god he wrote The Amazing Spider-man 2 AND directed the Mummy? How the hell does he still get work?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

E: Oh my god he wrote The Amazing Spider-man 2 AND directed the Mummy? How the hell does he still get work?

I mean he was already an EP so

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

I mean he was already an EP so

I'm starting to understand why Discovery is so divisive.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

STID isn't terrible, but yes, he's everything wrong with current Trek.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It had good (Saru, Tilly, Jason Issacs) and bad (Michael Burnham WHY IS HER NAME MICHAEL) parts but it's easily the best first season of a ST series to date.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

I love Patriot but it is absolutely not a show I could blindly recommend to everyone like The Good Place. It's brand of dark, violent, farcical humor is not for everyone.

Who doesn't like a Coen's movie?

e: what's wrong with michael? She's not a good actress?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love the Michael thing. Names change gender constantly over time. It's a neat detail when dealing with a show that takes place far in the future.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Soniqua Martin Green is fine it's just her character is really bad

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I never had a problem with her. I enjoyed the entire season.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Who doesn't like a Coen's movie?

e: what's wrong with michael? She's not a good actress?
Coen Brothers movies are to cinephiles that Tyler Perry movies are to black people. I saw Burn After Reading with some relatives and they were unanimous that it was one of the worst movies they'd ever seen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Coen Brothers movies are to cinephiles that Tyler Perry movies are to black people.

Deeply divisive because they push harmful stereotypes?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I love the Michael thing. Names change gender constantly over time. It's a neat detail when dealing with a show that takes place far in the future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hyatt

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Coen Brothers movies are to cinephiles that Tyler Perry movies are to black people. I saw Burn After Reading with some relatives and they were unanimous that it was one of the worst movies they'd ever seen.

lol ok you got me.

e:
She's great in Snowfall, which is a criminally neglected show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

YES

https://twitter.com/ErikLoomis/status/1007659458875527173

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't particularly like Burn After Reading but if you don't think that Barton Fink, Fargo, The Big Lebowski and No Country For Old Men don't have cinematic merit, well...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I think he and Roberto Orci (and Marc Webb?) came up through television with Abrams.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Except that they point out that she's the only woman named Michael anyone has ever heard of. Which loops it back to stupid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh oh, Herzog shooting in a jungle...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Except that they point out that she's the only woman named Michael anyone has ever heard of. Which loops it back to stupid.

Apparently it's Brian fuller's thing to name female leads like this, and he named her after some women actually named Michael.

Yes I absolutely had to Google this. I figured there had to be some kind of reason because yeah it's not great.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Rhyno posted:

I guess they're forgetting everyone's favorite Homicide: Life on the Street regular, Michael Michele.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat, for a minute there I was getting excited thinking he was going to make a show about Detroit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rhyno posted:

...oh. Well, that's dumb then.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

It had good (Saru, Tilly, Jason Issacs) and bad (Michael Burnham WHY IS HER NAME MICHAEL) parts but it's easily the best first season of a ST series to date.

Bryan Fuller loves having a lady lead with a boy's name, or name that can be shortened to one. George, Jaye, Chuck.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

lelandjs posted:

I didn't particularly like Burn After Reading but if you don't think that Barton Fink, Fargo, The Big Lebowski and No Country For Old Men don't have cinematic merit, well...
You've got an unintended double negative in there.

Sure, everybody likes The Big Lebowski, but I wouldn't blindly recommend any of the others you listed without knowing someone's tastes. I tried to watch Fargo with a friend who halfway through said they were bored out of their mind and they had no desire to finish it. There is a significant fraction of the country who do not want to watch a movie where a guy goes around murdering people with a bolt gun and no amount of cinematography and screen writing will change that, or a period piece full of sensible chuckles about a guy trying to rewrite a movie.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shageletic posted:

lol ok you got me.

e:

She's great in Snowfall, which is a criminally neglected show.
Hyatt should be much, much more famous than she is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Netflix just renewed Lucifer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Another canceled show saved:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1007722591757295616