Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Which way could we go to sell someone the location of this water?

Up above (home base) is a small frontier style town with a couple factions. One of them controls the water condenser for the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Why would we run back home immediately after taking all these risks to gather enough supplies to stay in the field longer?

Go explore and try to find some shiny poo poo

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Go up and get that money (and maybe get someone else eaten by sewercroc)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Rock 10% Ignore 54
Rock 20% Aggress 14
Rock 30% Ignore 40
Camelpak 60% ignore 62
Camelpak 80% ignore 83[/i]

What dice system are you using?

Vote: Go below.

Now that we know of a resupply location, we can splunk for a few days, refresh our water again on the way up, then head back to town (i.e., vendor run).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

What dice system are you using?

Vote: Go below.

Now that we know of a resupply location, we can splunk for a few days, refresh our water again on the way up, then head back to town (i.e., vendor run).

So far, d100s :D

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

So far, d100s :D

You're using actual dice for a CYOA??! :psyboom:

I thought you forgot how after the 'nuke'? :ocelot: :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

You're using actual dice for a CYOA??! :psyboom:

I thought you forgot how after the 'nuke'? :ocelot: :)

New character :D As we power up, dice become less important. Ohone is a max xp Ascension toon by Arc 5 or so.

This toon, they dont even have a gun yet.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

This toon, they dont even have a gun yet.

Then we best get to farming rats and kobolds.

left click repeatedly to stab.

:clint:

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Down/Explore

No way we’d get paid up front for the location of the gator lake. Best case we get paid later but we don’t have the lucre to sit around. Worst case we face repercussions if the expedition to secure the lake goes poorly or the gang holding the condensers decides to snuff the competition.

We should head deeper to find something that hasn’t been scavenged to the bone.

We can hit up the lake again on the way up to potentially resupply or re-assess. Maybe the lake gets bigger and easier to harvest. Maybe the gator gets fed or mauls something we can loot. Maybe something bigger and nastier eats the gator.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 16, 2018

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Deeper, greedier.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

mepstein73 posted:

Deeper, greedier.

All I'm saying is that I want to find a Balrog, wait until it goes to sleep, and steal its fire whip to sell for soy pellets.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DEEP!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Deeper. :quagmire:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

We have to go deeper

“We can go below, explore a bit, come back and refill. No one is going to find this place in three days.”
She nodded consideringly. “Yeah, okay. Gone below further than this?”
You chuckled. “Not as a rule.”
“Me neither.”

“Heard anything about what’s there?”
Aurelia snorted. “Same as you. Ferals and monsters.”
“And loot.”
“And loot.” You considered the downward sloping tunnels. “I’m feeling lucky.”
“Oh good. You know I can run faster than you right.”
“It’s not about running, it’s about knowing the right way.” You replied airily.
Another snort. “Sure. And you know the way.”
“I will once we start.”

She looked at the lower tiers appraisingly. “What you thinking?”
The floors had shifted some aeon ago, the foundations of the skyscrapers acting like tectonic plates. Steel bars and concrete formed their layers, and water erosion has twisted it further. Here are there, old floors had broken apart, showing the darkness below, and you couldn’t help but notice that the copper wiring had been torn out of all the walls.

You tapped your lips thoughtfully. “Well. We could go the slow route, travel along the floors. Maybe find some stairs. Or we could set up some rope and see how deep we can go in one move.”

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Set up some rope! No risk, no reward!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Rope is dope. But cable works better if we can find it. The bads are probably camping on the intermediately lower levels leaving their stashes unguarded.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Charlie Bronson's always got rope.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

The floors had shifted some aeon ago, the foundations of the skyscrapers acting like tectonic plates. Steel bars and concrete formed their layers, and water erosion has twisted it further. Here are there, old floors had broken apart, showing the darkness below, and you couldn’t help but notice that the copper wiring had been torn out of all the walls.

So, the whole 'Hive' is coming down, eventually?

Loel posted:

You tapped your lips thoughtfully. “Well. We could go the slow route, travel along the floors. Maybe find some stairs. Or we could set up some rope and see how deep we can go in one move.”

Vote: Rope. Let's just 'port to sublevel 11 and start at the 'good stuff'.

Also, hotkey 'Y' to 'Townportal'.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CourValant posted:

So, the whole 'Hive' is coming down, eventually?

Ill have you know my settings are famous for their durability

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Ill have you know my settings are famous for their durability

Sure, given enough 'timey-whimey' shenanigans. :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Not now Charles

Aurelia raised her eyebrows. “This place has been worked over for a thousand years. Nothing here worth the search.”
You nodded. “Quite agree. Let’s make some money.”

It was a matter of moments before you had a rope looped around the central column. You both checked the knots, just to be sure, and she nodded. “Okay. You ready?”
“I thought you’d be going first.”
“Oh no, I’m much better up here. Guarding the rope against all comers.”
You rolled your eyes. “Fine. But if you cut the rope I’m going to haunt you and your descendants.”
“Good, they’ll probably need the company. Haven’t been impressed by my kids so far.”
“You have kids?”
“Maybe?”

You snorted. “Fine mother you are.”
“I have the maternal instincts of a hamster.”
“You really do. Fine, pretend I am a kitten of one of the flourocats.”
“Meow.”
“There you go.” You hooked the rope through a makeshift harness, looped it around wrist, leg and foot. Looked into the blackness. “This is a bad idea.”
“You’ll do fine.” And she gave you a gentle push.

Your hands and feet reflexively gripped the rope, and you took a calming breath as you were lowered into the depths. Around you was a complete darkness unlike anything you had ever encountered, and you could feel blind eyes watching you.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

. . . and you could feel blind eyes watching you.

This is a great line.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

CourValant posted:

This is a great line.

It really is.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

halls of the blind

You stretched out your senses, desperately searching for anything besides this void. It would be … strange, but not impossible, for the ever-distant floor to be beyond the range of your rope. In your experience, the buildings slumped and crumbled over each other like so many old drunken men. There had to be a bottom to this somewhere.

Your eyes weren’t - couldn’t - adapt to the total black. After a certain point, you thought they were just sending random nerve signals, presenting vague hallucinations, and you dismissed them. In the distance, you thought you could hear something. Aurelia was still giving more slack to the rope, but if you was speaking you couldn’t hear it.

There were the chirps of animals, rats or echolocating pigeons. Good eating, both of them, but they were disinclined to wander into your waiting hands down here. Instead, you could only listen to the disorienting echoes, colonies of whatever they were observing the strange inteloper in their midst.

Something was coming, though. You could tell by the way the chirps quieted, and by the sound of its movement. Either a dozen bipeds … or a very large thing with dozens of legs. You considered the thought uneasily, and wondered which would be worse. Wondered if whatever it was could see you, could sense you.

It was getting close, you were pretty sure. And based on the echoes, it seemed like the floor was getting close too.

What do you do?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Got a light?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Light it up

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Plan LCT because I'd been trying to remember the name of Gone with the Blastwave for like a year or five now, thanks!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Vavrek posted:

Plan LCT because I'd been trying to remember the name of Gone with the Blastwave for like a year or five now, thanks!

Its such a good comic.

Pairs well with Romantically Apocalyptic :3:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Let's at least see the thing that's going to eat us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How did I miss this one?

Light it up.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

CourValant posted:

Let's at least see the thing that's going to eat us.

We're gonna eat it right back. Doubly so if Slaan gets his blood up for this thread too.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Eat them before they eat you

“Psst! Aurelia!” Your voice was a sharp undertone. “I’m blind down here!”
You couldn’t catch her reply, something muttered. A moment later something landed on your face, and you flinched back. Reached for it. A quick investigation showed an oblong shape - by the smell, a chemical flare. Attached to it was another rope, and you unhooked it carefully. Tugged at it, and the rope ascended where it came from.

The sounds were getting closer. You considered the matter carefully, guessed to about where they were coming from. Uncapped the lid, threw in that general direction.

Even prepared for it, the phosphorus left searing after-images on your eyes. You blinked rapidly, trying to ignore the spotting, even as you tried to follow the light down amongst the sounds. It was easily another thirty meters or more down, and you couldn’t even guess how large the chamber was. Here and there, vast support beams showed the weight of years, and a thousand critters erupted from them, fleeing the light.

As the flare spun downwards, the shadows bent and twisted dizzyingly, and you almost lost your footing. The rope was swaying uneasily, and you could only half follow the light. It landed in a pile of rubbish, burning sullenly, and the chamber dimmed. You noticed two things however.

First: there was a travois built for transit, and a reinforced box of some sort was resting on it. Very heavy, very secure.

Second: there were a number of bipeds that had started near it, and were now sprinting towards you.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:derp:

Remember location for later retrieval, GTFO.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Blasphemaster posted:

:derp:

Remember location for later retrieval, GTFO.

Remember the location of a box being transported? These new friends were clearly hauling it somewhere. It won't be here when we get back.

Not saying GTFO isn't a good plan though... dem teeth.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Mortal Kombat!
(dun dun dun dun-dun dun)

But seriously, we've got a gas grenade that would be perfect in this scenario. We're still well above the floor, so drop that, climb up a bit, and wait for the air to clear.

(Totally picturing this as something we'd have, but if we don't... eh. Capsaicin powder could also be fun.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I vote to be aroused in a confusing and counterproductive manner.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Vavrek posted:

I vote to be aroused in a confusing and counterproductive manner.

Start humming the tune of Baby's on Fire?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blasphemaster posted:

Start humming the tune of Baby's on Fire?

God damnit, you rear end in a top hat.

Bay-be's on fi-ah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

First: there was a travois built for transit, and a reinforced box of some sort was resting on it. Very heavy, very secure.

How much time do we have before them morlocks get to us?

Possible to rapid descent, grab the pack, and emergency ascent without becoming food?

Otherwise, save the last bullet for ourselves?

• Locked thread