Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think the replay value for Sekiro will come from tactical variety rather than build variety. That’s why the verticality was added and emphasized. So I kind of think it might be like an action-adventure 3rd person Shadow Tactics, with boss fights.

So instead of “this is my sorc build” it will be “this playthrough I’m going to stealth kill the whole game.”

Also, with the addition of the grappling hook, the world will be much more vertical than past games. Possibly letting you explore areas in any order that you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Goons, I know it's at least 8 months off....but let's stay hyped. TOGETHER.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I can only remain so erect, waiting for this, Death Stranding, and Cyberpunk. Already lightheaded, my dudes. Hlp plz

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also PC version had the steam logo incase people worrying Activision puts it on battle.net.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

I like all of these articles coming out from E3 attendees about how Sekiro is going to be way different than previous souls games. It's almost as if *galaxy brain* it's not a Souls game.

Looks cool though!

I'm looking forward to it due to it being well-funded and its director producing 4 of my most-played games in his last 5 efforts. I don't care if you play a penguin shooting ice beams out of its rear end with a Borderlands loot system.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
All of the stuff in the OP that I hadn't seen before now makes me even more excited for this.

Also, doesn't it look like there's an axe in the trailer? Or is that just the grappling hook in the mech arm?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Locking down week 1 purchase! I still play Dark Souls 3 more than any other game right now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Also, doesn't it look like there's an axe in the trailer? Or is that just the grappling hook in the mech arm?

They're calling it "Hidden Axe". It's one of the ninja tools that alters the moveset, perhaps for guardbreak on shield enemies. :black101:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

hidden ninja axe! ninja karate chop!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, as it stands, these are the tools we know about

- Fan Shield
- Grappling Hook
- Hidden Axe
- Shuriken
- Firecracker
- Hand Cannon

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I am excited to see devs like From and CDPR branch away from what they know and create things that are genuinely new and exciting. I can understand trepidation, but I also trust these developers and reckon their vision will be something very special for players.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

So is it fashionable now to poo poo on Bloodborne? I hear people complaining about the RPG elements... like, do you not enjoy seeing numbers go up? You know cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG right?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, as it stands, these are the tools we know about

- Fan Shield
- Grappling Hook
- Hidden Axe
- Shuriken
- Firecracker
- Hand Cannon

I know you have to pick your tools at checkpoints but if you can have multiple tools on you. I would love to see Grapple hooking into an enemy and hand cannon blasting them in the face.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ulio posted:

I know you have to pick your tools at checkpoints but if you can have multiple tools on you. I would love to see Grapple hooking into an enemy and hand cannon blasting them in the face.

Bet you start with one slot and can get up to 2 or 3 from arm upgrades. Then NG+ is how you get to do early game with all the toys. Boom. Replay value without builds.

Still want fashion though.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Dissertation On A Blade Of Grass - wherein I analyze the secret meanings in this 2:30 trailer for 3 hours, only on patreon.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

So is it fashionable now to poo poo on Bloodborne? I hear people complaining about the RPG elements... like, do you not enjoy seeing numbers go up? You know cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG right?

I dunno, I certainly don't mind the RPG elements in BB but I'm also interested in seeing what From does with a different progression system.

Unless it's like Nioh's overly complicated bullshit, but From seems to be more about streamlining rather than adding a bunch of separate progression systems.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You could take all the RPG elements out of BB and have the game solely work off your trick weapon selection and it would still own.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Ulio posted:

That kind of reminds me of Mark of the Ninja. It offered a lot of options without really changing the core gameplay.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Ain't no one making GBS threads on Bloodborne? :shrug:

Numbers/builds just limit you on each run to using one weapon/weapon type. The weapons themselves were cool and fun, but just allocating arbitrary points into stats wasn't. There's an argument to be made for people who love the idea of "builds" but I'm not the one to make it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

JBP posted:

You could take all the RPG elements out of BB and have the game solely work off your trick weapon selection and it would still own.

Yep. This hits home when you try BL4 because weapon upgrades do a ton to indicate progress without messing with levels in any way.

Of course, BL4 gets way more brutal than a game with other methods of character progression would since you don’t gain health or new abilities apart from weapon damage from upgrades, so later bosses just wreck your poo poo even more than usual.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder if the handcannon is actually a defensive item like the blunderbuss in BB.

The shield thing he did in the trailer also seemed very reactive probably not something you can just walk out with to block strikes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ulio posted:

I wonder if the handcannon is actually a defensive item like the blunderbuss in BB.

The shield thing he did in the trailer also seemed very reactive probably not something you can just walk out with to block strikes.

It's also possible that the hand-cannon is more of a flame-thrower.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Very jazzed to see another entry into the line of Games About One-armed Dudes Who Jump Off Ledges and Swing on Stuff, as I'm sure OP is as well.

I'm worried that this and Shadow of Tsushima will somehow set into motion the development of Bushido Blade 3, because I don't want to know what it's like to die of priapism.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

The thing about Bloodeborne vs DS, is that while the trick weapons were really cool, the lack of build variety really hampered the replay value. I'm a little cautious about the sword-only style, but if you can customize you character is other ways, I'll be all for it.

Also the lack of multiplayer is a bit of a bummer. Multiplayer and build variety are the reason I kept going back to DS2/DS3. Miyazaki said that there are multiple endings, but I rarely go back and play a game for multiple endings when youtube exists. This game looks awesome, but it looks like a play once then forget it kind of game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Very jazzed to see another entry into the line of Games About One-armed Dudes Who Jump Off Ledges and Swing on Stuff, as I'm sure OP is as well.

I'm worried that this and Shadow of Tsushima will somehow set into motion the development of Bushido Blade 3, because I don't want to know what it's like to die of priapism.

God, your av still cracks me the gently caress up.

Also 'priapism' has literally been the name of every character I've ever created in a Miyazaki game, so I think we might be on the same page. I think Unending Boner is a great way to describe my love affair with his creations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I haven’t looked at the Ghosts of Tsushima gameplay yet, but how does it compare to Sekiro? I’m going to want both, aren’t I?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If this is Onimusha + Tenchu, Tsushima is Bushido Blade + Assassins Creed.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

I haven’t looked at the Ghosts of Tsushima gameplay yet, but how does it compare to Sekiro? I’m going to want both, aren’t I?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSAvzeopPC8

here's a gameplay video
yeah looks like both will be awesome

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sakurazuka posted:

What a time to be alive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All I really know for sure about this game is that it's a From Software game where I get to be a cool self-reviving ninja with a goddamn grappling hook and that's all I need to me 100% sold. I don't care if there are non-katana weapons or what the character progression system is. I can be a ninja with a grappling hook and stab monsters.

I'd put money on there being multiple weapons, though. Even action games that focus on a lot of depth with a single weapon usually have at least one or two other weapons, whether they're treated as sub-weapons (like in Metal Gear Rising) or get just as much depth to their mechanics as the first weapon (like even Kratos's fists do in the new God of War). Miyazaki also did say there's character progression (though what game doesn't have that these days) which suggests there are at least some choices to be made on how you progress.

I love the idea that enemies don't have a health meter so much as a stagger meter, too. It feels much more ninja to put your enemies off-balance and then finish them with a single, decisive strike.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Definitely a different kind of game and looks pretty cool, too. You'll probably want to play both, assuming "samurai Assassin's Creed, basically" appeals to you on the Ghost of Tsushima side of things.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Beautiful scenery and fluid movement and traversal interests me about rear end Creed. But the dumb plots, repetitive quests, vanilla combat, and dumb item collecting doesn’t interest me.

Ghosts better have some good combat and enemy variety. I’m not a huge fan of that over the shoulder offset camera angle for melee games.

Sekiro, however, yeah it gets by on From new IP rep alone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Beautiful scenery and fluid movement and traversal interests me about rear end Creed. But the dumb plots, repetitive quests, vanilla combat, and dumb item collecting doesn’t interest me.

Ghosts better have some good combat and enemy variety. I’m not a huge fan of that over the shoulder offset camera angle for melee games.

Sekiro, however, yeah it gets by on From new IP rep alone.

Side note, but check out AssCreed Origins. The plot is no less dumb, but the quests are much less repetitive now, and there are fewer meaningless collectibles. They went for RPG-style quests with some actual context and story content and it made for a pretty fun game. Odyssey looks like it's going to be that, but more.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This looks real good, but sad about seemingly no MP and I wish they would've just called it Tenchu it's right there you bastards! :arghfist:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

This looks real good, but sad about seemingly no MP and I wish they would've just called it Tenchu it's right there you bastards! :arghfist:

I've played most of the Tenchu games and I'm comfortable saying that Tenchu is decidedly less weird than what Sekiro seems to be going for.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Miyazaki mentioned in an interview that they considered using the Tenchu IP but decided it might influence their game design too much so they made a new IP

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Miyazaki mentioned in an interview that they considered using the Tenchu IP but decided it might influence their game design too much so they made a new IP

The rough cut of that interview is in the OP

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Ya this sums it up pretty well. Sekiro will probably will be a deeper game with more mechanics. Tsushima also looks fun albeit more simpler like AC or Arkham Knight but a lot more cinematic. They said they were heavily inspired by Kurosawa samurai flicks so I am expecting some great visuals.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I hope the first mission has us punishing an evil merchant, with a pink kimono wearing katana/handcannon combo mid boss. Choosing the wrong party to crash line is optional.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

OxMan posted:

I hope the first mission has us punishing an evil merchant, with a pink kimono wearing katana/handcannon combo mid boss. Choosing the wrong party to crash line is optional.

Echigoya forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I love the composers for DS and BB, but I kind of wish Miyazaki was employing Noriyuki Asakura for at least some of the Sekiro soundtrack.

Listen if you dare; Tenchu 1-3 have possibly the best-aging videogame soundtracks of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjFuk5_xCSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQIYoiKZ5Oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPLGtG2Nk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuatOQOTVNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgSQcY89SSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux5Jw3_5Vdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkx567_hLDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nwafoKFK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYfD4NwIbxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5gg-3DdV-s