Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'd think without the video, the Corolla with rear/side panel damage would probably come out ahead by default: the Audi hit the Corolla with the front of their vehicle and thus the assumption is that they were the cause of the accident, bereft of all other context.

With the video you have an idiot Corolla running a red light and an idiot Audi almost vindictively causing an accident.

e: I still think the Corolla comes out ahead because really the Audi could have just... not did the thing they did. They're both dipshits, all told.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

buttcrackmenace posted:

hard to say who's at fault here

the Corolla for running the red, or the Audi for ramming the Corolla after coming to a complete stop in the intersection ...

also : did you miss your turn?

Looks like the Audi saw the black Dodge dart and slowed down (didn't actually full stop), then didn't see the corolla ALSO running the light. It's an innocent mistake to assume that two people aren't going to run the light in front of you, a mistake the Audi driver probably won't make again. This is 100% the fault of the corolla driver, I hope they get what they deserve.

Also I think it's a Volvo not an Audi.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

buttcrackmenace posted:

the Corolla for running the red, or the Audi for ramming the Corolla after coming to a complete stop in the intersection ...

Car going straight through the intersection (Corolla) has the right-of-way.

Car turning left (Audi) will carry the bulk of the liabilty; hell, it stopped for the first car, there was no reason it couldn't have waited for the Corolla. After it passed, even on red, the Audi has the right to clear the intersection without interference, so the rush to turn was crappy judgement.

The side impact to the Corolla going straight helps the Corolla. The left-front damage on the Audi is just another nail in the liability coffin.

If I'm the insurer of the Audi, I would make a serious run at 15-20% comparative negligence with the adjuster handling the Corolla: it ran the red, and I'd claim I was already standing in the intersection...but I'd be prepared to go down in defeat.

From a statutory point of view, the Corolla should get a ticket for running a red; but statutory charges have little real bearing on civil legal liability.

(edit) woof, Audi actually impacted well past the center of the Corolla, at the rear wheel well. It's toast.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 15, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

buttcrackmenace posted:

I've watched it multiple times and had no idea who was at fault.

also: I cropped the beginning of the clip but I was in traffic and it was an extremely short light so when it turn yellow I was able to stop easily. Good thing I did!

Major Isoor posted:

What idiots! I think they should both have to pay for the damages to their own cars, personally. Both people involved were pretty stupid. Did you give your details to either of them, by the way?
I kinda hope so really, since without the video I think the person who ran the red light will end up in a much worse legal position than they deserve to be in, since they won't be able to prove (very easily anyway, I suppose) that the other driver is an equal-tier moron.

Honestly I was debating it at the time and probably should have stuck around but just drove around the Audi when my light was green. I'd been out since like 7am that day (accident was 10:20pm that night) and I was two minutes away from home and I just wanted to get my day over with. Not really a great excuse but I was exhausted.

My favourite part of this whole thing is the guy in the car beside me honking at pointing and laughing, he was having a great time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Craptacular posted:

What's the point of a dashcam with an integral screen? Pretty much everybody has a smartphone now. Just put wifi on the camera, connect your phone to the camera over wifi and watch the video on your phone. The camera will be lower profile and easier to mount, the screen will be easier to view, and I'm guessing a wifi chip and antenna is less expensive than an LCD screen.

To be honest, I use the screen to (a) aim the drat thing and (b) to make sure it actually has power, as the power supply occasionally pops out of the power socket in my car. There's also a bug in mine where if I happen to start the car just as the cam is powering down (it powers down 60 seconds after losing power), it never powers back on until I unplug it for about 10 seconds. It's nice having a visual indicator that it hasn't powered back up. I can't see the power LED when driving, but I can sure as hell see the LCD.

Mine does have wifi, but it takes 3-5 minutes to transfer a single clip to my phone with it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Shere posted:

I'd think without the video, the Corolla with rear/side panel damage would probably come out ahead by default: the Audi hit the Corolla with the front of their vehicle and thus the assumption is that they were the cause of the accident, bereft of all other context.

With the video you have an idiot Corolla running a red light and an idiot Audi almost vindictively causing an accident.

e: I still think the Corolla comes out ahead because really the Audi could have just... not did the thing they did. They're both dipshits, all told.

It depends on the state but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Corolla comes out ahead. Most driving codes include a catchall "duty to avoid/yield" type clause that basically says "even if you were following all the road laws, if you cause an accident that you clearly could have avoided then you will still be at least partially at fault". There's a plethora of videos online of cammers deliberately causing accidents at intersections where they see someone trying to beat/run a red left turn light and they floor it going straight to hit them. Then they are all shocked and outraged when the cop cites them or the insurance company splits fault.

There was a fun one a year or involving a cammer that was notorious for being extremely aggressive towards bad drivers (to generate more content for his youtube channel about how bad everyone else is at driving). Basically a minivan made a last second decision to take an exit and started to merge over with no signal right in front of the cammer. He then sped up to get next to her while honking and basically PIT-maneuvered the van off the road. He began posting smugly about it all over dashcam forums and when other people told him he was being a dangerous rear end in a top hat by not avoiding the crash (and even arguably swerving into the van to cause the crash) he would just fall back to "she's the one that was breaking the law, I legally did nothing wrong". Then he ended up getting found at fault (I think it even went to court and I'm pretty sure he's the one that took it that far because he was so mad about being any percentage at fault) and everyone had a good time laughing at him.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How would the Volvo (Audi) even reliably know that it was red anyway? They were past being able to see the lights.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
The kidney grills point to it being an X5, right?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

MrOnBicycle posted:

How would the Volvo (Audi) even reliably know that it was red anyway? They were past being able to see the lights.

Probably had a green left arrow.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

chrisgt posted:

Ah of course.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MrOnBicycle posted:

The Audi being the SUV in my video? Lights go red at the same time on both sides of that intersection.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

MrLogan posted:

The kidney grills point to it being an X5, right?

My first take was it was an X5/BMW but someone else said Audi and all of those samey luxury SUVs blur together to me so I just went with it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chrisgt posted:

Cross traffic had a green light before the impact. SUV was sitting in the intersection before the light changed, and tried to clear the intersection after it changed, didn't count on the Toyota running the light (or he was being a dick).

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The Aussie male x 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fdajpCKS1M

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You can see in the 'close up slow-mo' that the left front has a huge amount of negative camber as it's swerving to the side before any impact. That's a mechanical failure caused accident IMO.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Without even noticing that, it's 100%,mech failure causing a hard left. It's on a highway so it's not rwd acceleration oversteer, it's not phone or drunk driving veering either. It's just a "full steering left" crash so probably loose wheel or mechanical steering/suspension failure.

I did notice it swerve a bit to the left and the driver correcting to the right in the beginning while the vid is in fast forward but I put that to phone/idiot driving. Let that be a lesson to us all, if on a highway and the car seems swervey, pull off the road and wrench on your wheels to find anything loose or call for a tow.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 18, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Keep truckin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBBDlnkHWTo

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Coydog posted:

I hate linking a video on facebook but this is the only place this exists and ya'll HAVE to see it.

Dude on an R1 fails to brake on an intersection in atlanta, slams into the wall on the other side, goes through the fence, falls 50ft. He is claiming "brake failure" and apparently had leaking front brakes at the time. He could have stopped or cornered anyway, or shouldn't have been riding so fast.

https://www.facebook.com/11Alive/videos/10155620433240496/

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

:stare: How did he survive that?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Holy poo poo, did he go through the fence?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LongSack posted:

Holy poo poo, did he go through the fence?

Under.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
As shocking a crash as that is, it's great to see that at least three cars (including the dash cam driver) stopping to block the right-hand lane and have a gawk! Oh well, at least he survived

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Caught this winner on my dashcam a little bit ago on an errand run. I probably could have reacted quicker, but all's well that ends well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPaXg_zd8bQ

The driver looked like some old lady completely confused. I have absolutely no idea how she ended up on the wrong side of the road right there. After I passed she got in the proper lane heading south and zoomed off. I especially love the city cop that passes the situation a few seconds before I come across it, doing absolutely gently caress-all about it.

I'm also a witness to an upcoming bench trial thanks to a dashcam in my dad's car that I was driving in to work one evening. Unfortunately I don't have the video, as the police must have accidently moved the clip instead of copy, but hey. I wasn't going to cause a stink over it.

Basically what happened was a motorcycle and a monte carlo got in an impromptu street race right in front of me, and the biker plowed into the back of a slower car doing about 80. He had a girl on the back, neither of them riding helmets. Miraculously they both survived, but the state charged both that were racing, and numbnuts mcbiker decided to take it to trial. I can't imagine it's going to go well for him, as my footage clearly shows him and the car flooring it, and him utterly failing to cut around the slower car before eating it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enos Shenk posted:

Caught this winner on my dashcam a little bit ago on an errand run. I probably could have reacted quicker, but all's well that ends well.

The cop ignoring that is simply amazing.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

The Locator posted:

The cop ignoring that is simply amazing.

Krispy Kreme just turned on the fresh donut sign down the road.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
About a year ago, feeling evangelical because of this thread, I convinced a coworker to install a dashcam on their car (and I helped set it up for them)

Last month, someone cut her up whilst texting and gave them the finger when the horn was used. All this was clearly caught on the dashcam.

Well, in our region, you can submit dashcam footage online and complain to the police. So they did.

Yesterday, they got a letter informing them that the driver had been prosecuted for using a mobile phone and fined £200 and given 6 penalty points (that's half their license gone)

Very satisfying.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Enos Shenk posted:

Going the wrong way seems to be the theme in this months aussie dash cam compilation too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVaPzSQkSw

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

About a year ago, feeling evangelical because of this thread, I convinced a coworker to install a dashcam on their car (and I helped set it up for them)

Last month, someone cut her up whilst texting and gave them the finger when the horn was used. All this was clearly caught on the dashcam.

Well, in our region, you can submit dashcam footage online and complain to the police. So they did.

Yesterday, they got a letter informing them that the driver had been prosecuted for using a mobile phone and fined £200 and given 6 penalty points (that's half their license gone)

Very satisfying.

Brutal, well deserved, and immensely satisfying. Raging justice boner.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

spog posted:

Last month, someone cut her up whilst texting and gave them the finger when the horn was used.

:gonk:

...oh

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I love this guy's videos, but this one is something special:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NerbwzT-aW0

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah he said "whilst" which is a dead giveaway he's in the UK, and they say "cut up" instead of "cut off" over there for some reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

yeah he said "whilst" which is a dead giveaway he's in the UK, and they say "cut up" instead of "cut off" over there for some reason.

it's like how they have drink driving and maths classes and drugs abuse

bizarre language

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Why are you mounting it to the plastic trim vs the windshield?

It's the rear camera so the glass is mostly vertical. I'm pretty sure the enterprise-grade HD magnets I've been collecting over the years will make something that's almost crash resistant if I put enough magnetic mass on the mount.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Nocheez posted:

I love this guy's videos, but this one is something special:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NerbwzT-aW0

I just need a fuckin' stream of videos like this to play when I'm drunk with friends.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Sagebrush posted:

it's like how they have drink driving and maths classes and drugs abuse

bizarre language

Maths is short for mathematics. Did you only learn one mathematic at school? Didn't think so :smug: :britain: I can't explain the other two.

Also it is relatively rare that that kind of thing results in an action, she might know someone in the force.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Budgie posted:

Maths is short for mathematics. Did you only learn one mathematic at school? Didn't think so :smug: :britain: I can't explain the other two.

Actually I went to American public school so I only learned one math: how to use a calculator because I can't even handle long division.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, I get that this might not be 100% the best place to ask but well, it does kinda relate to my dashcam and I'd like your opinion on the matter, so I thought 'why not'.

So anyway, I'm in need of a new GPS unit for my car, but I'm absolutely sick to death of suction cap models that start falling off the windscreen, after a while. Are any of you aware of either models that come with adhesive mounts (like a dashcam) or perhaps a common/popular GPS model that has a third-party adhesive mount, that I can get?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Major Isoor posted:

Hey guys, I get that this might not be 100% the best place to ask but well, it does kinda relate to my dashcam and I'd like your opinion on the matter, so I thought 'why not'.

So anyway, I'm in need of a new GPS unit for my car, but I'm absolutely sick to death of suction cap models that start falling off the windscreen, after a while. Are any of you aware of either models that come with adhesive mounts (like a dashcam) or perhaps a common/popular GPS model that has a third-party adhesive mount, that I can get?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

A roll of this is a little pricey, but it is seriously strong and what Massachusetts uses to affix transponders to your windshield:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B00JHKTDMA/

You could take pretty much any dash cam with a suction cup, pop the cup off and use some sandpaper on the plastic plate, then bond it to the windshield with the 3M stuff and it would likely work great. It's like velcro but a bit stronger to break apart, and doesn't really wiggle.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

A roll of this is a little pricey, but it is seriously strong and what Massachusetts uses to affix transponders to your windshield:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B00JHKTDMA/

You could take pretty much any dash cam with a suction cup, pop the cup off and use some sandpaper on the plastic plate, then bond it to the windshield with the 3M stuff and it would likely work great. It's like velcro but a bit stronger to break apart, and doesn't really wiggle.

Oh wow, that's interesting - I didn't realize that was a thing! Hmm OK then, I might need to see if I can source some locally, perhaps. Since that sounds like it should certainly do the trick, assuming I can't find a GPS that comes with an adhesive mount to begin with.
(Also, do you have any idea on how long do those strips generally last, by the way? Assuming that it gets pulled off once or twice a week)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Oh wow, that's interesting - I didn't realize that was a thing! Hmm OK then, I might need to see if I can source some locally, perhaps. Since that sounds like it should certainly do the trick, assuming I can't find a GPS that comes with an adhesive mount to begin with.
(Also, do you have any idea on how long do those strips generally last, by the way? Assuming that it gets pulled off once or twice a week)

We buy that particular brand where I work - it'll hold up for a surprisingly long time, and this is in a humid, dusty warehouse environment. I can't give you an exact time period, though. Repeated removal isn't in issue, so long as you don't deliberately jack up the fasteners.