Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

New preview article from PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-hands-on-preview-e3-2018/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I know you guys are cynical but I'm looking forward to this, Division 2 and Forsaken. Fallout 76 can take a long walk off the short pier though. Gamebryo jank just doesn't suit the genre.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I’m really a mixture of both cynical and optimistic. I just REALLY want this game to be amazing. As we inch closer to release, I’ll have a real opinion of which direction I’m going in, but I can’t personally back out now...I’m the preorderer. :(

Game has incredible potential so I’m in this for the long haul either way.

Oh and Zed, I’m also mega excited for Div2, Destiny 2 Foreskin. Naturally, as I love this genre of games.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What potential
Destiny with a story?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Whoa now, pls respect destiny 2 and it’s engaging story about a man with a horn and a bald headed dude who loves infrastructure a whole lot.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BioWare doesnt have good writers left
They are gonna sell the game on gameplay alone?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

BioWare doesnt have good writers left
They are gonna sell the game on gameplay alone?

That is generally what people sell their games on

Back in my day you didn't need a story just a room full of demons and a BFG9000.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That is generally what people sell their games on

Back in my day you didn't need a story just a room full of demons and a BFG9000.

People have always sold games based on story though?

See: Ultima, Monkey Island, Myst etc.

Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
I was excited for this game until I read the no pvp part on the forum post :( I had heard of the game before thought it looked awesome but assumed it would have pvp.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Trogdor_666 posted:

I was excited for this game until I read the no pvp part on the forum post :( I had heard of the game before thought it looked awesome but assumed it would have pvp.
"you know the last remaining we did that was good, mass effect multiplayer pvp? let's not do that for this multiplayer only game"

edit: this post is wrong and should be shot to the sun. thank

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 15, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There was no pvp in Mass Effect multi.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

"you know the last remaining we did that was good, mass effect multiplayer pvp? let's not do that for this multiplayer only game"

Mass Effect multi was entirely PvE :psyduck:

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

New interview with Mark Darrah up. Some new info. https://www.pcgamer.com/bioware-answers-our-biggest-questions-about-anthem/

Some info that is scary: Confirmed that free play, when you’re roaming is at max 4 people. Yes, you and 3 others. This might as well be a single player game. The question PC Gamer asked is spot on.

Cool info: I do like diablo loot. I just, don’t know if they know what that means.

quote:

There's only four people in freeplay? That strikes me as quite a low number, especially if world events are triggering. Are world events designed to be soloed?

So world events are balanced above solo. You could solo them, but they will broadcast themselves and try and draw people back together. But what we're trying for with freeplay is, we're actually looking for a more solitary experience. We're not discouraging, but we aren't encouraging you to stay together, but then world events will draw you back together.

So in terms of crafting, is that how you work towards high level endgame stuff or is it more important to be doing events or other things?

So the balance isn't really clear to me yet, but you can do both. There are loot drops, and then as you get into the max level eldergame stuff that's where you're getting the infused shotguns of 'blah blah blah.' It's designed to be a very long loot chase, much more like Diablo than like Destiny in terms of there's a little bit of randomness in there. You can get the best shotgun and then get the shotgun with the best mod and then get the shotgun with the best stats. It gives you a lot more to achieve.

So looks like we will have random rolls on loot.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

im mad you can't smooch the robots

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AAB posted:

im mad you can't smooch the robots

Smooch DLC - :20bux:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anthem more like Requiem because Bioware is dead!!!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Chomp8645 posted:

Anthem more like Requiem because Bioware is dead!!!

Followed up by Dragon Age: Ossuary so what remains of the studio can finally be laid to rest alongside the bones of Bullfrog.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DancingShade posted:

Followed up by Dragon Age: Ossuary so what remains of the studio can finally be laid to rest alongside the bones of Bullfrog.

And Origin and Westwood and Maxis...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pretty sure if you wanna rip off someone else's game you're supposed to do it while they are still on the first title. Not halfway through the sequel!!!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Bosses are confirmed to have 4-5 phases. For the floor demo, the spider boss we saw at the end only had 2 but will have either 4 or 5 on release, as will all bosses.

Customization is also limited to face only for the game. So we can’t make our 600 lb life a reality. Very sad I can’t create myself now.

Last nugget I read was on world altering stuff:

As an example of their evolving world, they can say there’s a crazy snowstorm this weekend. That lake you used to dive into is now frozen over and you can get to a new cave. You’ve been to that place a bunch of times, but not in that situation. Now everything is different. The other thing is putting everything into an ongoing narrative. It’s not just that there will be daily and weekly events, there are character arcs and world lore story arcs. There’s a long-term narrative about what’s going on in the world that changes over time.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Game sounds a lot like borderlands, but with (potentially) more people, crafting and timed events. I'm skeptical.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Buried alive posted:

Game sounds a lot like borderlands, but with (potentially) more people, crafting and timed events. I'm skeptical.

I think most of us are. Plenty are writing it off (don’t blame anybody for that) but there’s some real interesting information that comes out each week. Some great ideas, some that are huge red flags.

I am very hopeful for the endgame and loot diversity. It seems like it’s getting a major focus so it has me excited. Things that don’t have me excited are 4 people per instance. That is barebones. I’ve come to grips with no PVP if they truly mean this allows them to go deep into the PVE game. We will see.

Some info out of an interview today.

quote:

What I thought were highlights of the video:

Interview with jon warner

* Defeat dominion, then challenges with the world.
* Early game - story/side missions, collecting other javelins, uncommon/rare gear.
* End game - higher rarity gear, bigger challenges (strongholds), world challenges.
* Weekly cycle - philosophically yes, still tuning it. They want you to always have a reason to come back.
* Ambient things to do in the world - farm mats etc. "Anthem all about cool traversal" They want you to explore around and discover things to fight/collect
* Storm - externally projecting power. Agile, interesting elemental attacks, nice change of pace when compared to ranger/colossus
* One "super" per javelin? - it is fixed. Everything else isn't and can be customized.
* Does personalization further than just paint? - Totally, add things to most pieces of armor to make it your own. They can look completely different (beyond paint)
* Very rare cosmetics are in game. They want you to have the "Whaaat?!?!" factor when other players see you.
* Loot picked up isn't revealed until you get back to FT. Tarsis/ Strider. (Decrypt like Destiny)

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Really cool interview with John Warner, Anthem Game Director:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/18/anthems-story-anchors-the-content-but-its-still-a-bioware-experience/

The big takeaway that stood out to me is that the world is dynamic in how enemies are laid out. If you’re at a waterfall and encounter a pack of enemies, you won’t always encounter that pack there on return.

You may go back later and a boss is there instead.

He also says this game is all about the loot chase. That’s refreshing—as long as the loot is interesting.

Good read though for those following along.

Here’s a follow-up article that talks the story of Anthem: https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/06/18/the-story-of-anthem

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

You may go back later and a boss is there instead.

Woah you mean sometimes one group will spawn. But other times a different group may spawn? Or just ONE stronger enemy???

Wow! Not since Diablo 1 and literally every monster-killing game since has something so innovative been seen.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Woah you mean sometimes one group will spawn. But other times a different group may spawn? Or just ONE stronger enemy???

Wow! Not since Diablo 1 and literally every monster-killing game since has something so innovative been seen.

savage

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

It’s all good. I can’t hate on a guy who likes awful games like I do either. No worries.

Gotta keep the information flowing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

It’s all good. I can’t hate on a guy who likes awful games like I do either. No worries.

Gotta keep the information flowing.

:cheerdoge:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
boycottingg until the romance dlc

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

tbh I'm not really sure why Bioware is the studio on this project. Doesn't really seem suited to their strengths.

Then again I guess DICE is too busy to make EVERY shooter for EA so they had to make someone else step up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Remember that Carth looking mother fucker who ambushes the player in the announcement trailer? That's your romance.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Like it's going to sell well enough to warrant dlc.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So enemy stages will be cool things like in dragón ball or something lame like bullet sponge

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

You know you've failed as a developer when all you're associated with are your terrible romance gimmicks and not your actual stories and/or gameplay. This is despite Bioware making some truly incredible games in the past, yet they did the equivalent of loving one goat and now it's all they hear about. Bit like EA and lootboxes.
Didn't they have to shut down their own official forums because all they ever attracted were strange people who focused entirely on that one aspect.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ME3 mp was fun for a couple of weekends so I think this will be too, question is whether there's a market for this kind of game amongs bioware fans. Personally I'm already off put by the idea that I should keep playing this forever, with games like these I prefer something I can beat then be done with it.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

another game cursed before it was even playable

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Personally I'm already off put by the idea that I should keep playing this forever, with games like these I prefer something I can beat then be done with it.

You're basically describing the 'games as a service' model, which isn't for everyone. It's deliberately a multiplayer co-op focused game with a focus on content over time, and EA made this clear from the start, even before Anthem was announced (they said Bioware was working on a Destiny competitor as far back as 2014)

If you're looking for a single player game this is absolutely not it, I'm sure you could beat the story solo but it won't be as elegant as traditional campaign experiences.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
SGA im just a lurker, but I played the marvel game because of your good posts, so thanks for posting. :unsmith:

I have an important question tho: are there animations to Suit Up? Like, one for each Mark?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

SGA im just a lurker, but I played the marvel game because of your good posts, so thanks for posting. :unsmith:

I have an important question tho: are there animations to Suit Up? Like, one for each Mark?

That’s awesome. Marvel for life. If you haven’t joined the discord, you need to. It’s where all the refugees are and it’s the only way we may ever come together again in another game in the future. Join away if haven’t! (It’s in the OP, it’s expanded quite a bit into other games and a large community obviously).

Anyway, to answer the question, that has not been detailed yet. In the demo, there is a scene of you climbing into your javelin in Fort Tarsis. You can roam in town without your suit, so from the looks of it, yes, you’ll be shown in first-person loading into your suit.

As for specialized load-ins into each javelin, not sure yet!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imo seeing your romantic partner out of their suit should be the culmination of any given romance quest. Like sex in previous Bioware games. That way they can have Tali level anticipation but for every romance!!!

And then no matter who you choose when they take off the helmet it's Carth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

what if you wanna smooch the suit