Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Wasn't the second Death Star in ROTJ literally the Death Star but bigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/LivioRamondelli/status/1006384885668253696

khwarezm posted:

Wasn't the second Death Star in ROTJ literally the Death Star but bigger?

it was. return of the jedi was a sign of things to come.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

khwarezm posted:

Wow, I didn't hear about this, what was the synopsis?

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...s-a8398606.html

"And how would that have related to the sequels? “[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world,” he continues. ”But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.”

Any Star Wars fan worth their salt will recognise the Whills. The first movie was initially part one of the ”Journal of the Whills” before being retitled Star Wars (and then retitled Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope). The Whills, present in Lucas’s earliest drafts, were an order of immortal beings who seemingly controlled everything through the Force.

“Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles for the Whills to travel around,” Lucas tells Cameron. “We’re vessels for them. And the conduct is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force.”

In other words, rather than the Force being some mystical thing people could control, the Force was a literal thing being controlled by a set of beings behind-the-scenes. All that ‘chosen one’ malarkey was purposely created by the Whills – they created certain destinies for people. "

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Jim's got a few updates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L591_bIsBLQ

Highlights:

Better internet means more livestreaming on twitch, and generally trying to move away from the Youtube focus

They'll be getting a new office to better said streaming and improve logisticsfor skits like Commentocracy.

Sterdust won a match.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sterdust won a match.

Bully, says I! BULLY!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

business hammocks posted:

If anyone followed the Cracked youtube channel, Maggie Mae Fish from those quasi-critical media chat shows has struck out on her own as a genuine critic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0nAkXOkMs

It’s pretty good, although it swings pretty broad near the end—there’s at least one more part coming to this video about fathers in film.

Also it contains some massively hosed up info about the marketing of Man of Steel I had somehow never heard about.

I'm convinced now that I watched a completely different Man of Steel than nearly everyone else

edit:: finished the video and christ it is awful. Remember when the video called Pa Kent abusive but never followed up on that thought

Lessail fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 16, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you'll find a good home with the crazies in cd.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

All that video was missing was saying that Superman actively killed people during the fight with Zod

At least it didn't try to argue that he killed that family

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pa kent was done poorly in t he movie sorry chum.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Son I believe you have these powers for a reason, to help people, to inspire them. Also let people die when it'd be bothersome to reveal your powers. Also I'm going to sacrifice myself to keep your powers hidden in front of you, for sure this won't gently caress you up for life."

A normal dad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The video doesn’t present a conclusive argument about Pa Kent or Thanos but notices how a lot of weird poo poo just kind of filters into the presentation and character of movie dads because of all the ideas about dads that have concatenated into modern film via our weird, sick culture.

Like, she’s not saying he’s an abuser within the text of the film, but that he does some things that, divorced from the language and conventions of film, are abusive because Americans have normalized elements of abuse within the stories we tell. In the world of the film he’s not bad, but viewed in absolute terms he does things that, if you saw them in your own family, you might find bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, it’s not even any one particular view he expressed that makes Pa Kent a dodgy character. It’s that he switches back and forth between completely contradictory moral lessons in every flashback. First he’s telling Clark that he should just be an ordinary kid, then that he’s an amazing person with a great destiny ahead of him and he should accept that, then he’s right back to ‘please be normal’ again. Like, if there’d been some sort of character arc there, yeah, I could see that, but there’s no remotely clear flow or chronology to it. It’s just like Clark alternates between having two totally different dead adoptive dads depending on which flashback we’re in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

So am I. I have nothing against the people who made it, the actors or anything. I just felt it was the least necessary movie to make out of all the possible star wars films and had zero interest in seeing it.

The fundamental problem with Solo is that, while a solidly-constructed film (and one I enjoyed watching), is that it had a string of explanations instead of an actual plot; Here is how Han met Chewbacca. Here's where he got his trademark DL-44 Blaster. Here is where he first met Lando. Here is the infamous Kessel Run.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

"Son I believe you have these powers for a reason, to help people, to inspire them. Also let people die when it'd be bothersome to reveal your powers. Also I'm going to sacrifice myself to keep your powers hidden in front of you, for sure this won't gently caress you up for life."

A normal dad

Being taken in and made a pawn of US imperialism sure would've been a better life, I agree

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The fundamental problem with Solo is that, while a solidly-constructed film (and one I enjoyed watching), is that it had a string of explanations instead of an actual plot; Here is how Han met Chewbacca. Here's where he got his trademark DL-44 Blaster. Here is where he first met Lando. Here is the infamous Kessel Run.

Which is exactly what everyone predicted it would be. I've mentioned it before, but like as far as star wars prequels go they could do some poo poo in the old republic time line and that might be good. But if they did, I doubt they'd do anything but retread the revan storyline which wouldn't be so good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

Which is exactly what everyone predicted it would be. I've mentioned it before, but like as far as star wars prequels go they could do some poo poo in the old republic time line and that might be good. But if they did, I doubt they'd do anything but retread the revan storyline which wouldn't be so good.

I think a Boba Fett movie could potentially be good, because he's pretty much a blank canvas outside of Legends canon. That said however, the only way I think it could actually be good is if they leaned hard into doing the Star Wars equivalent of an ultra-violent out-for-revenge/Dredd style film. Anything with real character depth to humanize Boba Fett is just not going to make the fans happy because of their preconceived expectations of him and it'll tank like Solo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

zack snyder is making a fountainhead movie

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh, yeah. A solid movie about him just being a stone cold bounty hunter developing the reputation he has by the time we see him in the original trilogy could be cool. But I find it hard to imagine them making a movie with a protagonist like that in a star wars film.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Bravest of the Lamps has been threadbanned for at least two months, and yet here we are again squabbling about Pa Kent's portrayal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRifKEf0xr8

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

This is the least surprising news in the history of film.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alaois posted:

Can't wait to see how he handles the legitimate rape scene!

Wait, no, ignorance is bliss!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Boba Fett got developed in Star Wars The Clone Wars and it's dumb.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know if I'd say "developed" since he was dropped before he did anything anyway.

I mean, moviewise his arc is :

Is a child
Watches his father die at the hands of a jedi

Is an adult bounty hunter
Gets eaten by a sarlacc

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it’s not even any one particular view he expressed that makes Pa Kent a dodgy character. It’s that he switches back and forth between completely contradictory moral lessons in every flashback. First he’s telling Clark that he should just be an ordinary kid, then that he’s an amazing person with a great destiny ahead of him and he should accept that, then he’s right back to ‘please be normal’ again. Like, if there’d been some sort of character arc there, yeah, I could see that, but there’s no remotely clear flow or chronology to it. It’s just like Clark alternates between having two totally different dead adoptive dads depending on which flashback we’re in.

It is an incoherent, self-contradictory worldview, but that's kind of the point. He wants Clark to be heroic, to do all he can do, but can't handle the possibility that that might lead his child to come to harm. It's a very American viewpoint, the same set of ideas that leads cops to shoot people because they don't want to risk the physical harm that might result from nonlethal options. I'm particularly thinking of an incident in Elgin, Illinois, covered on a recent episode of Wyatt Cenac's Problem Areas, where cops shot a woman with a knife after explicitly, on body cam, discussing nonlethal options and the chief defended the officer's actions by asking something to the effect of "do you expect an officer to risk getting stabbed trying to take this woman down?" That's the sort of worldview Jonathan Kent represents, that cowardly desire for glory without risk. It's clearly presented as a flawed worldview, given the fact it leads to him not being able to answer the question "is it okay for a bus full of children to die because of your son's inaction" with any confidence, and it's one Clark has to discard in the course of becoming Superman.

It's certainly not perfect, I agree with the critique Folding Ideas presented in a video that's probably very old by now that the nonchronological structure is implemented in a way that muddles character arcs, but there is something going on there.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Superman is a huge magnet for Hollywood movie creator’s projection. Just these garbage lumps of nepotism imagining that their parentage gave them any actual abilities. That their unearned power weighs them down with any responsibility.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Speaking of people being harassed off the internet, didn't that just happen to one of the Stranger Things actresses?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think a Boba Fett movie could potentially be good, because he's pretty much a blank canvas outside of Legends canon. That said however, the only way I think it could actually be good is if they leaned hard into doing the Star Wars equivalent of an ultra-violent out-for-revenge/Dredd style film. Anything with real character depth to humanize Boba Fett is just not going to make the fans happy because of their preconceived expectations of him and it'll tank like Solo.

my friends talked about how dredd type idea might be good. like fett is after a bounty on a prison station or some poo poo and it all goes to hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv_26E-a_mA

just a grimy lovely prison planet or some poo poo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, people made fake homophobic Instagram captions of her until others assumed they were real.

this is a 14 year old btw

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of people being harassed off the internet, didn't that just happen to one of the Stranger Things actresses?

I feel like it's safe to assume that every nerd property actress has probably been harassed off the internet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lessail posted:

I'm convinced now that I watched a completely different Man of Steel than nearly everyone else

edit:: finished the video and christ it is awful. Remember when the video called Pa Kent abusive but never followed up on that thought

Pa Kent abused me by being a lovely character in a lovely movie.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I Before E posted:

It is an incoherent, self-contradictory worldview, but that's kind of the point. He wants Clark to be heroic, to do all he can do, but can't handle the possibility that that might lead his child to come to harm. It's a very American viewpoint, the same set of ideas that leads cops to shoot people because they don't want to risk the physical harm that might result from nonlethal options. I'm particularly thinking of an incident in Elgin, Illinois, covered on a recent episode of Wyatt Cenac's Problem Areas, where cops shot a woman with a knife after explicitly, on body cam, discussing nonlethal options and the chief defended the officer's actions by asking something to the effect of "do you expect an officer to risk getting stabbed trying to take this woman down?" That's the sort of worldview Jonathan Kent represents, that cowardly desire for glory without risk. It's clearly presented as a flawed worldview, given the fact it leads to him not being able to answer the question "is it okay for a bus full of children to die because of your son's inaction" with any confidence, and it's one Clark has to discard in the course of becoming Superman.

It's certainly not perfect, I agree with the critique Folding Ideas presented in a video that's probably very old by now that the nonchronological structure is implemented in a way that muddles character arcs, but there is something going on there.

There's so drat much going on. That's the problem, really.

You've got the bones from Nolan's treatment (the thesis of which is basically just a rehash of "what if $CHARACTER's origin is tainted by the flaws of their mentors" from his Batman movies), plus Goyer's big, sticky fingerprints of "if you do it out of order that makes it art", and lastly Snyder's massive boner for Randian symbolism, macho posturing, and the loneliness of the ubermensch.

All that stuff is crammed into one movie and the end result is that none of it pulls through in a really satisfying way.

The idea of a second chance for Krypton, expressed through two conflicting ideas of what that means, is probably the best developed thread in the movie, but it's still not a thread that Clark really cares about at all, and is still ultimately crowded out by all the other stuff plus mundane romance B-plot that fails to intersect with literally any other theme at all.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Today is becoming a good day for the game "Sargon talking about Muslim migrants or Moviebob talking about the Midwest".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Superman makes for a boring superhero. He's OP and should never have been allowed as a character class.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Superman makes for a boring superhero. He's OP and should never have been allowed as a character class.

What if he we tell him to not be a hero and to destroy a whole town.

R U interested yet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

What if he we tell him to not be a hero and to destroy a whole town.

R U interested yet.

Who is/are the protagonist/s now, then?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Who is/are the protagonist/s now, then?

Zod? gently caress if I know

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Zod? gently caress if I know

I mean, your protagonists, you want them to be some kind of a reasonably balanced party, they'll eventually get really good but they have to feel like they have something at stake. Like you need your fighter, your healer, you spellcaster, and your devious character, at a bare minimum.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here's my pitch (pun intended): just make Chronicles of Riddick but put Vin Diesel in a dumb looking helmet and swap the Necromongers out for Imperials.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The best incarnation of superman is still the one in the DCAU where he was, by far, the weakest and even then every other fight they had to just be like "Oh no, MAGIC" and have him get hurt so he couldn't fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
DCAU understands character dynamics incredibly well and the scene where Supes finally cuts lose and lays the beatdown on Darkseid while causing minimal damage was great. Sure he threw him through multiple buildings but the episode made it clear they'd prepared for Darkseid and they were empty.