Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Also a topography that actually makes sense. Not just a fallout/TES type town with NPC/SHOP, but a town or city that actually feels like one. Even the forests are packed with details, deer paths, hidden little pagan shrines, streams and geological features that just make sense.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just want to say that the cab drive in the pic in the OP rules:

I am not sure if he is making small talk to the heavily armed cyborgs about if they have any big plans or if he is just singing Indian music to himself as he drives.

Either idea makes me smile.

he is probably gonna melt them all like in heavy metal.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't understand refunds. I haven't bought a game I didn't like ever since public reviews were implemented. There's always more than enough people in the negative reviews giving detailed pros and cons lists and those should be enough to tell you whether the game's for you.
E: To be clear, this isn't about you personally disliking this one specific game (though you're crazy obviously), it's about the general case.

Playing a game for one hour will tell me a lot more about it than reading a few reviews

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

There is probably the first game I’ve ever known so little about and yet was so assured it would be a masterpiece. Even the cynical goon hive mind seems buzzing with positivity for this game. I think that’s neat!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Andrast posted:

Playing a game for one hour will tell me a lot more about it than reading a few reviews

That’s what I use YouTube LPs for, without risking Steam not refunding for reasons. 2 hrs of gameplay in some games just isn’t enough of a test drive.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

That’s what I use YouTube LPs for, without risking Steam not refunding for reasons. 2 hrs of gameplay in some games just isn’t enough of a test drive.

Steam will refund you no questions asked if you are under 2 hours played as long as you aren't doing it like constantly

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

That’s what I use YouTube LPs for

is there a name for or category of LP's or other game streaming things like Twitch where it's just the person playing a video game SILENTLY without them trying to tell jokes or yelling at the screen or chatting up whoever is watching?

of course I can just turn the volume off it but would be nice to be able to hear some of the music and sound design in games i'm interested in maybe buying without some nerd yelling on top of it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Earwicker posted:

is there a name for or category of LP's or other game streaming things like Twitch where it's just the person playing a video game SILENTLY without them trying to tell jokes or yelling at the screen or chatting up whoever is watching?

of course I can just turn the volume off it but would be nice to be able to hear some of the music and sound design in games i'm interested in maybe buying without some nerd yelling on top of it

Longplay. Sometimes just playthough, though that depends on the uploader.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

ughhhh posted:

Also a topography that actually makes sense. Not just a fallout/TES type town with NPC/SHOP, but a town or city that actually feels like one. Even the forests are packed with details, deer paths, hidden little pagan shrines, streams and geological features that just make sense.

When I was playing W3, I actually noticed that the large river that separates Velen and Novigrad doesn't make much sense. The shoreline is too jagged and doesn't look like it's been smoothed out by erosion at all. There are several large ships docked at Oxenfurt, yet parts near the mouth of the river are shallow enough to run across, an addition to several large, fixed bridges that are too low to sail a ship underneath.

But yeah, other that that one nitpicky detail, that maps in that game are all fantastic.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXPGMPFA828

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1007686241926688768?s=21

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Earwicker posted:

Rinkles posted:

Longplay. Sometimes just playthough, though that depends on the uploader.

Sometimes they get classed as "walkthrough" or "[GAME] cinematic/movie" or whatever, too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I search for "no commentary"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I search for "no commentary"

God, yes. I never want to listen to youtubers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't understand refunds. I haven't bought a game I didn't like ever since public reviews were implemented. There's always more than enough people in the negative reviews giving detailed pros and cons lists and those should be enough to tell you whether the game's for you.
E: To be clear, this isn't about you personally disliking this one specific game (though you're crazy obviously), it's about the general case.

Ya know, I never do returns either, but I legit felt robbed by that one. Scammed even. I read the reviews, I watched what gameplay I could find, and it was positive. It ended up being trash. If I paid like $10 that would be one thing, but it was a $30 excuse for a game.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
So I bought Witcher 3 last night. Goddamn this game looks good! I only got through the first cutscene because my meds kicked in right as the DL finished but I’m planning on picking a fat sack of weed and killing a Gryphon tonight

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Anyone getting into W3, feel free to post about in the Witcher 3 thread, people love hearing about people experiencing it for the first time, and the thread still avoids big spoilers

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Anyone getting into W3, feel free to post about in the Witcher 3 thread, people love hearing about people experiencing it for the first time, and the thread still avoids big spoilers

Witcher 3 the Wire of Video Games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack2142 posted:

You cannot lose if you do not play?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ughhhh posted:

I went sailing for ages and found nothing like treasure or items, but I did find a little shrine facing the sea with a bear sacrificed on it. I enjoyed the sailing a lot and did it just to see what was out there.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Jack2142 posted:

And all the pieces (of witcher gear) matter

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GrossMurpel posted:

Remember though that 99% of user reviews are written by cunts with no taste, and that there's a risk every review is written with either a meme or some awful internet controversy behind it.

Genuinely though there's been a handful of occasions where I've read (real) reviews, watched the You Tubes and only after playing myself realised it wasn't for me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
That's a very likely part of a Posergang. They're gangs that all affect the same look, through whatever combination of style, hardware, and bodysculpting is necessary. It's equally for protection (hard to find a specific person if everyone in the gang looks the same), identification, and the straight up impact of having an identical swarm bearing down on you.
Yes, there's an in-lore reason to have clone mooks for enemy fodder. The base manual mentions the Kennedys gang (400 strong) who are all done up to look exactly like JFK.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

So I bought Witcher 3 last night. Goddamn this game looks good! I only got through the first cutscene because my meds kicked in right as the DL finished but I’m planning on picking a fat sack of weed and killing a Gryphon tonight

I wish I could bottle the feeling of killing that goddamned Gryphon and then stuff happens. And then some more stuff happens. And then you look at the game. And pull outward and there's more game. And pull outward further still, and still: more game. And then you look at the DLCs and... yep. Those are fully motherfuckin fleshed out retail games, just chillin in this game. And then you pull out further and THERE'S STILL MORE loving GAME.

and there's that little voice inside that's like "well, surely at some point in this utterly hopeless venture I'm starting b/c i have brain problems, I'm gonna find the filler content. I'm gonna find the things that were just slotted in there because nobody gave a gently caress about it. Surely not all of this loving poo poo is a lovingly handcrafted experience for me to discover at my own pace."

but it never happens.

If I could bottle that feeling, I'd OD on it. Not even kidding.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

also, ^^^ this. Just please don't restart the Triss/Yen thing tho. i'm guilty as hell of it, but it invariably devolves into KinkChat and it goes about as well as you'd expect in Games. to wit: poorly.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 16, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I sure hope so. Otherwise I'll finally buy that private VPN my security provider keeps hawking to me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ughhhh posted:

I think the best example of this recently was Kingdom Come: Deliverance. They used satellite imagery to recreate a part of 1400s Bohemia and I haven't played a game before or since that had such a sense of space and a reality around how everything was constructed and laid out.

A master-class in world-design. I hope CDPR continues their tradition of stealing the best ideas from other games to polish theirs to perfection!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think the best example of this recently was Kingdom Come: Deliverance. They used satellite imagery to recreate a part of 1400s Bohemia and I haven't played a game before or since that had such a sense of space and a reality around how everything was constructed and laid out.

A master-class in world-design. I hope CDPR continues their tradition of stealing the best ideas from other games to polish theirs to perfection!

Oh god yeah, I took a look at the town that was Rattay back in the day in google earth and holy poo poo, I knew the whole area it was kinda freaky

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

Oh god yeah, I took a look at the town that was Rattay back in the day in google earth and holy poo poo, I knew the whole area it was kinda freaky

While looking amazing and feeling just right, the problem i found with kingdome come was the space didn't help the narrative. You knew when something on the world map was placed by the devs for story purpose or some easter egg etc. You could say it felt like the ?geographical uncanny valley?.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

i liked that game a ton and i can't wait for the dlc and the sequel.

on cyberpunk. everything about the previews gives me a Dredd vibe and if can get that experience, i am in.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thinking about the clothing / cool system made me realize it's a great way to gate content. Maybe people in uptown just won't talk to you if you're not wearing the latest hot poo poo, which you straight-up can't afford early on. Hell, maybe you can get counterfeit threads but there's a chance of someone noticing and laughing you out of the zone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did Pondsmith do any interviews this E3 (besides w/ Angry Joe and the brief one already posted)?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked that game a ton and i can't wait for the dlc and the sequel.

on cyberpunk. everything about the previews gives me a Dredd vibe and if can get that experience, i am in.

I noticed in one of the interviews they said it was hard creating seemless transitions between the outside world and the megatowers, which were little towns unto themselves.

I am ~really~ hopefully this means that those big arcologies will be fully realized interiors with shops and NPCs, little villages within the larger city. If they have a Peachtrees vibe from the Dredd film, so much the better. The car chase scene reminded me a lot of the opening to Karl Urban's version, so ripping that off would not be unwelcome.

I was a little worried when one of the devs was skittish about answering whether a crime scene they showed off was static or dynamic. It would be really cool if, when NPCs went at each other ala Farcry5, after it was all done rescue teams came out and cleaned up the bodies while the cops did a little crime scene thing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Remember though that 99% of user reviews are written by cunts with no taste, and that there's a risk every review is written with either a meme or some awful internet controversy behind it.

Genuinely though there's been a handful of occasions where I've read (real) reviews, watched the You Tubes and only after playing myself realised it wasn't for me.

People always bring this up and it's such a silly point to make. I specifically mentioned reading the ones that make actual pros and cons list, not just one sentence meme reviews, and even you talked about reading "real reviews". Surely, the ability to find information among bullshit is one of the key skills anyone on the internet needs to have. The funny thing about Steam reviews is that you can mostly ignore positive reviews because of that.
Out of interest, do you have any recollection what those games were where even gameplay videos didn't prepare you enough for the experience?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

People always bring this up and it's such a silly point to make. I specifically mentioned reading the ones that make actual pros and cons list, not just one sentence meme reviews, and even you talked about reading "real reviews". Surely, the ability to find information among bullshit is one of the key skills anyone on the internet needs to have. The funny thing about Steam reviews is that you can mostly ignore positive reviews because of that.
Out of interest, do you have any recollection what those games were where even gameplay videos didn't prepare you enough for the experience?

Maybe they didn't feel like researching the game a lot and/or didn't like the feel of the game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GrossMurpel posted:

Hey: Steam offers the ability to return a game and there is no downside at all for someone to use this feature. It's a nice and cool thing and you should appreciate it exists for everyone else even if you don't use it yourself. You want to be more pro-consumer, not less.
If someone wants to return it for any reason then that's OK. They aren't on trial.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Breaking, from a Polish interview: There will be sex. Lots of it.

Your gender affects some of these possibilities.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
gasp

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The nudity's also not going to be a rare thing in general by the sound of it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
They already confirmed that you'll be able to see your own body in fist person, so yeah I'm absolutely running around with my pecker out and flopping around 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

communism bitch posted:

They already confirmed that you'll be able to see your own body in fist person, so yeah I'm absolutely running around with my pecker out and flopping around 24/7

Not me, I'm always going to be cyberhard.