Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I need some recommendations for modern soul/funk bands, in particular ones that build a lot on the soul/funk of the 60's and 70's. Bands similar to the Poets of Rhythm would be excellent, and would be even better if the music was available on vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrSargent posted:

I need some recommendations for modern soul/funk bands, in particular ones that build a lot on the soul/funk of the 60's and 70's. Bands similar to the Poets of Rhythm would be excellent, and would be even better if the music was available on vinyl.

Try a Minnesota band called Black Diet, and a Canadian band called Five Alarm Funk.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

sharon jones & the dap kings

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings is exactly what I was looking for. Any other similar groups I should keep an eye out for? Five Alarm Funk had some cool stuff, and I enjoyed Black Diet, it's just a little more indie than I am looking for.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings is exactly what I was looking for. Any other similar groups I should keep an eye out for? Five Alarm Funk had some cool stuff, and I enjoyed Black Diet, it's just a little more indie than I am looking for.

You should also check out Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears

edit: Here's a few other funk and soul songs you might like.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 14, 2018

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I need some recommendations on bands. I want to get more into Progressive metal\Progressive Rock.

I prefer mixed vocals but I can deal either way.

Pretty late to this post, but I thought I’d recommend Animals as Leaders if you haven’t already heard of them. No vocals, just excellent prog metal, very high technical skill, Tosin Abasi has quickly become one of my favorite all-time guitarists and Matt Garstka is a drum legend.

Magpie13
Jun 30, 2004

I grew up ignorant of Metal. I am now addicted to King Diamond "Them", "Abigail" and "The Eye". Any other good 'rock opera' style, melodic metal out there?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Magpie13 posted:

I grew up ignorant of Metal. I am now addicted to King Diamond "Them", "Abigail" and "The Eye". Any other good 'rock opera' style, melodic metal out there?

Nobody does it quite like the King, but lots of power metal uses that kind of format at least. Avantasia has a whole “metal opera” project with a million guest vocalists. Blind Guardian’s “Nightfall in Middle-Earth” is about the Silmarillion and kicks insane amounts of rear end. Queensryche is more like a progged out version of 80s hard rock and heavy metal but Operation: Mindcrime is a good one. Savatage did a rock opera but they have better albums than that. Dream Theater’s “Scenes From a Memory” is good.

Also be sure to check out King Diamond’s original band Mercyful Fate. They’re insanely good.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

The Budos Band!

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

MrSargent posted:

If you're into comedic albums, Here Come the Mummies is loving great.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Flaggy posted:

The Budos Band!

Thanks! I realized that I should probably just check out everyone on the Daptone label. Looking forward to checking more out.

Beelerzebub posted:

If you're into comedic albums, Here Come the Mummies is loving great.

I am mostly looking for stuff to sample so I will definitely check this out, thanks a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrSargent posted:

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings have been mentioned, as has Black Joe Lewis.

In addition:

Charles Bradley (RIP), Sonny Knight & the Lakers, Eli "Paperboy" Reed, the Alabama Shakes, the Excitements, J.C. Brooks and the Uptown Sound, Curtis Harding, Leon Bridges, Lady Wray, Nick Waterhouse, Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night-Sweats, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, Vintage Trouble.

Now that's a lot of stuff. There's more, but that's a lot.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for more stuff like Townes Van Zandt. Hopefully more on the folk side than the country side, but I'm open. Looking for just acoustic guitar and a person, less someone with a full band (though if it really fits, throw it at me and I'll check it out even with a band)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for more stuff like Townes Van Zandt. Hopefully more on the folk side than the country side, but I'm open. Looking for just acoustic guitar and a person, less someone with a full band (though if it really fits, throw it at me and I'll check it out even with a band)

John Prine's first two albums
Connie Converse "How Sad, How Lovely"
Hooray For the Riff Raff "My Darkest Dearest Neighbor"
Vashti Bunyon "Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind"
Kris Kristofferson seems an obvious choice

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 16, 2018

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Bill Callahan
Blaze Foley
Roy Harper
Nick Drake
Tim Buckley
Bert Jansch
Bill Fay
Alasdair Roberts
Jackson C. Frank

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Steve Earle. A collaborator and friend of Townes, loved Townes so much his son's name is Justin Townes Earle (who also makes good music). He also did an album of Van Zandt covers called Townes.

Oh, and Kurt Vile, too.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 20, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for stuff like she, particularly Electric Girl, or modern synthwave like Scandroid but with female vocals. Something like Hollywood Principle (Firework in particular might be one of my favorite electronic songs) works as well.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Looking for music for panic attacks. Something instrumental, minimal, soothing, to help when my mind is racing a mile a minute and I'm stuck in fight or flight mode for no reason.

The best thing I've found so far is Music for Airports, but not all ambient stuff works. Soothing Sounds for Baby (ironically) makes it way worse from the repetitive high notes.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Goon Danton posted:

Looking for music for panic attacks. Something instrumental, minimal, soothing, to help when my mind is racing a mile a minute and I'm stuck in fight or flight mode for no reason.

The best thing I've found so far is Music for Airports, but not all ambient stuff works. Soothing Sounds for Baby (ironically) makes it way worse from the repetitive high notes.

Windy & Carl, Stars of the Lid, Darla Records' Bliss Out series (i like the American Analog Set one a lot)

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Max Richter, Amiina, Arvo Part, Erik Satie, A Silver Mt Zion, Eleni Karaindrou, Tangerine Dream, Gorecki, Jóhann Jóhannsson.

I'd also recommend a lot of stuff from the German Jazz label ECM, lots of minimalist, ambient jazz and world music like Jan Garbarek, Anouar Brahem, Ralph Towner, Egberto Gismonti or Keith Jarrett's solo piano concerts.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1tsAqPfGsmOydOiDeIywQ

Seith
Sep 28, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Check out The Traffic:

https://soundcloud.com/choi-productions/the-traffic-white-lines-grandmaster-flash

Also, the label Timmion Records has a lot of new Stone Soul joints being released by their artist roster on 7" regularly.

https://timmionrecords.bandcamp.com/

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

What are some more bands like Graveyard that are less Doom and more Bluesy. Satan is still fine.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Myrmidongs posted:

What are some more bands like Graveyard that are less Doom and more Bluesy. Satan is still fine.

Blues Pills for certain. I'll post more later if needed, but for now I gotta run.

EDIT: Alright, now that I'm back on the computer:

Pristine are sorta like Blues Pills, but maybe a bit less overtly retro while also leaning even harder on the blues, especially on their older albums.

Orchid always comes to my mind when talking about this kind of music, just because of the insanely cool riff in this song.

The Devil and the Almighty Blues is pretty much what it says on the tin.

Really just keep browsing that Youtube channel the last video is on, plus Stoned Meadow of Doom, and you're bound to run into something cool and not too doomy.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 2, 2018

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Nordick posted:

Blues Pills for certain. I'll post more later if needed, but for now I gotta run.

EDIT: Alright, now that I'm back on the computer:

Pristine are sorta like Blues Pills, but maybe a bit less overtly retro while also leaning even harder on the blues, especially on their older albums.

Orchid always comes to my mind when talking about this kind of music, just because of the insanely cool riff in this song.

The Devil and the Almighty Blues is pretty much what it says on the tin.

Really just keep browsing that Youtube channel the last video is on, plus Stoned Meadow of Doom, and you're bound to run into something cool and not too doomy.

Orchid is probably the closest at least what I had in my head but the others are interesting. Looks like basically just checking out more of Nuclear Blast's catalog.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Myrmidongs posted:

Orchid is probably the closest at least what I had in my head but the others are interesting. Looks like basically just checking out more of Nuclear Blast's catalog.

I dunno about that, Graveyard plus the bands I posted already comprise most of Nuclear Blast's blues/stoner rock roster. They also have Kadavar and Witchcraft, but I think that's about it. They're mostly just a general metal label.

Better off browsing the specialized YT channels, though admittedly it's quite a bit of very samey stuff to sift through.

Here's a couple more choice picks for good measure, I forgot I had this bookmark folder with a whole bunch of various music links saved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWL4aYigQsQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10V60dx4VaU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Anyone have anything similar to Sleigh bells’ Demons? The album and even that specific song seems so dissimilar from the rest of their work which seems to be throwing the google music mix for a loop.

Specifically the guitar intro is the kind of thing that I am looking for.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Myrmidongs posted:

Going purely off the recommendations below, you could check out Thulsa Doom.

Their first album is often described as stoner rock, but I think that undersells it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww3-tx_nzYU; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfJYoQ0BjQw
The second album is closer to blues rock (still a little stoner) but still very good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYSnJVipO9k; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0hgdmZ1JDY
We don't mention the third album
The fourth album is much less metal, but still pretty blues (ah, those reunion album blues): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hLCB6FLuI8; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wKtqYtFixM

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Looking for something similar to Dean Blunt's album Black Metal. The closest I've found is Lil Ugly Mane's hidden gem Wearing My Chain Tho. I want lyrics that are informed by hip hop and R&B but production that is more like raw experimental pop. Cloud rap doesn't quite fit either, it's too washed out with huge synths and autotune.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The best Mekons and Pogues albums, if you please

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 7, 2018

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

The first three, any order is acceptable.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Does anyone know stuff that sounds like Controlled Bleeding - Dub Songs from A Shallow Grave, especially this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORSFzjWNxPU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The best Mekons and Pogues albums, if you please

mekons rock & roll and fear & whiskey

the best pogues record is the poguetry in motion ep, but the first three lps are also fine

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Someone recommend me music that sounds like Lindsey Buckingham's Holiday Road. I'm serious.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Beeswax posted:

Someone recommend me music that sounds like Lindsey Buckingham's Holiday Road. I'm serious.

Like, bouncy, fun, and silly?

Jackson 5
Earth, Wind, and Fire
Echo and the Bunnymen

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Like, bouncy, fun, and silly?

Jackson 5
Earth, Wind, and Fire
Echo and the Bunnymen

Furiously hook-driven, fast and fun. Preferably faster than the above :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about the Stray Cats or the Brian Setzer Orchestra?

Madness?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Beeswax posted:

Furiously hook-driven, fast and fun. Preferably faster than the above :)

ummm George Michael's 'Faith' is fun and even has a similar vocal sound. Not quite as fast tho.
what about 'Ballroom Blitz' by Sweet?

r u just look for stuff to rip fat rails to?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Beeswax posted:

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO6D_BAuYCI

Built For Speed - Stray Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LlwuPmgkuI

Things Can Only Get Better - Howard Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OO9LloDSJo

I picked 3 because I'm not sure what part of the song you liked, really

If what you want is simply fast fun and hook-driven, I could suggest lots but they wouldn't really be the same genre. You gotta be more specific or you end up with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eToI-YtTiHM which satisfies those 3 elements but uhhh

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 10, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, what you could do is go on iTunes or Amazon and search for northern soul compilations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
lookin for catchy-rear end funk-jazz in the vein of Skerik's Syncopated Taint Sextet, TIA