Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my friends talked about how dredd type idea might be good. like fett is after a bounty on a prison station or some poo poo and it all goes to hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv_26E-a_mA

just a grimy lovely prison planet or some poo poo.

https://twitter.com/FredCStresing/status/1000065690290806785

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Superman makes for a boring superhero. He's OP and should never have been allowed as a character class.

Superman is actually a very good hero because he dispenses with the obvious bullshit that anything in comic books has actual tension or stakes so he might as well have world ending powers since he'll end up in basically the same place as 'more realistic' Spiderman or Batman anyway. Instead he can be a refreshing emblem of plain decency in a hostile world and always works best in that setting of being a chill guy who happens to be able to bench-press Jupiter.

Read All-star Superman to see the best aspects of the character or even What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way? since it was funny to see Superman respond to usual 'You're so boring and safe!' complaint by loving with the guys complaining to the point of pants making GBS threads horror and then going 'Ha, psyche, I'm actually still a boring boy in blue and it's clearly much better off that way'.

Also echoing DCAU Superman, they get the character down to pat and really test him and his convictions in some great episodes, especially the aforementioned ones with Darkseid but also their version of 'For the man who has everything'. The best superman episode was 'Hereafter' in Justice League which you should just watch right now.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 16, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

khwarezm posted:

Read All-star Superman
no

quote:

The best superman episode was 'Hereafter' in Justice League which you should just watch right now.
no

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Sorry about the case of bad taste. It seems terminal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Mxyzptlk episodes are pretty funny too.

khwarezm posted:

The best superman episode was 'Hereafter' in Justice League which you should just watch right now.

Yeah that episode loving rules.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

You don't have to read or watch anything Superman if you don't want to, but there's one comic from really early on that has Clark taking Lois to a Superman movie and trying to distract her so she misses the part of the movie where Superman reveals his secret identity that's really fun, wish I could remember the title.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

I Before E posted:

You don't have to read or watch anything Superman if you don't want to, but there's one comic from really early on that has Clark taking Lois to a Superman movie and trying to distract her so she misses the part of the movie where Superman reveals his secret identity that's really fun, wish I could remember the title.

Makes me think of superdickery, which is a blogsite dedicated to showing off Superman comic covers where he is being an rear end in a top hat to others.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I Before E posted:

Thank you for respecting my choices. Now to watch yet another video of a loud dude playing a trolly Super Mario Maker level. You know, culture. :smaug:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

Makes me think of superdickery, which is a blogsite dedicated to showing off Superman comic covers where he is being an rear end in a top hat to others.

It's partly that, but it's much less in the Silver Age "Superman, to teach Lois a lesson or something, engineered a wacky scheme" tradition most of those covers come from than a sitcom-y "Superman didn't know this movie was going to be about him, much less have his secret identity revealed on screen, so now he has to come up with an idea on the fly", which imo is much more fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

lobster22221 posted:

Either that, or Jimmy Olsen getting married to an ape for the sixth time.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

The animated movie of All Star Superman is pretty solid and has the bonus of Superman being voiced by Jamie Denton and not Stephen Baldwin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If it's not Tim Daly or the Justice League gut he's not superman to my ears

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's not really All Star Superman if you're not intensely studying every bizarre detail of the way Frank Quitely has decided faces should be, and no movie can really capture that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

khwarezm posted:

Superman is actually a very good hero because he dispenses with the obvious bullshit that anything in comic books has actual tension or stakes so he might as well have world ending powers since he'll end up in basically the same place as 'more realistic' Spiderman or Batman anyway. Instead he can be a refreshing emblem of plain decency in a hostile world and always works best in that setting of being a chill guy who happens to be able to bench-press Jupiter.

Read All-star Superman to see the best aspects of the character or even What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way? since it was funny to see Superman respond to usual 'You're so boring and safe!' complaint by loving with the guys complaining to the point of pants making GBS threads horror and then going 'Ha, psyche, I'm actually still a boring boy in blue and it's clearly much better off that way'.

Also echoing DCAU Superman, they get the character down to pat and really test him and his convictions in some great episodes, especially the aforementioned ones with Darkseid but also their version of 'For the man who has everything'. The best superman episode was 'Hereafter' in Justice League which you should just watch right now.

The episode where he fights Captain Marvel after a long-con of Luthor being a dick and doing everything he could to provoke superman was great, too.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I Before E posted:

It's not really All Star Superman if you're not intensely studying every bizarre detail of the way Frank Quitely has decided faces should be, and no movie can really capture that.

Fair.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Also I'm pretty sure the movie cuts the best line.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The episode where he fights Captain Marvel after a long-con of Luthor being a dick and doing everything he could to provoke superman was great, too.

The whole Cadmus arc in JLU was fantastic start to finish, it really felt like the writers got what Superman was supposed to be and what kind of issue powers on that level would cause. They even got you to love The Question, a nobody D List character.

Too bad nothing since The Dark Knight Returns has been any good, with the Killing Joke being one of the worst things I think they've ever put out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Their DC animated films are so scattershot. You have great stuff like Under the Red Hood next to trash like Killing Joke, wacky stuff like Batman: Ninja and pandering crap like the TAS "inspired" Harley Quinn movie.

But it does have an Adam West animated feature which is objectively the best.

The more I see the more I'm convinced that Paul Dini is the true strength behind the DCAU and Bruce Timm is just a pervert whose fetishes were reined in by broadcast standards.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 16, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Asuron posted:

The whole Cadmus arc in JLU was fantastic start to finish, it really felt like the writers got what Superman was supposed to be and what kind of issue powers on that level would cause. They even got you to love The Question, a nobody D List character.

Too bad nothing since The Dark Knight Returns has been any good, with the Killing Joke being one of the worst things I think they've ever put out.

It was an arc about how terrifying superheroes can be if they are left unchecked in a kids cartoon.

Also avoided being grim and dull

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I Before E posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the movie cuts the best line.

It cuts "You're much stronger than you think you are?"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Their DC animated films are so scattershot. You have great stuff like Under the Red Hood next to trash like Killing Joke, wacky stuff like Batman: Ninja and pandering crap like the TAS "inspired" Harley Quinn movie.

The more I see the more I'm convinced that Paul Dini is the true strength behind the DCAU and Bruce Timm is just a pervert whose fetishes were reined in by broadcast standards.

If everything he's done involving Zatanna is any indication Dini is just as extra about his horny as Timm.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

It cuts "You're much stronger than you think you are?"

That's a good one too, but I was thinking of "who was J. Lo?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I Before E posted:

If everything he's done involving Zatanna is any indication Dini is just as extra about his horny as Timm.

Perhaps, but the way Harley Quinn has been portrayed in just about everything after Return of The Joker makes me cringe. She's done pretty well in the Injustice games, but I prefer the crazy lady whose legitimately funny over "sexy clown slut"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I would say it was Dwayne McDuffie who pulled it together for JLU. His presence elevated the material.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was an arc about how terrifying superheroes can be if they are left unchecked in a kids cartoon.

Also avoided being grim and dull

Exactly right. I have no idea why DC is so obsessed with being "grim" in all their latest takes, because they clearly do not know what to do with that type of tone for their material. Teenage melodrama and constant gory violence does not make what they write any good, it just serves to undermine the material they have. Not to mention all the creepy sex scenes they write. I honestly cannot imagine a more cringeworthy scene than the sex scene they put in the Harley Quinn movie, although the one between Batgirl and Batman in the Killing Joke comes pretty close.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 16, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Asuron posted:

although the one between Batgirl and Barbara in the Killing Joke comes pretty close.

That takes the phrase "go gently caress yourself" to a whole new level.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
DC fans have got a very selective memory. Bennett said it best in his recent Teen Titans review: Teen Titans fans don't actually want the anime style TT back, they want Batman Beyond. The old Titans tv show was 80% anime inspired cringe from the glut of awful mid 2000s shows brought stateside and 20% Deathstroke propped up by Ron Perlman's performance.

Why haven't we gotten a new Batman Beyond movie or show at this point is beyond(hah) me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arcsquad12 posted:

DC fans have got a very selective memory. Bennett said it best in his recent Teen Titans review: Teen Titans fans don't actually want the anime style TT back, they want Batman Beyond. The old Titans tv show was 80% anime inspired cringe from the glut of awful mid 2000s shows brought stateside and 20% Deathstroke propped up by Ron Perlman's performance.

Why haven't we gotten a new Batman Beyond movie or show at this point is beyond(hah) me.

What?

Why would they want a completely different show that was on average worse.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

What?

Why would they want a completely different show that was on average worse.

VolticSurge posted:

Sorry about the case of bad taste. It seems terminal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like Batman Beyond.

But it was an up and down journey.

Which the best material wasn’t even in the show proper

I think that the toxicity of the TT fans have caused people to be a bit revisionist

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 16, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The true true strength in the DCAU was Dwayne McDuffie who was heavily involved in some of the best stuff in Justice League (including Hereafter and the whole Cadmus arc) after Timm and Dini had taken a much less involved role in the series, he also was the creator of Static Shock, and then he died :(

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like Batman Beyond.

But it was an up and down journey.

Which the best material wasn’t even in the show proper

I think that the toxicity of the TT fans have caused people to be a bit revisionist

Yeah honestly BB is super erratic in quality (and I think BTAS was even more erratic, fight me people who haven't watched the show in years but have strong nostalgic attachments). It's just that when BB was good, it was real good and the concept of cyberpunk batman with Batman being a cocky teen being trained by a cranky old Bruce Wayne who's body has forced him to take on the Oracle role turned out to be a masterstroke even if it wasn't fully realized.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 16, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I can't remember if it was ever brought up in this thread or only several times in BSS and my mind is just cross-pollinating them but I can't let this mention of Dwayne McDuffie go by without taking the chance to bring up Teenage Negro Ninja Thrashers

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps, but the way Harley Quinn has been portrayed in just about everything after Return of The Joker makes me cringe. She's done pretty well in the Injustice games, but I prefer the crazy lady whose legitimately funny over "sexy clown slut"

Same here. Also turn Poison Ivy into a tree or something. Whatever. Just give her and Wonder Woman pants or shorts at the least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Batman Beyond had a superb aesthetic that really worked well with what they could easily do in TV animation at the time. Really great use of bold, simple colours and designs.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

lobster22221 posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...s-a8398606.html

"And how would that have related to the sequels? “[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world,” he continues. ”But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.”

Any Star Wars fan worth their salt will recognise the Whills. The first movie was initially part one of the ”Journal of the Whills” before being retitled Star Wars (and then retitled Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope). The Whills, present in Lucas’s earliest drafts, were an order of immortal beings who seemingly controlled everything through the Force.

“Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles for the Whills to travel around,” Lucas tells Cameron. “We’re vessels for them. And the conduct is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force.”

In other words, rather than the Force being some mystical thing people could control, the Force was a literal thing being controlled by a set of beings behind-the-scenes. All that ‘chosen one’ malarkey was purposely created by the Whills – they created certain destinies for people. "
Xenu Wars.

"Why Stop Motion is Underrated".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYt7rDT1N4

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Boba Fett is being directed by James Mangold and everyone's saying "Yeah, do Logan but for Star Wars" but I keep thinking, "No, do 3:10 to Yuma but for Star Wars with Boba Fett as the Russell Crowe character".

Another rumour is that there will be an Obi-Wan movie with Ewan McGregor and Stephen Daldry will direct, so there had better be singing and dancing and Obi-Wan had better befriend a kid who works on a moisture farm but wants to do ballet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm very confused by his half-second clip of A Town Called Panic in a discussion about great stop-motion films. It shows he knows about the film, but its absence in the rest of the piece implies a criticality or self-consciousness to some degree about its visual style because it doesn't feature anywhere else in the several minutes dedicated to clips from the same half a dozen films.

He flips quickly from praising stop-motion as the production of many artists to celebrating it as the remaining refuge of the film auteur without seeing any contradiction, and without acknowledging that this is also not unique to stop-motion. Both CGI and real-world films take artists of all kinds to assemble, and they do so under direction of a film-maker with a certain vision.

Also in his discussion about the timelessness of stop-motion there's like, nothing, nothing he shows that has been made before his childhood. There's no Harryhausen, there's no Gilliam, there's no Zeman whom they - among Tim Burton and Wes Anderson - cite as an influence. And I realise this is because primarily the overall talk is about stop-motion films rather than stop motion itself, but those are historically and visually relevant clips to show if you're trying to establish the timelessness of stop motion (seriously, if you haven't watched anything by Zeman they are amazing) over CGI. Actually, Nightmare Before Christmas was made in 1993, so that might count, but that itself is on the rear end-end of a half-century of stop-motion films that could be shown over talking up the timelessness of a 10 year old film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the all star superman movie did luthor's epiphany totally wrong. in the comic he breaks down when he realizes how superman sees the world in the movie he just kinda explains it. it's the most important scene and they totally botch it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

I recently watched a bunch of Teen Titans and it was still good.
Maybe people just have different opinions from you?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Augus posted:

I recently watched a bunch of Teen Titans and it was still good.
Maybe people just have different opinions from you?

Well they describe it as anime nonsense so I doubt they have watched the show at all.

It’s art style is anime like but it’s still a very western cartoon in content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The only good Superman was Red Son and unfortunately the ending was bad.

Otherwise he's just a terminal case of the borings.

Though I guess Injustice did fine too, with him and a number of other heroes going all the way down the totalitarian bastard path. Plus it was funny to have confirmation that of course Hal Jordan would turn into a bootlicker for the regime.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 16, 2018