Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

He became the Total Package right in front of our eyes :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I believe it was all backstage with some establishing shots from before the show but sadly it is one of the QVC specials I haven't tracked down. I need this one and the second Goldberg special.

I might have a clip of the Four Horsemen portions.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2R0v1I_-ys

what was that about

this is actually the nitro segment that immediately followed the luger one

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
2:35

Never change, Bobby! :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The sad part is, "Total Package" Lex was more appealing on the mic than he'd probably ever been, but by that point his body was too shot for him to work well anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I might have a clip of the Four Horsemen portions.

It would be much appreciated.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

exploded mummy posted:

what was that about

brings a smile to my face everytime.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

It would be much appreciated.

I thought I still had the clip, but the tape I thought it was on was from earlier than I had labeled it.

I tossed out more than 150 VHS tapes a couple of years ago. That tape apparently didn't make the cut. Sorry to get your hopes up.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Odd, I remember when he was known only as The Total Package but I don’t remember this vignette with the funeral and all that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fart blood posted:

Odd, I remember when he was known only as The Total Package but I don’t remember this vignette with the funeral and all that.

for the longest time I thought it was the promo for Dustin Rhodes's WCW not Goldust thing until Lex was revealed and I was like "SON OF A BITCH!" So its absolutely batshit, exciting way they could rehab him from Fubu wearing Lex.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

what was that about

I wish the name of this video wasn't retarded so I could actually find it now and then

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

fart blood posted:

neither did I! Also, my memories included way more smoke machines than the actual event

I definitely remembered the awkward intense posing right at the camera tho.

with my luck, I'll be on my deathbed in my hundreds, unable to recall my parents' names or my children's faces, and even as my consciousness dims into darkness for the very last time, the last images flickering in my mind's eye will be of The Total Package flexin his pecs

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Luger funeral, the first Seven segment, and the Hogan cut the pants off segment are back-to-back-to-back and that makes me incredibly happy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dont even fink about it posted:

I wish the name of this video wasn't retarded so I could actually find it now and then

I'm glad I made it hard for you to find.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The Luger funeral, the first Seven segment, and the Hogan cut the pants off segment are back-to-back-to-back and that makes me incredibly happy.

Still can't believe when I cut that up years ago there was so much quality in such a short timeframe.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Randaconda posted:

Hogan dropping the leg on Gawker is unironically the best thing he's ever done.

love 2 dismantle freedom of the press with my best boy hulk hogan

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I'm glad I made it hard for you to find.

:argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGOKAVPYZOw

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/ProperJam/status/1010660306689785856

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Listening to some music from 98, just put it together that Master P had that song “I got the hookup / holla if you hear me”

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I'm about to watch Hogan/Warrior from Halloween Havoc '98. Pray for me.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorDelaware posted:

I'm about to watch Hogan/Warrior from Halloween Havoc '98. Pray for me.

Goldberg/DDP is the next match, though, and it owns.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Goldberg/DDP is the next match, though, and it owns.

Yes it does. Though I half wondering if the Network feed of it would cut out at the start of the match, like the PPV did.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does anybody remember Asya? I'm surprised the Death of WCW doesn't mention this brilliant idea.

Christi Wolf is a cool lady though and I looked up some of her bodybuilding stuff from back in the day. Could almost bench 300. Also her thighs could realistically kill a man.

I remember liking the Revolution back when I watched Nitro as a little kid.

Also, kinda related, how "legit" are lifting feats for showing a wrestler's strength? For example, Asya did a hanging vertical suplex to Eddie at Mayhem and held him up there for a good 5 or 6 seconds as i recall. I thought that was pretty impressive but I'm not sure how much actaul strength is required.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 13, 2018

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anybody remember Asya? I'm surprised the Death of WCW doesn't mention this brilliant idea.

Get it? Asia is bigger than China!

*she's noticeably smaller than Chyna*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Christi Wolf is a cool lady though and I looked up some of her bodybuilding stuff from back in the day. Could almost bench 300. Also her thighs could realistically kill a man.

I remember liking the Revolution back when I watched Nitro as a little kid.

Also, kinda related, how "legit" are lifting feats for showing a wrestler's strength? For example, Asya did a hanging vertical suplex to Eddie at Mayhem and held him up there for a good 5 or 6 seconds as i recall. I thought that was pretty impressive but I'm not sure how much actaul strength is required.

I want to say it brings up the gimmick briefly, but gives it about as much attention as WCW did

At least it doesnt spend time about how there was an angle with Vampiro killing her with pyro.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Another failing of the Death of WCW was how it pretty much glossed over Sid's injury. Sure it says it was horrific but, from what I know, it was also entirely WCW's fault. Sid absolutely didn't want to do it but some rear end in a top hat in the back ordered him to. That really should be in the book.

Sorry, I listened to it several times while away from the Internet for two months. I also have no idea why the Radicalz left WCW. The book says Bush told everyone Sullivan would be on the C weekend show and it made everyone happy. Next sentence Bush said they were all being sent home and then he gave them their releases. I don't get it at all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Another failing of the Death of WCW was how it pretty much glossed over Sid's injury. Sure it says it was horrific but, from what I know, it was also entirely WCW's fault. Sid absolutely didn't want to do it but some rear end in a top hat in the back ordered him to. That really should be in the book.

Sorry, I listened to it several times while away from the Internet for two months. I also have no idea why the Radicalz left WCW. The book says Bush told everyone Sullivan would be on the C weekend show and it made everyone happy. Next sentence Bush said they were all being sent home and then he gave them their releases. I don't get it at all.

part of the abruptness in the audiobook is that they occasionally write sidebar sections into the chapters, and Bryan read them like he was reading part of the chapter's narrative

the Radicalz leaving is the culmination of a bunch of things

In the eary years of Hogan's tenure, Kevin Sullivan was made head of WCW's booking committee by Eric BIschoff because he was good at appeasing Hogan, which also kind of meant screwing the undercard at the expense of Hogan's ego. Sullivan would remain on the booking committee for most of the rest of WCW, but generally as time went on, post-'96 his influence waned in favor of Bischoff, Hogan, and Nash (who himself later became head booker)

In 1996, in order to keep on television, Kevin Sullivan books himself into a feud with Chris Benoit that ultimately that ends up with Benoit in story and in real life seducing Sullivan's wife Nancy away, and the two move in and eventually marry (and way down the line it just doesn't end well)

2 years after the Montreal Screwjob, WCW under Russo finally really wanted to use Bret Hart as a world champion, so they did an entire tournament that heavilly featured him and Chris Benoit as building them up as stars of the future where Hart ultimately won the title at the November PPV.

the booking plan for Bret's title run as far as it ends up shaking out is that they would do some screwjobesque finishes with Goldberg in December, while then moving onto Sid Vicious in January at Souled Out. (Goldberg might been in the original contention for the January PPV, but he's injured and unable to perform weeks before, and they have a proper build with Sid)

Ultimately though, the Bret gets repeatedly concussed by Goldberg and is ultimately forced to retire. While it happens in December, WCW tries to get Bret to come back, but he can't get medical clearance, and the week of the PPV, WCW decides to change course. So after weeks of hyping up Bret/Sid for the PPV, Bret instead formally drops the title during January PPV

so with Bret gone, the next person in line for the WCW title match was Jeff Jarrett. Jarrett was feuding with Chris Benoit and by proxy the Revolution (Benoit, Malenko, Saturn, Asya, and Shane Douglas) at the time of the PPV. And also then-WCW commissioner Terry Funk for some reason. Benoit and Jarrett were going to wrestle a "Triple Threat Theater" series of matches (read: Three Stages of Hell) over the course of the PPV. Unfortunately by the time they made the decision to move Jarrett formally in line, he wrestled on WCW Nitro that week. And for some god only knows reason, as part of his feud with Terry Funk, he wrestled a triple threat theater series of matches and lost to George the Animal Steele, Tito Santana, and Jimmy Snuka ITYOOL 2000.

Jarrett somehow suffered a concussion taking a Superfly Splash from the top of the cage on Nitro and was then pulled off the PPV.

With the first 2 matches now off the PPV and no TV to do anything, Russo started to panic, and after months of lovely ratings, the straw that got him sent home was changing the world title match to a battle royale with Tank Abbott winning

With Russo sent home, WCW reverted back to using their booking committee to produce the PPV, which meant that now Kevin Sullivan was a lot more powerful backstage than he had been in years

This pisses off a lot of wrestlers, including the Radicalz, Shane Douglas, Rey Mysterio, and Konnan, who all liked Russo a hell of a lot more than they did Kevin Sullivan (This was also 4 months in Russo, and he hadn't pissed everyone off like he did in his second stint), mostly because of that entire 1995 and 1996 booking era where the opening and midcard guys were buried. Also for Benoit (and by proxy Malenko/Guerrero/Saturn), there was the entire Nancy situation.

in the underreported part of the story, someone in WCW management (I forget exactly who) physically threatens them to comply, and they refuse, and basically gives the group excellent legal cause to sue the company for their release

so then the PPV in an attempt to pacify this entire situation and keep them and not getting sued, Benoit wrestles Sid for the WCW title and wins it. Billy Kidman instead now wrestles a Triple Threat Theater matches where he's buried by The Wall.

Benoit, Douglas and the Radicalz see through the political ploy, and force the company to give them their release after the PPV. Konnan tries to leave as well but gets suspended. Mysterio ends up staying.

After all is said and done, Malenko negotiates WWF to hire all of them except for Shane Douglas, who is screwed over, and slinks back to WCW for a new contract.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Konnan tries to leave as well but gets suspended.

Bruce Prichard told a funny story about this part on his podcast a few years ago, which I just happened to listen to this morning. The same day that they heard from The Radicalz, and were working to set up that whole thing, he says he got a call at the office from Konnan, who was also looking to jump ship. Prichard knew Konnan and knew what a big star he was in Mexico and everything, but on the phone he kept just referring to himself as "K-Dogg" and Bruce didn't know who that was because he hadn't really been following WCW. So he basically just told him to send them some tapes and blew him off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

That rear end in a top hat was John Lauranitis.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

exploded mummy posted:

in the underreported part of the story, someone in WCW management (I forget exactly who) physically threatens them to comply, and they refuse, and basically gives the group excellent legal cause to sue the company for their release

This was Mike Graham, I believe.

exploded mummy posted:

After all is said and done, Malenko negotiates WWF to hire all of them except for Shane Douglas, who is screwed over, and slinks back to WCW for a new contract.

Douglas probably was never going to get back into WWF anyway after the Dean run was such a bust. He had too many enemies there. Same with Konnan from when he was the original Max Moon. McMahon brings back people who’ve done way worse but sometimes he randomly holds a grudge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Douglas had to go to XPW for awhile before WCW brought him back. He sucks but the Radicals were pretty dickish to him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

part of the abruptness in the audiobook is that they occasionally write sidebar sections into the chapters, and Bryan read them like he was reading part of the chapter's narrative

the Radicalz leaving is the culmination of a bunch of things

In the eary years of Hogan's tenure, Kevin Sullivan was made head of WCW's booking committee by Eric BIschoff because he was good at appeasing Hogan, which also kind of meant screwing the undercard at the expense of Hogan's ego. Sullivan would remain on the booking committee for most of the rest of WCW, but generally as time went on, post-'96 his influence waned in favor of Bischoff, Hogan, and Nash (who himself later became head booker)

In 1996, in order to keep on television, Kevin Sullivan books himself into a feud with Chris Benoit that ultimately that ends up with Benoit in story and in real life seducing Sullivan's wife Nancy away, and the two move in and eventually marry (and way down the line it just doesn't end well)

2 years after the Montreal Screwjob, WCW under Russo finally really wanted to use Bret Hart as a world champion, so they did an entire tournament that heavilly featured him and Chris Benoit as building them up as stars of the future where Hart ultimately won the title at the November PPV.

the booking plan for Bret's title run as far as it ends up shaking out is that they would do some screwjobesque finishes with Goldberg in December, while then moving onto Sid Vicious in January at Souled Out. (Goldberg might been in the original contention for the January PPV, but he's injured and unable to perform weeks before, and they have a proper build with Sid)

Ultimately though, the Bret gets repeatedly concussed by Goldberg and is ultimately forced to retire. While it happens in December, WCW tries to get Bret to come back, but he can't get medical clearance, and the week of the PPV, WCW decides to change course. So after weeks of hyping up Bret/Sid for the PPV, Bret instead formally drops the title during January PPV

so with Bret gone, the next person in line for the WCW title match was Jeff Jarrett. Jarrett was feuding with Chris Benoit and by proxy the Revolution (Benoit, Malenko, Saturn, Asya, and Shane Douglas) at the time of the PPV. And also then-WCW commissioner Terry Funk for some reason. Benoit and Jarrett were going to wrestle a "Triple Threat Theater" series of matches (read: Three Stages of Hell) over the course of the PPV. Unfortunately by the time they made the decision to move Jarrett formally in line, he wrestled on WCW Nitro that week. And for some god only knows reason, as part of his feud with Terry Funk, he wrestled a triple threat theater series of matches and lost to George the Animal Steele, Tito Santana, and Jimmy Snuka ITYOOL 2000.

Jarrett somehow suffered a concussion taking a Superfly Splash from the top of the cage on Nitro and was then pulled off the PPV.

With the first 2 matches now off the PPV and no TV to do anything, Russo started to panic, and after months of lovely ratings, the straw that got him sent home was changing the world title match to a battle royale with Tank Abbott winning

With Russo sent home, WCW reverted back to using their booking committee to produce the PPV, which meant that now Kevin Sullivan was a lot more powerful backstage than he had been in years

This pisses off a lot of wrestlers, including the Radicalz, Shane Douglas, Rey Mysterio, and Konnan, who all liked Russo a hell of a lot more than they did Kevin Sullivan (This was also 4 months in Russo, and he hadn't pissed everyone off like he did in his second stint), mostly because of that entire 1995 and 1996 booking era where the opening and midcard guys were buried. Also for Benoit (and by proxy Malenko/Guerrero/Saturn), there was the entire Nancy situation.

so then the PPV in an attempt to pacify this entire situation and keep them and not getting sued, Benoit wrestles Sid for the WCW title and wins it. Billy Kidman instead now wrestles a Triple Threat Theater matches where he's buried by The Wall.

Benoit, Douglas and the Radicalz see through the political ploy, and force the company to give them their release after the PPV. Konnan tries to leave as well but gets suspended. Mysterio ends up staying.

Wow, that's really interesting. Thanks for all the history. I love this kinda stuff.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That rear end in a top hat was John Lauranitis.

That's another thing that confused me about the book. Lauranitis is a name I only know from people making GBS threads on him online. But the Death of WCW has nothing but good things to say about him. (it's generally in comparison to Russo and Bischoff though)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Douglas had to go to XPW for awhile before WCW brought him back. He sucks but the Radicals were pretty dickish to him.

Didn’t know that. I always thought his heat with WWF brass hadn’t gone away.

gently caress, you know a lot.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

NikkolasKing posted:

That's another thing that confused me about the book. Lauranitis is a name I only know from people making GBS threads on him online. But the Death of WCW has nothing but good things to say about him. (it's generally in comparison to Russo and Bischoff though)

Lance Storm liked him too. Although, Johnny Ace was his biggest supporter backstage and he was getting a big push, so this shouldn’t come as a surprise.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Johnny Ace was a pretty decent booker. Not great, but he was fine. He just got promoted beyond his ability in WWE.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart blood posted:

This was Mike Graham, I believe.

Douglas probably was never going to get back into WWF anyway after the Dean run was such a bust. He had too many enemies there. Same with Konnan from when he was the original Max Moon. McMahon brings back people who’ve done way worse but sometimes he randomly holds a grudge.

Yeah, you're right it was Mike Graham, who supposedly pulled a knife on the group.

I don't think WWE really would have or should have signed Konnan. He really was the rare case of being super big in his early years and then declined sharply when other wrestlers really start moving into their primes. He was really getting blown up easilly in a lot of matches, and also kept getting hurt with muscle tears, so they kept him in tag matches and as a manager because he just couldn't be a singles guy anymore. And this is before the hip replacements.

NikkolasKing posted:

Generally people have good things to say about Johnny Ace on the production side of things. A lot of people tend to poo poo on him more for his on-screen presence and his issues managing talent contracts, but that's stuff that happened way after WCW died, and really not relevant to the book.

Ace had been working All Japan for about a decade in the '90s. In 1999, All Japan's founder Giant Baba passed away, and its biggest star Mitsuharu Misawa became the company president. In the middle of 2000, Giant Baba's wife Motoko got Misawa ousted as president, and she took over the position. Misawa in turn, took most of the roster and formed Pro Wrestling NOAH. Ace kind of just stayed the gently caress out of the schism and simply retired and moved back to the US and started working with WCW as an agent. (MRT feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I kind of don't want to go into an detailed AJPW tangent)

Ace really started out with WCW around June 2000. He mostly helping out as a road agent for the booking on main events and match finishes and got a lot of respect over that.

He kind of slowly got more power backstage because at this point, this was a few months into the Russo/Bischoff superteam reboot. Bischoff had basically completely hosed off creatively already at this point, and Russo was in this weird fugue of where he was there and wasn't there over the course of the summer, before he came back in the Fall, then got concussed a bunch, and was basically sent home for the final time. So with the vacuum, power kind of hoovered its way to Ace. After Russo left, he and Ed Ferrara were basically left with picking around with what scraps Russo had before the company was going to be sold.

The WCW locker room at the time really did like him, and its why he ended up getting his contract picked up by WWE, and ultimately moved up into the roles he became more infamous for later on.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

exploded mummy posted:

Yeah, you're right it was Mike Graham, who supposedly pulled a knife on the group.

Well who’s the source on that? Is it Graham himself? Because Mike Graham would’ve told you his farts smelled like potpourri.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I have never heard anyone tell a nice story about Mike Graham. Except Mike Graham.

As for Johnny Ace, I'm told he was a pretty honorable dude until it came to women. Like incapable of being respectful to women working at all. Then he turned into a party guy and became absolutely useless to WWE corporate(except for kissing a decade's worth of rear end).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart blood posted:

Well who’s the source on that? Is it Graham himself? Because Mike Graham would’ve told you his farts smelled like potpourri.

I want to say it was Saturn. I had always heard that Benoit and Malenko also told the story, but I never found out where they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

Didn’t know that. I always thought his heat with WWF brass hadn’t gone away.

gently caress, you know a lot.

I'm sure they didn't like him but Malenko lying to him and saying they weren't in negotiations with WWE at the moment they were in a Stamford hotel room made me feel really bad for Shane.

Briefly.