Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Fighting a hydra and tiberius tries to cast chain lightning from his ring of spell storing. They told him once more how it works. Then he casts fireball twice and tries to go back after damage once he realizes he hurts the party. Everyone else is like gently caress off that's half the fun is the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I hope y'all weren't wanting more Gern.

https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-colored-glasses-6be0594970ca

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Is Gern the older guy?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

I’m not shocked at all. Hardwick has always struck me as a mild shithead, and this just confirms that’s he’s even worse.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

RC Cola posted:

Is Gern the older guy?

The guy in that article is Chris Hardwick.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Holy gently caress.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Teddybear posted:

The guy in that article is Chris Hardwick.

Well that's loving horrifying...I couldn't even get through the article before getting sick to my stomach. Jesus Christ.

I swear if anything bad ever comes about about Will Friedle or Joe Manganiello...

Edit - I’m glad Vex stole his broom!

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 15, 2018

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Sofia Vergara seems like the type who would take a knife to you if you tried that poo poo on her, but to be fair that's probably just me conflating her with her character on Modern Family.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Frumpkin is a black cat, right? He better be a black cat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Frumpkin is a black cat, right? He better be a black cat.

I think he's orange? He's actually Liam's childhood cat.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I think he's meant to be a bengal.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Awww. Still cute tho.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's ask the official artwork!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok so this white dragon fight is cool. I love the two guests!

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Yea, Mary and Felicia killed it - Mary continues to do so throughout the run, Felicia just the once.

What happened with Felicia's relationship to the show and the rest of Geek and Sundry? I know she sold Geek and Sundry to Legendary - was it just a straight up sale and then move on with our lives type thing, or was there bad blood there?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Nerdist and LDN have already loudly stated that Hardwick hasn't worked with them in a good two years since his contracted ended and they're scrubbing the Project Alpha site of any mention of his name. Chloe Dykstra is a good personal friend of several cast members (she and Hardwick were apparently already broken up by the time he guested on CR last campaign) so I can't imagine how upset they are.

RC Cola posted:

Ok so this white dragon fight is cool. I love the two guests!

Good news, Mary Elizabeth (Zahra) is one of the guests who comes back a lot. She's great every time too.

Silynt posted:

What happened with Felicia's relationship to the show and the rest of Geek and Sundry? I know she sold Geek and Sundry to Legendary - was it just a straight up sale and then move on with our lives type thing, or was there bad blood there?

I don't think there was any bad blood. I think she got pregnant and decided to focus on her family.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I assumed Felicia Day was still working there. Nothing in my very brief Google seems to indicate she left, what I've seen says she sold to LDN but "retained creative control."

I read her book, too, and I remember it mentioning the sale but not saying she left.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

So, not that long ago I made a terrible decision and purchased the Tal'Dorei campaign setting. It is an okay book and I would like to run something in that vein at some point in the future it would be neat. It is making me want a campaign setting for the new campaign setting though.

Also I think that's the most time the phrase 'campaign setting' has been used in a sentence.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Great timing making CR its own business so it'll still survive once Legendary inevitably drops Nerdist/G&S! haha!

nervous flailing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

Good news, Mary Elizabeth (Zahra) is one of the guests who comes back a lot. She's great every time too.

I found a video from a con where Travis and Laura explained how they met. They knew each other initially from acting work in Texas, where Travis (as you can imagine) was a frat bro. All the frat guys were big Dragonball Z fans, and one night he saw Laura's name in the credits. He freaked out and begged her to help him get an audition for the dub, which she didn't really do but he got it anyway. They dated on and off, moved to Los Angeles a few years apart, he helped her get an apartment, and they started dating again.

Mary Elizabeth ordained their wedding!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

God, Travis looks so young without facial hair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

I want her to come on this campaign and show Caleb, Nott and Fjordy how magic works DOWN IN JOISEY, YA JAGS!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I love how much they built on some of the more regular guests in Campaign 1, Zahra and Kash are the best, but especially Kash' absolutely-done-with-you-idiots reactions to some of their plans are fantastically deadpan

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Keru posted:

I love how much they built on some of the more regular guests in Campaign 1, Zahra and Kash are the best, but especially Kash' absolutely-done-with-you-idiots reactions to some of their plans are fantastically deadpan

the bit with NPC Kash where he just starts yelling for Vex and Keyleth to get out of his room is gold

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

the bit with NPC Kash where he just starts yelling for Vex and Keyleth to get out of his room is gold

Of all his impressions, Matt's Friedle/Kash is actually kind of eerie in terms of mannerisms.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Sion posted:

So, not that long ago I made a terrible decision and purchased the Tal'Dorei campaign setting. It is an okay book and I would like to run something in that vein at some point in the future it would be neat. It is making me want a campaign setting for the new campaign setting though.

Also I think that's the most time the phrase 'campaign setting' has been used in a sentence.

I frequently see Tal'Dorei campaigns looking for players on Roll20, and without a doubt, there is always something along the lines of "and you might even meet Vox Machina...", and I cringe at the idea. A few have been evil games promising you'd get to kill them. I thumbed through the setting and I think it's okay. The language of the book is definitely Matt. The word "form" comes up so many times.

Gaz-L posted:

I want her to come on this campaign and show Caleb, Nott and Fjordy how magic works DOWN IN JOISEY, YA JAGS!

"I know ring of protection, dear..."
"No, that's a ring, not a spell"

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 16, 2018

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I own the Tal'dorei guide and to be honest, I mostly bought it as some fun extra backstory into a story I love. I'm not going to run a game with it because either I'd be playing it with people who do watch the show and are just waiting for me to drop names they recognize, which I don't want to do, or I'd be playing with people who don't watch the show and it might as well just be my own custom world at that point and then why did I bother.

But it's fun as just extra reading about what's going on in Tal'dorei post Conclave.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

I own the Tal'dorei guide and to be honest, I mostly bought it as some fun extra backstory into a story I love. I'm not going to run a game with it because either I'd be playing it with people who do watch the show and are just waiting for me to drop names they recognize, which I don't want to do, or I'd be playing with people who don't watch the show and it might as well just be my own custom world at that point and then why did I bother.

But it's fun as just extra reading about what's going on in Tal'dorei post Conclave.

Pretty much.

Although, I do wanna try running a game about the Whitestone Rife's...

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I will say, the Tal'dorei campaign guide did give me a very strong idea of who Fjord's patron is. It's just a theory but I'll throw it in spoiler tags in case I'm right:

Mentioned in the Whitestone chapter of the guide, there's a section about the Shearing Channel, the stretch of water that separates Wildemount from the peninsula Whitestone sits on. It's not a popular trade route due to how deadly it is, but it's neverthless frequently traveled by people who need to get from point A to point B quickly. What most people don't know is that there's a Kraken who lives in the channel and that Kraken has been warped by contact with residue from Tharizdun. My guess is Fjord's ship sank somewhere in the eastern end of the channel and he washed up on the Menagerie Coast after a close encounter with a creature that combines the worst parts of an ancient monstrosity with the pure embodiment of malevolent chaos.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

CuwiKhons posted:

I will say, the Tal'dorei campaign guide did give me a very strong idea of who Fjord's patron is. It's just a theory but I'll throw it in spoiler tags in case I'm right:

That was actually 100% my guess too when the new campaign started- it just seems to fit so perfectly.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CuwiKhons posted:

Because it's hard to come up with an original campaign setting? I mean, I've done it, and maybe you have too, but there's a reason why so many adventuring bands crawl up and down the Sword Coast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, that second point basically writes off any campaign setting that isn't your own homebrew. And the first writes off playing in any licenced RPG, like Star Wars. There's certainly got to be a balance between having the 'real heroes' showing up all the time and having them have so little impact that the setting doesn't feel authentic, but it's definitely doable.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Because it's hard to come up with an original campaign setting? I mean, I've done it, and maybe you have too, but there's a reason why so many adventuring bands crawl up and down the Sword Coast.

I mean yes but I guess the difference is you have Forgotten Realms for generic fantasy land where every single generic fantasy checkbox is ticket off somewhere in the world and then there are things like Dark Sun, Eberron or Planescape if you want to do something a bit weird and different to generic fantasy. It's a tough sell picking Tal'derai as your setting as you're selling point is as 'hey you guys like Critical Role right'. For those into it I suppose it would be neat seeing the names but for anyone else its kinda miserable to be mixed in. To use the star wars analogy, its like playing with a bunch of experts talking about who this character is when they show up while you just sit there frustrated at the lack of mystery or new information. It stops being a shared learning experience to be mixed in setting experience in a pre-existing setting but especially bad with a pop culture thing. Hell I experience that in my game when I use something and one of the players pipes up that its from critical role or the adventure zone or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My policy as someone who runs a lot of licensed games or stuff set in pre-made universes is you don't run it with a group that doesn't have at least a fair bit of familiarity with the setting

Then again I don't know if "waiting for the canon characters to show up" is a common problem or not, just not one I've ever experienced.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

kingcom posted:

I mean yes but I guess the difference is you have Forgotten Realms for generic fantasy land where every single generic fantasy checkbox is ticket off somewhere in the world and then there are things like Dark Sun, Eberron or Planescape if you want to do something a bit weird and different to generic fantasy. It's a tough sell picking Tal'derai as your setting as you're selling point is as 'hey you guys like Critical Role right'. For those into it I suppose it would be neat seeing the names but for anyone else its kinda miserable to be mixed in. To use the star wars analogy, its like playing with a bunch of experts talking about who this character is when they show up while you just sit there frustrated at the lack of mystery or new information. It stops being a shared learning experience to be mixed in setting experience in a pre-existing setting but especially bad with a pop culture thing. Hell I experience that in my game when I use something and one of the players pipes up that its from critical role or the adventure zone or something.

What if the DM is the only person who watches the show?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Silynt posted:

Her redhead in chief duties were all taken over by Marisha, who will in turn be overthrown one day by Becca Scott.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I didn't get it off the ground since I chickened out on DMing it, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread I had some grand plans for an evil campaign set in a Tal'dorei where the Chroma Conclave won and divvied up the major cities/areas among each other, with the players basically working as agents doing the dragons' dirty work while each was sworn to a specific dragon and might get missions from them to show how they scheme against each other (Raishan wants a guy captured but Thordak just wants him dead, etc.) Arkhan was going to be the spymaster giving them missions, and I had plenty of cameos from various characters in mind, but I think it's a funner experience if you take this kind of alternate reality approach to it and put the characters into situations they didn't encounter in the show, or in whatever medium you're adapting into your campaign. Gilmore could be the head of the rebellion or he could be captured and forced to enchant magical items for the dragons. Vox Machina could all be dead, or you have a lone survivor working against the Dragons, or Raishan corrupted one of them into betraying the rest.

Subverting expectations can be fun for people who know the material, and if they don't then that can be interesting too since they're interpreting the character without X amount of the "baggage" of that character's history.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Oh no, I know. I just meant that to the players it might as well be my own homebrew setting because they're not getting anything else out of it. You're right that it would save some time on my end though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

What if the DM is the only person who watches the show?

Assuming none of your players are going in under the assumption that the setting for dnd = forgotten realms (holy poo poo was this a brutal realisation when I ran into it) then you've found the sweet spot where picking up a random campaign setting with stuff you like works. The danger is always if one of your players starts watching or knows enough about it from cultural osmosis to figure out whats up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Watch some Jorphdan videos. I, too, thought the Forgotten Realms was boring before I knew it's actual history and stories. Typing that out looks real dumb, right? The Time of Troubles is a cool story (and apparently game setting!). I'm not saying you in particular do or don't, just saying that perhaps you guys should give FR a chance.