Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
discovery goes back in time to discover the truth behind 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

discovery goes back in time to discover the truth behind 9/11

It was JFK and Amelia Earhart oh wait Voyager already did that one

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

What is it with Season 2 of a ST show and terrible writers' room environments?

Was ds9 exempt from this? (Must've been, right?)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

If Discovery gets axed for sucking there won't be TV trek again for another long time

I personally hope it gets its poo poo together and does well.

I don't think it will, mind you, but I'd like it.

At this point this would be exactly as tragic as if they finally cancelled The Simpsons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

At this point this would be exactly as tragic as if they finally cancelled The Simpsons

No I want Star Trek forever. Unlike the Simpsons, it will be new crews doing somewhat new things every six years or so.

We need what Trek should be

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

No I want Star Trek forever. Unlike the Simpsons, it will be new crews doing somewhat new things every six years or so.

We need what Trek should be

You fool

nothing lasts forever

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

You fool

nothing lasts forever

I can still want it to

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Star Trek suffers from the same disease as Star Wars. They have a sandbox as big as the universe itself to play in, yet they are afraid to deviate from a small handful of story elements.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

We're lucky TNG and Roddenberry were bold enough to be different and stick with it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alan_Shore posted:

We're lucky TNG and Roddenberry were bold enough to be different and stick with it

It was incredibly bold of them to copy a TOS script three episodes in.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's super funny to me how both shows started with massive production issues that were ongoing through their second year and it's just like drat man how do you gently caress something like this up that badly come on

Like in 20 years are we going to look back on Discovery's third season as this equally huge turning point for the series from our lovely future hovels like we do with TNG now or will it even make it that far because of what a shitpiece gong show it's been

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well right now the cast of characters seems weaker on Discovery, and the overarching "plot" is essentially nonexistent since season 1 ended the way it did.

Fingers crossed, but I wouldn't bet a nickel against a dollar that Disco ends up even half as fondly remembered as TNG, even among trekkies

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Was ds9 exempt from this? (Must've been, right?)
As far as I know yes. The real turnover on the show happened in Season 3 when the show was handed over to Behr and Moore full time, and Piller stepped back.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bloop posted:

Well right now the cast of characters seems weaker on Discovery, and the overarching "plot" is essentially nonexistent since season 1 ended the way it did.

Fingers crossed, but I wouldn't bet a nickel against a dollar that Disco ends up even half as fondly remembered as TNG, even among trekkies

It certainly won’t be half as well remembered (fondly or otherwise) because relative to TNG, nobody is watching it. CBS don’t release viewership numbers (lucky for them) but the total number of CBS All Access subscribers is apparently around 2 million. Even assuming every one of those people is watching STD, that’s less than a quarter of the amount of American households that watched TNG season 1. It’s even significantly less than the audience of late Enterprise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skasion posted:

It certainly won’t be half as well remembered (fondly or otherwise) because relative to TNG, nobody is watching it. CBS don’t release viewership numbers (lucky for them) but the total number of CBS All Access subscribers is apparently around 2 million. Even assuming every one of those people is watching STD, that’s less than a quarter of the amount of American households that watched TNG season 1. It’s even significantly less than the audience of late Enterprise.

I wonder how (or if) they're attempting to count the pirates in their internal viewership numbers. The first few episodes, at least, were popular enough :filez: that it made the news.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/star-trek-discovery-is-getting-pirated-a-lot/

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Absolutely, which is why I made the trekkies allowance. I mean, even as a percentage of people who watched it.

In absolute numbers it won't even touch people who fondly remember Voyager unless they move it off their dumb service

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

The Bloop posted:

Absolutely, which is why I made the trekkies allowance. I mean, even as a percentage of people who watched it.

In absolute numbers it won't even touch people who fondly remember Voyager unless they move it off their dumb service

oh they'll get desperate enough to start running the first season somewhere sane - maybe some sort of staggered release to whip up interest in the new season. it's already on netflix in other territories.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

skasion posted:

The global audience might be bigger than before due to Netflix carrying it, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've been saying all along that they could just run the drat thing on Showtime since it's a CBS network.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was incredibly bold of them to copy a TOS script three episodes in.

That's now what I meant, you big mean jerk! I was clearly talking about having all the drama come externally, as Roddenberry was adamant that humanity had evolved by then to be over petty differences. It made then more creative when coming up with stories as it was a total ballache to write around.

It's also why people remember TNG fondly and why watching it makes you feel at home, and welcome and optimistic. Look at Discovery. Bag of dicks, everyone hates each other. gently caress that. Lazy writing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The problems with this show are apparent from just watching it, but I've been mostly entertained. And I don't really get the kneejerk need to keep hoping this show fails or something.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

The problems with this show are apparent from just watching it, but I've been mostly entertained. And I don't really get the kneejerk need to keep hoping this show fails or something.

I'm a *touch* jaded after years of consistently lovely entries in the franchise. However, from my perspective, the show is an utterly soulless cash in that hides behind continuity references to fondly remembered things and characters and a very thin veneer of paying lip service to some sort of progressive/"star trekky" ideals in order to cover up that they're bringing nothing new to the table. Add the constant behind the scenes shitstorm clusterfuck, and the fact that they've been upstaged by more than one contemporary sci fi show in every regard, and the whole thing comes off like a miserably unfunny joke that won't stop trying to hit it's punchline. The goon in me still sees value in laughing at this, because I'm tasteless I guess.

Just it's just I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

gently caress

I don't care that TNG miraculously got better almost three decades ago in a totally different environment anymore, you know? Just put it down and stop trying to beat a dead horse.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Alan_Shore posted:

That's now what I meant, you big mean jerk! I was clearly talking about having all the drama come externally, as Roddenberry was adamant that humanity had evolved by then to be over petty differences. It made then more creative when coming up with stories as it was a total ballache to write around.

It's also why people remember TNG fondly and why watching it makes you feel at home, and welcome and optimistic. Look at Discovery. Bag of dicks, everyone hates each other. gently caress that. Lazy writing.

It's ironic that he felt that way given what a jerk he was to some of the women on the team when he was alive.

Also if anything the crew of TNG especially early on was pretty bland, and some of the best episodes come from interpersonal conflict. Like Wesley learning what the first duty of every starfleet officer is. Or Barkley and his ... social issues.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alan_Shore posted:

Those are two extremes though, there’s definitely a happy medium and it’s called DS9.

Hamstringing your writers by enforcing a “no internal conflict” rule is an extremely dumb move. I don’t care how altruistic the intent may have been, it’s extremely tough to generate drama without some kind of personality conflict. Your characters just end up as bland doormats.

Of course, Discovery went the polar opposite for the first half of the season and it was extremely rough. It was smoother in the back half, but still not great.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah, I think it's worth repeating that "maybe it'll get better" isn't a good defense for this show.

I've been entertained with what I got. That's it. That Mirror arc was fun. While they haven't figured out what to do with Burnham yet; Saru, Stamets, and Tilly were fine. And every moment we got with Lorca was fun; shame it ended so soon. And good that they ended the war arc when they did.

Behind the scenes drama is pretty bad news, and I don't have high faith in Kurtzman even though he was probably the less bad half of the Kurtzman/Orci duo. But whatever. Maybe I'll stop watching if it actually turns bad, which might happen, but hasn't happened yet for me at least.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hamstringing your writers by enforcing a “no internal conflict” rule is an extremely dumb move. I don’t care how altruistic the intent may have been, it’s extremely tough to generate drama without some kind of personality conflict. Your characters just end up as bland doormats.

It's an admirable and unique creative restraint, even if it's impractical to pull off to a T in the long haul. I like it as the ideal target to try to hit before resorting to conflict as usual. Like, yeah, you're going to have to have some interpersonal conflict eventually, but maybe let's do our best to see how else we can generate a story before going straight to that well.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Echo Chamber posted:

Like 90% of SA is 'lol look at this it sucks' so why are you surprised that people are entertained by STD making GBS threads itself?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I rewatched the pilot this morning after having seen the whole series, and I think what sticks out to me the most is that there's no reason at all for this to be a prequel.

The stuff with the Klingons? Not hard at all to imagine the Klingon Empire being in collapse a few years after DS9 and VOY. Take Ezri's speech to Worf about the blatant hypocrisy and political corruption in the Empire. Add to the corrupt trainwreck that's the Empire's leadership the new Chancellor Martok, a commoner, and the reforms he'd undoubtedly try to institute. He'd probably be popular with the commoners but the nobility that rules the Empire would hate him. Add to that how the Klingon Defense Force was probably bled to the bone by the Dominion War, both unable to maintain order within the Empire and probably forced to draft civilians. Add a backlash from the non-warrior parts of Klingon society against the primacy and blatant hypocrisy and corruption of the warrior caste, and say that five years after the end of the Dominion War, the Klingon Empire is collapsing and splintering amidst rebelling nobles, military warlords, and popular uprisings. All the stuff about the divided Great Houses in STD could easily be applied to the fragmenting Klingon states, and especially if some Klingon worlds are turning to the Federation (or even other powers like the Romulans or Tholians) for safety and aid, not at all hard to imagine a sect of hardline isolationist religious fanatics trying to seize power and reunite the Empire by faith.

Michael as Spock's secret adopted sister? Just make her outright half-Vulcan and Spock's legit little sister, say that Sarek may be old but he's still a man of vigor (he did remarry after the death of Spock's mother, remember) and Michael happens to favor her human genetics.

The Vulcan terrorists? Say it's a Vulcan separatist movement in the wake of the Dominion War that thinks Vulcan is better off on its own.

Lorca? In the wake of the war, Starfleet is hard-pressed for experienced captains, even men who in better times wouldn't be considered for command, and they're given a lot more leeway in how they run their ships than normal.

Saru's species? New race brought into the Federation.

Spore drive stuff? Brand new discovery, maybe tie the magic mushrooms into that Warp 10 salamander stuff or even fluidic space from Voyager - the tardigrade would certainly fit as something from Species 8472's neck of the woods.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
At the Saturn Awards, Discovery won best streaming series and Sonequa Martin-Green won for best actress. :toot:

https://trekmovie.com/2018/06/27/star-trek-discovery-wins-best-streaming-series-saturn-award-martin-green-wins-for-acting/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cythereal posted:

I rewatched the pilot this morning after having seen the whole series, and I think what sticks out to me the most is that there's no reason at all for this to be a prequel.

The stuff with the Klingons? Not hard at all to imagine the Klingon Empire being in collapse a few years after DS9 and VOY. Take Ezri's speech to Worf about the blatant hypocrisy and political corruption in the Empire. Add to the corrupt trainwreck that's the Empire's leadership the new Chancellor Martok, a commoner, and the reforms he'd undoubtedly try to institute. He'd probably be popular with the commoners but the nobility that rules the Empire would hate him. Add to that how the Klingon Defense Force was probably bled to the bone by the Dominion War, both unable to maintain order within the Empire and probably forced to draft civilians. Add a backlash from the non-warrior parts of Klingon society against the primacy and blatant hypocrisy and corruption of the warrior caste, and say that five years after the end of the Dominion War, the Klingon Empire is collapsing and splintering amidst rebelling nobles, military warlords, and popular uprisings. All the stuff about the divided Great Houses in STD could easily be applied to the fragmenting Klingon states, and especially if some Klingon worlds are turning to the Federation (or even other powers like the Romulans or Tholians) for safety and aid, not at all hard to imagine a sect of hardline isolationist religious fanatics trying to seize power and reunite the Empire by faith.

Michael as Spock's secret adopted sister? Just make her outright half-Vulcan and Spock's legit little sister, say that Sarek may be old but he's still a man of vigor (he did remarry after the death of Spock's mother, remember) and Michael happens to favor her human genetics.

The Vulcan terrorists? Say it's a Vulcan separatist movement in the wake of the Dominion War that thinks Vulcan is better off on its own.

Lorca? In the wake of the war, Starfleet is hard-pressed for experienced captains, even men who in better times wouldn't be considered for command, and they're given a lot more leeway in how they run their ships than normal.

Saru's species? New race brought into the Federation.

Spore drive stuff? Brand new discovery, maybe tie the magic mushrooms into that Warp 10 salamander stuff or even fluidic space from Voyager - the tardigrade would certainly fit as something from Species 8472's neck of the woods.

They would have to change the mirror universe stuff though. The Terran empire was destroyed long before DS9. Though I suppose shroomdrive could tap into a different alternate universe, nothing says there can only be one.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Absolutely undeserved. Best new media? Best actress? Are you kidding me?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alan_Shore posted:

Absolutely undeserved. Best new media? Best actress? Are you kidding me?
She wasn't even the best actress on this show. :confused:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Facebook Aunt posted:

They would have to change the mirror universe stuff though. The Terran empire was destroyed long before DS9. Though I suppose shroomdrive could tap into a different alternate universe, nothing says there can only be one.

Solution: the Terran rebellion sparked at the end of the DS9 mirror universe stuff found their way through the wormhole, allied with the Dominion, and reconquered the Alpha Quadrant. Then probably backstabbed the Dominion. Make mirror Georgiou the equivalent of Dukat, except competent and who won.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Exactly! What the hell!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Yes and not even close

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I thought she was a good actress, it was just her character that didn't do much for me

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Mary Wiseman is the most instantaneously likable Star Trek actress in like 25 years.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Facebook Aunt posted:

A new Terran Empire rose up after DS9. There. Easy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Mary Wiseman is the most instantaneously likable Star Trek actress in like 25 years.
She was a great find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate alternate universes. If it's a one off joke episode in TNG it's fine but gently caress all other alternate universe poo poo.